Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Switch friends, what are the best case and screen protector the the switch? I want to protect my precious.

The amFilm is the way to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Yeah the "scalpers" thing makes no sense because if every one of the 78,000 Super Bowl ticket is sold, and scalpers resell some of them, there's still 78,000 tickets sold, and 78,000 asses in seats.

The middleman didn't alter supply, he just skimmed extra money from someone trading cash for convenience.

And if you're scalping items and not selling them, you're fundamentally terrible at your job.

And if there's somehow magically a market for people who exclusively want to buy from scalpers, and won't be able to because the scalper market closes, so therefore people who would buy readily available switches won't buy readily available switches because they're no longer marked up, well, that's just obviously crazy.

I didnt say they were not selling them. I was saying people only buy from scalpers because they cant find one elsewhere. So if you bought a pallet of sqitches and they're pushing production to to 16 million, then the scalpers are going to have to deal with increased supply. Eventually the people willing to pay markups out of desperation or convenience will dry up.

Im not worried about what it means in terms of sales. Im trying to say demand will eventually drop and probably sharply, once scalpers have no incentive to scalp them anymore, which is what the post I quoted was saying.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If scalpers really were a problem, wouldn't stores have implemented a one Switch per customer policy?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

SeANMcBAY posted:

I like Nintendo's own official case: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N226BBW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_aVKCorWUwc3sA

It comes with a screen protector too. It may be hard to find though now.

Of the three cases I tried, this was the worst and it wasn't even close. Don't buy this case, it is flimsy and won't protect the switch.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Waltzing Along posted:

Of the three cases I tried, this was the worst and it wasn't even close. Don't buy this case, it is flimsy and won't protect the switch.

Are you sure you got that exact one? Mines not flimsy at all. It's not as hard as the Hori one but it seems like it's plenty protected unless a ton of weight goes on it or something.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Nintendo is working overtime to make more Switches by the millions but it's all for naught, as the scalpers continue to buy out the Switches with their endless pockets

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Should I buy the new Xbox

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

a.lo posted:

You should scalp it.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Are you sure you got that exact one? Mines not flimsy at all. It's not as hard as the Hori one but it seems like it's plenty protected unless a ton of weight goes on it or something.

Yes. Then I used the Zelda SE one for a bit but that had too much extra space, though it was hard. Then I got: https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Swi...ndo+switch+case

Easily the best of the 3.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

a.lo posted:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Devoyniche posted:

I didnt say they were not selling them. I was saying people only buy from scalpers because they cant find one elsewhere. So if you bought a pallet of sqitches and they're pushing production to to 16 million, then the scalpers are going to have to deal with increased supply. Eventually the people willing to pay markups out of desperation or convenience will dry up.

Im not worried about what it means in terms of sales. Im trying to say demand will eventually drop and probably sharply, once scalpers have no incentive to scalp them anymore, which is what the post I quoted was saying.

This doesn't make any sense. Scalpers don't sit on consoles like that. Video game consoles have the highest demand immediately after launch and it tends to go down sharply from there. No scalper is buying hundreds of Switches and just sitting on them, they're selling them immediately. If scalpers can't sell the system for above market value, they won't buy more.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I bought 100 switches and scalped them all. I used the $500 in total profit to buy a Wii U and some socks.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The Switch is really popular.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

a.lo posted:

Do you have a 4k tv, no pc, and a desire to play another crackdown?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

scalping for the wii u fell off really quickly and sharply, that it's still going strong this late is indicative of the Switch's popularity

what makes it more remarkable is the system launching in an unconventional time, with the holidays still to come

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

Do you have a 4k tv, no pc, and a desire to play another crackdown?

Gotta get those orbs agent!!!

For real crackdown was hella fun.

Microsoft pls port the crackdown to switch.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

a.lo posted:

Am I reading this right? Did someone just ask whether they should buy the new Xbox One X?

I'll have you know it's the most powerful console that has ever existed.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
With 12gb of the correct RAM

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The highest quality 30fps experience

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

DalaranJ posted:

Am I reading this right? Did someone just ask whether they should buy the new Xbox One X?

I'll have you know it's the most powerful console with no games.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Just from first hand experience I see a lot of interest in the Switch, I've even got a few friends who are actively looking for one. Compared with the WiiU where most people's opinion ranged from "The what?" to "lol u got a WiiU" I feel like the hype is real. Not Wii levels of hype, but enough to make it successful enough to roll with probably

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Quest For Glory II posted:

if youre not on the rabbids bandwagon youre not a Real gamer. fact of life

I wanna pre-order Mario Xcom but I'm worried it's going to be really short or something

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lakbay posted:

I wanna pre-order Mario Xcom but I'm worried it's going to be really short or something
honestly i might be more into it if it turns out it's only 10-12 hrs rather than the 30 that XCOM is

i finished shadowrun returns and never finished XCOM on account of shadowrun returns being like 6-7 hours

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

THE loving MOON posted:

Just from first hand experience I see a lot of interest in the Switch, I've even got a few friends who are actively looking for one. Compared with the WiiU where most people's opinion ranged from "The what?" to "lol u got a WiiU" I feel like the hype is real. Not Wii levels of hype, but enough to make it successful enough to roll with probably

I'm fully expecting the Switch to gain more and more popularity until it's eventually as ubiquitous as the DS is

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I expect the switch to outsell the apple watch.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

honestly i might be more into it if it turns out it's only 10-12 hrs rather than the 30 that XCOM is

i finished shadowrun returns and never finished XCOM on account of shadowrun returns being like 6-7 hours

I will be super into it if it has a random mission mode style deal later on

Love me some xcoms

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The Switch will outsell all previous Nintendo consoles and handhelds combined but there will be no way to play Super Mario World on it.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

I'm more worried it's like, 4 hours with a $60 price tag and no replayability

VVV That doesn't sound like good pacing...

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 18, 2017

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lakbay posted:

I'm more worried it's like, 4 hours with a $60 price tag and no replayability
they already said the first boss battle takes a half hour to beat so I doubt it's THAT short

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

they already said the first boss battle takes a half hour to beat so I doubt it's THAT short

gently caress, really? That sounds terrible

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The DS should evolve into a scaled down switch honestly. The DS is also an ARM platform, just several generations old.

Keep the same general design as the DS, maybe dump the 2nd screen for a slightly higher res main screen (like 480p). Put one of the more recent MediaTek low cost SoCs in it. Then it's just a matter of putting the Switch OS on it and creating a new performance profile. If it needs motion controls, touch screen, or just too demanding for the lower SoC, it's Switch exclusive. Otherwise, it would be on both and the visuals would be scaled to the hardware. Devs would have a single platform to the, and there would be hardware available at more than one price point.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Why would they ever do that?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

You need to keep in mind that's marketing speak, the same kind of language that says "this RPG takes 60 hours to beat" and most people beat it in less than half that unless they spend time (excessively) exploring everything. The last RPG I can think of that actually had an hour and a half (or more) of play time before the first boss fight was Dragon Quest 7(PSX, since the remake sped up the start IIRC), a game that actually took people 70+ hours to beat through normal gameplay and being absolute fuckers about map shard locations a few times.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I know exactly what they should call the next DS model

The Nintendo HDS.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ometeotl posted:

Why would they ever do that?

It's a more coherent ecosystem. You get someone in at a lower price point and start building their software library. Then they have an system they they could eventually upgrade into and improve all their games.

Then you also wouldn't have this bullshit of games announced for the older portable system that the newer more expensive system can't play.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

bull3964 posted:

The DS should evolve into a scaled down switch honestly. The DS is also an ARM platform, just several generations old.

Keep the same general design as the DS, maybe dump the 2nd screen for a slightly higher res main screen (like 480p). Put one of the more recent MediaTek low cost SoCs in it. Then it's just a matter of putting the Switch OS on it and creating a new performance profile. If it needs motion controls, touch screen, or just too demanding for the lower SoC, it's Switch exclusive. Otherwise, it would be on both and the visuals would be scaled to the hardware. Devs would have a single platform to the, and there would be hardware available at more than one price point.

no that's dumb. There's no reason for them to make two different systems. If they absolutely need a lower price point for the Switch, they can just sell it without the dock.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

'"'new'"' Nintendo switch

:suicide:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

'"'new'"' Nintendo switch

:suicide:

It's really easy to see how they could do this. Nvidia X2/X3 (if there is one then). More RAM. More internal memory. 1080p screen. Keep it the same size so they can sell a version without the dock and the Joycons are BC. Maybe 5 years from now. Backwards compatible with Switch 1 games.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 18, 2017

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
christmas 2018. thinner and you can't take off the joycons. the controls sticks are downgraded to those pad things. but there's a camera in it. the virtual console is exclusive to the switch lite

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
the switch will only succeed once super mario world is made available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here