Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I prefer stringly typed myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Its surprising to me how often programmers conflate weak, strong, dynamic when arguing about typing.

I guess "surprising" isn't the right word, because thats exactly what I would expect...

yeah most people are just bad at words in general

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

This wouldn't happen if English was a strongly typed language.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Actually, being able to verb nouns is super handy.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

vOv posted:

This wouldn't happen if English was a strongly typed language.

Whereof one cannot type, thereof one must be silent.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Doc Hawkins posted:

Whereof one cannot type, thereof one must be silent.
The true meaning of the Tractatus, discovered at last.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

The true meaning of the Tractatus, discovered at last.

Clearly he meant true meaning is only found in the real world, outside of programs. But you just know some maniacs are going to misinterpret it as saying we should disallow all untyped programs.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

This seems to be type correct, I see no problem.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

QuarkJets posted:

yeah most people are just bad at words in general

I think a lot of terminology is learned on the job, and so people don't necessarily ever hear the formal definitions, they just hear that "so-and-so language is a weakly typed language" but they never understand precisely why it's considered a weakly typed language.

I know this is my problem, with quite a few technical terms.

putin is a cunt fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jun 17, 2017

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

It could also be that weak/strong are pretty nebulous, with no agreed-upon definitions. Static/dynamic are good to go, however.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Zopotantor posted:

This seems to be type correct, I see no problem.

Humans is undefined.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Doc Hawkins posted:

Clearly he meant true meaning is only found in the real world, outside of programs. But you just know some maniacs are going to misinterpret it as saying we should disallow all untyped programs.
Propositions are types :smugdog:

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

hyphz posted:

Humans is undefined.

I thought the joke was it's one = instead of two in the if statement. So not really a typing joke, a C joke!

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

chutwig posted:

I thought the joke was it's one = instead of two in the if statement. So not really a typing joke, a C joke!

Yeah, that is definitely the intended joke, it's an assignment instead of a comparison.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I was half expecting a ==/=== joke.

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010

hailthefish posted:

I was half expecting a ==/=== joke.

I can totally see some language introducing that as the "equals but not equal to" operator.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
if (x could be mistaken for y in the right light) {

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/kcpike/status/875733167088336898

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
idgi i clicked the link and those quotes aren't there?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

NewForumSoftware posted:

idgi i clicked the link and those quotes aren't there?

Read the replies, apparently they edited the story.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lol if your tab key doesn't create a bunch of spaces

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

idiotmeat posted:

I can totally see some language introducing that as the "equals but not equal to" operator.

Ah, from the same people who introduced SQL's LIKE BUT NOT, LIKE, LIKE LIKE.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Dongsturm posted:

I can't help myself.

JITs (just in time compilers) require weak typing. They build a function out of data, then they change the type to a function so it can be called.

No, they require the ability to consciously and selectively disregard typing. Having the ability to remove safety guards from a machine is different from having a machine that doesn't have safety guards in the first place.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

idiotmeat posted:

Other way around, sorta. The == operator in php (and javascript?), which does implicit conversion, has some 'quirky' behavior:

B-Nasty posted:

I was more referring to the snippet of PHP, which is complaining about the horror of implicit conversion.

PHP pop quiz. What are these values:

code:
(bool)""
(bool)"TRUE"
(bool)"FALSE"
(bool)"false"

=== is the operator in those languages for exact (i.e. type AND value) comparison.

Tabs vs Spaces: Lol if you don't have your IDE automatically format everything for you so you literally never have to think about it?

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010

Doom Mathematic posted:

Ah, from the same people who introduced SQL's LIKE BUT NOT, LIKE, LIKE LIKE.

Surely you're joking.

hailthefish posted:

Other way around, sorta. The == operator in php (and javascript?), which does implicit conversion, has some 'quirky' behavior:

=== is the operator in those languages for exact (i.e. type AND value) comparison.

It was a joke, but I was intending something equivalent to (in java):

code:

a.equals(b) && a != b

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

hailthefish posted:

Tabs vs Spaces: Lol if you don't have your IDE automatically format everything for you so you literally never have to think about it?

Except when everyone has their editor set up differently, and new versions don't import existing settings, and people don't care enough to set up their editors correctly, and you can't share settings amongst a team, and...

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

redleader posted:

Except when everyone has their editor set up differently, and new versions don't import existing settings, and people don't care enough to set up their editors correctly, and you can't share settings amongst a team, and...

Sounds like a team with a poo poo lead, OP.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Sounds like a team with a poo poo lead, OP.

No disagreement there.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Kinda glad my team only has three people and we're not opinionated either way so just stick to the default indentation in VS (tabs).

We have resharper to help keep caps consistent too but theres one member of the team who consistently typos in method names and poo poo. It's ridiculous but I might end up having to institute code review for this one person.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Kinda glad my team only has three people and we're not opinionated either way so just stick to the default indentation in VS (tabs).

We have resharper to help keep caps consistent too but theres one member of the team who consistently typos in method names and poo poo. It's ridiculous but I might end up having to institute code review for this one person.

We usually just use VS's default, but I was writing a script in notepad++ and the tabbing was inconsistent with other code. My boss had me fix it after code review. He's a good boss. :unsmith:

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Any excuse for a code review is a good excuse.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

TheBlackVegetable posted:

Any excuse for a code review is a good excuse.

True, and occasionally he does take it upon himself to ask me to double check his poo poo, but I feel like it's ridiculous that I can't trust this person to do the simple stuff (we're paid equally and share the exact same position, which is what may be underpinning my frustration to be honest).

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Code review is good. You should be doing it regardless.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

redleader posted:

Code review is good. You should be doing it regardless.

100% this. Code review is always good.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

necrotic posted:

100% this. Code review is always good.

9000% this.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

I think you're kind of missing my point. I know code review is good. I'm not saying it's bad.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I can't believe you're saying code review is bad.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
New thread title?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Snak posted:

New thread title?

:bisonyes: