Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kelp Plankton posted:

The Hakai not just working on everything with zero effort also makes all the gods of destruction much less scary because it means their instakill can be overcome. And in Dragonball, if it can, it will, until it's worthless

Hakai is the new destructo disk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

RBX posted:

Having anybody other than a GoD Master Rosh use Hakai the kamehameha is just plain dumb and bad. They wrote themselves into a corner with Zamasu and made him too strong; but the anime did the smart thing and just used the usual ending all stories use when this happens while the manga keeps doing stupid poo poo and not just loving ending. The Hakai spirit bomb didn't even finish him so what was the point? Why include it? Like does anybody who pays attention thinks Beerus Tien and especially WhisKing kai would teach the idiot Goku how to delete kill people?

Fixed that for you.

I mean, seriously, why is anyone surprised that Goku, notorious copier of other people's techniques, copied a technique?

It isn't even the first time someone has copied a godly technique just from watching it either. Majin Buu copied Shin's Kai Kai to arrive back on kaioshin kai for the end battle for the series.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It confuses me that both DB and Burrito have excellent anime and mediocre to terrible manga, when it has been hammered into my brain for years that anime allowed to get ahead of the manga is the most worstest thing ever.

lezard_valeth posted:

And the worst part is that there are people who think the manga is superior
Well there's a portion of people who enjoy all of DB and there's a portion of people who jerk off to Goku fantasies.

I assume the manga is for them.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Or just maybe a person could be free to enjoy one version of a dumb male power fantasy over the other, or maybe even enjoy both? All opinions are equally valid and silly here, no reason to get on a high horse

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Spiderdrake posted:

It confuses me that both DB and Burrito have excellent anime and mediocre to terrible manga, when it has been hammered into my brain for years that anime allowed to get ahead of the manga is the most worstest thing ever.

The main difference here is that Super is not a manga adaptation. The anime and manga both take from a source (Toriyama himself) and adapt his ideas as they see fit.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I mean neither is the Bort anime. Bort anime is essentially a prequel to the movies.

And the Bort's manga's problem is mostly how poo poo the art is.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

lol at Goku using hakai

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Caros posted:

Fixed that for you.

I mean, seriously, why is anyone surprised that Goku, notorious copier of other people's techniques, copied a technique?

It isn't even the first time someone has copied a godly technique just from watching it either. Majin Buu copied Shin's Kai Kai to arrive back on kaioshin kai for the end battle for the series.

I see it less as Goku copying something like the Kamehameha and more like he copied Buu's regeneration. It didn't really seem like something anyone was supposed to be able to use.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I had really assumed that was less a technique and more a power bestowed with the God of Destruction title

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

Fixed that for you.

Hakai is implied to be an innate part of God of Destruction and not just a really good technique that anyone can use. Making it the latter weakens pretty much every aspect of the story and also removes the big thing that made it scary ("here is a move that can delete even Goku, thus Goku's power level getting higher alone isn't enough to challenge a god") and replaces it with "lol, goku."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Caros posted:

Fixed that for you.

He never saw it in the manga.

Caros
May 14, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

He never saw it in the manga.

Unless he saw beerus use it to erase the top of a can of beans or some poo poo during the months he spent hanging out with beerus and Whis.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I like how your only arguments are flimsy bullshit lmao

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

jesus christ goku's hosed up big time

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Well the latest episode just made this discussion funnier.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm starting to have my doubts about this Frieza guy

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Wow, Sidra really IS the wimpiest God of Destruction.

Freeza you smug motherfucker. Also WAS THAT A YARDRAT. :stare:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

freeza's a good guy and is only here to celebrate the birth of his friend vegeta's daughter

Caros
May 14, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Well the latest episode just made this discussion funnier.

Right?

ImpAtom posted:

Hakai is implied to be an innate part of God of Destruction and not just a really good technique that anyone can use. Making it the latter weakens pretty much every aspect of the story and also removes the big thing that made it scary ("here is a move that can delete even Goku, thus Goku's power level getting higher alone isn't enough to challenge a god") and replaces it with "lol, goku."

Or it is just a technique that requires a particular type of ki which puts it well within Goku's wheelhouse to copy. Considering the anime just finished making GBS threads over your interpretation By having a dog assassin fire off Hakai ki that Freeza lives through I feel pretty safe in laughing at you right now.

Caros fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 18, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

Or it is just a technique that requires a particular type of ki which puts it well within Goku's wheelhouse to copy. Considering the anime just finished making GBS threads over your interpretation By having a dog assassin fire off Hakai ki that Freeza lives through I feel pretty safe in laughing at you right now.

That is the most bizarrely excessive response to what I posted, but okay?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

"Hey the anime did this thing that Imp had no way of knowing about. This clearly reflects on him somehow."

Caros
May 14, 2008

TFRazorsaw posted:

"Hey the anime did this thing that Imp had no way of knowing about. This clearly reflects on him somehow."

He just got finished joining in the dogpile of people shittalking an unreleased manga chapter for somehow cheapening a vague ability. A half hour later the new anime chapter drops and points out that the head canon explanation most people appear to have for the ability as an instant 'I win' GoD thing is wrong. I'm going to laugh at that.

StrifeHira posted:

Wow, Sidra really IS the wimpiest God of Destruction.

Freeza you smug motherfucker. Also WAS THAT A YARDRAT. :stare:

It appears to be. They are way cuter than I expected, I always just sort of pictured the things from the bug planet. I wonder if maybe they'll spend the five minutes teaching IT to some other... yeah, I can't even finish that.

Caros fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 18, 2017

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Yeah, and people get to call you out on your reaction being very weird and dumb.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

The bad spelling has been phased out. "Freeza" is back, baby.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

How come Goku is the only one who can use instant transmission? You'd think he'd teach Gohan how at a minimum.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Arrgytehpirate posted:

How come Goku is the only one who can use instant transmission Kaio-Ken the spirit bomb? You'd think he'd teach Gohan how at a minimum.

Goku is a dick. I think the only technique he ever really taught in all of Z was fusion. Maybe the Kamehameha to Gohan in the RosaT, but I can't recall if he used it before that.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

U7 Saiyans in general just seem to be incredibly bad at teaching people things. None of them ever managed to pass down the technique to go SSJ at will and Cabba was all 'just focus your ki in your back my man'

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Pureauthor posted:

pass down the technique to go SSJ at will
To be fair, Vegeta did manage to teach someone, it's just that neither version of his son needed teaching.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

re: that bit in the new episode of Super

The assassin was only about to use the destruction technique because Sidra gave him a portion of his very specific energy.

So the thing in the manga is still stupid.

Caros
May 14, 2008

TFRazorsaw posted:

re: that bit in the new episode of Super

The assassin was only about to use the destruction technique because Sidra gave him a portion of his very specific energy.

So the thing in the manga is still stupid.

Specifically it is referred to as Hakai Ki. Beerus suspects (though isn't sure) that it came from another God of Destruction. The fact that he doesn't immediately know it came from a God of Destruction suggests pretty heavily that they aren't the only source of it. Doubly so since Freeza was able to manipulate the ki without ever having interacted with it before.

Hakai Ki appears to be just another weird layer of God Ki, and Hakai is just a technique using it. Really shouldn't surprise anyone that Son "I saw the Kamehameha one time and did it" Goku manages to pick up a new skill.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

How come Goku is the only one who can use instant transmission? You'd think he'd teach Gohan how at a minimum.

Goku might be a prodigious student but he's probably an awful teacher and not someone you'd trust to teach you a potentially suicidal technique.

On the other hand, teach Piccolo the kaioken you fucks

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

You're dealing in a lot of assumptions there, especially that it comes from the base powers of god ki. Even then, Goku has never seen the Hakai technique in the manga, so there's no way he should be able to copy it.

There should be a limit to Goku's being able to instantly figure out and pull things out of his rear end, even then. Especially since the manga has been ridiculous about him in general to a much greater extent the original manga and Super have ever been.

edit - also, Beerus doesn't mention being unsure it came from another GoD, he just goes "that was the ki of destruction, wasn't it?" and Whis accuses Frieza of plotting with other universes.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 18, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Goku might be a prodigious student but he's probably an awful teacher and not someone you'd trust to teach you a potentially suicidal technique.

On the other hand, teach Piccolo the kaioken you fucks

Goku taught Gohan to become a super saiyan and helped his son and maintain it near constantly, as well as helped Goten and Trunks learn how to fuse within the space of a single day.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Lol, Freeza

Caros
May 14, 2008

TFRazorsaw posted:

You're dealing in a lot of assumptions there, especially that it comes from the base powers of god ki. Even then, Goku has never seen the Hakai technique in the manga, so there's no way he should be able to copy it.

There should be a limit to Goku's being able to instantly figure out and pull things out of his rear end, even then. Especially since the manga has been ridiculous about him in general to a much greater extent the original manga and Super have ever been.

Vegeta seems to know what the technique is in the leaked manga page, and Goku clearly knows what it is since he uses it by name. I'm certainly willing to entertain the idea that it is an enormous gaping plot hole, but just assuming it is a plot hole based on one image and knowledge of the anime plotline seems a bit much.

The translations are also trickling through. Apparently Goku isn't actually using Hakai, he is mimicking the technique. Strikes me as sort of a 'brute force it with all of your power' sort of thing instead of Beerus' casual 'I erase you from existance sort of thing. Interestingly, I think this is the first time it is ever even referred to as a technique, instead of just something Beerus and other GoDs say when they vaporize someone.

It also fails because Zamasu reaches out through his weird dimensional portal thing and grabs Mai as a human shield. Which is kind of awesome.

quote:

also, Beerus doesn't mention being unsure it came from another GoD, he just goes "that was the ki of destruction, wasn't it?" and Whis accuses Frieza of plotting with other universes.

Good point, newer translation made that more clear. It also does point out that things destroyed with Hakai Ki don't go to the afterlife, they're just gone. So.. yeah, up to three types of ki now.
Hakai appears to be just a ki attack with Super-Ultra ki. One that can be resisted like any other ki attack if you are strong enough.

Caros fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 18, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That's... still pretty weak, to be honest. The manga has set itself up as having specific, unique events, so just delegating that to the off screen or painting with a wide brush kind of undermines its own worth as an alternate story.

And what? It fails? That makes zero sense. What is Zamasu going to do, just stand around with half his body disintegrated? Did they take out the fusion cancelling out his immortality, because that's also super dumb.

also, someone mimicking it still makes the power feel a lot less special. If you can get the same results just by cheesing it, and the only thing stopping it is a dirty trick,
what makes being a GoD special at all?

Caros
May 14, 2008

TFRazorsaw posted:

That's... still pretty weak, to be honest. The manga has set itself up as having specific, unique events, so just delegating that to the off screen or painting with a wide brush kind of undermines its own worth as an alternate story.

And what? It fails? That makes zero sense. What is Zamasu going to do, just stand around with half his body disintegrated? Did they take out the fusion cancelling out his immortality, because that's also super dumb.

also, someone mimicking it still makes the power feel a lot less special. If you can get the same results just by cheesing it, and the only thing stopping it is a dirty trick,
what makes being a GoD special at all?

Fusion didn't cancel his immortality in the anime version either. He just kept regenerating into a weird sludge man and then eventually into that thing from the end of earthbound. In this version (which still isn't out so hosed if I know) he appears to barely survive the attack, get cut in half by Trunks, and then start multiplying somehow because Trunks screwed up and made the situation worse. I think.

The power is less special, it just got handed off to a random dog minion and then tanked by Freeza. People assumed that it was some instant win kill anything and everything attack despite having only ever been used on mooks (and Zamasu, who was kind of a mook).

You could say the same thing about God Ki. Something like half the good guy cast of Dragonball Super can avoid being obliterated by Goku despite the fact that God Ki, on its introduction, put him on a (weaker) level than Beerus, who could have obliterated the entire cast with a thought. Power levels are bullshit, No ultimate technique stays that way forever.

Caros fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 18, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I thought we were all in agreement that the Manga was stupid earlier so I'm not sure why everyone's arguing about it.

The explanation for Freeza powering up while in hell was cool and this episode was a lot of fun, it was over real fast and I was sad about that.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Caros posted:

Fusion didn't cancel his immortality in the anime version either. He just kept regenerating into a weird sludge man and then eventually into that thing from the end of earthbound. In this version (which still isn't out so hosed if I know) he appears to barely survive the attack, get cut in half by Trunks, and then start multiplying somehow because Trunks screwed up and made the situation worse. I think.

well, the regeneration failed to ressurect his physical body, at least.

The part I edited before you quoted me still stands, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

I thought we were all in agreement that the Manga was stupid earlier so I'm not sure why everyone's arguing about it.

The explanation for Freeza powering up while in hell was cool and this episode was a lot of fun, it was over real fast and I was sad about that.

Caros is the lone manga decision defender

• Locked thread