Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I would've loved that because Kirby's mystical approach to sci fi would endlessly frustrate "hard sci fi" fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Heavy Metal had been selling daygo prints of that stuff for a few years.
http://io9.gizmodo.com/behold-the-psychedelic-glory-of-jack-kirbys-argo-art-i-1712647027?IR=T

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I would've loved that because Kirby's mystical approach to sci fi would endlessly frustrate "hard sci fi" fans.

Lords of Light is well into indistinguishable from magic mystical wierdness for a lot of it, so it's all good.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Speaking of crazy Jack Kirby art, I love this art he did for the official NFL magazine.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

goatface posted:

Lords of Light is well into indistinguishable from magic mystical wierdness for a lot of it, so it's all good.

That book is so loving weird. I wish I could've seen the whole story visualised by Kirby.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Did Kirby ever do designs for an adaptation of Dune, or am I confusing it with that documentary about Jodorowski's Dune?

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011
Is liking Kirby a bit like liking Kubrick, aka, you better if you're gonna talk about the medium? Not trying to get on anyone's case but the dude's work makes me despair sight itself.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Toadstrieb posted:

Is liking Kirby a bit like liking Kubrick, aka, you better if you're gonna talk about the medium? Not trying to get on anyone's case but the dude's work makes me despair sight itself.

It's pretty much impossible to expect everyone to like Kirby, as with any artist with such a distinctive style. Personally, I appreciate it more as a historical artifact than anything else. I can't honestly say I'd be happy to see Kirby art as we know it in a modern comic.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I would, hell

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I'm not sure if I'd be curious or horrified to see what modern inkers and colors would do to Kirby's pencils.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I feel like Jack would be okay with people being punched you know.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

He'd punch Nick Spencer right off the fuckin credits page for Captain America

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

purple death ray posted:

He'd b 100 this year and I wouldn't put it past someone like Morrison to zombie voodoo him back to life so this could still happen.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

haitfais posted:

It's pretty much impossible to expect everyone to like Kirby, as with any artist with such a distinctive style. Personally, I appreciate it more as a historical artifact than anything else. I can't honestly say I'd be happy to see Kirby art as we know it in a modern comic.

Tom Scioli's entire body of work

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I view Kirby kinda like I do Picasso...he was a master at what he did, but it definitely isn't a style that should be in wide use.

And yes, he'd beat the tar out of Spencer for what he's done to Cap. Now someone post the Will Eisner story about Jack running off a freakin mob enforcer with zero fear in the badass thread.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toadstrieb posted:

Even if you don't like Kirby's artstyle if you're unable to recognize his talent as a comic book artist then you're not really going to be able to talk about the medium properly, no. An inability to divorce "I like it" from "I recognize its influence and strengths" is a major problem when discussing anything.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ImpAtom posted:

Even if you don't like Kirby's artstyle if you're unable to recognize his talent as a comic book artist then you're not really going to be able to talk about the medium properly, no. An inability to divorce "I like it" from "I recognize its influence and strengths" is a major problem when discussing anything.

It's something that can be tough to learn. At least, it was (still is) for me. :shobon:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toadstrieb posted:

:frogout:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

goatface posted:

In fact "indistinguishable from magic" is kind of the conceit that makes the entire plot function, what with the people with access to technology saying "gently caress it, I guess we're gods now."

(Such a good book - and Kirby could do it justice)

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Toadstrieb posted:

You don't have to like his work, but you have to appreciate the influence he had on the medium. Kirby's art, especially later on, is weird and can be off-putting, but that's part of its strength. If it was some perfect platonic ideal of comic art that everyone liked, it wouldn't be nearly as interesting.

Personally, I love it. Kirby's original run on The Demon is may be my favorite comic of all time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kirby didn't draw beautiful people the way someone like Romita did but his wild inventiveness, unique style, and nearly unmatched dynamism and energy make any work of his a sight to behold. He's like the ideal of superhero comic books as only comic books can provide, rather than merely an attempt at realism or movie screenshots.

I wouldn't want everyone to use his style (what would that even mean) but I would say the same thing about any artist. Make 'em all different, put the notion of "house style" to bed, etc.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

NorgLyle posted:

I'm not sure if I'd be curious or horrified to see what modern inkers and colors would do to Kirby's pencils.

I once saw what a modern inker did to an unpublished Ditko comic and it made me wanna throw up.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

purple death ray posted:

Probably not. Kirby would do a story with a cover saying "CAPTAIN AMERICA: DIRECTOR OF...HYDRA!?"

"YOU'LL HAVE TO SEE IT TO BELIEVE IT! FIND OUT HOW IN THIS MERRY MARVEL EPIC!"

Hydra Cap would be punching Sam, yelling "HAIL HYDRA!" while a waifish Sharon Carter looks on. "SAY IT AINT SO, STEVE! CAPTAIN AMERICA WAS WORKING FOR HYDRA ALL ALONG! *choke*"

EDIT: The Allred's inked and colored a Black Bolt pin up for the Kirby Collector and it looked amazing.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 17, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

Probably not. Kirby would do a story with a cover saying "CAPTAIN AMERICA: DIRECTOR OF...HYDRA!?"

"YOU'LL HAVE TO SEE IT TO BELIEVE IT! FIND OUT HOW IN THIS MERRY MARVEL EPIC!"

Hydra Cap would be punching Sam, yelling "HAIL HYDRA!" while a waifish Sharon Carter looks on.

Yeah, that's totally the same thing as what Nick Spencer's doing. There isn't any difference at all.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Just saying the King wouldn't take Secret Empire as some personal offense against him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Just saying the King wouldn't take Secret Empire as some personal offense against him.

It depends, I don't think he'd have been too thrilled with Cap being a Nazi.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

There used to be some poster here that would say that he hated Romita jr.'s art, but his argument was that he could draw like that when he was a kid.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Maybe I'm just a sucker for watercolors, but I love what Tyler Jenkins has been doing on Grass Kings.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Looks like he didn't quite finish that last one.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Rhyno posted:

It depends, I don't think he'd have been too thrilled with Cap being a Nazi.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Which is why I said early that Jack probably would be okay with fist being thrown. I love that man's work, his legacy and everything he gave us.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

NorgLyle posted:

Look no further than some of the books that came out right at the end of his life, when Image founders were routinely inking his stuff. In general, they were doing it for noble reasons, but dear lord does that kind of inking not work with someone like Kirby.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

funtax posted:

Look no further than some of the books that came out right at the end of his life, when Image founders were routinely inking his stuff. In general, they were doing it for noble reasons, but dear lord does that kind of inking not work with someone like Kirby.

I don't know, the faces look kind of Paul Pope-esque to me.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

funtax posted:

I don't think the inking is too bad there. McFarlane is a pretty talented guy and I think his style meshes well with Kirby. I'd like to see it without the colors.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Archyduke posted:

I don't know, the faces look kind of Paul Pope-esque to me.

That would be fine if he was inking a Paul Pope comic, I suppose. But it looks absolute dreadful as part of a Kirby piece.

Some others did a better job, but none of them understand Kirby's faces at all, so they just paste a standard 90s-style chewing gum face on top of everyone's neck. There's just a lack of discipline to it all - like they couldn't just let bold lines and shadows carry the pieces, so they kept fussing and scribbling and adding superfluous lines everywhere. The results are busy and confused.

Oddly enough, Liefeld's inks are probably the best of the bunch in terms of not obliterating the Kirbyness of it all (though he somehow STILL manages to make everyone cross-eyed).

Liefeld:

Larsen:

Lee:

funtax fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 18, 2017

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
It reminds me of the old "How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way" book, which addresses this exact problem (over Kirby pencils, as it happens).

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

funtax posted:

(though he somehow STILL manages to make everyone cross-eyed).

To be fair cross-eyes and lazy eyes are pretty common in Kirby's solo work.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

zoux posted:

From a Huffpo clickbait article What if superheroes had more realistic bodies:

That isn't that far off from how Wayne Boring used to draw Supes. Even Curt Swan drew him as more beefy than ripped.

Oh, and everyone should read Master of Kung Fu. It's Doug Moench's love letter to two disparate genres: chopsocky action films and British adventure novels.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

:pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
The Mask :