Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Karia posted:

Any ideas for rectifying this?

You could pack the end of the inside of the barrel with something like cotton so the converter is pressed into place and has nowhere to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Also, double check that you've got a metro not an MR.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Can I request some examples of awesome calligraphy? My grandfather, who tried to get me into calligraphy as a kid and was delighted that I was getting into it as an adult, passed away yesterday and the creative interests we shared are among my favorite memories of him.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Karia posted:

I got a metro a while back and it had issues with the standard converter slipping out in normal use, which gets ink everywhere. Thinking I might have gotten a bad egg, I got another one, and it did exactly the same thing. It seats firmly and decisively, no slop or anything. I do treat them a bit roughly, I travel a lot for work in some rough environments.

This is a silly obvious question but by standard converter you do mean a CON-20/40/50, right?

edit:

PEN UPDATE Y'ALL

The slowboat finally made it to port and I got my brown Pilot Prera (M). It's buttery smooth and lovely in every way. :dong:

I also picked up an old Wing Sung 590, because it looks kind of cool and I read a couple decent reviews. It's a janky piece of poo poo in every way. :smith:

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 14, 2017

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Can I request some examples of awesome calligraphy? My grandfather, who tried to get me into calligraphy as a kid and was delighted that I was getting into it as an adult, passed away yesterday and the creative interests we shared are among my favorite memories of him.

I'm very sorry for your loss. I really enjoy this youtube guy:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9GghjdVl7aFiIiet9G11w

unkle77
Sep 9, 2009

Please prepare me one of these... Chocolate Egg Creams.
Anybody else get an inky feed when their vacuum fillers are nearly empty? Both my VAC 700Rs didn't outright leak, but the black fins on the feed got very inky. Maybe when they're close to empty they're just way more sensitive to temperature changes? Or is my constant counterclockwise twisting of the blind cap forcing ink through?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I'm sorry for your loss. I've always been impressed by this guy, who used to post a ton on FPN. He had his own thread on FPN, until he stopped posting there for a while, and now he just sorta pops up in the penmanship/calligraphy section for a while.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I'm thinking of picking up that limited edition TWSBI 580 but it seems to have disappeared from Goulet. Any ideas why?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Lowness 72 posted:

I'm thinking of picking up that limited edition TWSBI 580 but it seems to have disappeared from Goulet. Any ideas why?

I would assume it's just out of stock, and they don't want to take orders until they actually know they're getting more. I think some other stores still have them listed as available, though; IIRC Anderson Pens was talking about them yesterday...?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Went to the monthly pen club meeting last night and got a damned cool gift. One of the other members there had a Montblanc Solitaire with an awful nib and I was able to adjust and smooth it write well. As a thank you he gave me this:

It's a MarteModena "Citizen of Beijing", made by Marlen in Italy.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

How awful would a 1.5mm Lamy Italics be for everyday writing?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Professor Shark posted:

Utterly dependent upon the paper you use.

Cheap office supply store paper? Bad experience unless you write big.

Rhodia, or the like? Simple and nice.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

A 1.5 is going to be very difficult for daily use unless you have massive handwriting.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
A 1.1 is about as big as I'd ever go for my daily writing.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Professor Shark posted:

Entirely depends on your preferences. I used to do 90% of my daily writing with a 1.8mm stub and loved it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Has anyone used one of the new clear Lamy converters? I picked one up with my pacific Al-Star and it is awful. The piston is stiff, it doesn't always catch when I start turning it, and it seems to be stopping about 2mm short of the top.

I think I just got a dud, but if it's just how the new design is I'll find an old cloudy plastic style one somewhere.

grack posted:

Went to the monthly pen club meeting last night and got a damned cool gift. One of the other members there had a Montblanc Solitaire with an awful nib and I was able to adjust and smooth it write well. As a thank you he gave me this:

It's a MarteModena "Citizen of Beijing", made by Marlen in Italy.

That's a handsome pen!

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
So a while back I was asking about my pelikan that I thought had misaligned tines. Well I couldn't tell if anything was wrong under a loupe so I sent it in for warranty service. Abi (who services the pens at Chartpak) was very helpful. Turns out the nib wasn't fully seated in the body of the pen and very loose, which may have contributed to the nib damage. I just thought that meant the nib was springy since it was my first (sort of) pelikan.

Pen writes waaay better now. And I got it back super fast - like less than week from mailing it. So, in summary, check that your nib is properly seated!

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

effika posted:

Has anyone used one of the new clear Lamy converters? I picked one up with my pacific Al-Star and it is awful. The piston is stiff, it doesn't always catch when I start turning it, and it seems to be stopping about 2mm short of the top.

I think I just got a dud, but if it's just how the new design is I'll find an old cloudy plastic style one somewhere.
I got one with my Safari recently, but I've never used the older cloudy ones. Mine also hesitates for a half turn, but mine DOES go all the way, so I don't know what to say. We need more data, maybe.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bobfather posted:

This is very true, and it’s about more than ćsthetics.

I got a Reform 1745 today (NOS student pen from the ’90s). It’s usable though not great on nice paper, but it excels on cheap copy paper.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 16, 2017

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

We just completed a very significant update to our packaging and I wanted to share it with all of you before we went live.

Starting immediately, all diaries will ship with something very special from us here at Musubi - an artisan's certificate.

That's the front of the sheet. It tells our story and is handsigned - yes, handsigned - by the artisan who made your diary. On the right edge of the sheet there is a tab you can use to mark your current page.

The back of the sheet is our solution for all of you who have been asking for lined and gridded paper. We've printed a grid with alternating strong and normal lines onto the sheet. Because Tomoe River paper is so thin as to be seethrough, you can tuck the certificate behind the page you're using and use the printed grid as a guiderail for all writing purposes - strong lines for those of you who prefer lined paper, and the full grid for those of you who prefer gridded paper or regularly write in languages such as Chinese or Japanese.

This certificate has been a long time coming from us. There's a certain warmth that comes with knowing that something was made with care, just for you. And it gives our artisans, all of whom have been told by society throughout their lives that they are not as valuable as persons without disabilities, great pride in the act of creating something beautiful enough to put their names to it.

The sheet is a very special, extremely high-end coated paper that will withstand day-in, day-out use, just like your diary. We intend for you to be able to carry it inserted in your diary and to use it constantly.

If you've ordered from us before, we will include an additional certificate for each diary you already own in the next order you place with us. Thanks for your support.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Kessel posted:

We just completed a very significant update to our packaging and I wanted to share it with all of you before we went live.

Starting immediately, all diaries will ship with something very special from us here at Musubi - an artisan's certificate.

That's the front of the sheet. It tells our story and is handsigned - yes, handsigned - by the artisan who made your diary. On the right edge of the sheet there is a tab you can use to mark your current page.

The back of the sheet is our solution for all of you who have been asking for lined and gridded paper. We've printed a grid with alternating strong and normal lines onto the sheet. Because Tomoe River paper is so thin as to be seethrough, you can tuck the certificate behind the page you're using and use the printed grid as a guiderail for all writing purposes - strong lines for those of you who prefer lined paper, and the full grid for those of you who prefer gridded paper or regularly write in languages such as Chinese or Japanese.

This certificate has been a long time coming from us. There's a certain warmth that comes with knowing that something was made with care, just for you. And it gives our artisans, all of whom have been told by society throughout their lives that they are not as valuable as persons without disabilities, great pride in the act of creating something beautiful enough to put their names to it.

The sheet is a very special, extremely high-end coated paper that will withstand day-in, day-out use, just like your diary. We intend for you to be able to carry it inserted in your diary and to use it constantly.

If you've ordered from us before, we will include an additional certificate for each diary you already own in the next order you place with us. Thanks for your support.

What's your online store front address? I couldn't deduce it from Google.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

http://musu.bi

someday we'll actually get around to poo poo like SEO and proper Instagram ads

Kessel fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 16, 2017

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The Seven Seas notebooks include a sheet of blotting paper to keep your pages clean and doubles as a bookmark, but this is even more clever. A bookmark that also serves as an optional line/grid guide (and emphasizes the incredible thinness of Tomoe River paper in the process) seems pretty genius, and I'm sure it's a great relief to not have to worry about offering every different cover in three different paper configurations.

I'll be putting in an order for two of them as soon as I can puzzle out which design to get for my girlfriend's birthday without giving away my plan.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

404notfound posted:

The Seven Seas notebooks include a sheet of blotting paper to keep your pages clean and doubles as a bookmark, but this is even more clever. A bookmark that also serves as an optional line/grid guide (and emphasizes the incredible thinness of Tomoe River paper in the process) seems pretty genius, and I'm sure it's a great relief to not have to worry about offering every different cover in three different paper configurations.

I'll be putting in an order for two of them as soon as I can puzzle out which design to get for my girlfriend's birthday without giving away my plan.

Thank you so much! My designers and I went through an unbelievable number of iterations to get to this point, because we wanted to get a lot of things right about it:
- how to tell the story of our artisans without being overbearing
- how to emphasise the things that set our diaries apart from the competition (glad someone got this!)
- and how to create packaging and branding material that is actually useful, rather than just being something pretty that recipients end up throwing away and hurting the environment with.

That's also why the certificate, which ships inserted between the cover and the endsheet so it's the first thing you see when you open the diary, has a large block of empty space in the middle. It's actually space for you to handwrite a gift note to your recipient.

We are still (yeah, we're slow) working on the box, but when you guys see it I'm confident it'll blow you away. The core design is a slipcase, with the inner book tray accessed by pulling a fabric ribbon. After you take the diary out you can use the box as a pen tray, or to hold letters, postcards and other correspondence. Unfortunately we are taking it slowly in order to get it absolutely right, and as a result it's still a couple months out.

Please write to me if you'd like to consult on patterns for your girlfriend's gift. I can offer recommendations, detailed colour comparisons (yeah we know the photos on the website suck, we're working on it) and whatever additional information you might need to make a decision.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

bobfather posted:

I'd mostly be using it on the lowest bid, cheapest paper available

grack posted:

A 1.5 is going to be very difficult for daily use unless you have massive handwriting.

My handwriting isn't that large and watching videos online I realized that the 1.5mm only looks good when using two lines on a page

Trustworthy posted:

A 1.1 is about as big as I'd ever go for my daily writing.

This is what I'm going to go with. I contacted Fontoplumo and they said they'd have them in next week. I might still get a 1.5mm or 1.9mm just to play with and get that awesome rusting/polluted look from the Lamy Petrol, but we'll see. Thanks for the advice!

Speaking of Petrol, FP told me that they had a large order for bottled Petrol in and were expecting it soon, but Lamy unceremoniously cancelled the order. Are they purposefully trying to create demand for their special edition inks, or do they simply not make enough?

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jun 17, 2017

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Professor Shark posted:

Speaking of Petrol, FP told me that they had a large order for bottled Petrol in and were expecting it soon, but Lamy unceremoniously cancelled the order. Are they purposefully trying to create demand for their special edition inks, or do they simply not make enough?

The answer is within you.

(It's both)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Some bottles of ink come with a cone that fits in the mouth of the bottle and acts as an aid to filling when the ink level gets low.

TWSBI’s bottles have the same concept in a different shape.

Does anyone know of a place where these are sold by the dozen?

They’re quite possibly on Aliexpress if I knew what they were called.

e: This Reddit post suggests using silicone baby bottle tips and also reveals the brand name: Ink Miser. It’s a shame they’re $6 apiece.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jun 18, 2017

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I'm sorry for your loss. I've been getting into calligraphy myself and have found it an enjoyable, if sometimes frustrating, hobby. I hope you find it rewarding though. Here's a relaxing compilation of calligraphy

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Platystemon posted:

e: This Reddit post suggests using silicone baby bottle tips and also reveals the brand name: Ink Miser. It’s a shame they’re $6 apiece.

Just tried this, it works pretty well.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Let me get this straight: Pilot made the CON‐20, which holds 0.9 ml of ink, and the CON‐50, which holds 0.6 ml of ink.

They then developed the CON‐40, holding 0.4 ml, and decided it obsoleted both of the others?

:thunk:

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I just refill cartridges for smaller pilot pens tbh.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I refill cartridges for all my VPs and Faber Castells. Can't be arsed with the terrible converter capacity on those.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Kessel posted:

I refill cartridges for all my VPs and Faber Castells. Can't be arsed with the terrible converter capacity on those.

Same for my VP. Only scrubs use CONs.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Don't post here much - more of a lurker - but I thought you might like this.

It's a Kaweco Sport, and it's cute, and plastic, and light, and very, very red.

Posted, it's a little larger, but it's still a small pen.

And it writes well, too! I like it - I needed a pen for the summer. Shame I've got to deal with those little universal cartridges. (I can always refill...)

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
From another lurker, I love Kaweco Sports. I have the mint green and metallic purple Skylines, and have to stop myself from buying another every so often.

The cartridge thing is kind of a drag (especially because apparently their converter isn't so good), but I can accept that mine are relegated to nothing but J. Herbin and such while my other pens get the fun ink.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Awww you even have a cute little pad to go with your cute little pen.

Seriously though that is red

vkeios
May 7, 2007

I love my Sport so much even if their converters are so bad and I wish they'd make a modern piston filler. Still it's my favorite c/c pen, just because of its cute size and shape.

That red looks gorgeous though and its great seeing some good pictures of the clip that I didn't buy.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I am very much considering getting a Lamy Logo. It can swap nibs with the Safari, and it doesn't have the weird grip that makes the Safari so unique but also annoying to write with for long periods of time

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I feel like the Kaweco Sport is a basically ideal pocket pen. Mine is clipped to my little filofax and fits perfectly, and it never fails to start no matter how long it's been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I almost got a Sport but then I thought “I could get eight JetPen Chibis for that price.”

I have four of them in my cart right now.