Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Why? Simplified looks loving ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
i am the tradeeshurnurl peeper

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
:same:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Atlas Hugged posted:

Why? Simplified looks loving ugly.

Its a lot quicker to write and if its the PRC its more useful.

I would always write my chirnese name in traditional characters though for extra waaaaaaa.

Half decent shufa is something you can get a fuckload of mileage out of as a gweilo.

I'm not a huge fan of china anymore but chinese calligraphy is extremely beautiful and its still transfixing to me.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
A Chinese friend of mine (the person who convinced me I should go to China to begin with) is a calligraphy teacher in Tokyo. Anyone want a referral?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
If you're writing something of length by hand you're probably writing in cursive and if you're using a computer then it doesn't matter how complex it is.

Yes it's more useful to know simplified in China but why are you in China and not in Best China?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Atlas Hugged posted:

If you're writing something of length by hand you're probably writing in cursive and if you're using a computer then it doesn't matter how complex it is.

Yes it's more useful to know simplified in China but why are you in China and not in Best China?

Adventure?

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Atlas Hugged posted:

我自己學國語

I hope you can tell by my basic and probably non native grammar that I did as well. Easy when you live in the drat place if you have half a brain.

I find it incredible foreign people live there a decade or more and need their chinese/taiwanese/whatever wife to read street signs to them

Modest Mao fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 18, 2017

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Atlas Hugged posted:

why are you in China and not in Best China?

never ever go to the PRC, my god

Taiwan owns though, on an objective level

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Modest Mao posted:

I hope you can tell by my basic and probably non native grammar that I did as well. Easy when you live in the drat place if you have half a brain.

I find it incredible foreign people live there a decade or more and need their chinese/taiwanese/whatever wife to read street signs to them

That drove me nuts as well. I hate not being able to read so it was a must for me to learn characters. Besides, if you're in Taiwan and doing the Heisig method you can get through those characters in a few months if you're serious about it.

I tried learning to read Thai for the same reasons but holy poo poo gently caress that written language.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Simplified is like a stylized font except for a few words like maybe 開關

it's incredibly easy to read once you know traditional if you're using chinese on a daily basis like 65% of common words don't even change at all

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I don't know. I find some of the simplified characters to be incredibly far removed from their traditional counterparts to the point that I don't recognize them. My wife has to teach simplified at her school and so her fonts are set to it when she posts on Facebook or sends me messages and I usually can't read them and have to convert them to traditional.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
taiwan owns and now I gotta live in LA for the next 2-3 years for career reasons and I already fantasize about all the chinese people I will meet and be able to say 世界只一個中國 蔡英文是任總統。

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Atlas Hugged posted:

I don't know. I find some of the simplified characters to be incredibly far removed from their traditional counterparts to the point that I don't recognize them. My wife has to teach simplified at her school and so her fonts are set to it when she posts on Facebook or sends me messages and I usually can't read them and have to convert them to traditional.

I guess I have some exposure to both pretty often and you get used to it to the point where 個 and 个 look the same to your brain, to the point where they're just fonts

by the way my chinese is rear end garbage compared to anyone who studied it so idk if I'm just a retard or genius or that's what normally happens w/r/t the two character sets

東 is in my name and when people message me saying "hi ...东..."; my brain fucks up, tho

Modest Mao fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 18, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

This is also my face when I eat cum

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Modest Mao posted:

You can't even speak Chinese lmao
I don't know if that's an insult or what, but I am very proud of the fact that I don't speak Chinese. I tell this to Chinese people too.

"WHY U DON'T LEARN CHINESE, U R HERE 9 MONTHS."
"Because I'ma leeeeeeeave foreverrrr"
"U DON'T LIKE CHINA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?"
"It's so-so."

Nov 24, 2014

Fojar38 posted:

im the 216 million dollar "slum upgrades"

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

drat Haier you should have told that girl she is not american and could never understand pizza

Savage For The Winjun fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 18, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Savage For The Winjun posted:

drat Haier you should have told that girl she is not white and could never understand pizza

I do this sort of thing now and then and nobody ever gets it.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
How Beijing abbreviates itself is funny sometimes.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
http://www.bjbus.com/home/index.php?uLang=1

This web site is really disappointing.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nursery blast kills seven in China's Xuzhou
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/06/blast-hits-kindergarten-eastern-china-170615110621113.html

Its too bad China doesnt have a terrorist problem because they can only blame their own incompetence for this poo poo

"It is the latest tragedy to strike a nursery in China in recent weeks.

A school bus packed with nursery pupils burst into flames inside a tunnel in eastern Shandong province on May 9, killing 11 children, a teacher and the driver.

Officials later said the fire was intentionally set by the driver, who was angry at losing overtime wages."

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
China does have a terrorist problem, in Xinjiang and there high speed rail stations. There were crazy Uighurs rushing in and stabbing everyone.

In the name of war on terror china and extreme Islam china did a lot of lovely things to Uighur muslims like cutting their beards, having drinking competitions during Ramadan and making people eat during Ramadan.

But one group of muslims do weave around being Chinese and Islam and that's the Hui. Ethnically Han but culturally distinct they can juggle around their identities and all.

Recently not so much because moderate muslims are forced to take a side :smith:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Wahhabism can go to loving all and turning the rest of the Muslim world into crazy fundamentalists.

And shame on US foreign policy for supporting the saudis

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

caberham posted:

China does have a terrorist problem, in Xinjiang and there high speed rail stations. There were crazy Uighurs rushing in and stabbing everyone.

In the name of war on terror china and extreme Islam china did a lot of lovely things to Uighur muslims like cutting their beards, having drinking competitions during Ramadan and making people eat during Ramadan.

But one group of muslims do weave around being Chinese and Islam and that's the Hui. Ethnically Han but culturally distinct they can juggle around their identities and all.

Recently not so much because moderate muslims are forced to take a side :smith:

its a joke, china has no terrorists like iran has no gays

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I really think the terrorist situation is overblown though :smith:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I think jokes are overblown... over your head

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
This is amazing, and soooo Mainland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agricultural_Bank_of_China_robbery

quote:

The Agricultural Bank of China robbery was the embezzlement of nearly 51 million yuan (c.US$6.7 million) from the Handan branch of the Agricultural Bank of China (ABC) in Hebei province between March 16 and April 14, 2007. Perpetrated by two vault managers employed at the branch, it is the largest bank robbery in China's history.[1]

The idea for the heist had begun when one of the managers, Ren Xiaofeng, stole 200,000 yuan (c.US$26,000) in October 2006 with the complicity of two security guards, Zhao Xuenan and Zhang Qiang. Ren then purchased tickets for the Chinese lottery, with the intention of winning a sufficiently large prize that he could return the missing funds before their absence was noted, and still have money left over for himself.[2] Despite the unfavourable odds Ren was successful, and he was able to return the 200,000 to the vault.[3]

Emboldened by his initial success, Ren joined forces with another manager, Ma Xiangjing, to perpetrate the same crime on a far larger scale. During March and April 2007, the two stole 32.96 million yuan (c.US$4.3 million), and spent almost the entire amount—31.25 million—on lottery tickets.[4] This time good fortune was not on their side. In desperation, they stole six cash boxes containing a further 18 million yuan (c.US$2.3 million) on April 14, spending 14 million in a single day in an effort to recover their losses. Despite Handan reporting record lottery ticket sales, the two recouped only 98,000 yuan (c.US$12,700).[5]

On April 16, ABC branch managers discovered the missing money and notified the police.[1] With insufficient funds to cover the losses, Ren and Ma bought fake IDs and cars with their meagre winnings, and fled.[5] This prompted an extensive manhunt, with the Public Security Ministry placing the two men on their "Most Wanted" list.[1][5] Ma was arrested in Beijing on April 18, and Ren was found a day later in Lianyungang, a coastal town in Jiangsu Province.[4]
Ren and Ma were charged with embezzlement, while Zhao and Zhang, the security guards, were charged with misappropriating public funds. A fifth man, Song Changhai, was also prosecuted for harbouring Ma while he was on the run.[1]

The three accomplices were all given sentences of up to five years in prison, while the two managers were sentenced to death.[3] A landlord, a cab driver, and a car saleswoman in Lianyungang shared a 200,000 yuan reward for assisting police to arrest Ren, while in Handan five employees of the bank were fired.[4] Only 5.5 million yuan was ever recovered by the police, with the remainder squandered by the perpetrators' gambling.[4]

Both Ren and Ma were executed in Hebei province on April 1, 2008.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Third World Reggin posted:

I think jokes are overblown... over your head

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its great that stealing money in china results in a death sentence. You can really see where their priorities lie.

If they had simply run over a child they would still be alive

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dumbasses. Should have fled with the 31 million dollars. With that kind of money they could have brought safe passage to almost anywhere in the world and disappear.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fauxtool posted:

its great that stealing money in china results in a death sentence. You can really see where their priorities lie.

If they had simply run over a child they would still be alive

note even though they knew what they were looking at....they still did it.

Wait they did it got away with it, and instead of walking away they did it again.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I went to eat some pizza alone. Since everyone does everything at the exact same time here, I like to go after 2 or 3pm because the rest have already eaten lunch and it's too early for dinner. The restaurant was nearly empty except for a couple tables. The workers are all asleep or playing phone on other tables. I am halfway through my meal when this loud and young Russian couple come in. The guy is standing there looking around for a table and sees me. We make eye contact. He immediately comes over and they sit at the table across from me.
He pulls out his phone and, I don't know if was an ebook or a news website or what, but he starts reading out loud while his girl leans on him. They ordered and he read out loud the entire time they were there, maybe 25-30 minutes. His girl kept looking at me and making an embarrassed face, but they remained eating and reading.

Chinese people have told me a few times they feel that Russians are just white Chinese. I usually agree with this statement.

Ups_rail posted:

note even though they knew what they were looking at....they still did it.

Wait they did it got away with it, and instead of walking away they did it again.
:thejoke:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

VideoTapir posted:

How Beijing abbreviates itself is funny sometimes.

When I think China, I will think long bjs.

caberham posted:

Wahhabism can go to loving all and turning the rest of the Muslim world into crazy fundamentalists.

And shame on US foreign policy for supporting the saudis
You know what keeps me warm at nights? Knowing that once the west is weaned off fossil fuels, the house of Saud will be put to death on public television.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Chinese weather translations -

Cloudy, no rain: "It will rain!!/It is raining! Don't go outside!"
Dark clouds, no rain: "It's raining! Don't go outside!"
Clouds and wind: "There is a typhoon outside now. You can't go outside."
Very, very light rain: "OMG, too much rain! Don't go outside!"
Rain: "It will stop soon. I never trust weather forecasts, they are always wrong. Who can predict rain anyway?"
Actual storm or typhoon: "This will go away, you can go outside any moment."

Edit - This kind of poo poo makes it very hard to meet people outside or talk about the weather. I might say I am walking/going by someone's area and they will tell me it is raining. It isn't. It never did rain. They will tell you it is raining because it is cloudy. When trying to meet up with someone, they say it is raining when it's not. Then if it does sprinkle slightly, it becomes like this big painful burden. "I had to WALK... in the RAIN.... I'm going to get SICK!!!"

Haier fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jun 18, 2017

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Does china know about umbrellas? In Japan one pops out of thin air for each Japanese everytime it rains.

And it kind of sucks, because the pointy things are usually at eye level for me and I always think I am going to get an eye poked out.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Brb going to steal millions of dollars and blow it all on lottery tickets.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I don't blame them, it's the perfect crime.

Imagine if they just took all the money and ran off. You know, how Chinese business usually operates.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
This needs to be fixed to say "When you're Mainland."

http://i.imgur.com/iqgPNeq.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
attempted kidnapping :ohdear:

https://zippy.gfycat.com/WellgroomedLoathsomeHippopotamus.webm