Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Yeah that's the one!

What's its name-- Ridley (Scott)? (Ellen) Ripley? Coincidence I'm sure

Sir Nose fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sir Nose posted:

Yeah that's the one!

What's its name-- Ridley (Scott)? (Ellen) Ripley? Coincidence I'm sure

OMG just want to lay this all out because I love laying this all out. :D

Alien
The Nostromo is given a priority order to land on and investigate a mysterious planet and encounters a bizarre alien parasite amid the wreckage of a long dead advanced alien race. The whole thing is orchestrated by a director named Ridley.

Metroid
Samus is given a priority order to land on and investigate a mysterious planet and encounters a bizarre alien parasite amid the wreckage of a long dead advanced alien race. The whole thing is orchestrated by a space pirate named Ridley.

Aliens
Ripley returns to LV-426 on a mission to eradicate the Metroid species once and for all. A massive Queen Alien is confronted at the end that requires some creativity to defeat once and for all.

Metroid II: Return of Samus
Samus arrives on SR-388 on a mission to eradicate the Metroid species once and for all. A massive Queen Metroid is confronted at the end that requires some creativity to defeat once and for all.

Alien 3
A single Xenomorph hatchling survives and reaches adulthood. On a grim planet with a plot meant to evoke the isolation and tension of the first film, the alien has an affinity for Ripley, refusing to harm her.

Super Metroid
A single Metroid hatchling survives and reaches adulthood. On a grim planet with a plot meant to evoke the isolation and tension of the first game, the alien has an affinity for Samus, refusing to harm her.

Alien Resurrection
Ripley is resurrected and is now part Xenomorph because having one implanted in her was the cause of her death. She's sort of down with this but also hates that this was done to her and makes sure to crash a USM ship that's become host to a ton of genetically engineered Xenomorph creatures...including a hideous clone of Ripley herself!

Metroid Fusion
Samus is resurrected and is now part Metroid because having one implanted in her was the cause of her near-death. She's sort of down with this but also hates that this was done to her and makes sure to blow up a GF space station that's become host to a ton of genetically engineered Metroid-derived creatures...including a hideous clone of Samus herself!

BUT WHAT'S THIS?!?!?!

Metroid Prime
A prequel where the Xenomorphs aren't the focus at all. Instead, through exploration of the ruins of a long dead empire that spread throughout the galaxy via total mastery of bio-mechanical engineering we piece together both the beliefs of their kind as well as the cause of their downfall. The game ends with a gratuitous appearance of a more primal "Metroid."

Prometheus
A prequel where the Xenomorphs aren't the focus at all. Instead, through exploration of the ruins of a long dead empire that spread throughout the galaxy via total mastery of bio-mechanical engineering we piece together both the beliefs of their kind as well as the cause of their downfall. The film ends with a gratuitous appearance of a more primal "Xenomorph."

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
After a rough almost-crash Samus lands on a once heavily populated world that was devastated by the Ing, protean creatures born out of a black goo that causes the entire planet's ecosystem to change and mutate into a variety of permutations, drastically altering all lifeforms on it. Near the planet's major temple/spiritual center a lone seemingly helpful survivor fills Samus in on the situation. Samus also learns about a previous ship that crash landed on the planet not too long before her arrival, with dire consequences for its human passengers.

Alien: Covenant Act I
After a rough almost-crash the Covenant crew lands on a once heavily populated world that was devastated by the Neomorphs, protean creatures born out of a black goo that causes the entire planet's ecosystem to change and mutate into a variety of permutations, drastically altering all lifeforms on it. Near the planet's major temple/spiritual center a lone seemingly helpful survivor fills them in on the situation. The crew also learns about a previous ship that crash landed on the planet not too long before their arrival, with dire consequences for its human passenger.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
A mysterious returning character that's been around since the beginning sets in motion a plan to replace all sentient life with their own perverse creations by seeding more worlds with mutagenic embryos of their own design.

Alien: Covenant Act II
A mysterious returning character that's been around since the beginning sets in motion a plan to replace all sentient life with their own perverse creations by seeding more worlds with mutagenic embryos of their own design.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 17, 2017

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
You just hosed me up with that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You had to leave out the ending of Echoes to make that work.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Metroid is basically an Alien fanfiction:

Female heroine lands on a planet with an alien species that attaches to your head and kills you, main enemy looks Xeno-ish and is named Ridley, after a confrontation with Mother Brain (MUTHUR) said heroine has to make a mad dash to escape on her ship (which looks like the Nostromo lifeboats) because there's a countdown that's going to blow the whole place up. Female can end up in undies in the end.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

:golfclap:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Female can end up in undies in the end.

Both 2-D.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
what terrible Alien fanfiction inspired Metroid Other M then, huh smart guy?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Pierson posted:

Something Dark Horse, surely.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Pierson posted:

Calling Xenomrph STAT is there an EU comic/whatever about a colonial marine whose family was destroyed by Xenomorphs as a kid and they encounter Xenomorphs later on as an adult?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
The original comic sequel to Aliens (earth hive or whatever) is a grown up newt facing her fears.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Dr. Clockwork posted:

The original comic sequel to Aliens (earth hive or whatever) is a grown up newt facing her fears.

And it's also a weird spinoff story instead of a sequel that follows Metroid's director's "original vision" that had to have a story that fit into new continuity created with the Prime/etc. games. Perfect! It was right under my nose all along. :D Other M features a character in the squad who's a traitor assigned to murder everyone one by one, but due to lovely writing it's literally impossible to work out which character that is/was. Much like how in Earth Hive a large number of continuity issues are brought up with several of the characters turning out to be androids when they clearly weren't meant to be.

Now we just need to fit in Metroid Prime: Hunters and Metroid Prime Pinball.

Hunters - Samus and a bunch of other bounty hunters all go from planet to planet blasting each other and looking for artifacts.
Pinball- Samus rolls around in the inner workings of various computer systems that are armored too heavily to just be blown up/need to be shut down while kept intact.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Neo Rasa posted:

Calling Xenomrph STAT is there an EU comic/whatever about a colonial marine whose family was destroyed by Xenomorphs as a kid and they encounter Xenomorphs later on as an adult?

Alien:Salvation if you're willing to settle for a blonde female priest instead of a marine.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Neo Rasa posted:

And it's also a weird spinoff story instead of a sequel that follows Metroid's director's "original vision" that had to have a story that fit into new continuity created with the Prime/etc. games. Perfect! It was right under my nose all along. :D Other M features a character in the squad who's a traitor assigned to murder everyone one by one, but due to lovely writing it's literally impossible to work out which character that is/was. Much like how in Earth Hive a large number of continuity issues are brought up with several of the characters turning out to be androids when they clearly weren't meant to be.

Now we just need to fit in Metroid Prime: Hunters and Metroid Prime Pinball.

Hunters - Samus and a bunch of other bounty hunters all go from planet to planet blasting each other and looking for artifacts.
Pinball- Samus rolls around in the inner workings of various computer systems that are armored too heavily to just be blown up/need to be shut down while kept intact.

Hunters --> AvP

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Covok posted:

Hunters --> AvP

I'm not willing to be that generous to AvP.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Personally, I'm happy that there is no contrarian backlash from MechaGodzilla and his ilk against criticism of the movie.
Like what happened after Prometheus, that stuff drove me crazy!
I guess people realized that, no, it is just a pseudo-philosophical religious mess of badly-made movies after all.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Monglo posted:

Personally, I'm happy that there is no contrarian backlash from MechaGodzilla and his ilk against criticism of the movie.
I guess people realized that, no, it is just a pseudo-philosophical religious mess of badly-made movies after all.

Sorry but it owned.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Monglo posted:

I like Prometheus and Alien: Covenant a lot.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
It's okay to like a bad movie.
There's a lot of people who love The Room.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Monglo posted:

It's okay to like a bad movie.
There's a lot of people who love The Room.

The Room is a good movie.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Monglo posted:

You forgot to write "hot garbage" or "dumpster fire."

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Neo Rasa posted:

The Room is a good movie.

Ha ha, what a story, Mark!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I really like Alien Covfefe and think it's good.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Monglo posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

What movies would you consider to be genuinely philosophical?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Welp, maybe Neill Blomkamp will get a turn next. On the bright side maybe it will be in red box sooner?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The Vosgian Beast posted:

What movies would you consider to be genuinely philosophical?
Well let me break out my chart of box office numbers...

EDIT:

Tenzarin posted:

Welp, maybe Neill Blomkamp will get a turn next. On the bright side maybe it will be in red box sooner?
Based on Rakka, I'm kinda getting the feeling that Blomkamp is putting a lot of his Alien ideas into this new series.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I love how somehow SMG became the boogie man. Wouldn't mind hearing a fresh opinion.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 18, 2017

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

Alien Covfefe

:vince: Holy poo poo this would be a boss username.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Ersatz posted:

The "Rakka" short that Blomkamp just put out is good.

Thanks for the heads-up on this, I just watched it and it's really good. I think Xeno will particularly enjoy it given his fondness for Aliens: Labyrinth, and it's impressive what Blomkamp was able to craft in a short time frame with a small budget.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm glad he'll never make his lame poo poo fan fiction .
Team dead hicks and Newt forever!

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

The ideal situation would be that Fox goes to Blomkamp and explains that Ridley has well and truly hosed it, then offers him a shot at the franchise on the condition that it's an original story and doesn't attempt to retcon prior films or bring back old characters.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

As long as Ridley can come in after and have David undo everything he did in the previous film, sure.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Why can't the films just stand seperately without having to undo each other or form some cohesive canon?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

SUNKOS posted:

The ideal situation would be that Fox goes to Blomkamp and explains that Ridley has well and truly hosed it, then offers him a shot at the franchise on the condition that it's an original story and doesn't attempt to retcon prior films or bring back old characters.
I'd much rather see Blomkamp turn Rakka into a feature-length film (he's said that he's interested in doing this, if the financials make sense).

A straight Alien(s) film would be kind of tired at this point. I mean, the most boring part of Covenant was the sequence with the alien chasing survivors round on the ship and getting ejected, and we should probably all take the hint.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 18, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
"Perfectly God, he entered the womb through the ear; in all purity the God-Man came forth from the womb into Creation."
-Ephrem the Syrian

The idea being that these dots on the screen, they’re quite insignificant. They’re featureless dots, they don’t really have a silhouette or shape per se [...] but of course to the viewer we get these macro and close-up vantage points where you can clearly see them forming almost a creature silhouette, and that just conveys that there’s something much more intellectual at play here."
-Brendan Seals, visual effects supervisor on Covenant

"Gothic world is not a random world that means you harm. Gothic world has a brain behind it. The gothic world has a mind. [...] There is no random chaos and slaughter in a gothic, from my perspective."
-Neil Gaiman

Hello.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

SUNKOS posted:

When are you going to realize Blomkamp is just a hack who had a one-hit wonder with the help of Peter Jackson?

CelticPredator posted:

As long as Ridley can come in after and have David undo everything he did in the previous film, sure.

You're a boring person if you don't find the idea of an android creating the ultimate bio-weapon against a corporate humanity intriguing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
All of Blomkamp's movies rule. Flawed? Sure. But dope.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

RedSpider posted:

When are you going to realize Blomkamp is just a hack who had a one-hit wonder with the help of Peter Jackson?

When I fall into an alternate reality where Elysium and Chappie didn't kick rear end I guess

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

RedSpider posted:

Elysium and Chappie are miles ahead of District 9 so he must be doing something right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Elysium and Chappie are miles ahead of District 9 so he must be doing something right.

Documented hack Blomkamp himself disagrees with you. He's publicly humiliated himself by saying he 'hosed' both of them up.' (It's why no studio will give him money anymore, BTW.)

Oh, and I look forward to SMG's Covenant review. :D