Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

feedmegin posted:

Our hotdogs come in jars or cans, in brine *spooky noises*

Those are sold as "vienna sausages" over here. I have no idea why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

limp_cheese posted:

Johnsonville brats aren't a normal thing in England? You poor bastard. We need to invade and occupy you just for that travesty.

I have never heard of Lakenheath, but a quick Google suggests an RAF airbase in Cambridgeshire, which is a day-trip bike ride from London for me.

Just how good are these 'brats'? I do love a decent dog. Is there a good chance of seeing some cool US planes in action too?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

StashAugustine posted:

The director actually posted that scene as explanation on these very forums

Wha?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

I don't remember the post in question, but Josh Sawyer, the project lead on New Vegas, is an active SA poster and used to post a bunch in the New Vegas threads.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

OwlFancier posted:

Part of me wants to see what would happen if you just dumped a bunch of like, second world war era military equipment on a roman legion, what would they do with it?

I mean the obvious one is Hannibal ending up crossing the alps much faster and in a T34.
Alternatively, Cannae with tanks for the encirclement. Personally, I don't think they'd recognize anything as really paradigm-changing, and would just stick with the things that improve their existing capabilities. Submachine guns are better than javelins for skirmishing, trucks are better than marching everywhere, cannons and tanks are better than scorpions and ballistae, bulldozers are better than shovels, ETC. Things that would make them a legion but better.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I don't remember the post in question, but Josh Sawyer, the project lead on New Vegas, is an active SA poster and used to post a bunch in the New Vegas threads.

aka "rope kid"

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Yep. Links to his posts if you're curious:

Modding thread
Current thread
Old PC thread (Requires archives)
Old Console Thread (Requires archives)

Worth a read, if you're interested in some behind-the-scenes information, as well as tips on how to actually play Caravan :v:

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 17, 2017

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Davin Valkri posted:

I have no idea why they're sold either. My dog won't touch the things, let alone the cat or anything human.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

OwlFancier posted:

Wait how else do you get a hotdog?

In a resealable bag/pouch in the refrigerated section of a supermarket, like civilized people.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Davin Valkri posted:

Vienna -> Wien -> Wiener

It's like a church lady trying to avoid saying gently caress.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

xiansi posted:

I have never heard of Lakenheath, but a quick Google suggests an RAF airbase in Cambridgeshire, which is a day-trip bike ride from London for me.

Just how good are these 'brats'? I do love a decent dog. Is there a good chance of seeing some cool US planes in action too?

'RAF' in theory only. You arent getting on base unless you know someone in the US air force. My wife is chapter president of a postgraduate sorority. :sun:

Sadly iirc their planes are mostly boring. Edit: no I guess it's Mildenhall that's all tankers.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 17, 2017

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Oh, that makes sense. Cool!

I just saw "Pat Garret and Billy the Kid" on TCM recently, so I'm glad it's already paying off.

So since we're tangentially talking about Sam Peckinpah, do people around here strong opinions about "Cross of Iron"?

e:

Davin Valkri posted:

In Canada Vienna sausages are suspiciously expensive garbage food - in the UK are vienna sausages just tiny hot dogs in a can?

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 17, 2017

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Vienna sausages shouldn't be served to humans.

Not even Canadians.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

People said that about SPAM too but all it took was a series of worldshaking events leading to large populations subsisting on unfamiliar humanitarian provisions to figure out how to make it taste good, and then changes in food and youth culture that elevated the poverty food of other cultures as 'traditional' and 'authentic' and now everybody loves the stuff :shrug:

You could probably bring poo poo-on-a-shingle and tin can grounds-in coffee into vogue if it was dished out from a tastefully minimalist food truck by vaguely-Civil-War-lookin' bearded hipsters.

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 17, 2017

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Oh, that makes sense. Cool!

I just saw "Pat Garret and Billy the Kid" on TCM recently, so I'm glad it's already paying off.

So since we're tangentially talking about Sam Peckinpah, do people around here strong opinions about "Cross of Iron"?

Cross of Iron has some sections that drag but the final battle scene is really amazing. Realistic and exciting.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

HookedOnChthonics posted:

People said that about SPAM too but all it took was a series of worldshaking events leading to large populations subsisting on unfamiliar humanitarian provisions to figure out how to make it taste good, and then changes in food and youth culture that elevated the poverty food of other cultures as 'traditional' and 'authentic' and now everybody loves the stuff :shrug:

You could probably bring poo poo-on-a-shingle and tin can grounds-in coffee into vogue if it was dished out from a tastefully minimalist food truck by vaguely-Civil-War-lookin' bearded hipsters.

SPAM, at least, didn't get the negative reputation until long after introduction. It was quite popular in the late 1930s when it was introduced, and (despite grumbling from soldiers, who would probably whine about choice steak if they were served it long enough) was quite popular during the war years and the first couple of post-war decades. It only got a bad rep in the 70s as a broke food, particularly after people started calling any kind of potted meat "spam".

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Gnoman posted:

SPAM, at least, didn't get the negative reputation until long after introduction. It was quite popular in the late 1930s when it was introduced, and (despite grumbling from soldiers, who would probably whine about choice steak if they were served it long enough) was quite popular during the war years and the first couple of post-war decades. It only got a bad rep in the 70s as a broke food, particularly after people started calling any kind of potted meat "spam".
Yeah, but people ate some absolutely dreadful dishes during the Great Depression so SPAM was probably an improvement. How about a casserole with canned corned beef, plain gelatin, canned peas, vinegar and lemon juice? Or one with pasta boiled for 25 minutes, overcooked carrots, and drowned with bland white sauce? Baked onion stuffed with peanut butter? Experts back then also thought that spicy foods made you nervous, so everything had to be as bland as possible.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

xiansi posted:

These are brats. They're basically bratwurst. They are big in the midwest and was a german food that Americans bastardized. Throw them on a grill for a while, put them in a bun with ketchep, and bam. drat good cookout food.

Edit: Forgot the most important part. You soak them in some beer, usually Budweiser or Miller because midwest America, on the stove after they are cooked.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 17, 2017

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Gnoman posted:

War has improved cheap food, strangely

Ramen noodles were invented by a Japanese dude post World War 2 who wanted to make a non-perishable somewhat nutritious food source. The occupation of Japan saw food get scarce for pretty much everyone.

Speaking of food:

Whale oil was considered so important that when war was declared in 1939 the British nationalized all their stocks of it, the book mentions

Bizarrely if off-shore ocean mining ever becomes a thing the former legal framework for international whaling will probably be helpful as a model

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

Bizarrely if off-shore ocean mining ever becomes a thing the former legal framework for international whaling will probably be helpful as a model

The off-shore ocean mining provisions of UNCLOS are ostensibly why the US never signed on.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
My wife is from Hawaii, and spam is a cornerstone of their cuisine (think party finger food), presumably since for a long time it was the only reasonably cheap meat that could be shipped and preserved there. The salty nature fits well into the existing Hawaiian and Japanese-influenced cuisine. It has no stigma there whatsoever. One popular dish is Spam Musubi, basically a sushi-like rice roll with slabs of fried spam inside.

Edit: Regarding beer-soaked brats or beans, you really get different flavors depending on the beer, and oftentimes a cheap beer will give a bit more pleasant taste overall.

pthighs fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 17, 2017

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's actually a really big problem in American Samoa where cheap imports of fatty foods like spam very quickly made their population overweight.

MantisClaw
Jun 3, 2011

pthighs posted:

Spam Spam Spam Spammitty Spam

I'd say it's more equivalent to a PB&J. It's cheap, easy to make, and everyone eats it. You're right about the lack of stigma though, part of it is that we realized it tastes better if you cook it rather than eat it straight from the can.

Likewise it's rise of popularity was less about preservation (at the time there was no shortage of fresh fish) and more availability. When the island was home to a bunch of GIs, trading was a great way to supplement rationing.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Nebakenezzer posted:

Ramen noodles were invented by a Japanese dude post World War 2 who wanted to make a non-perishable somewhat nutritious food source. The occupation of Japan saw food get scarce for pretty much everyone.

You seem to be implying it got worse after the occupation began, is that true? I would have thought it would have begun to improve (albeit not instantly) with the cessation of attacks on transport (although the harbour mines would still be present).

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
My grandpa forbid me from eating spam and vienna sausages because those were basically the only proteins he got in Manzanar. Its so strongly ingrained in me that even though I live in Hawaii and am surrounded by spam I still can't eat it, its like there's a mental block there.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

GotLag posted:

You seem to be implying it got worse after the occupation began, is that true? I would have thought it would have begun to improve (albeit not instantly) with the cessation of attacks on transport (although the harbour mines would still be present).

AFAIK it went from actual famine in the late war to mass shortages during the early years of occupation. Think mass starvation turning into mass malnutrition.

caveat: I barely know what I'm talking about.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

pthighs posted:

My wife is from Hawaii, and spam is a cornerstone of their cuisine (think party finger food), presumably since for a long time it was the only reasonably cheap meat that could be shipped and preserved there. The salty nature fits well into the existing Hawaiian and Japanese-influenced cuisine. It has no stigma there whatsoever. One popular dish is Spam Musubi, basically a sushi-like rice roll with slabs of fried spam inside.

Edit: Regarding beer-soaked brats or beans, you really get different flavors depending on the beer, and oftentimes a cheap beer will give a bit more pleasant taste overall.

Can confirm that musubi is delicious. A couple of places in the fine city of Salt Lake have it on the menu, and it's cheap and filling.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Never eaten spam, but I am weary of tins corned (hashed) beef and shudder to think it was part of the staple diet of a 20th century British soldier.

Plus by dad would get the more horrific injuries with the tin. If you are a clumsy person, don't eat food from those sort of tins.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Weary, wary, or both?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

GotLag posted:

Weary, wary, or both?

Both, to me it also smells....well, off.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

limp_cheese posted:

These are brats. They're basically bratwurst. They are big in the midwest and was a german food that Americans bastardized. Throw them on a grill for a while, put them in a bun with ketchep, and bam. drat good cookout food.

Edit: Forgot the most important part. You soak them in some beer, usually Budweiser or Miller because midwest America, on the stove after they are cooked.

Does anyone know where the Americanized brat came from? I love them both but it bears very little resemblance to an actual bratwurst.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

limp_cheese posted:

These are brats. They're basically bratwurst. They are big in the midwest and was a german food that Americans bastardized. Throw them on a grill for a while, put them in a bun with ketchep, and bam.

Putting ketchup on encased meats is sacrilege.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

bewbies posted:

Does anyone know where the Americanized brat came from? I love them both but it bears very little resemblance to an actual bratwurst.

Germans (and eventually their American kids) making their food with locally available ingredients. The "Italian" sausage you see in a supermarket isn't exactly what they're eating in Genoa, and I've heard the story's the same with our kielbasa.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

GotLag posted:

Checks out late 40s Germany which was also starving, or 1945 Holland. It takes time to rebuild food distribution in modern civilisation after total war.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

mlmp08 posted:

I don't think showing a picture of a Chicago dog really backs up your notion of encased meats having Very Specific Righteous and True Toppings. I kinda like those things from the novelty of throwing the kitchen sink on a hotdog but LOL at the notion that ketchup is somehow less pure than an entire pickle spear or slices of whole tomato.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

GotLag posted:

From what I've read it took a long time (several years) for the food situation to return to normal. Being able to access the wider world again isn't much help when your economy is in ruins and you've no money. It also took a while for Japanese money to stabilize as well, and that didn't help. It was better than the war, but it was still pretty miserable.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 17, 2017

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

david_a posted:

I don't think showing a picture of a Chicago dog really backs up your notion of encased meats having Very Specific Righteous and True Toppings. I kinda like those things from the novelty of throwing the kitchen sink on a hotdog but LOL at the notion that ketchup is somehow less pure than an entire pickle spear or slices of whole tomato.

I remember a few years ago a hot dog vendor at comerica park (Detroit tigers baseball) was fired because he refused to give people ketchup

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

mlmp08 posted:

When you're at a cookout or BBQ it's a pain in the rear end to get all those ingredients. Especially if it's a spontaneous one somewhere other than a house. Simplicity is sometimes more important then "flavor." Personally those have too many toppings on them and would be a pain in the rear end to eat standing up without a plate and not spilling all that poo poo on you.

Apologies if I brought on a big food derail. I forgot goons have ferocious opinions on food.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

Look. All the rules of civilization that you know of are arbitrary. There's nothing written into the laws of the universe that says you have to be nice to people, or killing is wrong, or don't steal, or any of the million other fairy dust rules we have made up that keep everything ticking over and the hordes of chaos from the gates. You need to learn early on that some things are bad just because so that all that other stuff goes down easier. Because all of that is the only thing that keeps people who put ketchup on hot dogs from being rounded up and shot like they deserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

limp_cheese posted:

When you're at a cookout or BBQ it's a pain in the rear end to get all those ingredients. Especially if it's a spontaneous one somewhere other than a house. Simplicity is sometimes more important then "flavor." Personally those have too many toppings on them and would be a pain in the rear end to eat standing up without a plate and not spilling all that poo poo on you.

Apologies if I brought on a big food derail. I forgot goons have ferocious opinions on food.

I'm just mad because now I'm hungry and want a brat :argh: