Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

So my clamp on my Anova broke a while back and it got a lot of water into its internals. Contacted support and they helped me troubleshoot and got it working for a bit, even sent me a free clamp to replace the old one. Motor stopped working two days ago, contacted them again, got this email back last night:

quote:

Please look for the PDF file of your FEDEX return waybill, it's in a URL form found at the bottom of this email thread. Print it out and send the unit back to us at your earliest convenience by attaching the provided label to the package.

Kindly let us know once unit has been dropped off. As soon as we are able to track the package with FedEx, we will send you a refurbished unit.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you. We’ll be happy to help!

I'm over a year past the warranty expiration. I'm pretty floored with their customer service. so yeah, Anova owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

GrAviTy84 posted:

So my clamp on my Anova broke a while back

I'm glad they could get you anova one

I've been waiting weeks to say that

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

vermin posted:

I'm glad they could get you anova one

I've been waiting weeks to say that

:golfclap:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

In "health food" related news: http://www.bbc.com/news/health-40300145 Coconut oil bad.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Wait was coconut oil being touted as a health food?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Steve Yun posted:

I'm sure you could find someone who was saying so. At least, that's the last I remember hearing of it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Steve Yun posted:

Looks like you've never been to a Whole Foods.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

Is there any food item that some random "expert" hasn't touted as being "healthy"?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

You're a pretty bad Angelino if you didn't know that. It was like the coolest Paleo bullshit thing I'm yuppiedom lately.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Flunky posted:

Is there any food item that some random "expert" hasn't touted as being "healthy"?

Cheetos?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

You're a pretty bad Angelino if you didn't know that. It was like the coolest Paleo bullshit thing I'm yuppiedom lately.

My knowledge of paleo is limited to knowing that it's what cavemen ate, because one I learned that much I never wanted to learn more.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

My knowledge of paleo is limited to knowing that it's what cavemen ate, because one I learned that much I never wanted to learn more.

And it's not even that. It's more like what cavemen maybe would have eaten if they had access to a Whole Foods.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

And it's not even that. It's more like what cavemen maybe would have eaten if they had access to a Whole Foods.
...and modern food crops. Pretty much no modern vegetable looks anything at all like anything that would have been eaten by actual Paleolithic hominids. For example, a surprisingly large number of our current foods are from the genus Brassica---cabbage, collards, spinach, kale, rapini, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, turnips, rutabagas, and so on---and the oldest of these (kale) is only about 2500 years old (the Paleolithic era ending roughly 10,000 years ago). The majority of them were first developed by selective cultivation after the fall of Rome.

There's also the fact that widespread consumption of cereal crops was in fact a prerequisite for the development of agriculture (marking the end of the Paleolithic and beginning of the Neolithic era), rather than being a consequence of it, as generally assumed by people arguing for variations of the paleo diet.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

iospace posted:

In "health food" related news: http://www.bbc.com/news/health-40300145 Coconut oil bad.

Uh oh, I've been buying the sunflower/coconut oil mixture, guess it's heart attack time!

At least I don't use too much of it, but maybe I'll try something different next time I get oil.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

But wait, I thought butter was ok now anyway?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Nobody really knows. Eat things in moderation and get some exercise.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Chemmy posted:

Nobody really knows. Eat things in moderation and get some exercise.

How about I binge eat every fad food in-between meals at cookie cutter gastropub/new american restaurants that put out dishes with caloric values that'd shame cheesecake factory? Also I'll buy a fitbit.

Seriously though, has there been a conversation on this explosion of color by numbers style of "hip" restaurant?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

No you'd be the first.

*cautiously eyes thread altimeter*

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I don't mind them, because it means I can reliably find good beer, moules frites, and blood sausage everywhere I go.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

SubG posted:

... the paleo diet.
That's so last year, if I'm to believe clickbait headlines today, "Breatharianism" is catching on.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Big Beef City posted:

No you'd be the first.

*cautiously eyes thread altimeter*
Oh we're on page 666

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

rgocs posted:

That's so last year, if I'm to believe clickbait headlines today, "Breatharianism" is catching on.

Wat.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Breatharianism won't catch on because there isn't much there to sell and make money off of.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Coconut oil was declared "bad" in the 70s when saturated fats became the devil.

It was redeemed in the 00s when trans fats became the fat devil, the logic being "it's from a plant and it was trans fats that were bad all along so it must be good, because things must be either fully good or fully bad."

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Steve Yun posted:

Breatharianism won't catch on because there isn't much there to sell and make money off of.

Look at this guy who doesn't know about books (very high profit margin), $132 5-part Tele seminar or the $197 ebook + 8-part video program :rolleyes:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna make a mint selling paleo air. It's like regular air, but also has dinosaur farts.

don't @ me about what creatures walked the earth with cavemen just go with it

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm gonna make a mint selling paleo air. It's like regular air, but also has dinosaur farts.

don't @ me about what creatures walked the earth with cavemen just go with it

You can totally do this without lying since chickens are dinosaurs.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Tendales posted:

You can totally do this without lying since chickens are dinosaurs.

Explain this creationists

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Oohhhhh ggggooooddddddd fucks sake

The freezer, which I have been saying for MONTHS is over-full and for people to stop buying poo poo to put in it, I don't care how good of a sale it is eat and cook with what's already in there, was left open and now everything has loving thawed. Including the last of my home butchered goat and pork and chicken. I am so loving pissed. I live my life trying to combat wastefulness, and this just slices me to the god damned bone.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Tartare. Sushi!

Goondolances :(

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Cook all of it tonight, freeze the leftovers.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Cook all of it tonight, freeze the leftovers.
This, except the roommates.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I lost power and it was estimated for ~ a week with a full freezer so I did probably the most "authentic" chili I've ever done e.g. throw everything in a massive pot.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
We salvaged what we could. But it's a 20cu/ft upright freezer, not just the top of a fridge. We spent the night grilling steaks, putting shortrib in the ninja pot, frying off sausage, and other stuff. My stuff was in the freezer door and got totally ruined. All my stock too. :(

I'm tempted to buy my own chest freezer.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Suspect Bucket posted:

We salvaged what we could. But it's a 20cu/ft upright freezer, not just the top of a fridge. We spent the night grilling steaks, putting shortrib in the ninja pot, frying off sausage, and other stuff. My stuff was in the freezer door and got totally ruined. All my stock too. :(

Do this and put a padlock on it. gently caress roommates.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Suspect Bucket posted:

Secretly give them the food made with the ruined ingredients.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Unfortunately, my roomates in this situation are my parents. Happy father's day, everyone!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

From the homebrew thread:

wireless temperature probe that can text you when your freezer is hosed

$25 plus some AAAs seems like it might be worth hundreds of dollars of meat!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

+1 for chest freezers. They own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Suspect Bucket posted:

The freezer, which I have been saying for MONTHS is over-full and for people to stop buying poo poo to put in it

Truth be told having it stuffed full actually puts less wear and tear on a freezer. The mass holds the temp way better than just cold air.

Anyway a chest freezer is great and I love mine.