Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Anyone know what the sauce is for the generic shredded cabbage salad, the kind of thing you always get with tonkatsu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Grand Fromage posted:

Anyone know what the sauce is for the generic shredded cabbage salad, the kind of thing you always get with tonkatsu?

Is it that creamy sesame stuff? I can't remember.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I'm pretty sure the base is kewpie mayonnaise...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Knowing Japan it's probably just mayo.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

Knowing Japan it's probably just mayo.

Maybe with some added lemon! But yeah, it may be just mayo. The couple places I went in Tokyo didn't put anything on the shredded cabbage; the diners just dribbled seasoned soy sauce on it. Wasn't bad, actually!

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
that reminds me to share the sesame steak sauce copycat recipe copy a friend figured out from our local teppan place. not in the least healthy or Japanese I'm sure but it's loving delicious on steak, rice and veggies.

Ingredients:

2/3 cup Sesame Seeds

2/3 cup Yamasa Soy Sauce

1 1/3 cups Vegetable Oil

2 tsp Fresh Garlic, minced

1 cup White Onion, chopped

4 tsp English Mustard powder

1/4 cup Sour Cream

1/4    cup Japanese Mayonnaise

Directions:

Prepare the mustard according to the instructions on the box (the mixture should be very creamy). Let stand for at least 10 minutes. 

Bake the sesame seeds on a cookie sheet until golden brown. 

Mix the mustard with the soy sauce, sour cream, mayonnaise and the vegetable oil, place in blender. 

Add the garlic, onion and sesame seeds.

Blend until smooth and creamy.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I bought some furikake last time I was at the Asian store and finally used it tonight. Holy poo poo it is gods gift to man. It's amazing.

I'm probably gonna make some rice balls tomorrow and cover them in it. What should I put in the middle?

Arrgytehpirate fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 18, 2017

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
明太子

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
All that goes on steak is salt and pepper. :colbert:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I bought some furikake last time I was at the Asian store and finally used it tonight. Holy poo poo it is gods gift to man. It's amazing.

I'm probably gonna make some rice balls tomorrow and cover them in it. What should I put in the middle?

Cheese. Negimiso. Pickles. Leftover meat. The power is yours!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Cheese. Negimiso. Pickles. Leftover meat. The powder is yours!

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Stringent posted:

All that goes on steak is salt and pepper. :colbert:

I like it with all kinds of stuff, english mustard, horseradish, that sauce I posted above. 90% of the time it's just salt and pepper, though, especially if it's a super nice steak. That sesame sauce is great on anything, though.

And furikake is great on yakisoba too.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Pretty sure it's a blend of toasted sesame seeds, soy sauce and kewpie mayo. Sometimes you can get the stuff from speciality stores, I really love the stuff.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I like to put it on tamago gohan - which I make for breakfast several times a week every since discovering how delicious it is. I bought a tiny little rice cooker for work just so I could make delicious eggy rice there.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Anyone have tips for making good ramen? The places by me are getting popular and/or expensive and it is about time I learn to make something not Italian.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Nephzinho posted:

Anyone have tips for making good ramen? The places by me are getting popular and/or expensive and it is about time I learn to make something not Italian.

Fresh ramen noodles are amazing. If you make them, try to get the lye solution you add to the noodle dough. I'm not a big fan of the baking soda boiling water method you see sometimes, but if that's what's reasonably accessible for you, it's not horrible.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Most of the high end ramen places in Japan buy fresh noodles from noodle factories, so don't feel bad at all if you'd rather just buy the noodles. If you do want to make them, just buy the kansui instead of doing all that baked baking soda poo poo, it's like 4 bucks or whatever for a bottle that'll last you forever. Right now for 4 portions of noodles I do 300g flour (bread flour works best for me, but AP is fine), 1/2C water, 1 1/4 tsp kansui and it works pretty well. Combine the water and kansui, put the flour in a food processor and with the processor running stream the water in through the top. The dough will look like yellow sand and won't come together in the machine. Transfer to a bowl and press it together into a ball. It will feel very dry and stiff, much moreso than the pasta you're used to. Wrap the dough in plastic and let it rest for at least 15 minutes. This does two things: first, you're allowing the flour to fully hydrate and second, you're giving the gluten time to relax so you can actually work with the dough. Once it's rested, knead it a few times by hand. It will still be very stiff and dry but you'll be surprised just how quickly it starts to become smooth. Let it rest again for another 15 minutes or more and set up your pasta roller (you could in theory roll it by hand but it's going to be one hell of a goddamn workout). Cut the dough in two and flatten them out enough so that they won't choke up your roller. What you're now going to do is essentially knead the dough with your roller instead of by hand. Feed the dough through on the lowest speed and thickest setting, then the second thickest and repeat with the second piece of dough. Now fold the dough in half lengthwise and roll it again the same way (thickest setting, then second thickest), you're going to do this at least 3 or 4 times total until the dough feels silky smooth and looks uniform. Once it's silky, roll it out to your desired thickness (I like #4 on the kitchenaid pasta attachment). Cut the long sheets into 12 inch sections (or however long you want your noodles to be), trim off the raggedy edges, cut the sheets with a pasta cutter for spaghetti and toss the noodles with a little cornstarch to keep them from sticking. You're done! These noodles cook extremely quickly (maybe a minute or less) so be sure not to overcook them. They should still seem a bit underdone when you strain them out because the hot broth will continue to cook them some.

I won't get into the broth too much other than to say it doesn't have to be as involved a process as you might think. Sure you can labor over a tonkotsu broth for days at a time if you really want to but you can also just simmer a couple chicken thighs with some onion, garlic and dried shiitake until they're tender, steep kombu and katsuobushi in the simmering liquid for a few minutes and season generously with salt and a splash of soy and you've got a really solid shio ramen. Or even easier, take some storebought stock or even just water and stir in miso and instant dashi powder and season with salt and soy sauce. Serve it with some cut up tofu, noodles, green onions, sesame seeds and some flavorful oil, maybe some seaweed or bamboo shoots too if you're feeling it. Very little active effort involved (especially if you have access to good quality fresh noodles), super quick and I guarantee it'll be drat tasty. Really the most important part is just making sure your broth is pretty aggressively seasoned so that it balances out the mildness of the noodles and other ingredients.

Hope that helps!

Thoht fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 27, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Also the turkey paitan ramen broth on serious eats is good as hell if you want to try something a little different.

e. And my local Asian grocery finally started stocking fresh ramen noodles recently but I keep forgetting that :downs:

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Learning to cut weiners into octopus shapes is the most important Japanese cooking skill.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Learning to cut weiners into octopus shapes is the most important Japanese cooking skill.

:eyepop: hot dog!

That's really cute.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I know in LA all the top ramen places just buy Sun Noodles and that's what I do. They're great, and when you're taking two days to put together a tonkatsu broth and ajitama and whatever else, it's a nice not to have to fuss with mixing up and cutting dough.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Top Ramen places :eyepop:

(I know what you meant)

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So I gave making ramen that was more than just those flavor packets. I mainly used this recipe here. http://www.hungrygirlporvida.com/blog/2016/05/04/cheaters-spicy-miso-ramen/

I think it turned out good. It was my first time cooking with miso and gochujang. The spice is good, theres definitely a kick to it but I think I could of gone ahead and added a habanero or a couple of Jalapeņo to it. The only other things I added were scallions, mushrooms and some sesame seeds. So some ideas for stuff to add besides an egg. I don't like eggs. I do eventually wanna add some BBQ pork like it's made at the noodle shop downtown, just gotta learn how to do that.

My one problem though is that this recipe says to add the miso and gouchujang to the water than boil it. However with that stuff it in the water seemed like it was having trouble boiling. Should I be boiling the water first then adding the miso and spice or did it need to boil longer?

Edit: Oh and instead of buying the instant ramen and just throwing the flavor packet away, I was able to buy a pack of noodles by itself.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 19, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How thick is pork shogayaki supposed to be? In the Cooking with Dog video, it's pretty thin and tender and is all floppy when you pick it up, while in other videos, it tends to be thicker such that it retains its shape when lifted. I tried making shogayaki in the past, but I could never get the pork so thin on my own, and it didn't come out particularly well.

I like quickly-cooked recipes like that in the summer, cause I don't want to add heat to my apartment by cooking something for a long time (e.g. braising).

edit: Is it possible to use something like a Benriner to cut meat thinly? I've not had very good results by pounding out chicken or pork, it always ends up shredded or nowhere near thin enough.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 22, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
If you want thinner cut meat, try asking at the meat counter where you shop. Most places can oblige you. Eating out, I've seen it mostly thinner, kind of like the standard hamsteak thickness. (Less than a cm?) Not like shabu shabu thin. More like breakfast steak thin.

Pounding thin without mangling meat requires some practice.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

If you want thinner cut meat, try asking at the meat counter where you shop. Most places can oblige you. Eating out, I've seen it mostly thinner, kind of like the standard hamsteak thickness. (Less than a cm?) Not like shabu shabu thin. More like breakfast steak thin.

Pounding thin without mangling meat requires some practice.

No meat counter where I usually shop, unfortunately - just a butchery in the back that they don't open to customers. I might just go further out to get my stuff.

1cm is a little over 1/3 inch - I think that's doable!

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

If your meat is half-frozen it's much easier to get it really thin. Also having a really sharp knife helps. Or a deli slicer. Mandoline won't really work.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Hi thread, is there a goon-approved panko crumbs recipe? I'd especially like if it's possible to cut down the sodium in the crumbs a bit, because store-bought panko is salty as hell.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

coyo7e posted:

Hi thread, is there a goon-approved panko crumbs recipe? I'd especially like if it's possible to cut down the sodium in the crumbs a bit, because store-bought panko is salty as hell.

I don't think I've ever gotten salty panko, but...

If you've got a food processor, use the coarse grating attachment to grind up white sandwich bread. If your sammich slices are pretty moist, you might want to let them dry out on the counter for an hour or two before trying to grind them. (I suppose the timing will depend on how humid your kitchen is.) If you want white panko rather than tan, make sure to cut off the crust, too. Spread the crumbs out on a rimmed baking sheet and put them in your oven on its lowest setting until the crumbs are dry but not toasted. You'll probably need to stir them once. I store mine in the freezer.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Ahh cool. I always assumed they had some kind of soy and or umami added in to the Whitbread crumbs. Is there a specific kind of bread thats better than most?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

coyo7e posted:

Ahh cool. I always assumed they had some kind of soy and or umami added in to the Whitbread crumbs. Is there a specific kind of bread thats better than most?

A fluffy, white sammich bread seems to work best. I like Freihofer's Italian bread but I think any pain de mie-style white loaf should work. Conversely, sourdoughs and other chewier breads aren't really good for panko (but make great breadcrumbs imo).

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Kevin DuBrow posted:

really tiny apple corers work great.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

A fluffy, white sammich bread seems to work best. I like Freihofer's Italian bread but I think any pain de mie-style white loaf should work. Conversely, sourdoughs and other chewier breads aren't really good for panko (but make great breadcrumbs imo).
I will try this soon and report back, im on a squash and sweet potato and shrimp kick lately

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

coyo7e posted:

Panko is specifically made from shokopan - the texture and crumb size are a result of the bread used. If you use regular (non tangzhong) white bread, you'll just get normal breadcrumbs, which isn't a bad thing but also not panko.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
thanks for the noodle recipe thodt, i tried it tonight with some quick pressure cooker stock and they were awesome.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Hell yeah, dude. Looks great.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Thoht posted:

Hell yeah, dude. Looks great.

thanks man, my brother gave me poo poo for using Chinese bbq pork and an onsen egg instead of soft boiled or w/e is traditional.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Ramen is a Chinese dish originally and so is chashu, screw your brother.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Ramen is a Chinese dish originally and so is chashu, screw your brother.

I don't think it's fair to issue incest-related mod challenges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

large hands posted:

thanks man, my brother gave me poo poo for using Chinese bbq pork and an onsen egg instead of soft boiled or w/e is traditional.

That sounds like the actual traditional ingredients, so I don't know what your brother is talking about.