Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

got any sevens posted:

Those fcc rules might not last forever, esp with repubs in charge willing to take corporate bribes to ease any restrictions

"Don't Jam Signals" seems like pretty much the most basic law that exists. Like we end the radio age if we don't very forcefully manage who broadcasts what on what channel. I think the human race could degrade to mad max levels and we'd still have mobs of people that went around murdering people if they were jamming up the remaining radio communication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

FCKGW posted:

I was in a Sears Grand store last weekend and there were a grand total of 30 cars in the parking lot mid-day Saturday.

that's more then i've ever seen at a sears, congrats on having the one sears thats "thriving"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Sure. Most stores wouldn't want to block cell signals either. But if one did there are ways to build that in ways that aren't obvious you are trying to block cell signals.

It would be extremely obvious if cell service all of a sudden stopped working in a store you go to, and cell carriers would notice complaints too.

got any sevens posted:

Those fcc rules might not last forever, esp with repubs in charge willing to take corporate bribes to ease any restrictions

Uh, no, cell providers paid good money for the spectrum, and the cops are never going to be happy if you impede their own communications. AT&T and Verizon can pay a lot more in bribes to keep those rules and the cops would be hollering like crazy about how jammers help terrorists and criminals. Retailers can't match that sort of force.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

And yet people still want to debate if EMF causes cancer for some reason.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

fishmech posted:

That's not going to be standard practice because it is extremely illegal, especially since cell phone jammers often interfere with police communications.

Almost every Target I've been has seemed like a Faraday cage. Cell phone absolutely dead until I get out the door. I wonder if/when purposeful things like that (assuming it's purposeful) could also be outlawed.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

duodenum posted:

Almost every Target I've been has seemed like a Faraday cage. Cell phone absolutely dead until I get out the door. I wonder if/when purposeful things like that (assuming it's purposeful) could also be outlawed.

Many large steel warehouse buildings are. I don't think it's intentional, just that they are a steel cage.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I do technology for small schools and schools are all cinderblocks with metal plates in between because fear of fire is so big and it's a nightmare for wifi but teachers love it because it keeps kids off their phones some.

Phone companies will help you set up cell signal repeaters for cheap amounts if you want. like <10,000 dollars for a whole building. But I think there is a lot of places like schools and old movie theaters where they just blocked signal by accident because they made walls thick for some other reason and now can take a "nah, we're good" attitude about fixing the problem, even if it'd be pretty doable to fix.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
A tangent but related: Do people generally know how big a deal wifi cell phone tracking is? It's a technology that has existed for like 10+ years if you were a fancy nerd but is basically standard now as a gui option on pretty much any enterprise quality wireless system. Like a mall really really wants you to have your wifi on because it gives them a beacon that lets them track where you are exactly down to a foot or so. Like you can get real time traffic flow maps now pretty much for free forever if you spend an hour or so slowly standing in rooms spinning around with a laptop on. With generic information if you have the wifi on but not connected and like, a specific personal map across all visits of your exact path if you connect to the wifi.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

A tangent but related: Do people generally know how big a deal wifi cell phone tracking is? It's a technology that has existed for like 10+ years if you were a fancy nerd but is basically standard now as a gui option on pretty much any enterprise quality wireless system. Like a mall really really wants you to have your wifi on because it gives them a beacon that lets them track where you are exactly down to a foot or so. Like you can get real time traffic flow maps now pretty much for free forever if you spend an hour or so slowly standing in rooms spinning around with a laptop on. With generic information if you have the wifi on but not connected and like, a specific personal map across all visits of your exact path if you connect to the wifi.

It is a big deal and almost every big box retailer has been doing it for years.

They like to track how people move through the stores.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Xae posted:

It is a big deal and almost every big box retailer has been doing it for years.

They like to track how people move through the stores.

Cisco released their big unified location services thing in late 2006. But that probably wasn't too valuable for customer tracking until a year or two later when smart phones got big. So yeah, probably had like 5 years of really in depth tracking. So like, plenty of time to collect the data but probably not enough time that they have physically redesigned stores much based on the results.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Even before cell tracking they used laser tripwires and pressure mats to estimate it. WiFi tracking was just more accurate, cheaper and easier.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

axeil posted:

Wegmans is such a good grocery store I literally drive 40 minutes once a month to go to the one out in Fairfax instead of just walking to the grocery store down the street from my house. It's that much better.

They built that one literally on the 5 minute walk from my apartment to my work. Talk about convenient. I *still* miss that Wegmans 10 years later.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Xae posted:

Even before cell tracking they used laser tripwires and pressure mats to estimate it. WiFi tracking was just more accurate, cheaper and easier.

Sure, and before that they had someone stand in the store and go "huh, looks like people go right to the candy isle, lets put some candy up front" or whatever. But precise real time movement tracking of "xae's iphone" across every trip to every target is some pretty huge new tools that wasn't really a thing before.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Sure, and before that they had someone stand in the store and go "huh, looks like people go right to the candy isle, lets put some candy up front" or whatever. But precise real time movement tracking of "xae's iphone" across every trip to every target is some pretty huge new tools that wasn't really a thing before.

Which really makes you wonder if those new tools are generating any insights more profound or powerful than that observer. Not sure if there's a lot of room left for innovation around floor/inventory layouts

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

El Mero Mero posted:

Which really makes you wonder if those new tools are generating any insights more profound or powerful than that observer. Not sure if there's a lot of room left for innovation around floor/inventory layouts

Well, the nice salesman from the company who'll charge you $200,000 per install certainly says it does! :v:

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
London Underground have an amazing analytics department and released the tracking data from their opt in wifi users trial.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2017/02/heres-what-tfl-learned-from-tracking-your-phone-on-the-tube/

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

El Mero Mero posted:

Think about how big a deal it was when websites went from simple hit counters and page load bar graphs to modern analytics. Think of all the teams of people that study exactly how many milliseconds a person is engaged with each page of a site and the exact workflow people use and exactly what page causes them to leave the page and stuff.

Stores do that stuff too, but it's slow and sporadic, imagine a store that generates as much data on their customers as something like amazon does. It's a big deal.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Think about how big a deal it was when websites went from simple hit counters and page load bar graphs to modern analytics. Think of all the teams of people that study exactly how many milliseconds a person is engaged with each page of a site and the exact workflow people use and exactly what page causes them to leave the page and stuff.

Stores do that stuff too, but it's slow and sporadic, imagine a store that generates as much data on their customers as something like amazon does. It's a big deal.

Think also of how most people never actually achieve anything from all those analytics, or get the wrong ideas from them. Or have the analytics crippled by problems with browser support or active meddling by the user.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Online shopping is absolutely new terrain though and there was no prior set of experience to really draw from. The insights that analytics gave to Amazon in that space were incredibly impactful not just because of the tools but also because they were prospecting an unmined landscape.

Brick and mortar retail has lots of prior research. There may not exist opportunities for dramatic disruptive gains to be had in this space outside of hoping on monopoly pricing.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 18, 2017

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
One of the more interesting takes I've seen re: the Whole Foods buyout is that Whole Foods isn't actually doing so well and Amazon may not even care about their grocery business as much as their urban real estate, so they could do anything from shrink their grocery operations in favor of warehouse space and fulfillment to turn them into some sort of hybrid store, or (probably more far-fetched) scrap their grocery operations entirely.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

If nothing else, I imagine every Whole Foods will probably be an Amazon Locker location in the near future.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Yeah I don't see Amazon scrapping it and idk with zoning and everything but a lot of locations wouldn't even make sense as a warehouse being more in mixed-development areas. I'm sure they do want them for grocery/distribution, and real estate and having easy footholds in a lot of areas to utilize Amazon lockers, delivery/pickup, and Amazon Fresh program and in-store presense. I could see them trying to transform a little bit with adding Amazon brick&mortar good spaces and stuff into them as well.

They seem to be have been doing fine, but I'm sure they overexpanded a lot in areas it doesn't make sense and probably more farmers markets/asian produce stores and things are eating them in some places. Also stagnating/falling wages is probably hurting a bit but from my experience, the more obvious competitor is something like Safeway-Albertsons and they sell just as, if not sometimes even more, expensive produce and cheese but significantly worse quality (i.e. many on the verge of wilting already)

Also JANA partners is a pretty evil activist investor and basically just try to get a stake in a company and try to force them to sell so they can get a quick buck and get out. I.e. URS Corporation (lot of friends worked there when that poo poo went down), Safeway, Petsmart, more recently Whole Foods, and half a dozen other ones. Whole Foods might not have sold so quickly.

It's cool Aldi is expanding tho so we may finally get some in Nor Cal.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
For what it's worth, Whole Foods stock peaked in 2013 shortly after their last stock split, and has been on a general decline since then. They of couse recently got a boost from news of the acquisition.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

RuanGacho posted:

And yet people still want to debate if EMF causes cancer for some reason.

Uh, EMF tends to have more pressing immediate health effects if received in high amounts than just cancer.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

re: in-store wifi, what's the legality (if any kind of regulation/etc. exists) regarding stores turning on your wifi and connecting your phone to their service despite you having your wifi turned off? I haven't had this happen in a long time but yeesh

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Snoo posted:

re: in-store wifi, what's the legality (if any kind of regulation/etc. exists) regarding stores turning on your wifi and connecting your phone to their service despite you having your wifi turned off? I haven't had this happen in a long time but yeesh

Uhhh, this is possible?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Snoo posted:

That's not a thing unless you have some serious malware on your phone.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

WampaLord posted:

Uhhh, this is possible?

It isn't unless maybe you had an app installed that automatically set up the store's WiFi connection on install. But that would still require your WiFi being turned on.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

OneEightHundred posted:

Maybe the bigger problem though is that if this is Amazon's foot in the door of brick-and-mortar sales, then it might expand into other categories..

I used to work at Blue Apron and Amazon's desire to beef up food delivery options with (more than the current preprepped item) meal kits and/or coupled grocery packages was well known. Whole Foods already runs a partnership with a competing company to put their kits on the shelves and the stores themselves have been becoming increasingly based on "prep/manufactury as a service" so combining this existing capacity with Amazon's last mile delivery solves a lot of problems with the kit model and does not suffer from the limitations encountered when doing mass manufacturing at a limited set of locations, as Whole Foods can piggyback store infrastructure to manage waste, increase regional options, and offer a more complete bundle of offerings, and Amazon refrigerated last mile reduces packaging and the need for insanely heavy gel ice packs both a burden in terms of materials and shipping cost (as well as psychological issue people have around poor biases when understanding packaging impact or the fact that the biodegradable ice packs are filled with pink gel that cannot possibly be biodegradable as claimed and really must be the same as old school anti-freeze).

While Whole Foods has its issues as a grocery chain and purveyor of fine snake oil, it is relatively uniquely placed to fill current and future gaps in Amazon's grocery roadmap. This acquisition easily put them 3-5 years ahead of where they would be and the only other possible options are regional anyway. Out of the box this gives Amazon a simple path forward to outcompete Blue Apron, which likely does not bode well for the recently announced IPO. From a supply chain and operations perspective of Amazon's grocery game, this acquisition is a masterstroke and catapults them well past the restrictiveness of the e-comm model irt innovative methods of evolving food consumption patterns (via delivery as I don't see the inherent wastefulness of the grocery store paradigm changing until a massive revolution occurs in delivery or some other means outside of brick and mortar).

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Xaris posted:

idk with zoning and everything
I don't mean like turning it into a warehouse with no sales (which would certainly violate zoning codes), I'm thinking more like doing what Wal-Mart did when they made Supercenters, except in the other direction, converting into a combination of grocery and whatever an "Amazon store" is. It'd also allow them to do what Wal-Mart is trying to do, use a large physical footprint to complement their online operations and potentially get a lot of hot items closer to their point of delivery.

e: Here's one of the articles making the point I guess, which probably reinforces what archangelwar is saying:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-amazon-logistics-delivery-20170616-story.html

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 18, 2017

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Peachfart posted:

It isn't unless maybe you had an app installed that automatically set up the store's WiFi connection on install. But that would still require your WiFi being turned on.

thank you for jogging my memory! I had an app for a department store my spouse worked at, except it did actually turn on my wifi despite it being off. it would drain my battery extremely fast.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

exploded mummy posted:

Uh, EMF tends to have more pressing immediate health effects if received in high amounts than just cancer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ9Xk0Lln5Y

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

In the times: cashiers, automation, Whole Foods, and Amazon

Amazon’s Move Signals End of Line for Many Cashiers https://nyti.ms/2tyiGdu

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Well I'm just glad we didn't raise minimum wage to $15/hr so this inevitability is happening right now as opposed to some point in the near-ish future.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Amazon Go is never going to see widespread adoption for a long, long time if ever.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BrandorKP posted:

In the times: cashiers, automation, Whole Foods, and Amazon

Amazon’s Move Signals End of Line for Many Cashiers https://nyti.ms/2tyiGdu

This future they describe is decades off if its even possible.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

https://www.usatoday.com/pages/interactives/news/rigged-forced-into-debt-worked-past-exhaustion-left-with-nothing/

Hey guys here is a heartwarming story about modern day indentured sharecropping.

quote:

A yearlong investigation by the USA TODAY Network found that port trucking companies in southern California have spent the past decade forcing drivers to finance their own trucks by taking on debt they could not afford. Companies then used that debt as leverage to extract forced labor and trap drivers in jobs that left them destitute.

If a driver quit, the company seized his truck and kept everything he had paid towards owning it.

If drivers missed payments, or if they got sick or became too exhausted to go on, their companies fired them and kept everything. Then they turned around and leased the trucks to someone else.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

hobbesmaster posted:

This future they describe is decades off if its even possible.

Which parts do you believe aren't possible? The only thing that's pie-in-the-sky in that article is the idea of fully automated delivery. Everything else either exists right now or could exist if there was demand for it. The quote at the end of the article nails it, in any case:

quote:

“The bigger and more profound way that technology affects jobs is by completely reinventing the business model,” he said. “Amazon didn’t go put a robot into the bookstores and help you check out books faster. It completely reinvented bookstores. The idea of a cashier won’t be so much automated as just made irrelevant — you’ll just tell your Echo what you need, or perhaps it will anticipate what you need, and stuff will get delivered to you.”

People are worried about unmanned stores run by robots, but that seems like a kind of silly idea. If you don't want to deal with a person then just order whatever you want online. You can do this right now. Hell, you can even order fast food this way if you really want to.

edit- I wouldn't be surprised to see something like automats make a comeback, though. People really liked them and the primary cause of their decline was a combination of payment difficulties and an inability to compete with fast food restaurants that paid employees bottom of the barrel wages.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 18, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What's an automat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

What's an automat?

imagine a store that was just one giant vending machine