Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
that'd probably just be a nightmare from a production standpoint, if only because they already have to go through a million hours of footage to edit. adding a bunch more that most people wouldn't even watch probably wouldn't seem too beneficial to them. plus the effort of having to create extra challenges, have additional camera people/challenge testers, etc. not sure if it would generate enough extra income to justify that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, it'd probably only really be beneficial if people gave a poo poo about All Access in general. Which from everything I've heard, they don't.

Just me spitballing ideas. There's a reason I work in retail, not TV production :v:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

A good way to make Redemption Island work is to take the manuscripts from that season and use them as a fire starter reward in a future season.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
I wonder when they will bring Rupert back again.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Nexal posted:

I wonder when they will bring Rupert back again.

Will be Survivor Retire Our Heroes Season.

Where they bring back all the heroes that have played at least 3 times for one final chance at the million dollar prize.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The only good things from Redemption Island were giving us sassy Christine and the decision to call Coach Benjamin.

Otherwise I dunno. Uhh it got Andrea to come back for two seasons? I like her well enough even if I don't think she'll ever be a winner.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I hate Redemption Island and I still think I've never finished it. But it gave us Phillip who I hate and Andrea who I sorta, vaguely, quasi hate but really just kind of want to go away because I don't think she's really a very good player but she comes coming back for reasons.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Redemption Island gave us Russell never coming back afterwards :toot:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Redemption Island also had Boston Rob completely wrecking a bunch of idiot newbies in a way that was satisfying. "Oh we have to stay in pairs and not talk to the other tribe? OKAY!"

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
"Satisfying" isn't a word I would use there.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

STAC Goat posted:

I hate Redemption Island and I still think I've never finished it. But it gave us Phillip who I hate and Andrea who I sorta, vaguely, quasi hate but really just kind of want to go away because I don't think she's really a very good player but she comes coming back for reasons.

It's weird because, while I really dislike both, I'd almost rather Colton come back rather than Philip.

But really, never invite either back again. Same with Debbie (who just made me uncomfortable) and Varner (who I still was on the side of until the reunion).

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Yeah, as much as I enjoy Debbie's insanity and the fun production has with her, I don't think I ever want to see her again, especially after she was gung ho for douchebag in FTC last season.

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006
Just keep recasting Kass in each season and i'll watch

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Teckiwi posted:

Just keep recasting Kass in each season and i'll watch

This guy gets it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Whether or not you like Mario's list, this bit about how nobody wants an idol clue is pretty satisfying after Advantage-geddon.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gch7zN3QJAw

New Michaela video that's from the finale night, with a guest.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

Whether or not you like Mario's list, this bit about how nobody wants an idol clue is pretty satisfying after Advantage-geddon.

Is he releasing one of these per day or something? Seems a little over dramatic.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

They come out as he writes them.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

STAC Goat posted:

I used to fully agree here, but two things:

Hate RI all you want, but she was the ONLY newbie to launch any real counterattack on Boston Rob.

And she's a superfan. She won Survivor Brooklyn and plays internet versions like we have here in TGR (citation needed).

I've come around on her. I think she's too overtly threatening to win, but she was okay tv. I don't think I ever need to see her again, though. Game Changers Andrea was kind of just Caramoan Andrea, but less effective.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Honestly, I don't really know how I feel about Andrea. Reading that back hate seems harsh. I don't think I hate her. I can't think of a reason to justify it. I guess Im just sorta bored by her as a player and ready for her to be gone. I don't think she really has a ton of game so the third appearance felt like one too many for me. And that fact that her and Zeke took up so much of the middle part of the game over better players probably subconsciously bugged me or something.

But to each their own. I know she has fans and good for her/them. Like I said, I can't think of any real reason to dislike her or anything.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I never feel very strongly about Andrea while she's playing, but she always takes getting voted out so well :3:.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Yeah! She respects the game and I like that about her. It really set her apart for a while there. But now we have people like Adam and Zeke and Hannah and Aubry and David and even Jay passing through, so actually liking the show isn't as precious of a commodity anymore.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Pinterest Mom posted:

I never feel very strongly about Andrea while she's playing, but she always takes getting voted out so well :3:.

This is the reason I like Andrea.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'll agree that she's got a good attitude about the game.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I like Andrea. It's funny because she seems to have the right attitude to win when the game is in its early going, and is a good jury member because she has the right attitude after being eliminated, but in the mid-game always ends up either getting too eager or taking something too personal and then it goes poof.

Rick fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jun 27, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'll also give Andrea credit that she's one of the few 'pretty blondes' that are actually recognized as a threat and not just a flirt.

But she's never really going to win. Her threat level's just enough that she can't really skirt past the mid-game and she can't duck under the radar.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

xelfer posted:

In Australia we just got an ad for our next season which is "coming soon". The last season was really good, on par with the US version production wise, so looking forward to it.

Edit: First look video available here, unsure if it only works in AU: http://www.nowtolove.com.au/celebrity/tv/first-look-at-season-two-of-australian-survivor-37884

Huh. So apparently I know one of the guys competing this season.
http://insidesurvivor.com/meet-the-first-eight-castaways-of-australian-survivor-season-2-28113

Mark Wales is my cousin's boyfriend.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
A big twist in how the endgame works for next season was leaked (spoilers for a game mechanic / twist, not actual season spoilers... unclear when exactly the show will announce it): http://insidesurvivor.com/a-game-changing-twist-set-for-season-35-28428

My reaction:

-Immediate response is to dislike the twist. You're changing the most fundamental mechanic of the show at probably the most important vote of the season.

-BUT thinking it through further, it's actually not so terrible. A big reason some fans prefer Final 2s over Final 3s is a Final 2 encourages a more dynamic endgame, because a mutually agreed upon Final 3 deal controls the majority vote in the last few votes, whereas a mutually agreed upon Final 2 never has a majority in any useful way. This shakes that problem up-- now a mutually agreed upon Final 3 deal is not as simple as "just make sure the one outsider doesn't win the last immunity." It's still possible that there will be a Final 3 alliance that tries to run the last few votes, but there's at least more of an incentive to turn on each other now if you worry you would have to make fire (and can't). However, for this to actually benefit the game, the players would need to know about the twist WELL before the Final 4 vote (preferably at the start of the game, but at least by around Final 7 or so at the latest).

-On the other hand, this primary "problem" with the Final 3 might not actually *be* a problem. Final 3s have historically resulted in more satisfying winners and while there are a lot of possible reasons for that, I have always thought it's because a really skilled player can potentially build one of these rock solid Final 3 deals that they know they can win. It's a much more stable route to winning than any method available in a Final 2 season.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

When I think of big-time players, I too think of Cirie, Malcom, and ....Kelley? :confused:

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

mancalamania posted:

A big twist in how the endgame works for next season was leaked (spoilers for a game mechanic / twist, not actual season spoilers... unclear when exactly the show will announce it): http://insidesurvivor.com/a-game-changing-twist-set-for-season-35-28428

"Survivor is often criticized for the way the “strongest” players are eliminated just before Final Tribal Council, losing out on the chance to plead their case to the jury"

Fuckin tell me about it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

GuavaMoment posted:

When I think of big-time players, I too think of Cirie, Malcom, and ....Kelley? :confused:

Did you miss the season where she came back? She had a pretty good run and would have gotten some votes at the end, with a chance to win if she made final 3.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
This feels like the worst part of a final three combined with the worst parts of a final two?

I've always preferred an F2 because I like a suspenseful ending more than a "satisfying" winner, but this seems like it increases the possibility that you get neither

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
So they're trying to manufacture a Kaoh Rong endgame? Aubry vs Cydney was a big emotional moment. That coupled with rumours of the jury format changing because of Michele's win... Aubry's game-changing presence is strong.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I would be okay with this if we get more eternal Becky/Sundra and Carolyn/Rodney face-offs.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Survivor had an okay run.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I don't hate that? We'll have to see how it plays out, but my sense is that it'll reduce variance in the endgame - make the winner a lot less dependent on who the winner of the final challenge is. That rewards players who do a better job throughout the game, at the expense of challenge runs.

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?
Just binged Millenials/GenX & Game Changers
loving awesome seasons - or maybe I had been away from Survivor too long
Love Mikaela, glad she got brought back for Game Changers
Hope she gets brought back again
Debbie is loving crazy

Was watching NZ survivor then got super bored then got spoiled on the winner so just fast forwarding to the important parts to see who went out when and how
But yea NZ Survivor was pretty unwatchable compared to the original product
2 episodes a week so they can squeeze every bit of dialogue they could - it's like they had a deal with the crew that they wouldn't cut too much of their work
So loving boring
Boring cast too except for Jak and Tony
I guess I did kind of appreciate how they showed more of the behind the scenes and how they really are desperate for food pretty much all of the time, that put me right off even considering applying for an upcoming season

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I've been wondering about watching Survivor: Kiwis, but boy howdy. If you think two episodes per week is bad, try Australian Survivor. They had three weekly until they wised up.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Australian Survivor S3 was awesome though, a top tier season even compared to the US version. Fantastic cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Welllll. It was okay. Good production value at least. The cast at the end was pretty dull and the winner was meh. But I think anyone who made it near the end wouldn't have been a great winner.

• Locked thread