Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SleuthDiplomacy
Sep 25, 2010

Cernunnos posted:

Getting back into this game and installing Horizon Sim Settlements for the first time.

Went to check out some add-ons for Sim Settlements and... WELP. IT BEGINS:

Excellent, modder drama is like half the fun of the whole mod experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Cernunnos posted:

Getting back into this game and installing Horizon Sim Settlements for the first time.

Went to check out some add-ons for Sim Settlements and... WELP. IT BEGINS:

This is a cry for attention or they wanted to quit already. The chances of real principles being involved are real dang slim.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Well that is incredibly silly, dude should have just kept doing what he was doing. Eventually they'd buy him out as Sim Settlements or something like it will certainly show in the next Elder Scrolls or Fallout game.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well that is incredibly silly, dude should have just kept doing what he was doing. Eventually they'd buy him out as Sim Settlements or something like it will certainly show in the next Elder Scrolls or Fallout game.

It's just a rando addon creator, not the actual Sim Settlements dev.

Also, the best response to Bethesda trying to monetize mods is to undercut them by creating superior mods for free.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

So what you're saying is that Bethesda will manage to produce an actual coherent settlement management system on their own?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Prop Wash posted:

So what you're saying is that Bethesda will manage to produce an actual coherent settlement management system on their own?

By copying sim settlements. Just like how most features are simply a checklist of popular mods for Fallout 3/FNV.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

If that particular add on was the one that included a "mole rat farm", it was dumb as poo poo anyway. The mole rats it spawned were bugged out and the actual building design broke convention and covered about 2x the area and height of all the other buildings. I think that was also the one that included Child of Atom "businesses" that had no purpose but to add rads to your settlement. That entire concept was invalidated when the Architect's T-Square was added to the base mod like a week after release and players were no longer subject to randomized construction.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

SeanBeansShako posted:

By copying sim settlements.
Not a single innovation from the base Fallout 4 game had its origin outside of Skyrim and New Vegas mods. Except maybe fuel-driven power armor and vertibird rides, and only then because the old engine likely made attempts too difficult.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I know there was definitely a working vertibird mod for FO3 but it was janky as fuuuuuck.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
It's hard to work up much animus towards Bethesda over copying mods since the copied features end up the least controversial and most thought-out.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

At least with this new modding scheme, the dudes who create some cool new idea they'll eventually adopt will get money. Obsidian did the same with New Vegas too, they paid attention to what was hot with the Fallout 3 mods as well.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My dream is that they adopt the Skywind project.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

Not a single innovation from the base Fallout 4 game had its origin outside of Skyrim and New Vegas mods. Except maybe fuel-driven power armor and vertibird rides, and only then because the old engine likely made attempts too difficult.

When your modding community is as long-lived and prolific as Bethesda's, avoiding 'copying mods' eventually becomes impossible.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
Heres hoping that people use access to Bethesda to make mods that aren't currently possible. I'd much rather see a Power Armour unarmed killmove mod or a bicycle you can ride than anything shown in the demonstration.

EDIT: A while ago I started using Bhaal's sorting, and now it seems like Valdacil's is the commonly accepted mod. Since just switching them will give me a bunch of messed up tags, is there anyway to make the transition mid-game that won't require renaming every item manually?

Erd fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 15, 2017

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Erd posted:

Heres hoping that people use access to Bethesda to make mods that aren't currently possible. I'd much rather see a Power Armour unarmed killmove mod or a bicycle you can ride than anything shown in the demonstration.

EDIT: A while ago I started using Bhaal's sorting, and now it seems like Valdacil's is the commonly accepted mod. Since just switching them will give me a bunch of messed up tags, is there anyway to make the transition mid-game that won't require renaming every item manually?

Drop and pick up all your items. This fixes issues with items in your inventory if you install Valdacil's mid-game at least.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SeanBeansShako posted:

At least with this new modding scheme, the dudes who create some cool new idea they'll eventually adopt will get money. Obsidian did the same with New Vegas too, they paid attention to what was hot with the Fallout 3 mods as well.

Yeah, and then Bethesda just went and threw all that out for FO4 :sigh:

I mean yeah they took a bunch of ideas from popular mods but for some reason they ditched a bunch of the cool stuff from New Vegas itself. I liked different ammo types and DT.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

MikeJF posted:

My dream is that they adopt the Skywind project.

Skywind looks loving amazing, I just hope it doesn't end up like every other giant mod.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gonkish posted:

Skywind looks loving amazing, I just hope it doesn't end up like every other giant mod.

Astonishingly it seems to be making slow but steady progress

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah, and then Bethesda just went and threw all that out for FO4 :sigh:

I mean yeah they took a bunch of ideas from popular mods but for some reason they ditched a bunch of the cool stuff from New Vegas itself. I liked different ammo types and DT.

I never got why they ditched that either. Guess they really don't want to lose the reputation of having games with damage sponges in them?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/24904/

Something similar to New Vegas's wasteland hi-res clothing retexture mod. Gives a lot of perspective into just how blotchy the base clothing is in the game.

Man after booting this up after a long time I am still amazed they somehow made the third person camera even worse than the one in Skyrim and Fallout 3.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 16, 2017

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/24914/

Not just clever trolling, but an appropriate melee weapon as well.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

SeanBeansShako posted:

I never got why they ditched that either. Guess they really don't want to lose the reputation of having games with damage sponges in them?

Bethesda can't admit that other developers can do the Fallout setting more justice than they can. By any metric. It'd be like saying they don't deserve their identity.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

I mean they don't really, they just happened to buy it

blackcat12951
Oct 23, 2012

HELLCAT BESTCAT

Doctor Rope

SleuthDiplomacy posted:

Yeah, using MO right now. I'll try some of the fixes you all recommend. Unfortunately, my Data folder seems to have only vanilla files, so that's out the window.

EDIT: No dice, even after reinstall, merging instead of replacing, using separate esp for compatibility updates, or using the Last Resort fix. I think it might just be time to bail and use a more barebones mod setup.

EDIT EDIT: Everything working much smoother now without Armorsmith, minus the Lone Wanderer Rebalance being broken and the OP pipe machinegun from Extended Weapon mods being everywhere. A real shame on that last one, the pipe machinegun's design is really cool.

MO keeps the mods in its own folder structure separate from vanilla on purpose, so thats why your data folder is vanilla. If you want to try again, assuming you downloaded through MO, is right click the mod, choose remove mod, then reinstall from your downloads(if you haven't removed it you don't need to redownload), then merge the patches .

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/24904/

Something similar to New Vegas's wasteland hi-res clothing retexture mod. Gives a lot of perspective into just how blotchy the base clothing is in the game.

Man after booting this up after a long time I am still amazed they somehow made the third person camera even worse than the one in Skyrim and Fallout 3.

Wow, that looks really good. A lot of texture mods like this add a lot of "texture" to things that just makes everything look like burlap, or else too "good" (perfect weave). This is pretty much faithful to vanilla, but better in just about every conceivable way. Guy apparently is going to do more work on it, but at present, it's just about right, and vanilla resolution to boot, so technically no performance hit.

Unfortunately, 1.2 gb is hefty for vanity, but for everyone who honestly doesn't care about file size, give this a look. I just have to ratio the SSD.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Yo guys, I felt like playing vanilla before modding the game again to see what I wanted to change. I know there's a couple explosives mods and some weapon overhaul mods, so im looking for suggestions to make explosives better. Throwing 5 frag grenades to kill one Super Mutant Butcher was only fun because my build was built around using vats to shoot my grenades in the middle of the air, which is rad as hell but stops being effective as soon as I get away from Raiders.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

There's a mod up on the Nexus now with shirts celebrating Gay Pride and the comments on it are, surprisingly, overwhelmingly thoughtful and supportive.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Nasgate posted:

Yo guys, I felt like playing vanilla before modding the game again to see what I wanted to change. I know there's a couple explosives mods and some weapon overhaul mods, so im looking for suggestions to make explosives better. Throwing 5 frag grenades to kill one Super Mutant Butcher was only fun because my build was built around using vats to shoot my grenades in the middle of the air, which is rad as hell but stops being effective as soon as I get away from Raiders.

The problem here is not with explosives, as much as NPC health. If you make explosives enough to put a dent in late NPC health pools, they'll probably just one shot you, where NPCs with grenades are prone to spam them.

Unfortunately, the only way to "fix it" is a fundamental redesign of NPC statistics and perks. NPCs, because literally 10x more health is dumb. Perks, because stacking damage bonus are there to counter the dumb health pools. Almost a chicken or the egg situation, but it's the same problem in Bethesda's other games, so apparently they honestly believe this is good design.

EDIT: if you're looking for something less dramatic, you can extrpolate from the above that if you spend perks that boost explosive damage you'll be able to use them again. Bethesda progression curves are the reverse, where you can start out using everything, and as the game progresses you basically have to pigeon hole yourself into a specialization, ultimately limiting your options.

Have fun!

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Seashell Salesman posted:

There's a mod up on the Nexus now with shirts celebrating Gay Pride and the comments on it are, surprisingly, overwhelmingly thoughtful and supportive.

I saw another one a couple of days ago that added pride flags as decorative items.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is this game worth playing unmoded because I can get it for free for PS4?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is this game worth playing unmoded because I can get it for free for PS4?

did you like skyrim? it's fun to gently caress around in for a while

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Gonkish posted:

A modder chooses- a slave obeys!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

One of the big overhauls for both FNV/3 had night vision that used ecells, as well as I think some other power using abilities.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Gonkish posted:

So, this, given to a follower, a Chef's hat, a flamer and the cannibal perk, I am all ready to RP the second coming of Cook Cook 2 "rapefest boogaloo."
(Edit so, I know we have boob hair and rear end physics, but do we have huge gut physics yet? myrealism etc.)

staberind fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 17, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
After an Arkane game booting this up feels quaint. The game could really do with better traversal options. Heavy object lifting and just better item manipulation would be nice too. Never mind a GLOO gun.

Most of the heavy stuff is static I think, so that's probably out of the question.

Idk about Arkane style climbing/hoisting. It would break the level design in some areas, and look bad in third person without new animations, but I'm guessing it's doable.

Maybe I should try a jet pack mod.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's almost not fair to compare this game to Prey- that game is so good it might as well just have been called System Shock 3 and it would have lived up to the name. So few games can reach that bar of quality; and modern Fallout has always had enough quantity that quality slips in a lot of places (yes I mean New Vegas too).

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/24981/

TrainWiz makes Coursers more Courserie!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Cool, it also includes a new weapon from the Institute's concept art.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Horizon updated to 1.1 today. Looks like a lot of weapon rework stuff, raider stuff (and the end of the Raider Overhaul compatibility patch, for people who used that mod), and some other stuff. I only just recently started a Horizon game, so I don't have enough experience with it to know what all the changes mean, but I've started getting [DAMAGED] weapons from enemies, which are in the weapons category (unlike the broken junk ones), but do very little damage and have very little value. I think the damaged pipe gun only did 5 damage, and the damaged pipe wrench was worth 4 or 5 caps (that could be the normal Horizon price though, I haven't gotten a pipe wrench other than Big Jim, and I'm not selling that one). Looks like the pipe gun that summons a pair of wolves (my first legendary item in this run) will be my gun for a few more levels. I found a shorty hunting rifle (I keep calling it the Obrez), but only have 12 .308 bullets, and none of the traders I've found have any more. I want to get some better gear before going to take on Corvega (just hit level 5, so I got a few perks filled out at least), because the Pipe Gun That Summons Wolves and Big Jim probably won't quite cut it.

Also, when I found that pipe gun, I immediately thought of the Dragon Boy Suede song "You Won't Sass Me Like That When I Can Summon Wolves", which is a stupid song but it's kind of appropriate. Those wolves tore up a legendary super mutant and distracted the red-skull Mr. Gutsy that it had been fighting enough for me to shoot it down. I may have wandered too far south a bit too early, so after that fight, I went back up north to try clearing out some more stuff that isn't Corvega.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

beats for junkies posted:

Horizon updated to 1.1 today. Looks like a lot of weapon rework stuff, raider stuff (and the end of the Raider Overhaul compatibility patch, for people who used that mod), and some other stuff. I only just recently started a Horizon game, so I don't have enough experience with it to know what all the changes mean, but I've started getting [DAMAGED] weapons from enemies, which are in the weapons category (unlike the broken junk ones), but do very little damage and have very little value. I think the damaged pipe gun only did 5 damage, and the damaged pipe wrench was worth 4 or 5 caps (that could be the normal Horizon price though, I haven't gotten a pipe wrench other than Big Jim, and I'm not selling that one). Looks like the pipe gun that summons a pair of wolves (my first legendary item in this run) will be my gun for a few more levels. I found a shorty hunting rifle (I keep calling it the Obrez), but only have 12 .308 bullets, and none of the traders I've found have any more. I want to get some better gear before going to take on Corvega (just hit level 5, so I got a few perks filled out at least), because the Pipe Gun That Summons Wolves and Big Jim probably won't quite cut it.

Also, when I found that pipe gun, I immediately thought of the Dragon Boy Suede song "You Won't Sass Me Like That When I Can Summon Wolves", which is a stupid song but it's kind of appropriate. Those wolves tore up a legendary super mutant and distracted the red-skull Mr. Gutsy that it had been fighting enough for me to shoot it down. I may have wandered too far south a bit too early, so after that fight, I went back up north to try clearing out some more stuff that isn't Corvega.

Thank you for introducing me to this beautiful work of musical art.

On the topics of guns, I haven't played Horizon in a while but it has an ammo crafting system now. The returns won't be great, but you could buy/loot other ammo, scrap it and make .308