Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Mr. Nice! posted:

USS Fitzgerald crashed into a merchant ship.

U.S. Navy Destroyer Collides With Merchant Vessel Off Coast Of Japan

At least this one ran into another ship, and not the entire nation of Japan like the Antietam did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Never having transited Yokosuka personally can anyone confirm that 50 miles south is out of the area where you've got narrow channels to worry about, but may still have a maneuvering watch stationed due to level of traffic. On a map it looks like the area in question is IVO that little horn

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 17, 2017

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

U.S. Navy Destroyer Collides With Merchant Vessel Off Coast Of Japan

At least this one ran into another ship, and not the entire nation of Japan like the Antietam did.

Sounds like a few are missing...

They'll need a SME brought in to help find them;

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Catch Me If You Can 2

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

M_Gargantua posted:

Never having transited Yokosuka personally Dan anyone confirm that 50 miles south is out of the area where you've got narrow channels to worry about, but may still have a maneuvering watch stationed due to level of traffic. On a map it looks like the area in question is IVO that little horn

I have been through that area and it is very heavy with shipping. My boat was nearly run over a few times in that area.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
I've stood a lot of OOD in Sagami Wan. Part of the challenge is increased background lighting and merchants who get there early loitering while waiting for their pilot time. Weather can also be bad, especially during the rainy season which is now.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Jesus christ. What time did the collision happen? As a person who slept in berthing 2 I can't image how hosed up this is.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ded posted:

I have been through that area and it is very heavy with shipping. My boat was nearly run over a few times in that area.

Transiting shipping lanes to port on the surface at night in a submarine is pretty much the last thing I'd ever want to do at sea.

Except maybe shark cage diving.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Jesus christ. What time did the collision happen? As a person who slept in berthing 2 I can't image how hosed up this is.

2:30am local time.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

MrYenko posted:

Transiting shipping lanes to port on the surface at night in a submarine is pretty much the last thing I'd ever want to do at sea.

Except maybe shark cage diving.

One of those times was the only time I both heard the skipper call for ahead flank on the surface AND the helmsman caught a reversed rudder call and gave the skipper a polite 'say again sir?' which he caught and gave the proper call. It would have ended up turning us directly into a supersized container ship.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
So, I was on the collision yesterday. I am the FITZ DCA. I'll put that out there now for everyone. I don't care.

The collision happened around 0130. I remember looking at my watch when I felt the ship do a strange maneuver. It woke me up.

I know that basic damage control saved my ship yesterday. We battled to keep her stable for 19 hours. The first 8 were the worst and fastest of my life.

If you guys have questions, I will answer what I can within the guidelines I have.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

The Valley Stared posted:

So, I was on the collision yesterday. I am the FITZ DCA. I'll put that out there now for everyone. I don't care.

The collision happened around 0130. I remember looking at my watch when I felt the ship do a strange maneuver. It woke me up.

I know that basic damage control saved my ship yesterday. We battled to keep her stable for 19 hours. The first 8 were the worst and fastest of my life.

If you guys have questions, I will answer what I can within the guidelines I have.

I have a ton, but I won't ask them.

What I will say though is that if you haven't started to make a detailed written account of what happened, you need to stop what you're doing and start that right now.

The lessons learned will be invaluable down the road.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

ManMythLegend posted:

I have a ton, but I won't ask them.

What I will say though is that if you haven't started to make a detailed written account of what happened, you need to stop what you're doing and start that right now.

The lessons learned will be invaluable down the road.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Document as if your career depends on it. And possibly others in the future.

Once everything settles down in a few weeks if you wanna share a more personal account I'd love to hear it.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

2:30am local time.

God drat. Sorry enlisted.

I can only imagine the GQ for this. As an STG my GQ spot was in the equipment room next to sonar control. Thank those dudes in the nearest fire locker.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dude good job doing what you did to help save that ship. No loving joke. You got jolted awake to a DCA's worst loving nightmare and saved the ship.

I feel for you and all your guys. I wouldn't want anyone to have to go through that poo poo.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

What was your first call when you realized what happened?

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Yesterday, everyone on board was a DCmen. I know that you heard that all the time from DC schools, but it is the god drat truth.

For the love of god, to everyone here: Take damage control drills seriously. We recently had a drill for Repair 2 with flooding in Berthing 2. It went terrible. We chewed the guys out and made them go back down to train on the equipment and what they did wrong.

But I think it's things like that that save my ship. Every Wednesday and Friday are DC drill days. They knew how to use the equipment. They knew how to isolate. The crew is used to hearing me over the 1MC.

The Valley Stared fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 18, 2017

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

What was your first call when you realized what happened?

My first call? I grabbed the 1MC and said set general quarters. after taking control. Going down to CCS I was yelling down and aft port up and forward starboard because people were going against the flow in confusion. I also yelled that if people didn't have a repair locker to go to the messdecks.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
It might be best if you limited greatly what you write about the incident here. Never know where a JAG investigation will go.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

My first call? I grabbed the 1MC and said set general quarters. after taking control. Going down to CCS I was yelling down and aft port up and forward starboard because people were going against the flow in confusion. I also yelled that if people didn't have a repair locker to go to the messdecks.

I'm really interested in how you dealt with all the initial stages. Like 99% of sailors, major collision at sea is not something I've ever experienced and I've never been in a DC drill scenario of that situation. I honestly have no idea what the procedures would be.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

ded posted:

It might be best if you limited greatly what you write about the incident here. Never know where a JAG investigation will go.

Roger. I'll go back and edit them. Thank you.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I don't want some jackass to take something you write and twist it into bullshit that gets someone into trouble. You did a great job saving the ship.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

Dude good job doing what you did to help save that ship. No loving joke. You got jolted awake to a DCA's worst loving nightmare and saved the ship.

I feel for you and all your guys. I wouldn't want anyone to have to go through that poo poo.

Pretty much this. And what other goons have said. You guys (and girls) are going through hell, hope everyone's all right in the long run.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
I appreciate it. I'm still processing a lot of it, and knowing that this place is filled with Navy sailors made me a little too comfortable. The information that I posted is consistent with the news, except for the time.

I'll praise my sailors for their damage control abilities, but I'm not going to talk about the damage publicly at this time, nor anything involving the time leading to the collision.

I've already talked with my best friend and my mentor, both former DCAs so I was able to speak with them more thoroughly on the damage and what we did.

But if you know anyone on the ship, get in touch with them, even if it's just to say you're thinking about them. I know that there will be lots of "Well look at where the damage hit!" posts and armchair OODs, but please, tell people you're thinking about them. It means more than you will ever know.

Seeing the crowd on the pier when we got back was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. Being told that we had support and that others were standing by for us made me realize that we weren't alone.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm guilty as gently caress about armchair OODing and all, but seriously still good job doing what you did. You handled yourself well, and I'm glad that you're out there to do it. You saved lives.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm sorry TVS. Just know that you guys are on our minds.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Jesus, hell of a job saving that ship. And from the pictures, she came into harbor with far less of a list and riding much higher than the initial images/video.

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013
http://www.c7f.navy.mil/Media/News/Display/Article/1217825/uss-fitzgerald-collision-update-1033am-jst-june-18-2017/#.WUXZvwAnLVQ.facebook

gently caress.

Also, TVS, regardless of the social media experts that will crawl out of the woodwork, you guys did one hell of a job keeping the damage to the ship contained.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
As a former LPD DCA, I salute you. If you feel comfortable saying, how far below waterline was the damage and how much did you list?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

I appreciate it. I'm still processing a lot of it, and knowing that this place is filled with Navy sailors made me a little too comfortable. The information that I posted is consistent with the news, except for the time.

I'll praise my sailors for their damage control abilities, but I'm not going to talk about the damage publicly at this time, nor anything involving the time leading to the collision.

I've already talked with my best friend and my mentor, both former DCAs so I was able to speak with them more thoroughly on the damage and what we did.

But if you know anyone on the ship, get in touch with them, even if it's just to say you're thinking about them. I know that there will be lots of "Well look at where the damage hit!" posts and armchair OODs, but please, tell people you're thinking about them. It means more than you will ever know.

Seeing the crowd on the pier when we got back was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. Being told that we had support and that others were standing by for us made me realize that we weren't alone.

Just saw the news that confirmed that 7 Sailors were killed. I've lost a few friends in Navy in aviation mishaps and it really sucks. Take some solace in the fact that by the looks of it you and the crew did an amazing job of keeping that ship going. Yes, there will be a lot of Monday morning quarterbacking. Do your best to ignore it. Condolences to you and the crew.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Good job dude. No matter why it happened you guys did what was needed. I hope some day you teach what you learned.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Just echoing some sentiments in here about how most of this should be redacted off this page.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I don't know anything about naval OPSEC so can someone confirm everything needing to be redacted has been?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Zeris posted:

I don't know anything about naval OPSEC so can someone confirm everything needing to be redacted has been?

Looks ok to me.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Echoing sentiments

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013

Zeris posted:

Everything posted so far has already been released to major media outlets.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Your people averted an even worse outcome, thank you for your work

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Again, thank you all for the thoughts.

At this time, I won't post about the extent of the damage. Is it bad? Yes. Will there be courses and interviews about this? Yes, and once that is out and released, you'll get more first hand accounts.

I am glad that we were able to account for all of our sailors. Thank you Chuckle for posting the link as I hadn't seen that yet.

I'm working on my write up now. I'll probably be doing that for the next few hours. My internal clock is all sorts of messed up now and it will be something to work on.

It's a strange thought knowing that you are about to be a case study in both Damage control and how and why it works when it works well, and a case study for what went wrong and why you should be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Just echoing the sentiment that you all did a hell of a job saving the ship and averting further catastrophe. Don't let Monday morning quarterbacks or dumbass edgelords get inside your head.