Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kenzie posted:

This is an ultra violent historical military game, so of course it's gonna attract loads of people with violent, militaristic, fascist ideologies. Milsim and grognard-ish games seem to attract a lot of those types as well, but Red Orchestra is like a perfect game for them. You can play as a nazi and run around killing people and blowing their limbs off. It's not a milsim so you don't have to put much effort into learning to play, and it's not super casual either and has a more or less realistic and authentic feel to it, so you can satisfy your white male rage and nazi bloodlust.

i've played every RO game since the first, i dont ever the casual racism being this obnoxious. i probably just got unlucky and ran across an unfortunate server but also after consideration i think the fact that it's vietnam themed aggravates things - it's much harder for your average american to come up with slurs against russians rather than vietnamese. last night i was playing against a group of dudes who absolutely would not stop chanting "me love you long time". i think i'll just hunt them down and tk them repeatedly

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I think your best bet is to just turn of voice chat, it's that simple. You're really not gonna miss out on much %99 of the time. People are almost never discussing tactics, at worst you'll end up dieing to friendly artillery/napalm more often because you don't hear the commanders warning other than that it's just people trying to one up each other with terrible Engrish.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

boner confessor posted:

i've played every RO game since the first, i dont ever the casual racism being this obnoxious. i probably just got unlucky and ran across an unfortunate server but also after consideration i think the fact that it's vietnam themed aggravates things - it's much harder for your average american to come up with slurs against russians rather than vietnamese. last night i was playing against a group of dudes who absolutely would not stop chanting "me love you long time". i think i'll just hunt them down and tk them repeatedly

Did you play RS1 right when it came out? I remember it being really bad then as well, just because the game was new and fresh and everyone couldn't resist getting their CHING CHONG SHAMEFUL DISPRAY jokes out of the way and whatnot. I imagine that it's the same with RS2. And people do the same stupid stuff with the Americans too by going 'MURICA OORAH and THIS GUN FIRES 400 FREEDOMS PER MINUTE and so on. I can't really get too mad at it though. I haven't seen people do it all that much though, usually just at the beginning and end of a round.

What annoys me are the people who get really angry when their team is losing and then take their frustration out on everyone else, calling them idiots or never shutting up with barking orders at the team. I saw one guy do this and he wouldn't shut up until he got votekicked.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

BTW anyone who huffed at me for asking if Vietnam can use ambush without a radio because they "obviously" don't need one can go gently caress themselves because you definitely do need one. It's probably a bug but I've tested it with and without a radio in the same building and it consistently doesn't work without it.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 17, 2017

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
The only time I start yelling at people to do things is when I'm commander, and then it's only to place markers and watch out for the support I'm going to request. gently caress the assholes that act like assholes because they're losing.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

If someone is saying stuff in in-game voice chat that you don't like then just start ranting about how gay you are and how you've hosed the dude's dad in the anus and drank all of his cum. It's what I do and it works pretty well.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Pesticide20 posted:

The only time I start yelling at people to do things is when I'm commander, and then it's only to place markers and watch out for the support I'm going to request. gently caress the assholes that act like assholes because they're losing.

The ingame chat really needs a rework where command can only talk to squad leaders and the map reflects their positions. If your squad gets wiped because they run into your arty marker thats not really the commanders fault.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Pesticide20 posted:

People don't place squad tunnels and I get extremely angry irl

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Buschmaki posted:

Ask them nice and guilt them into putting one down. That's what I do

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I make my own squad and then have nobody to blame but myself

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
god damnit abu hajaar where is our god damned tunnel???

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Kenzie posted:

What annoys me are the people who get really angry when their team is losing and then take their frustration out on everyone else, calling them idiots or never shutting up with barking orders at the team. I saw one guy do this and he wouldn't shut up until he got votekicked.

I had a good round where our commander was trying to micromanage all of our squads but was using weird milsim terms and names so even if we had wanted to follow his instructions we wouldn't have known what he was talking about. He slowly melted down over the course of the round and it was great.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
The best thing is when you win a round as VC and everyone converges on the last point and has a big ak party, iraqi wedding style :toot:

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Did Battlefield Vietnam have this same sort of problem?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Did Battlefield Vietnam have this same sort of problem?

I don't really remember it being the case. Also BF: Vietnam didn't have voice chat on for everyone by default if I remember correctly.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
You can turn voice chat off but still yell at people, you just can't hear what they say back.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Buschmaki posted:

I was on songbe as VN had this exact experience when their choppers just cleaned up everyone's tunnels and the entire VN team gave up and was camping the B/D LZs.

I ended up getting a monster kill just before the end of the round when even the huey pilots got out and were running around in crowds looking for the VN team.

We followed this up with teamstacking onto the VN team on hue (this took a while due to the third team problem) and getting rickrolled there too, though that was in part due to a CIA agent taking commander :negative:

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator

Symetrique posted:

Hm, someone found a new bug. Apparently, you get a decent amount of bonus points if you stand near your commander at the end of the round. Just ask gay.satan about it.

:bigtran:

Commandante
Oct 1, 2009

From a few nights ago.

https://streamable.com/z8kew

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Action Jackson went on to kill the rest of your team after his sick combat roll off the building.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

I swear the people in this and the BF1 thread are the biggest babbies about some people occasionally having fun by being a mong in the chat.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Dvsilverwing posted:

I swear the people in this and the BF1 thread are the biggest babbies about some people occasionally having fun by being a mong in the chat.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

If someone is saying stuff in in-game voice chat that you don't like then just start ranting about how gay you are and how you've hosed the dude's dad in the anus and drank all of his cum. It's what I do and it works pretty well.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dvsilverwing posted:

I don't even run into it that much, but it gets pretty tiring when there's some shitheels being bigots for like a dozen rounds in a row :shrug:

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator

DoctorStrangelove posted:

yeah but the difference is we know it's true and you're using the ironic gay movement to cover your unironic gay shenanigans

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Dvsilverwing posted:

Man who doesn't see the problem with racism directed at Asians uses racial slur towards Asians in his exasperation.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
I thougt nong was against asians, and mong was mongaloid.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Mongoloid is an offensive term, it's even listed under that on dictionary.com

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Indeed it is. :tipshat:

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
There's also the Hmong people: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hmong_people

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I see custom maps have started showing up on servers :)

Anywho, patch tomorrow.

Reminder of the changes

http://steamcommunity.com/games/418460/announcements/detail/2072067834392318057

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 19, 2017

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

quote:

Reduced friendly fire penalties for commanders

Oh no

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Thankfully they are addressing the audio bug of player scream radius being too small. I need more blood-curdling screaming!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

As long as its not a huge reduction I think its a good change. Its frustrating to give people warning then get stuck with a 1.30+ min spawn delay because of over aggressive players who get themselves killed and blame you that they don't have voice chat enabled.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mega Comrade posted:

As long as its not a huge reduction I think its a good change. Its frustrating to give people warning then get stuck with a 1.30+ min spawn delay because of over aggressive players who get themselves killed and blame you that they don't have voice chat enabled.

I mean there's already a pretty big delay between the artillery being called in and when the barrage actually begins, so reducing the TK penalty is a nice addition as people are usually team killed by artillery because one or both parties involved are idiots. If the commander is the one loving up he's probably still going to get a long respawn timer from killing so many friendlies, but if it's people not paying attention to the artillery marker and running into it the commander will be punished less.

I think that the TK forgive option should pop up like a votekick or map change, though. I usually don't realize that I've been team killed or don't remember that it's an option.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

turn off the TV posted:

I think that the TK forgive option should pop up like a votekick or map change, though. I usually don't realize that I've been team killed or don't remember that it's an option.

Yes, at the moment it gets hidden by the respawn map (as does the chat). Having it be more pronounced would help a lot i think.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
You are out of your mind if you think I'm enabling voice chat in this game.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mega Comrade posted:

I see custom maps have started showing up on servers :)

Anywho, patch tomorrow.

Reminder of the changes

http://steamcommunity.com/games/418460/announcements/detail/2072067834392318057

Ah yes, custom maps. The classic "bunch of random arms and dogs and you only get a shotgun" and "a bunker in a totally flat open field". Truly classics for the ages.

The only 60hz server I know of just loves these maps!

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Glenn Quebec posted:

You are out of your mind if you think I'm enabling voice chat in this game.

Yeah I'm starting to think I should just disable it entirely as well. I've seen some people actually try to talk to their squad and coordinate, but usually it's just bullshit and I would rather it be quiet so I can be more aware of my surroundings and hear footsteps more easily and so on.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kenzie posted:

Yeah I'm starting to think I should just disable it entirely as well. I've seen some people actually try to talk to their squad and coordinate, but usually it's just bullshit and I would rather it be quiet so I can be more aware of my surroundings and hear footsteps more easily and so on.

I have played a lot of hours (around level 30 now) and I have never once had anything useful said on VOIP. Sometimes commander asks for a thing here or there but if you've played a lot it's really obvious where marks need to be and you don't need to talk about this.

I'm hoping to get my friends to play so we can coordinate but that'd be discord...

I just drown out the peoples dumbass voices with my vietnam playlist so it's just kinda background noise anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

One time some tacticool types ordered everyone to rush B at the start of Hue City and it worked, we won the map. But all of my other time in game has been teens and rednecks screaming racial slurs.

• Locked thread