Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Aren't all tickets in Winnipeg season tickets?
In which case wouldn't all of them have been paid for well in advance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

A Typical Goon posted:

Apperently sports teams consider 99% attendance to be a sellout so by that metric they've sold out every single game for the past 6 seasons

They've also been between 10-20 in team revenue every year they've been in Winnipeg and have never had to accept revenue sharing from the league

So yeah, you're pretty wrong here. Unless over half the league is in financial trouble?

I think it's fair to say 99% is a sellout given that all the seats are probably sold, but people won't make it for a multitude of reasons. Case in point, one year for the Packers, they had the stadium filled in the playoffs but all of three seats. The ticket holders happened to be in the hospital having a child. You could argue it's not a sellout by the letter, but in the spirit of things it's still a sellout.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah sellouts are different from full attendance. All sellout means is every ticket was purchased.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Schlesische posted:

Aren't all tickets in Winnipeg season tickets?
In which case wouldn't all of them have been paid for well in advance?

I believe about 1500 tickets are held back for players families and team giveaways and stuff like that, but there are over 13000 season ticket holders. Winnipeg also has some of the most expensive tickets in the league and were eliminated from the playoffs early last season so it's not really surprising they'd have trouble getting rid a bunch of expensive end of season tickets after the Jets have been eliminated

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Kevyn posted:

Who says they don't sell out? This has them at over 100% attendance... http://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance/_/sort/homePct

i didn't realize attendance was that dire for carolina. drat

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

a false posted:

I mean, the way they've been the last few years, would you want to go?

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i'd rather see a mediocre team than a trainwreck, and carolina have been a picture of mediocrity while never quite sinking to the depths of abjection. yet they have been vastly outdrawn by teams that have been completely terrible. so i guess my answer would be, maybe?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

They're also stuck with competing for attention with UNC and Duke basketball, which can't help matters. I don't know how well they market themselves locally

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I think the bottom line is that some parts of the U.S. just can't/won't give a gently caress about hockey. Carolina's attendance was 21st in the league when they won the cup, and has only gotten worse. Compare that to Calgary, who haven't won a cup since 1989, and haven't been past the 2nd round since 2004, but finished 10th in attendance this season even though I suspect much of their fanbase knew they wouldn't go far in the playoffs. Some fans just care more about their local team and winning will only do so much for that, I guess. Conversely some towns are so entrenched their attendance is gonna be good no matter what. The Leafs and Red Wings come to mind.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 14, 2017

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
A lot of that is caused by people having other things to do, not necessarily hockey. LA is the second biggest market in the US and they've chased off 4 different football teams.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
I want to see MAF and James Neal both end up in Vegas.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
give me the protected list of the Canucks NHL

I need a top-up for my seething hatred of Jim Benning

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

JawKnee posted:

I have it for you:
F:
Sedin
Sedin

D:

G:
Luongo (despite him being long gone)

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

a false posted:

And now you see why Karmanos can't find a buyer willing to keep the Canes in Carolina despite removing the demand that he get to keep control.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

iospace posted:

I have it for you:
F:
Sedin
Sedin

D:

G:

So you're saying Sbisa, Gudbranson, and Sutter are not protected, then?

Please. Now I just feel better.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

JawKnee posted:

So you're saying Sbisa, Gudbranson, and Sutter are not protected, then?

Please. Now I just feel better.

They're not protected, but Vegas declines on them.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I'm fully expecting Benning to make a deal trading away his first in exchange for Vegas taking no-one, and for the Draft interview with GMGM to go something along the lines of:
"Well I'm really glad he offered that, we really didn't want to take anyone from Vancouver and he gave us the perfect out".

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

iospace posted:

I have it for you:
F:
Sedin
Sedin

D:

G:

Oh c'mon, Tanev's worth protecting

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

iospace posted:

They're not protected, but Vegas declines on them.

please try to be more realistic, you are breaking ~*my immersion*~

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think the bottom line is that some parts of the U.S. just can't/won't give a gently caress about hockey. Carolina's attendance was 21st in the league when they won the cup, and has only gotten worse. Compare that to Calgary, who haven't won a cup since 1989, and haven't been past the 2nd round since 2004, but finished 10th in attendance this season even though I suspect much of their fanbase knew they wouldn't go far in the playoffs. Some fans just care more about their local team and winning will only do so much for that, I guess. Conversely some towns are so entrenched their attendance is gonna be good no matter what. The Leafs and Red Wings come to mind.

I mean having a team with no sustained success like Carolina doesn't help. Sure they won the cup, then didn't make the playoffs for two years after and that was preceeded by the lockout and two years of not making the postseason. They've since descended into mediocrity without much in the way of bright spots coming in and well... Of course we're at the point where Carolina might actually be poised for some success with Skinner, Aho, Teravainen, Faulk, Darling, Slavin, Hanifin, Pesce, Rask, Lindholm and the room to make some big splashes if they wanted. It'd be the dumbest time to move/sell the team.

Then you look at a team like Nashville, not a traditional market and don't have a cup, but they've qualified for the playoffs more often than not after the first few years and have steadily improved as the years have gone on thanks to smart ownership, management, drafting, etc. They've given their fans something to cheer about.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

JawKnee posted:

I thought it'd be funny/cruel I'd they didn't have to protect the twins if they only exposed one of them.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Technetium posted:

I mean having a team with no sustained success like Carolina doesn't help. Sure they won the cup, then didn't make the playoffs for two years after and that was preceeded by the lockout and two years of not making the postseason. They've since descended into mediocrity without much in the way of bright spots coming in and well... Of course we're at the point where Carolina might actually be poised for some success with Skinner, Aho, Teravainen, Faulk, Darling, Slavin, Hanifin, Pesce, Rask, Lindholm and the room to make some big splashes if they wanted. It'd be the dumbest time to move/sell the team.

Then you look at a team like Nashville, not a traditional market and don't have a cup, but they've qualified for the playoffs more often than not after the first few years and have steadily improved as the years have gone on thanks to smart ownership, management, drafting, etc. They've given their fans something to cheer about.

With Nashville I think it helps that they have no major sports around them (unless you count the Sounds). As somebody mentioned, The 'Canes have to compete with big time CBB in a CBB-crazy region.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Nashville has an NFL team.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

If someone can list 31 NFL teams, the one they're missing is probably the Titans.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Spelling Mitsake posted:

If someone can list 31 NFL teams, the one they're missing is probably the Titans.

When I went to super bowl 50 in SF, we took note of the jerseys kind of like a scavenger hunt. Titans were the only one not seen in 3 days. Next lowest was like 5 Jaguar jerseys but we thought they were being ironic. On our way home we did see a houston oilers jersey and decided to give the franchise some credit.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Spelling Mitsake posted:

This is exactly what I did, gently caress's sake.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ironically, no one can remember the Titans.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Yeah, they're well liked in Nashville, but football season doesn't overlap that much with hockey anyway. Baseball overlaps more (especially since it is on during hockey playoffs), and basketball obviously the most, so markets with baseball and basketball probably affect hockey draws more.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
nashville is a pretty big city with a lot of money that doesn't really have a "team" that they're associated with. so that's a pretty good recipe to build it into a hockey city. I'm like one of three titans fans that exist and i lived in knoxville. vanderbilt has a good football team once in a while and UT is big there but not like it is in east tennessee.

carolinas gonna suffer from always being a super distant number 2 behind college basketball.

it's one of the reasons i am/was against Seattle having a team but am pro-Vegas, although less so now that the Raiders are moving there. vegas has a chance of being "the team" there but a seattle hockey team will be behind even the MLS in that market. that could be not great.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Spelling Mitsake posted:

This is true. I also find that the NBA team I forget the most is the Memphis Grizzlies.

My brain just likes to pretend Tennessee doesn't exist.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Carolinas is college football country. Those fans could care less about hockey. Places like Nashville are music first and the college football thing is a lot less rabid. It's also a city of transplants, unlike the Carolinas which hardly no one moves across the country to other than what, Charleston?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

JollyPubJerk posted:

The Carolinas is college football country. Those fans could care less about hockey. Places like Nashville are music first and the college football thing is a lot less rabid. It's also a city of transplants, unlike the Carolinas which hardly no one moves across the country to other than what, Charleston?

Don't a lot of people move to Greensboro or Asheville?

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
carolina has tons of transplants, lol

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/876098726292488193

this god drat team is really gonna protect 4 d huh. have fun in vegas jon

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Aye Doc posted:

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/876098726292488193

this god drat team is really gonna protect 4 d huh. have fun in vegas jon

I assume they'd trade him before exposing him. Still dumb, but not the dumbest possible option.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the coyotes have anywhere from 1-3 forward slots so i hope they get something done

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

whatis posted:

There's even a running joke that Cary, NC stands for Concentrated Area of Relocated Yankees

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

whatis posted:

Example A: Charlotte

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i am the bird posted:

I assume they'd trade him before exposing him. Still dumb, but not the dumbest possible option.

trading Marchy would be good but it seems like he would get some more value after the expansion draft if you just kept him. I would think Marchy has a lot more value to a team who just lost a good piece to the draft instead of a team who is still nailing down their protections

I am not really a fan of protecting 4D in any circumstance - forward-wise, you'll likely see Hubes/Barkov/Smith/Trocheck as the 4 protected. Yandle has to be protected and Ekblad will be for sure, the team is huge on Pysyk and it sounds like he is #3. they don't really seem to value Jason Demers because all of the writers close to the team have been saying everything is leaning towards protecting Petrovic over Demers. losing the ability to protect all of Bjugstad + Marchesseault + ______ (ideally Jokinen, realistically Sceviour?, and in the dark world, Cap'n Mac) in order to guarantee the presence of Alex Petrovic sounds kind of ridiculous. and I think Petro is pretty cool, and works out nicely as a 2nd pair guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

but a seattle hockey team will be behind even the MLS in that market. that could be not great.

lol no it won't

• Locked thread