Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Nissan made one of the worst concepts into reality with their stupid FWD car.

Honda is absolute garbage.

Toyota is forever cursed.

Subaru doesn't even do anything anymore.

Mitsubishi has been on the verge of bankruptcy/bankrupt for almost 10 years now.

Mazda might as well not even exist.

Japan is in a sad, sad place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

If only toyota made a nice reliable and fuel efficent rotary engine for Lemans.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I can arrange that

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Please do it. He is my spirit animal.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

1500quidporsche posted:

Please do it. He is my spirit animal.

Done.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Much appreciated.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
:japan:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_lmacEmy78

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

Mitsubishi has been on the verge of bankruptcy/bankrupt for almost 10 years now.

Yamaha and Kawasaki doing well in MotoGP and WSBK respectively. Even Honda in MotoGP.

Two wheel racing would be a joke without Japanese brands.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Whitey Ford posted:

Yamaha and Kawasaki doing well in MotoGP and WSBK respectively. Even Honda in MotoGP.

Two wheel racing would be a joke without Japanese brands.

Honda kinda loving up in MotoGP lately too, though. Lucky they have Marquez, who's the only one that can deal with their bike on it's bad days.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Don't know about that. I get the feeling Marquez just isn't liking the latest development in the tyres more than anything else.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Carth Dookie posted:

Don't know about that. I get the feeling Marquez just isn't liking the latest development in the tyres more than anything else.

Well, I was referencing their problems with acceleration and all the engine development they've gone through to little effect compared to the other factories.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Toyota are having a pretty decent return to WRC, it has to be said.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
Are the Japanese punishing us westerners for something we have done? I thought we'd always got on quite well (since 1945 any way)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

Nissan's GT3 car is good and I think they're still in V8s as well?

Toyota doing well in NASCAR and back in WRC

Mazda having early issues with the DPi but still out there, and also sponsor the entire American open wheel development ladder

Mitsubishi is kind of a joke and Subaru needs to come back to rallying (their Super GT car keeps that spirit alive though!) but yeah.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Toyota are having a pretty decent return to WRC, it has to be said.

WRC :smith:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

It's not bad this year, but the rallies are still way too short.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
There's a legit chance that an LMP2 car could win the 24 overall. gently caress me, maybe this hybrid shite's not all that after all.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

If you haven't been, you NEED to tune into Le Mans now. The last 2.5 hours left and it's a chase-down from a P1 trying to catch a P2!

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

harperdc posted:

If you haven't been, you NEED to tune into Le Mans now. The last 2.5 hours left and it's a chase-down from a P1 trying to catch a P2!

Live on ITV4 for brits

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/130222/sauber-f1-has-become-too-technical gently caress off Sauber

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Toto throws Nico some serious shade (i believe the kids are calling it these days?)

Nico Rosberg: The Vicious One

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-4611948/Nico-Rosberg-vicious-one-clashes-Hamilton.html

e:fb

Kilmers Elbow fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 18, 2017

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

LMP2 team just successfully fixed a stuck starter motor by hitting it with a hammer.

I hope they're carrying raw eggs in the car just in case of a radiator leak.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Toto throws Nico some serious shade (i believe the kids are calling it these days?)

Nico Rosberg: The Vicious One

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-4611948/Nico-Rosberg-vicious-one-clashes-Hamilton.html

e:fb

Beign a better driver: the ultimate mind game

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Whitey Ford posted:

LMP2 team just successfully fixed a stuck starter motor by hitting it with a hammer.

Jeremy Clarkson has to be their chief engineer

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Whitey Ford posted:

Endurance racing is grossly underappreciated.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

With 23 of the 24 hours completed only 11 of the 60 odd cars have retired.. too bad they're all LMP1 :dance:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

Endurance racing is grossly underappreciated.

Also, even for a modern prototype car, a starter motor's still just a starter motor. Fix it with a hammer on an old American yacht or a carbon fiber prototype :haw:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

harperdc posted:

Also, even for a modern prototype car, a starter motor's still just a starter motor.
I thought that wasn't true, I assumed they had multipurpose stator systems like Priuses and some old motorcycles where the starter/alternator is the same coil of wire.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Maybe on the LMP1s, but I assumed the rest of them it's just easier to fit a starter. It's probably the lightest/shittiest one though. I dunno how on earth you make a starter last less than 24 hours.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Maybe on the LMP1s, but I assumed the rest of them it's just easier to fit a starter. It's probably the lightest/shittiest one though. I dunno how on earth you make a starter last less than 24 hours.

You begin by making it as light and small as possible then jam it somewhere full of heat and vibration then compromise the unit by taking more weight off it and keep making it smaller.

Then try and use it 20 times in race conditions.

But then none of it matters when you have an access panel to enable your crew to belt it with a hammer.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
This GT Pro battle is loving unreal.

Oh that's unfortunate for the Corvette.

monkeytennis fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jun 18, 2017

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I watched a lot of LM24 this year. Is it supposed to be exiting? because it isn't. Wow some bad gt cars in a class noone gives a poo poo about had a slight battle after 24 hours. Truly the jewel in the motor racing crown.

Actually it is a jewel in the Crown in the way that monaco is a jewel in the Crown. Namely: it used to be good I guess and now skirts by on nostalgia and "tradition" while being dull as dishwater in reality.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

What a crazy Le Mans 24hr, those GTE Pro final laps..

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

NtotheTC posted:

I watched a lot of LM24 this year. Is it supposed to be exiting? because it isn't. Wow some bad gt cars in a class noone gives a poo poo about had a slight battle after 24 hours. Truly the jewel in the motor racing crown.

Top Fuel drag racing is something you should look into, hth

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

NtotheTC posted:

Actually it is a jewel in the Crown in the way that monaco is a jewel in the Crown. Namely: it used to be good I guess and now skirts by on nostalgia and "tradition" while being dull as dishwater in reality.

:allears:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

NtotheTC posted:

Mods?

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Le Mans is the test match cricket of motorsport

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Am I correct in thinking the #9 driver hosed Toyota out of a win by rushing back to the pits and destroying the rear end? The #2 was nowhere near them at the time iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

1500quidporsche posted:

Am I correct in thinking the #9 driver hosed Toyota out of a win by rushing back to the pits and destroying the rear end? The #2 was nowhere near them at the time iirc.

I believe it was stuck in 5th gear, so he physically couldn't come back slow enough to stop the tyre flailing.

The accident that caused the damage was entirely his fault though so you are right in a roundabout way

• Locked thread