Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Chat Thread
This poll is closed.
anime chat thread 13 8.02%
anime chat thread 2.22 - A SODOM BORN OF THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR 11 6.79%
SHIN ANIME CHAT THREAD 3: THE LAST DAY OF THE EARTH 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD 4: NEW AGE OF HEROES 1 0.62%
ANIME CHAT THREAD V: BEEF TENDENCY END 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD VI: animemonogatari 16 9.88%
anime chat thread vii: 600 pages in like a week 3 1.85%
anime chat thread viii: a bowl of visible aids 7 4.32%
Anime Chat Thread IX: the desert of battle 1 0.62%
anime chat thread x: gifs of takane shijou eating 14 8.64%
anime chat thread xi: the beast that cried 'gas' at the heart of the world 16 9.88%
anime chat thread xii: the one where fire emblem comes out 8 4.94%
anime chat thread the 13th: no art dumps 5 3.09%
anime chat thread 14: this one probably won't get to 2000+ pages 3 1.85%
Chat Thead 15: Post your favorite robot and/or touhou itt 22 13.58%
Anime Chat Thread The Sixteenth: Frequently Anime Questions 3 1.85%
Anime Chat Thread Dimension XV-II: No More Eroes 2: Dawn of the New World 8 4.94%
Anime Chat Thread Part 18: (M)AIDS 17 10.49%
Total: 162 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

gently caress I love Zounose.

e: here have an image for the new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I finished Utena

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

GorfZaplen posted:

I finished Utena

Great! Don't forget to check out the movie at some point.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Erg posted:

bn2 was a loving tease and had a blue or purple mystery data in an inaccessible pet of the starting area and I hate it

Like I think you couldn't access it without getting to post game Undernet? I never got it and it made me mad

it was behind a WWW skull door
its basically a staple to have a WWW skull door with a md behind it in the first area

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I usually don't anime much, but just marathoned down all of Overlord based on somebody's suggestion. Pretty entertaining overall. I liked the premise and character designs. The plot and world-building were solid. It didn't feel like it had any real filler, which is appreciated. The whole two servants fighting over Ainz was a bit of a masturbatory fantasy, but it is anime after all. Animation was fine in general, though the CG skeletons and dragons were lame. Overall I would give it a solid 7.5

I am open for suggestions, if anybody has them. Bonus points if I can watch it on hulu or netflix. I saw One Punch Man recently, and thought it was excellent. Loved the animation quality, and the less than serious nature of the show. I thought the first two seasons of Death Note were gripping, but after that it became a bit unfocused. I liked FLCL quite a bit. I've seen Bebop and Champloo, and thought both were very good shows. I thought Gurren Lagen was good, but it wasn't a favorite of mine.

I tried watching Attack On Titan, but gave up after five or so episodes. I didn't find myself liking the characters much, and the plot seemed a little plodding. The episode with the broken harness bored me to tears.

In short, I really have no idea what I am looking for, I guess. I think I do prefer focused plotting though. I like something that tells the story it needs to tell without too much filler.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 17, 2017

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

have you seen black lagoon?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Since you liked One Punch Man, I'll recommend author ONE's other anime, Mob Psycho 100

https://youtu.be/5vBMgSJUWWA

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Haven't seen either one. Looks like Black Lagoon is on hulu, which is a bonus. Easy way for me to watch things. That is how I just watched Overlord.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Maybe not your genre, but netflix has the two Little Witch Academia OVAs, made by the people who did TTGL. It's great, and they'll have the first cour of the new anime (that will be wrapping up in a few weeks) up sometime soon. It's pretty great.

While it's not on netflix, Konosuba is another rpg-fantasy thing. It's freaking hilarious, definitely do recommend it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Filthy Monkey posted:

I usually don't anime much, but just marathoned down all of Overlord based on somebody's suggestion. Pretty entertaining overall. I liked the premise and character designs. The plot and world-building were solid. It didn't feel like it had any real filler, which is appreciated. The whole two servants fighting over Ainz was a bit of a masturbatory fantasy, but it is anime after all. Animation was fine in general, though the CG skeletons and dragons were lame. Overall I would give it a solid 7.5

I am open for suggestions, if anybody has them. Bonus points if I can watch it on hulu or netflix. I saw One Punch Man recently, and thought it was excellent. Loved the animation quality, and the less than serious nature of the show. I thought the first two seasons of Death Note were gripping, but after that it became a bit unfocused. I liked FLCL quite a bit. I've seen Bebop and Champloo, and thought both were very good shows. I thought Gurren Lagen was good, but it wasn't a favorite of mine.

I tried watching Attack On Titan, but gave up after five or so episodes. I didn't find myself liking the characters much, and the plot seemed a little plodding.

In short, I really have no idea what I am looking for, I guess. I think I do prefer focused stories though. I prefer something that tells the story it needs to tell without too much filler.

If it's Netflix:
  • Durarara!! is in there. It's 2 seasons with some 60 episodes combined (Season 1 had 2 cours that ran 24 episode across six months, Season 2 was split across a year and a half through 3 12-episode cours). It's a really fun show and the plot + characters are really fun. The animation can be janky at times, but almost everything else more than makes up for it.
  • Puella Magi Madoka Magica is also in there. The 12 episode original run and the 3 Movies (2 are compilation movies with new animation + additional scenes, the third is an actual sequel and really loving good).
  • Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works is also there. It's an adaptation of a Visual Novel's route. Said Visual Novel has Three Routes. And some people will tell you "You need to read the Visual Novel to experience it in all its glory". Those people can eat poo poo. It's a fine story on its own. Same goes for the prequel, Fate/Zero. 26 episodes.
  • Kuromukuro is fun and dumb and if you liked One Punch Man, you'll dig this. 26 episodes.

Rodenthar, Julias and Snail's recommendations are all good, too. And if you feel like watching more anime later with a clearer focus on what you're looking for, we do have a recommendation thread. :tipshat:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Watching Scum's Wish with the right frame of mind is making it more enjoyable, by the way.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
That frame of mind: "everything and everyone is horrible forever"

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Hell yeah

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I'm confused, I thought all the Fate anime on Netflix was bad?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mill Village posted:

While your individual mileages will always vary, I had an absolute blast with Unlimited Blade Works + Fate/Zero and Rin Tohsaka is best girl all years.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

That frame of mind: "everything and everyone is horrible forever"

Motto posted:

Hell yeah
Now let's be fair, given the circumstances, it makes sense for most of the characters to act the way that they do. It's less "Holy smokes, they're all irredeemable pieces of poo poo" and more "Loneliness, longing and horniness often push you to make some stupid-rear end decisions".

It's like listening to a really catchy song, but as you listen to it more than once, you realize that the lyrics are really haunting and/or the melody/harmonies have a certain somberness you didn't notice upon first listen. And then you realize how hosed up the song as a whole is. Like how "Here Comes Your Man" by The Pixies is secretly about Bob Dylan. How "It Remembers" from Every Time I Die is about a person betraying another for amusement by spreading a really secret thing about the person and how the victim will never live it down from society's viewpoint. Or like how "You're so Vain" is not about a particular loving man. It's about a type of guy that Ms. Simon clearly had a bone to pick with. Or pretty much anything R.E.M. ever did.

I straight up love this. :swoon: Are there any other Touhou / Sailor Moon fanart you can contribute, Burbster? Would love to see them. :allears:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Mill Village posted:

i think the role of thumb is none of the fate anime is really good for people who haven't read the VN

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i can see enjoying fate routes on their own but, ultimately, i don't think it's really a good idea to bother experiencing fate at all if you don't want to go the full mile. ubw is probably the best self-contained story but the absolute best stuff kind of does come from reading the whole vn

and yeah most of what i've heard about ubw is that it's way too strict to the pacing of the original to a fault and kind of messes up adapting any of the big fights that actually have meaning for the characters involved, because the last two aren't supposed to be big insane flashy final battles as much as shirou doing insanely desperate poo poo and barely holding out

all i'm going to say about fate/zero is that i got bored one ep before the end of season 1

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 17, 2017

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Julias posted:

Since you liked One Punch Man, I'll recommend author ONE's other anime, Mob Psycho 100

https://youtu.be/5vBMgSJUWWA

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i liked both zero and ubw

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the key problem with watching the anime instead of reading the vn is you will never grasp the full impact of the scene in heaven's feel where kirei eats insanely hot, lovely noodles

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ANYWAY check out Blood Blockade Battlefront, you might not like the anime original stuff in it but that should only be a big problem in the last two episodes and the rest is a really cool, jazzy and fun adaptation of a good manga about people fighting monsters and crime in a weird city that contains the portal to another dimension where over the course of like a week humanity just kind of came to accept the presence of absolutely weird poo poo that could totally destroy the entire world

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Colonel posted:

the key problem with watching the anime instead of reading the vn is you will never grasp the full impact of the scene in heaven's feel where kirei eats insanely hot, lovely noodles
Ok, I did not just read you dismissing Mapo Tofu as "lovely noodles" :toughguy:

The Colonel posted:

ANYWAY check out Blood Blockade Battlefront
But you give good recommendations, so I'll let this slide, young lady. :colbert:

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 17, 2017

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

https://twitter.com/yuriscience/status/875946803593707520

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The more I think about the last episode of Utena the more I like it

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GorfZaplen posted:

Excellent job, Gorfy. :golfclap:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

They are doing good things, clearly.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

GorfZaplen posted:

You haven't seen the end til you watch the movie

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

lol

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

The dainty position of the hands. 'Nuff said.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I was not expecting Nier Automata to have a robo Godzilla. In retrospect, I probably should have. Though the tilted camera in some parts kind of messed with me and led to taking a lot more damage than I should have.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 17, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Filthy Monkey posted:

I tried watching Attack On Titan, but gave up after five or so episodes. I didn't find myself liking the characters much, and the plot seemed a little plodding. The episode with the broken harness bored me to tears.

In short, I really have no idea what I am looking for, I guess. I think I do prefer focused plotting though. I like something that tells the story it needs to tell without too much filler.
birdy the mighty decode

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

dogsicle posted:

yes

you can also try here, in case someone who doesn't read chat knows

Wonderful!

Does anyone remember the name of the manga where a family has the mother die for a disease, the father buys a bunch of playing cards as an investment but puts the family in debt and the oldest daughter goes to win a tournament to get her family out of debt? The way she wins if playing like her jerk mom and everyone is surprised because she is normally so nice. The game is a MTG and YGO hybrid.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wizard's Soul

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I hate the strap fetish.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
In other news, I just finished rewatching Episode 6 of Scum's Wish and I think I want to see something fluffy and cute, so I'm going to watch either Amanchu or Sweetness & Lightning before going to bed.

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

yeah, shes good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

thank you~

• Locked thread