Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
What's that guy's name anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ted Turbofrown

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Grump Gazoo.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS

orange juche posted:

Its loving breakfast time in france.

It was 5 am in france, I was, and still am very hungry. I'm an hour behind race time

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

itsjustdrew posted:

It was 5 am in france, I was, and still am very hungry. I'm an hour behind race time

Go get something to eat then :mad:

jacteh
Jul 10, 2007
Holy poo poo, late to the party here, but I've just tuned in to see the P1 dramas.

Also, a mate of mine that I worked with in v8 supercars ditched his race engineering job at Nissan here to head to europe a few months ago. He's now the data guy for the #38 car. He's one porsche retirement away from Bradburying a le mans win here.

Is anyone in irc anywhere?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

we use discord now, check the op

e: wait i guess it isn't there, huh

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 18, 2017

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Not really in IRC some commentary in #f1 I think there's a super secret discord of a bunch of Americans and then this thread.

Your buddy owns and is living the life tell him Wirth1000 is proud and will always be proud of him.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
By using discord you'll deprive yourself of hilarious jokes like that London fire tower being referred to as a gp2 apartment block :discourse:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
What a magnificent event. Camping at the Porsche Curves, have been here since Thursday. We set off at 11pm to circumnavigate the circuit before sunrise, which we just managed. Watching the cars accelerate out of Mulsanne Corner when it's pitch black was surreal.

It's also super-hot. Not quite WEC @ COTA heat (yet) but not far off. Can't say I have a good handle on what's happened in the race but that seems incidental because we're having such a good time.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

drgitlin posted:

What a magnificent event. Camping at the Porsche Curves, have been here since Thursday. We set off at 11pm to circumnavigate the circuit before sunrise, which we just managed. Watching the cars accelerate out of Mulsanne Corner when it's pitch black was surreal.

It's also super-hot. Not quite WEC @ COTA heat (yet) but not far off. Can't say I have a good handle on what's happened in the race but that seems incidental because we're having such a good time.

You better upload pictures for those of us who don't have a cool as gently caress job like you <:mad:>

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drgitlin posted:

I'm guessing it's cooler because I'm also guessing it's not quite Texas Humid.

a great GTE Pro battle, the usual shenanigans from P2 non-pros and GTE Ams, and I'm sure you've counted and realized only one Toyota is still out there. The more recent :smith: news is the 31 Rebellion having problems, the 13 is still 2nd in class / 3rd overall.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

yeah this gte pro race is baller as gently caress

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

orange juche posted:

You better upload pictures for those of us who don't have a cool as gently caress job like you <:mad:>

This time I'm not here for work! Camping with some friends from the UK, didn't bother getting a credential or even a paddock pass (which annoyingly for someone used to IMSA races isn't part of a GA ticket). I think the fact that I haven't had to be thinking about work and haven't had to run around the paddock to talk to people is part of why I'm having so much fun. It is a proper summer holiday. :rms:

Stuck on 3G (which often can't cope) so more pictures will have to wait for me to return to civilization, and only brought an iPhone not a proper camera, but there are a bunch on Instagram: https://instagram.com/drgitlin

I also chronicled the expedition around the circuit on Twitter, but increasing amounts of alcohol and sleep deprivation should be expected: https://twitter.com/drgitlin

harperdc posted:

I'm guessing it's cooler because I'm also guessing it's not quite Texas Humid.

It's been about 60-65% relative humidity. But even without hot and cold running hospitality (RIP Audi LMP1 program) it's been manageable. Camping at ALMS and then IMSA races at VIR and Watkins Glen teaches you a lot that comes in handy in such occasions. A pump shower is useful to get a bit of evaporative cooling every now and again. ;)

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jun 18, 2017

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
#1 slow :stare:

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

All LMP2 podium :allears:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

HAIL SATAN

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbzUTRAUac4

jacteh
Jul 10, 2007
#38 is going to bradbury this

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

24 Hours of Hybrid Deaths

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I tried to do the math to see if the #2 would catch the LMP2 leaders and my brain is completely and totally hosed.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i fuckin love the 24 hours of le mans you guys

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

#2 is only 2 laps back from the LMP2 leader if I read this correctly, but it's a lot of time to make up

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
Man this Le Mans edition is delivering on the LMP1 drama.
Jackie Chan vs Vaillante duel for 1st place, a bad Jean Graton comicbook

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

No oil pressure, and the #1 Porsche is stuck on the Mulsanne. Not looking good for the leader.

drgitlin posted:

It's been about 60-65% relative humidity. But even without hot and cold running hospitality (RIP Audi LMP1 program) it's been manageable. Camping at ALMS and then IMSA races at VIR and Watkins Glen teaches you a lot that comes in handy in such occasions. A pump shower is useful to get a bit of evaporative cooling every now and again. ;)

yeah it's June so I'm becoming more and more aware and worried about being a walking sweat hog in Tokyo, and I've found 70% is the point where you just start precipitating out of nowhere (even if it's only like 18 degrees). Not looking forward to the inevitable 28 degree / 90 percent humidity days coming soon.

[edit]

geonetix posted:

#2 is only 2 laps back from the LMP2 leader if I read this correctly, but it's a lot of time to make up

you would think the car could make it, but in the Radio Le Mans booth their analyst says the #2 catching the #38 could come down to the last lap on current pace :psyduck:

harperdc fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 18, 2017

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

It's a guessing game really, especially with all the malheure going on in literally every single LMP1

e: #1 out!

jacteh
Jul 10, 2007

geonetix posted:

My best guess at the maths:
#38 is 11-12 minutes ahead of #2, 220 minutes to go - about 65 laps
If they're within ~10s of the #2's lap times average over the rest of the race and they're home

What will kill #38 is the extra pit stops. Looks like they need to do an extra 50%. Looks like they'll need an issue with the #2 to win

jacteh fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jun 18, 2017

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
If this goes slow zone to clear up the #1 then the #2 will be hosed

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Xisticide posted:

If this goes slow zone to clear up the #1 then the #2 will be hosed

Guess what

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

now the #2 needs to crash while pushing too hard, ensuring an lmp2 overall victory and handing toyota the lmp1 win

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
it'd be a very toyota thing that; winning LMP1 while finishing like 6th overall

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

jacteh posted:

My best guess at the maths:
#38 is 11-12 minutes ahead of #2, 220 minutes to go - about 65 laps
If they're within ~10s of the #2's lap times average over the rest of the race and they're home

and RLM's Truswell was saying this stint the average difference was 11 seconds, which is what's needed for the #2 to overhaul the #38, most likely right at the end.

BUCKLE UP, BOYS AND GIRLS, THIS IS GONNA BE A WILD FINISH

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

https://twitter.com/IMSA/status/876367080496431104

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
After last year I was like "Well ive seen it all now"

:munch:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

harperdc posted:

and RLM's Truswell was saying this stint the average difference was 11 seconds, which is what's needed for the #2 to overhaul the #38, most likely right at the end.

BUCKLE UP, BOYS AND GIRLS, THIS IS GONNA BE A WILD FINISH

but this assumes no more slow zones/safety cars

we already had one slow zone, so

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

financially racist posted:

now the #2 needs to crash while pushing too hard, ensuring an lmp2 overall victory and handing toyota the lmp1 winsurvivor's trophy

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Le Mans isn't about finishing first, it's about finishing at all.

- Every LMP1 team today

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

financially racist posted:

but this assumes no more slow zones/safety cars

we already had one slow zone, so

that was also with the #2 in something of a cruise mode.

who knows. just can watch and find out.

wouldn't mind the #38 winning seeing as it's basically JOTA Sport by another name running that team!

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

I just realised #38 has a Dutch driver. Now I know who I'm rooting for! :geert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Oh man if an lmp2 wins outright the ACO is going to cripple lmp2 for next year to prevent this from ever happening again.

• Locked thread