Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I hope Roy's sword is OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DoctorTristan posted:

I think this might have been the writer liking the characters far more than any of the readers did.

Yep.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I also think you'll be able to read the entire mutiny in less than 5 minutes when you have the collected book, so you wouldn't notice if you weren't waiting a week or more between updates.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Eifert Posting posted:

I hope Roy's sword is OK.

It shoots green magic, it's pretty cool

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Phenotype posted:

I also think you'll be able to read the entire mutiny in less than 5 minutes when you have the collected book, so you wouldn't notice if you weren't waiting a week or more between updates.
Honestly, yeah. Most of the arcs that drag when read serially flow just fine in print.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

"It reads better all at once" is only half a defense for a serial medium. TV writers absolutely take into account whether their show is going to be aired once a week or dropped all at once on Netflix when planning a season, even if further down the line people can binge both.

I think part of what might have rubbed people the wrong way about the airship/mutiny arc is that it looked like a setup for the Order losing the airship as a source of transport, complete with theories about who they might meet or how it could tie into other stories, so it kind of felt like we were just waiting for that to happen - and when it didn't happen, then the question becomes "well what was the point of all that?"

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Dolash posted:

"It reads better all at once" is only half a defense for a serial medium. TV writers absolutely take into account whether their show is going to be aired once a week or dropped all at once on Netflix when planning a season, even if further down the line people can binge both.

I think part of what might have rubbed people the wrong way about the airship/mutiny arc is that it looked like a setup for the Order losing the airship as a source of transport, complete with theories about who they might meet or how it could tie into other stories, so it kind of felt like we were just waiting for that to happen - and when it didn't happen, then the question becomes "well what was the point of all that?"

The journey is more important than the destination

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rygar201 posted:

The journey is more important than the destination
Unless you're on a plane.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm just not seeing the overwhelming and exhausting levels of negativity about the airship plot in this thread that barely even gets posted in that others apparently are idk. I mean I don't really care for the current plot line and I guess some people don't either but so what?

I mean if this were turning into this thread I suppose I'd understand...

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Honestly, I think the whole thing would've been fine if the comics had been coming at their usual pace. For me, it's just that the arc got dragged out by the slow update speed.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I would have liked it more if Andi had been allowed to be anything other than utterly wrong, petty and incompetent and then put neatly in her place. That just doesn't make for a compelling antagonist, and yet at the same time the humor was falling flat so for me it didn't work on any level.

Someone else brought it up not too long ago, but originally she had a believable motivation--a vampire had been let on board and now crewmembers were being killed--but it turned out instead of being 'NPC perspectives of the terrifying assholes that are PCs and the insane things they get up to' the entire thing was just about some petty and personal feelings she had towards Bandanna instead.

Anyway, I had to laugh at Roy's reaction, and I'm fine with it being left ambiguous whether it was a a meta joke or just Roy being Roy toward an NPC. (Though if there were players involved this would've been an entirely believable reaction to the end of a multi-hour session the DM had spent rolling dice and talking to himself in funny voices...)

Now it's just the matter of getting the party back together, which I've been assuming they'll do with a minimum of fuss to showcase how they've grown since the last time they got split up.

Bandanna I'm assuming won't mind going back for Haley and the rest, which is almost too bad because I would have laughed if what happened next was her telling everyone to screw off and just dumping them somewhere when Roy is like 'well that's great I'm glad you resolved your whatever but I need you to turn this ship around now and go back to help me find my sword'

Zoe fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 17, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Zoe posted:

Now it's just the matter of getting the party back together, which I've been assuming they'll do with a minimum of fuss to showcase how they've grown since the last time they got split up.

If I had to guess, I'd say this isn't going to happen. They're all in a rush to stop Duncan before poo poo happens, and Haley, V, and Belkar are high level PCs that can take care of themselves.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Yeah, my money is on the airship continuing on without the other half of the party. Haley certainly has a wand with Sending, and can coordinate with Roy. Roy will have to arrive at the dwarfs clan meeting or whatever defenseless, having to use wits and Elan to solve the problem instead of force. I would only be a little disappointed if this prediction turns out to be true because splitting the party to create tension has already been used in the story several times

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

A friend of mine really likes Bandanna. I ask why and she won't explain. To me she just seems like a kind of generic lieutenant type character, who's authoritative but also cares for the troops/crew and who Knows What's Best, but doesn't really have any other distinguishing characteristics. Like, it's obvious Rich wants to add her into the main cast, but she doesn't really fill a slot in the party dynamic, and isn't especially engaging as a stand alone character. So to me she just kind of feels "there".

Andi on the other hand I really liked, and wouldn't mind seeing more of, if only to watch her leap from one horrible decision to the next. I kind of like that some NPC was just going "gently caress this you all are insane" then fleeing from the PC drama, leaving them in a horrible spot because they completely ignored the feelings of the people who didn't matter.

Also I think that just because Bandana believes Andi's reason for doing all this is based on being annoyed with an 8 year old doesn't mean it's true. All the other crew members were willing to go along with this mutiny after all. They all through this was a stupid, dangerous, pointless risk and weren't satisfied with Bandanna's reasons for why they ought to continue either.

For a while I thought that this whole mutiny arc was going to be how Bandanna got removed from the ship. Like, the NPCs would somehow eventually wind up at the dwarf gate or where ever they're going, then they'd just put the still tied up Bandanna off the ship and fly away to go be pirates again. Or maybe she'd just decide it was impossible to trust them ever again and leave of her own volition. She'd then join up with the OotS on a permanent basis.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
If my completely made up system of Rich Comic Analysis is true this is all gonna be peachy in about three months.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

reignofevil posted:

If my completely made up system of Rich Comic Analysis is true this is all gonna be peachy in about three months.

I dunno man, I feel like 4, maybe 6 comics isn't enough to fix whatever's going on here

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I think it's just a perfect storm of the schedule slips and the NPC storyline not being that engaging (and seemingly having no long term repercussions, unless the next issue opens with Bandana hanging her crewmates for mutiny). I remember not being that interested in the bounty hunter storyline when Roy & Belkar were captured, but the pace made up for it (as we just came off a big end of book break). We should all just be happy that the free series we all enjoy is over its bad patch and seems like it is getting back on track.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
lets have an entire twenty page arc about the demon roaches.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

Motherfucker posted:

lets have an entire twenty page arc about the demon roaches.

I know you mean this ironically, but those characters are the heart and soul of the comic.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Ultimately the problem is that Rich wanted some inter-party drama but he'd written himself into a corner with the main cast. Roy died and learned humility. Elan confronted his dad and gre more confident and competent. Haley learned to overcome her trust issues and really love. Vaarsuvius learned about the value of teamwork and self-control. Even Belkar learned to fake character growth to ingratiate himself into the party. The only wild card, Durkula, has become the mid-boss of the book and isn't around to stir the pot.

In short, it wouldn't make much sense for the PCs to suddenly be back at each other's throats again.

Therefore to get the drama Rich had to turn to the crew of the Mechane to do it instead. Except that he hadn't really put in the early work to make us care about these new characters enough when they came apart and started taking shots at one another.

Granted the glacial update speed hurts as well and this likely will read better in the book, but to my mind the big problem is that we don't know these characters well enough to care about their struggles, and it doesn't seem like it'd work to do the same plotline with the Order proper.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I think, again, you guys are blowing out of proportion how long this little detour has lasted because of the abnormally slow pace of the updates. You can talk about how it's the journey and not the destination, but the speed of the journey has been ridiculously slow that it's hard to judge what a "normal" pace would feel like. When you're not waiting literally weeks for each page, this is going to be a five minute subplot that sets up the return of Bandana later on as someone that we've seen can keep her head under pressure (or something), and the story will be better off for having spent five minutes giving us some real experience with the character.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

So there's this phenomenon in comic books called "writing for the trade". That is, writing four to six issues so that it works best when read as a trade paperback, rather than as the monthly issues. It often leads to unsatisfying individual issues, regardless of how well it works when collected into a single unit months or years down the line.

The problem with writing for the trade is that you're robbing Peter to pay Paul. A comic run that sells badly because it's poorly paced as a monthly comic gets canceled. Occasionally it gets canceled before the initial four to six issue run is completed in which case it'll never get that trade paperback version it was being written for. Other times it'll get the chop right after those first few issues in which case probably a trade will be made, but you've lost the opportunity to do more than just the one.

So what's that gotta do with OotS? Well the business model is rather different, in that Rich has always said that the books are what he makes all his money selling and the free comic is just a way to get people to buy the books. Fair enough. And yes, some of the pacing issues are beyond Rich's control between his health issues and having to divert effort to Kickstarter rewards that are still ongoing.

But riddle me this. How many book sales has Rich lost because people who used to read online have given up on the strip? How less enthusiastic, and thus less likely to pony up $30 to buy the next book, are the fans who remain?

How much damage has been done to the OotS brand?

And how much of it could have been prevented if the strips were better structured for the (more or less) weekly publishing schedule he's on, rather than just saying "oh, it'll read better in the book?" Because yeah, it probably will read better in the book, but how many fewer people WILL read it that way because the online version is suffering?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

lol

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Seriously Rich has been doing fine for over a decade; why would this be a problem now?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Raenir Salazar posted:

Seriously Rich has been doing fine for over a decade; why would this be a problem now?

but is he okay :ohdear:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Raenir Salazar posted:

I mean it seems a little questionable or at least unusual from a business standpoint for someone who depends on their webcomic to generate income to flat out tell the fans of said webcomic 'you are my lowest priority', but there's really no way to tell if/how that or anything else would effect sales in the long run. It's not really possible to judge reactions among the larger fanbase by looking at the more fanatical ones on the main forums.

But everyone, Rich included, will be much happier once the Kickstarter stuff is finished, and there's nothing that can be done about that in the meantime but wait it out while hoping Rich is okay.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The most recent Kickstarter story is phenomenal and imo should buy Rich goodwill for a long, long time. It's 90 pages long and really well crafted, that's an impressive achievement.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I wouldn't know since Rich won't let me buy it :argh:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Galvanik posted:

I wouldn't know since Rich won't let me buy it :argh:

same :argh:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

lol if you didn't blindly contribute to one of the first kickstarters ever

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

jng2058 posted:

So there's this phenomenon in comic books called "writing for the trade". That is, writing four to six issues so that it works best when read as a trade paperback, rather than as the monthly issues. It often leads to unsatisfying individual issues, regardless of how well it works when collected into a single unit months or years down the line.

The problem with writing for the trade is that you're robbing Peter to pay Paul. A comic run that sells badly because it's poorly paced as a monthly comic gets canceled. Occasionally it gets canceled before the initial four to six issue run is completed in which case it'll never get that trade paperback version it was being written for. Other times it'll get the chop right after those first few issues in which case probably a trade will be made, but you've lost the opportunity to do more than just the one.

So what's that gotta do with OotS? Well the business model is rather different, in that Rich has always said that the books are what he makes all his money selling and the free comic is just a way to get people to buy the books. Fair enough. And yes, some of the pacing issues are beyond Rich's control between his health issues and having to divert effort to Kickstarter rewards that are still ongoing.

But riddle me this. How many book sales has Rich lost because people who used to read online have given up on the strip? How less enthusiastic, and thus less likely to pony up $30 to buy the next book, are the fans who remain?

How much damage has been done to the OotS brand?

And how much of it could have been prevented if the strips were better structured for the (more or less) weekly publishing schedule he's on, rather than just saying "oh, it'll read better in the book?" Because yeah, it probably will read better in the book, but how many fewer people WILL read it that way because the online version is suffering?

Lmao

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

lol if you didn't blindly contribute to one of the first kickstarters ever

Barkley 2 is going to be great, but I don't know what that has to do with OOTS.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

I can't speak for anyone else but I stopped reading OotS years ago during the desert arc with Elian's father because the updates were coming too slow. I started reading again January of this year and dropped it again for the same reason. That zeppelin is like Berserk's boat ride to the fairy realm, it's just never going to end. This isn't an attack on anyone, it's just a reflection of reality.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
The Order of the Stick: He's doing fine but is he okay?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I gave to the oots kickstarter because I wanted to give Rich some money. Worked pretty well.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Schwarzwald posted:

Barkley 2 is going to be great, but I don't know what that has to do with OOTS.

man that was like a year later

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Eifert Posting posted:

I gave to the oots kickstarter because I wanted to give Rich some money. Worked pretty well.

I was thinking the same. Kickstarter for me was a way to help out creators who's work I already enjoyed and maybe also get something cool for it. Even if it didn't work out, I wouldn't have regretted giving Rich money.

I just wish he didn't end up creating so much extra work for himself. He still has so much to do to finish fulfilling this kickstarter.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

OOTS was the third Kickstarter I contributed to.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Endless Mike posted:

OOTS was the third Kickstarter I contributed to.

OOTS was the first Kickstarter I contributed to and one of three I don't on some level regret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Most of the ones I've contributed to have worked out, though I no longer contribute to video game ones.