Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

Just tell it you're not interested in those items. It will eventually stop. Of course a couple times a year it forgets that I've told it I'm not interested and start popping them back up again.

The hallmark of good software design: tell it to stop and it will maybe stop eventually sort of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I guess Google Now did eventually stop notifying me about TV shows I don't watch anymore. But they removed the ability to add shows that I do watch, so...

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Uthor posted:

I guess Google Now did eventually stop notifying me about TV shows I don't watch anymore. But they removed the ability to add shows that I do watch, so...

Might wanna check again on that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mental Hospitality posted:

Here you go ColdPie, I still have my first Android phone if you want it.

A mind boggling 3.2 inch screen.

Edit:
heh, plugged it in for the first time in 4 years and it booted CyanogenMod 9.

My Aria! That lil baby was awesome.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

nimper posted:

Might wanna check again on that.

Oh, hey!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

(CLAM DOWN trigger warning)

The OP3 just picked up OxygenOS 4.1.6 which has May 2017 security level. They fixed the only thing that bugged me at all about the phone which was that the proximity sensor wasn't quite sensitive enough.

Phone still owns, very happy with it, never settle, hail satan

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Jesus, that's gorgeous. And I thought I lived near beautiful mountains. Canadian Rockies?

Sorry for the delayed response, I'm on a cruise right now. That was in or near Skagway, Alaska.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

docbeard posted:

The hallmark of good software design: tell it to stop and it will maybe stop eventually sort of.

The word for this design feature is "smart".

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

docbeard posted:

This, just like *snaps finger*. It's like all the Alexa engineers have children and knew what would happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5p0gqCIEa8

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

RZA Encryption posted:

Sorry for the delayed response, I'm on a cruise right now. That was in or near Skagway, Alaska.

No worries. That is unbelievably beautiful. I have a pretty awesome work commute but now I am super jealous. Definitely need to add Skagway to the list of places to visit, thank you.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

(CLAM DOWN trigger warning)

The OP3 just picked up OxygenOS 4.1.6 which has May 2017 security level. They fixed the only thing that bugged me at all about the phone which was that the proximity sensor wasn't quite sensitive enough.

Phone still owns, very happy with it, never settle, hail satan

There was a link a little ways back itt where they demonstrated that while OnePlus says they're at such and such security patch level they don't actually incorporate the fixes so actually you aren't on the May 2017 level (which would be out of date even if were true, which it isn't).

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Taffer posted:

i did, it is good

Alright, this was definitely a pro reference.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

LastInLine posted:

There was a link a little ways back itt where they demonstrated that while OnePlus says they're at such and such security patch level they don't actually incorporate the fixes so actually you aren't on the May 2017 level (which would be out of date even if were true, which it isn't).

You might be getting things mixed up here, I posted this exact thing about LineageOS a couple days ago.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Isn't oxygen based off lineage or did they just use to run cyanogenmod or smth

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The original Oneplus shipped with CyanogenOS which got replaced by the Oneplus internally created OxygenOS after the company behind CyanogenOS went to poo poo. OxygenOS now is probably the closest to stock Android you can find outside of Googles own devices.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Gotcha

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Internet Explorer posted:

No worries. That is unbelievably beautiful. I have a pretty awesome work commute but now I am super jealous. Definitely need to add Skagway to the list of places to visit, thank you.

Not to derail, but it looks like the White Pass Summit train. Skagway is one of the popular Alaskan cruise stops, and the train is one of the excursions available on that stop.

If you have a chance to do an Alaskan cruise, do it without question. Of all the trips I've been on, that's the one that I would absolutely do over minute for minute. The slow cruise through Glacier Bay watching Margerie Glacier calf into the sea from our balcony was the most amazing thing I've ever witnessed.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bandire posted:

Not to derail, but it looks like the White Pass Summit train. Skagway is one of the popular Alaskan cruise stops, and the train is one of the excursions available on that stop.

If you have a chance to do an Alaskan cruise, do it without question. Of all the trips I've been on, that's the one that I would absolutely do over minute for minute. The slow cruise through Glacier Bay watching Margerie Glacier calf into the sea from our balcony was the most amazing thing I've ever witnessed.

Continuing the derail, an Alaskan cruise is already on the list to do next year. I'm not big on cruises but one up north sounds amazing. Not so much putzing around in the Caribbean.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've been on two Alaskan cruises. I do not like cruises, but those are among the best experiences of my life.

I took my android phone with me.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

I took my android phone with me.

Totally nailed it. This must be why they gave you a little blue star.

Going back to the original point, I was really impressed with RZA's picture and have already used it as an example to show several people how good Pixel cameras are.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

LastInLine posted:

That was about LIneageOS which has nothing to do with OnePlus whatsoever but thanks for perpetuating the thread's idiotic circlejerk

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I took this the same week I got my Pixel, it blew me away in terms of "holy crap, this is a photo I took with a cell phone at night, and it looks this good."

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Pixel camera is so good, I took this last week crossing the street

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
:drat:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Did the thread title get changed or am I brain damaged

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It could be both

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

one plus one equals don't buy one

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Everything new is old again.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

That was about LIneageOS which has nothing to do with OnePlus whatsoever but thanks for perpetuating the thread's idiotic circlejerk

You're right, I lost track of which dumb poo poo for idiots is which, thanks for setting me straight. :)

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
My 6P has started complaining about not having a SIM card installed, seemingly at random. A reboot fixes it, but the next time I glance at it it'll be back.

I've made phone calls in the last few days without any issue following a reboot, so I'm a little puzzled. Anyone else?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The sim may have come unseated, pull it out and stick it back in is the first thing to do

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
My Nexus 5X is catching LG Disease 14 months after purchase, right on schedule. Battery life has been horrible for days and the phone constantly gives me a notification of "USB supplying power to attached device". Cleaning the port and rebooting did nothing. Seems like a known issue from a quick Google search.

I guess it's G5+ Time instead of holding on until New Pixel Time.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
if my Nexus 6p goes insane I don't know what the hell I'm gonna get. I don't want to go back to micro-usb and don't want to spring for a Pixel where even used on Swappa are still $550+

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

FistEnergy posted:

My Nexus 5X is catching LG Disease 14 months after purchase, right on schedule. Battery life has been horrible for days and the phone constantly gives me a notification of "USB supplying power to attached device". Cleaning the port and rebooting did nothing. Seems like a known issue from a quick Google search.

I guess it's G5+ Time instead of holding on until New Pixel Time.

Welp, this probably answers my question. Came here to ask whether I should buy a friend's 5X, which is a brand new (I assume refurb) replacement for a 5X that bootlooped. Is $150 a good deal on a phone that even though is "new" will probably inevitably break and lead me to grabbing a G5+ while I wait for a new Pixel?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Have my Nextbit Robin and I have to say for $130 it is a fabulous phone. It's quick, the build quality is excellent, the screen looks great, it is running Nougat, the fingerprint sensor is very reliable, I actually like it a lot better than the one on my S7 Edge+.

Probably not great for games (I don't play games) but I think it is a steal for $130. I don't know anything else with Quickcharge, NFC and Fingerprint at anywhere near the price.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Vice President posted:

Welp, this probably answers my question. Came here to ask whether I should buy a friend's 5X, which is a brand new (I assume refurb) replacement for a 5X that bootlooped. Is $150 a good deal on a phone that even though is "new" will probably inevitably break and lead me to grabbing a G5+ while I wait for a new Pixel?

I'd go for the G5+.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Vice President posted:

Moto g4.plus is on sale for 150 today

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Vice President posted:

It's probably not new, everything I've read about the 5X is that they only made the initial production run a year and a half ago, so while maybe it's been sitting in a warehouse more likely it's someone else's lovely 5X made to work just long enough for the customer.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Blue Train posted:

The sim may have come unseated, pull it out and stick it back in is the first thing to do

Trip report: it wasn't unseated, but the contacts seemed a little grubby. I've no idea how or why the SIM contacts were grubby as it hasn't been opened since I bought the thing!, but it seems to be working now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
I have an old Asus Nexus 7 that needs upgraded. Every time I click to download the "available update" (Android 4.4.3) it downloads, but then crashes when I click "Restart and Install" - shows a little android guy with his chest open declaring "ERROR!"

Is there a way to upgrade to a more current OS?