Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

BarbarianElephant posted:

Has anyone as rich and powerful as Trump ever gone to prison in the USA?

Enron, S&L, the one with McCain, hell I think Watergate sent dozens to prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Martha Stewart?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Martha Stewart and Bernie Madoff, off the top of my head

e: Allen Stanford also

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 17, 2017

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Hollismason posted:

Lol, if you think that Trump wouldn't immediately ordered the military to stop a impeachment.

The military will not support a president against the branch that writes its budget.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don't know about you but if a draft were to be declared tomorrow and I knew that I could get out of it by making GBS threads my pants then I would poo poo my pants without even having to think about it. gently caress you if you think I'm a coward because I literally don't wanna be sent off to my death.

Doesn't matter which side owns the presidency either. I'm going to do everything I can short of self mutilation to get out of any draft, no matter the cause.

I wouldn't blame you for it. I'd probably offer to carpool to Canada with you. But I would call you a hypocrite if decades later you ran for president and said how much you loved this country and it's military and some fine young man was sent to his death in your place because your daddy paid off doctors.

My father is a Vietnam vet, but he volunteered for it.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Clancychat, but for inane whatifs and conspiracies!

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Evil Fluffy posted:

Even if Trump goes down (still seems unlikely) the odds of Pence going down with him is near zero. There needs to be some serious evidence of him colluding with Russia or assisting in the obstruction and I suspect that Pence has kept his distance on all that stuff as much as possible. I can't imagine he's involved in the obstruction stuff at all and unless Flynn turns on him and has evidence that Pence always knew about his activities, Pence will be completely untouched (though he'll probably get buried in 2020 if he tries to run for reelection).

It seems so fruitless to guess about any of this, because everything going on is so unprecedented.

The last time a president had to resign for corruption, it didn't harm his vice-president, but that vice-president had been appointed because he had been an outsider. So Nixon and Ford aren't really a good comparison. Before that, we have to go back to something like how Calvin Coolidge dealt with the Teapot Dome, which is both a century ago, and not really relevant. (I just quickly looked it up: Coolidge ascended when Harding died, no one at the time knew about the corruption in Harding's administration, and Coolidge wasn't personally implicated.

So saying there are "near zero" chances of Pence going down seems to be functioning on little data. We don't know what Trump did, what Pence knew, and how the public will respond to either.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Paracaidas posted:

The Democrats, with enough power to push through a Trump impeachment (or, I guess, with enough evidence and the administration being poisonous enough that the GOP goes along with it), will not also knock Pence off, because.... reasons? Especially if it's a Democratic House, because you bet your rear end they'd want the speaker* to take over.

Sorry, but this is actually insane. If Trump is impeached, Pence will take his place and he will appoint a new VP (with approval by Congress) to fill his old position. This will be another Republican. If Pence is implicated along with Trump in whatever impeachment scenario it is that we're discussing here then Pence will most likely resign shortly thereafter. Democrats aren't going to remove a Republican from office in order to install their own unelected president because that turns a clear win for the Democratic Party into something that the GOP will rightly characterize as a coup. They also just don't have the ability to do it since it's literally impossible for Democrats to have that level of control in the Senate after 2018.

Autism Sneaks posted:

You are weird. Nail that fucker to a cross erected off Pennsylvania Avenue and let him bake there until the sun bleaches the orange from his skin

I have a feeling a lot of you are going to be exceptionally disappointed in how this all plays out, and that's assuming the best possible course of events here.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Well when many of us will only be sated by Oompa Loompa blood, where the best we'll probably get is this century's (or, the century being young, this generation's) Frost/Nixon with Trump shouting something like "When the president does it, it's not illegal'" but not nearly as profound and a lot dumber... yeah

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

OhDearGodNo posted:

Enron, S&L, the one with McCain, hell I think Watergate sent dozens to prison.

Yeah stealing other rich people's money will do it

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

This is becoming a huge problem, because internet job ads produce an avalanche of applicants, so HR find it easier to winnow down results by easy criteria like "criminal record y/n."

Algorithms that scan resumes for keywords and reject them if they lack those are also in heavy use.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Paradoxish posted:

I have a feeling a lot of you are going to be exceptionally disappointed in how this all plays out, and that's assuming the best possible course of events here.

Here is a question: in the first week of Trump's presidency, if someone had told you in five months time:

1. Michael Flynn would have been dismissed, be under criminal investigation, and have offered testimony in exchange for immunity
2. That Donald Trump would have fired Comey, giving the reason publicly that he was tired of being investigated
3. That Robert Mueller was appointed as a special prosecutor, and was investigating Trump, as well as his campaign

Would you have had the same response? I mean, I get what you are responding to, but it has taken five months for us to get to the point where the President of the United States is being investigated for the felony of obstructing justice in an espionage case. Any predictions about the next five months seem to be premature.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mike pence almost certainly knew Flynn was dirty and said nothing.

It will be very difficult for him to survive this.

It's also very unlikely ryan didn't know what was going on.

The constitution was not designed to withstand this kind of scandal, tbqh.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Autism Sneaks posted:

Well when many of us will only be sated by Oompa Loompa blood, where the best we'll probably get is this century's (or, the century being young, this generation's) Frost/Nixon with Trump shouting something like "When the president does it, it's not illegal'" but not nearly as profound and a lot dumber... yeah

"When the president does it, it's terrific"

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

glowing-fish posted:

Would you have had the same response? I mean, I get what you are responding to, but it has taken five months for us to get to the point where the President of the United States is being investigated for the felony of obstructing justice in an espionage case. Any predictions about the next five months seem to be premature.

I'm honestly not trying to make any predictions here, I'm just talking about how the process actually works. Democrats will probably have the ability to draft and pass whatever ridiculous articles of impeachment that they want after 2018, but they won't have the ability to actually convict. That means Republicans can effectively stonewall anything that they don't like, which is exactly what will happen if Democrats try to force a double impeachment without providing Pence with time to appoint a replacement.

FizFashizzle posted:

It's also very unlikely ryan didn't know what was going on.

The constitution was not designed to withstand this kind of scandal, tbqh.

So, even if this is true, the point I was making is that you don't just burn down the line of succession like this. If Trump is impeached, then Pence is going to appoint a new VP and it won't be Paul Ryan. If this is after 2018 and Democrats control the House then there's the potential to force a compromise candidate, but that's about the best we can hope for. We aren't talking about the president and vice president being killed or incapacitated in a single event here, so it's not a matter of just taking the next person in the line after the VP.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 17, 2017

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Paradoxish posted:

I'm honestly not trying to make any predictions here, I'm just talking about how the process actually works. Democrats will probably have the ability to draft and pass whatever ridiculous articles of impeachment that they want after 2018, but they won't have the ability to actually convict. That means Republicans can effectively stonewall anything that they don't like, which is exactly what will happen if Democrats try to force a double impeachment without providing Pence with time to appoint a replacement.

So, even if this is true, the point I was making is that you don't just burn down the line of succession like this. If Trump is impeached, then Pence is going to appoint a new VP and it won't be Paul Ryan. If this is after 2018 and Democrats control the House then there's the potential to force a compromise candidate, but that's about the best we can hope for. We aren't talking about the President and Vice President being killed or incapacitated in a single event here, so it's not a matter of just taking the next person in the line after the VP.

"how the process actually works"

Based on what?

Your sample size of impeachments or resignations to avoid impeachment is currently three. (Andrew Johnson, Richard Nixon, and Bill Clinton). In one of those cases, Richard Nixon, it is generally agreed that his party would have voted against him. Bill Clinton's case was more partisan, but most objective observers agree that it was a partisan accusation in the first place, and that it involved a personal matter. I don't know enough about the Andrew Johnson case to comment.

It does depend on the magnitude of what Trump did (if anything at all). If Trump was just trying to protect his son-in-law from having his finances scrutinized, it might still be treated as a partisan matter.

But if there is actual evidence that Trump betrayed the United States' interests by actively colluding, that is an unprecedented situation, and saying it will play out like Bill Clinton's extramarital affairs seems premature.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Mike pence almost certainly knew Flynn was dirty and said nothing.

It will be very difficult for him to survive this.

Yep. This is most likely why he hired his own lawyer. I mean has a Vice President ever done that? AFAIK it's unprecedented.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

methinks he doth project too much

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

glowing-fish posted:

"how the process actually works"

Based on what?

Based on the Constitution. Here's what the 25th Amendment has to say:

quote:

Section 1. In case of the removal of the President from office or of his death or resignation, the Vice President shall become President.

Section 2. Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress.

I think (although I'm not positive and I could be wrong) that a double impeachment that removes the president and vice president at once is possible, but this is literally a political coup that you're talking about here. There's also no reason for Republicans to allow it, since if they intend to impeach Mike Pence they could easily demand that it be done separately, after he has had time to appoint a replacement. Remember that the only punitive action that impeachment provides is removal from office, so Pence agreeing to appoint a new VP and then resign is as good as impeaching him from a practical standpoint.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Nothing bad will ever happen to Tromp. You'll be sitting though his presidential retrospective interview on the Today Show inside ten years.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Huzanko posted:

Nothing bad will ever happen to Tromp. You'll be sitting though his presidential retrospective interview on the Today Show inside ten years.

God empower trump is invincible! Nothing can stop powerful daddy! :Pepe nazi flag:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Slow news day

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Covok posted:

Slow news day

https://twitter.com/ShogrenE/status/876067002431025152

Here's a fresh thing to be mad about for ya

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hollismason posted:

Lol, if you think that Trump wouldn't immediately ordered the military to stop a impeachment.

Buca di Bepis posted:

This is loving stupid

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Covok posted:

Slow news day

Have some examination of the old news.

Why Trump Attacked His Own Deputy Attorney General

quote:

The fallout from Rosenstein’s Comey memo may have been the result of a clash between the two men’s distinguishing characteristics: Comey’s zealous self-regard for his own independence and Rosenstein’s adherence to the letter of the law and Justice Department guidelines. Rosenstein may have genuinely believed that he was correcting an egregious harm to the Justice Department committed by Comey, one that still offended many lawyers there.

And Comey may have made his own mistake. Before Comey was fired, he apparently never went to Rosenstein and explained the steps that Trump had taken to try to shut down the investigation of Michael Flynn. If Comey had, Rosenstein would have known that Trump was taking actions that looked a lot like obstruction of justice. “If Comey had gone to Rod, he would never have written that memo,” the Obama official said. “Those alarm bells should have gone off for Rod anyway, but Comey, by keeping it so close and feeling he’s not accountable to anyone, made it easier for Rod.”

It is classic Trump: he ensnared Rosenstein in a scheme to get rid of Comey. Now that Rosenstein has tried to correct his error and insulate the investigation from further meddling, Trump is using Rosenstein’s role in the scheme to try to push him aside. (If this sounds like a plot from “The Sopranos,” it’s because there were, in fact, several episodes like this.)

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 17, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

This is a 'moderate' Republican and someone people thought Obama might pick for Scalia's seat, isn't it?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Bernie Madoff?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Al Capone?

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

HappyHippo posted:

Bernie Madoff?

He ran out of money and thus money. :v:

Edit: Huh, he is still alive. I thought he had died.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 17, 2017

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Paradoxish posted:

Based on the Constitution. Here's what the 25th Amendment has to say:

I think (although I'm not positive and I could be wrong) that a double impeachment that removes the president and vice president at once is possible, but this is literally a political coup that you're talking about here. There's also no reason for Republicans to allow it, since if they intend to impeach Mike Pence they could easily demand that it be done separately, after he has had time to appoint a replacement. Remember that the only punitive action that impeachment provides is removal from office, so Pence agreeing to appoint a new VP and then resign is as good as impeaching him from a practical standpoint.

And do you think this even if there is evidence that Pence directly agreed with Russian spies to ease sanctions in return for election interference? Or, in lesser terms, if he knew about it after the fact but didn't report it? Would it make sense to allow someone who had done that to become President?

I agree that if Pence has just been incompetent and unaware, then that isn't really impeachable, but based on what we already know, there is a good chance that he might have been cooperating or covering up at some point, in which case a dual impeachment does seem likely.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Raylen posted:

They love dealing in hypotheticals like this. "Well, if everyone was personally accountable then we wouldn't need laws! :hurr:"

I think pissbaby donald is the ultimate refutation of that view. "We need weaker laws! People will just do what's right because they face punishment otherwise!" Doesn't really work when cheeto benito is making GBS threads up what little assumption of good faith remained in DC.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Lmao how hard could it be to meet 40% renewables in Nevada, its entirely desert.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Tayter Swift posted:

Lmao how hard could it be to meet 40% renewables in Nevada, its entirely desert.

Also they get a large portion of their power from the Hoover Dam already

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lote posted:

Also they get a large portion of their power from the Hoover Dam already

Good thing climate change is making Hoover dam less reliable as a source of power.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

glowing-fish posted:

And do you think this even if there is evidence that Pence directly agreed with Russian spies to ease sanctions in return for election interference? Or, in lesser terms, if he knew about it after the fact but didn't report it? Would it make sense to allow someone who had done that to become President?

I agree that if Pence has just been incompetent and unaware, then that isn't really impeachable, but based on what we already know, there is a good chance that he might have been cooperating or covering up at some point, in which case a dual impeachment does seem likely.

Man, I don't really know how to be more clear in what I'm saying.

The point I'm making isn't that Pence won't or can't be impeached, it's that I don't think the GOP will allow an impeachment that puts a Democrat into the White House. The scenario I'm laying out here is one where Pence only needs to hold office for exactly as long as it will take for him to appoint a VP and have that VP confirmed by the House and Senate. There's absolutely no reason for Republicans not to demand that, even in a hypothetical scenario where they're doing the right thing and cleaning house.

Impeachment is not a criminal trial. It doesn't carry any penalty beyond removal from office, so Mike Pence being sworn in for a day and then resigning is not meaningfully different from him simply being impeached alongside of Trump. If we're going to go off into Clancychat land and talk about Pence refusing to step down, then there's nothing stopping Congress from simply impeaching him for that.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Actually the real gently caress-you move by Pelosi is if Trump lasts past 2018 and is removed once the Democrats retake the House; Pelosi refuses to confirm Pence's VP pick, meaning if he also goes down Pelosi (or whichever Democrat is Speaker five minutes later) becomes President.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the new Speaker, Joseph Robinette Biden Junior.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVU2TyZAhvO/

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

Man, I don't really know how to be more clear in what I'm saying.

The point I'm making isn't that Pence won't or can't be impeached, it's that I don't think the GOP will allow an impeachment that puts a Democrat into the White House. The scenario I'm laying out here is one where Pence only needs to hold office for exactly as long as it will take for him to appoint a VP and have that VP confirmed by the House and Senate. There's absolutely no reason for Republicans not to demand that, even in a hypothetical scenario where they're doing the right thing and cleaning house.

I can't believe anyone could possibly imagine we'll have a Democratic president before 2021, or a Republican president after 2021.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Hellblazer187 posted:

I can't believe anyone could possibly imagine we'll have a Democratic president before 2021, or a Republican president after 2021.

Look one post above yours, or at the post that I was originally responding to on the last page. People really want there to be one weird trick that Democrats can pull, but as long as we have less than 67 seats in the Senate there's really no impeachment scenario that goes down with the consent of at least some Republicans.

Actually, I don't even know what happens if the House or Senate refuses to confirm a VP pick in the case of that position being vacant.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Trump administration pushing to weaken Russia sanctions bill: report

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/338266-trump-administration-pushing-to-weaken-russia-sanctions-bill-report

quote:

President Trump’s White House is expected to push House Republicans to change the Senate’s Russia sanctions bill to make it more friendly to Russia, according to a new report.

A senior administration official said that the White House is concerned that the bill will hurt U.S.-Russia relations and the administration is hoping to work with Republicans in the House to soften the bill, Politico reported.

Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) told Politico that he has heard the Trump administration is asking House members to “slow and block” the legislation.

But gently caress Cuba lol

• Locked thread