Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What's this bitching about custom games? Do you restart on the map ASAP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

the number of times i've died because i forgot to switch a gun from single to after picking it up is p. embarassing

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So what's the absolute definitive guide to getting your parachute to open as close to the ground as possible? I hit 234 kph before hitting the gray altitude, I tried all of the 'let go of w, then press w again' stuff and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference yet I always see people opening up way below me, how are they doing that?

Metrofreak
Mar 17, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER

emanresu tnuocca posted:

So what's the absolute definitive guide to getting your parachute to open as close to the ground as possible? I hit 234 kph before hitting the gray altitude, I tried all of the 'let go of w, then press w again' stuff and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference yet I always see people opening up way below me, how are they doing that?

hit 234, hold W
That's it.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Metrofreak posted:

hit 234, hold W
That's it.

The transition to "straight down" from "looking straight up to travel far" takes about half a square on the minimap, you float about 2 squares on it with your parachute open, so aim to be about 3 squares away from your target to minimize time not spent at 234. You can slowly pump W to rock your guy back and forth once it's open to go really far at around 45-50 if you gently caress that up

revolther
May 27, 2008

Zo posted:

it happens

once i cleared an entire 3 storey school apartment and came out without even a pistol
I've definitely noticed patterns in the loot system, like the algorithm chokes up or something. There's no reason an entire 6 section apartment(essentially 30 possible spawn points) would only be filled with p92s and their ammo in a random number generator scenario, and now if I notice only a pistol and a vest on the roof, I brace myself for the disappointment.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Releasing W just before it auto-opens does make a difference afaik.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Stop complaining about poo poo loot in medium or low value areas.

However in my opinion apartments are The Best for practicing both landing accurately and fighting in close quarter combat. The easy to memorize layouts combined with different sound producing materials everywhere can give you a big advantage.

Parallel Playa posted:

Releasing W just before it auto-opens does make a difference afaik.

Used to, not anymore

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jun 18, 2017

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
"Hey there's guys running on the hill with no cover"
Goon: "Don't shoot you'll give away our position"

"Hey there's guys in the builing next to us on the way to the circle"

"Hey we're the last 2 teams alive and..."

:suicide:

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Thread rules, this game rules.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Dyz posted:

"Hey there's guys running on the hill with no cover"

"Hey there's guys in the builing next to us on the way to the circle"

"Hey we're the last 2 teams alive and..."

:suicide:
I understand this post because i'm partially this guy, but I'm always like, "Don't shoot til both of us can see them/have a shot."
This game is seriously getting close to costing me a friendship. I only got one chicken dinner, but he's been playing longer and got none. Naw, your "split up and rush forward without communicating" plan isn't going to FINALLY work.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

My friends and I have a standing tradition of shooting at everything that moves, bring on that action gameplay!

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
pictured: preliminary round of a duos tourney where top 15 advance; 25 minutes in, 78 alive :lol:

Orv
May 4, 2011
The number of icons pointing the same way on top of each other is what really hurts me.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

revolther posted:

I understand this post because i'm partially this guy, but I'm always like, "Don't shoot til both of us can see them/have a shot."
This game is seriously getting close to costing me a friendship. I only got one chicken dinner, but he's been playing longer and got none. Naw, your "split up and rush forward without communicating" plan isn't going to FINALLY work.

Stop being the weaker link and push on and use your gun. You're the other half of my duo giving "cover fire" shooting at random windows while I'm going in to kill guys

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I'm struggling with how I should play. The only "realistic" shooter I played was modern warfare 2 or 3 many years ago. I play Overwatch and I play it very aggressively. I live longer if I start on the outside and work my way in with the circle, but it seems impossible to win like that when I'm racing the circle into people that are set up.

When playing duo/squad I want to start being more aggressive and find the center asap after looting early, but my friends that have played longer are slow moving hiders.

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013
You can play agressive when solo too, I do most of the time. The games I've won so far have all been playing aggressive a majority of the time although I do die more at the start too. At least games start quick enough I don't care much.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

CMvan46 posted:

You can play agressive when solo too, I do most of the time. The games I've won so far have all been playing aggressive a majority of the time although I do die more at the start too. At least games start quick enough I don't care much.

Do know how this affects your rating? Do I need to be hunting people, or lasting as long as I can to climb?

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
I played a game of this and my gold reset to zero and I lost all my clothes. I googled and didn't see anything obvious - known bug?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
duo dinner again tonight (#7 since reset) mmm just serving em up!!! i like this game because my buddy and i are good enough that we can win much more than average, but still win rarely enough that each win is insanely satisfying

also, level 3 armor + max boost really saved the day, i think i got like 2 health boost ticks during the firefight at the end (which was 1v2 because my IDIOT friend got lost in the smoke) and lived with this much hp:

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013

cosmicjim posted:

Do know how this affects your rating? Do I need to be hunting people, or lasting as long as I can to climb?

My rating is about the same looking at season 1 vs 2 stats. My average damage is up and my top 10 rate fell by 1%. That's got a lot to do with landing in the military base though which seems to go really well 1/4 of the time and dying in the bottom 10-15 the other 3/4 of the time, I should really stop doing that until my aim gets a lot better.

That said my 3 wins so far have all been playing aggressively and actively hunting people. The lowest kills I've had in a game I won was 7 if I remember right. Plus I find it more fun.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

cosmicjim posted:

No one knows how it works for sure but your overall rating is based on your individual win rating and kill rating. Obviously: if you win more / get further into the round your win rating will go up. Kill more and your kill rating goes up. Do both and your overall rating goes up too.

Basically it's a balance. You'll have to play more to get a sense for it but you should be playing aggressive but not so much that you're throwing yourself into other people's crosshairs. Press advantages when you have them- run away when you've lost them.

As for a general rule of thumb: try to stay on the outside of the circle until you're geared up. Once you have decent armor and optics try to find a vehicle, book it for the center of the circle and go hunting. Depending on where you drop you should have decent enough gear to go hunting by the end of the first or second circle. If you need better loot the #1 way to get it is by letting others loot for you and taking it from them.

Another rule of thumb: Everyone eventually discovers that this game is 100x more fun getting multiple kills and being in the bottom 50 than getting no kills and making it to the top 10.

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 18, 2017

chesnok
Nov 14, 2014
Does anyone else notice a real average player skill difference between EU and all the other servers? Every time I play on NA, AS or OC, it's like a turkey shoot, easy top5 or even a chicked dinner. But on EU it's like you're the turkey - you get lit up from multiple angles the second you leave cover. Dropping in hot contested areas like school or military base is essentially suicide.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Truly the corgiest of goodposts

chesnok posted:

Does anyone else notice a real average player skill difference between EU and all the other servers? Every time I play on NA, AS or OC, it's like a turkey shoot, easy top5 or even a chicked dinner. But on EU it's like you're the turkey - you get lit up from multiple angles the second you leave cover. Dropping in hot contested areas like school or military base is essentially suicide.

Is your rank the same in each region?

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
No.

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

Not sure how it adds up exactly, but I think the weights are, from top to bottom, winning, then top 10, then kills, and lastly knockouts

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Just started the game and my clothing is gone, EA I guess :/

Edit: Restarted it and problem solved.

benzine fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 18, 2017

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Fart Car '97 posted:

the number of times i've died because i forgot to switch a gun from single to after picking it up is p. embarassing

SMGs defaulting to one shot is dumb. UMP maayyybeee but the Uzi even having a single shot mode is very dumb and cost me many lives.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

lol I didn't know there were different modes of fire

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

chesnok posted:

I've had the opposite experience, where eu is like a shooting range for me & us is much tougher. I think it has to do with play times - there are higher concentrations of good players during "prime" times for servers, & I typically play at late night in the US, which EU is the busiest.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
https://gfycat.com/DelightfulSpecificArcticduck

This poor fucker.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Do you all have any recommendations on videos to watch for new players? Especially for someone who hasn't ever played a game like this.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

chesnok posted:

There's different matchmaking between modes and regions, so that's probably why.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Studio posted:

There's different matchmaking between modes and regions, so that's probably why.

how do you pull up region specific stats then? every time I play on other servers I thought it was just compiled with my US stats

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Senor Candle posted:

Do you all have any recommendations on videos to watch for new players? Especially for someone who hasn't ever played a game like this.

Go on youtube and watch aculite's early pubg videos. He's ridiculous at games so some of what he does, you're not going to be able to do, but he's very good at talking through his thought process and giving you a good idea of what to think about.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Tonetta posted:

how do you pull up region specific stats then? every time I play on other servers I thought it was just compiled with my US stats

There is the built-in stats page but there is also a third party website that scrapes the stats out.
https://pubgtracker.com

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Senor Candle posted:

I really like Wtfmoses guides and the way he talks about why he's doing what he's doing. He has a sweet buttery voice to which helps. I'm sure he'd agree = https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8OxLAr0vFtJrE_C-xXN6QA

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

rage-saq posted:

There is the built-in stats page but there is also a third party website that scrapes the stats out.
https://pubgtracker.com

thanks! the in game one wasn't separating the regions for me no matter what I did. makes sense now

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

cosmicjim posted:

I'm struggling with how I should play. The only "realistic" shooter I played was modern warfare 2 or 3 many years ago. I play Overwatch and I play it very aggressively. I live longer if I start on the outside and work my way in with the circle, but it seems impossible to win like that when I'm racing the circle into people that are set up.
That's how I'd like to play, too, but the current mode doesn't work with that, as you noticed.

I'd love some sort of King of the Hill mode, where the plane circles the outside of an island, forcing you to drop somewhere on the skirt and then work your way forward to some POI and have to try to hold it. If you get killed, you respawn on the plane. Something like that, which wouldn't require a circle. Obviously you'd need some motivation for people to converge, like distance based scores, better loot in-land and some such. Maybe multiple POIs around the center and having them shift occasionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Chalk up another stupid death to "I thought it was on auto"!

Horrible.

• Locked thread