Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Buffalo's decisions of note:
Ennis is protected, which is bad
Carrier is exposed, which is bad (though he almost certainly won't get picked)
Nathan Beaulieu is protected, which is good
Zack Bogosian is exposed, which is good
Ullmark is exposed, which is expected.

paging that guy that said i was stupid to want to leave bogosian exposed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Loll at Stevie protecting Alex Killorn for literally no reason whatsoever

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

JawKnee posted:

that's a good move for Vegas if the Isles are as terrible next season as they were this one - which is a good bet probably

The Isles were actually pretty good once they fired Capuano. The problem is they waited til halfway through the season and the damage was done.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
*Yzerman trades drouin to protect killorn. *

*is an idiot*

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
The Blues protected Ryan Reaves for some loving reason ("We don't have a replacement for him").

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Remember when the Leafs signed Ben Smith again and people where talking like it was 4D chess to game the veteran exposure requirements and the Leafs were gonna make some moves.

Nah it's literally just so they could protect Matt Martin

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
This just proves that the tampa bay lightning hockey club has too much talent for an expansion draft and not enough for a cup.

Cool sitch there.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
I love seeing blasts from the past on the exposed lists. Apparently the Sens still control the rights for Nikita Filatov and Stephane da Costa

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Oh good, the Flyers didnt protect Old MacDonald or a 4th line grinder

Thanks Hexy

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Mike_V posted:

The Blues protected Ryan Reaves for some loving reason ("We don't have a replacement for him").
I would have rather protected Perron, but atleast Reaves is cheap

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Leafs protecting Leivo after literally scratching him all year is interesting, especially with exposing Leipsic.

Personally I don't think Leivo has a lot of room to grow and I was super high on Leipsic watching the Marlies, but he seems to have fallen out of favour with the whole org for some reason.

Rychel pretty much sucks though.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

For Montreal:

Official Protected list
  • Goalie: Carey Price.
  • Defencemen: Jeff Petry, Shea Weber, Jordie Benn.
  • Forwards: Max Pacioretty, Jonathan Drouin, Brendan Gallagher, Alex Galchenyuk, Andrew Shaw, Philip Danault, and Paul Byron.
Unprotected list
  • Goalie: Al Montoya
  • Defencemen: Alexei Emelin, Brandon Davidson, Zach Redmond, Dalton Thrower (RFA), Keegan Lowe (RFA), Nikita Nesterov (UFA), Andrei Markov (UFA).
  • Forwards: Tomas Plekanec, Torrey Mitchell, Daniel Carr, Charles Hudon, Chris Terry, Jacob de la Rose (RFA), Connor Crisp (RFA), Stefan Matteau (RFA), Alex Radulov (UFA), Brian Flynn (UFA), Bobby Farnham (UFA), Dwight King (UFA).

Mostly okay with the list, aside from protecting Shaw.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Oh good, the Flyers didnt protect Old MacDonald or a 4th line grinder

Thanks Hexy

they also didn't protect Mason

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Remember when the Leafs signed Ben Smith again and people where talking like it was 4D chess to game the veteran exposure requirements and the Leafs were gonna make some moves.

Nah it's literally just so they could protect Matt Martin

As a general rule, if you have to justify someone's decision making as so clever that literally everyone else can't see how clever it is, it's more than likely not very clever.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

JawKnee posted:

they also didn't protect Mason

Flyers are letting Mason walk in UFA

Unless Vegas takes Neuvy

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger

Flyers are letting Mason walk in UFA

Unless Vegas takes Neuvy

Although I think I would rather they take Bellemare

Dollars to donuts it will be Weal though

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Oh wow, the Oilers protection list is unsurprisingly exactly as I had it:

Kilza posted:

Forwards:
Lucic (NMC)
Draisaitl
Nugent-Hopkins
Eberle
Maroon
Letestu
Kassian
(McDavid, Slepyshev, Puljujarvi, Caggiula exempt)

Defense:
Sekera (NMC)
Klefbom
Larsson
(Nurse, Benning exempt)

Goalie:
Talbot (NMC)

The Oilers management is smarter than guys like Mark Spector who wanted Eberle to be unprotected. Despite, y'know, actually having value.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Shawn Cotureier posted:

Please take MacDonald

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger

Please take MacDonald

Even GMGM isn't THAT dumb

E: They could also sign MDZ before 7/1 I think and that would count as their pick from the Flyers?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

"Smarter than Mark Spector" is one low-rear end bar

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

A bar so low you gotta dig a ditch for it

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
lol ken holland protected nick loving jensen who even cares anymore

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Wonder if vegas goes for Ullmark from the Sabres. He's supposed to be pretty promising, right?

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Shawn Cotureier posted:

Weal is a UFA. I'm betting it's Raffl.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

coyotes protected luke schenn over burmistrov and 2 other guys

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Excited for a year of Red Wings beat writers praising Men Holland giving up Mrazek for nothing, once Howard gets injured.

Our real future is Jared Coreau

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

JawKnee posted:

Wonder if vegas goes for Ullmark from the Sabres. He's supposed to be pretty promising, right?

Yeah, he's probably the 2nd most-likely person to be chosen in my opinion. I think Vegas ultimately chooses Moulson due to the extremely close family relationship with McPhee (Matt Moulson's son is literally named George after George McPhee, who also happens to be the godfather of his son as well) and the fact that he's an extremely good locker room guy and potential captain. He'll probably continue to pot about 20 goals per year for the next couple years as well.

fwiw, my top four most likely candidates to be chosen are 1) moulson, 2) ullmark, 3) bogosian, 4) carrier

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm ready for the Vegas
*puts on golden Knight shirt

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/876460915926945792

A short list.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Teemu Pokemon posted:

lol ken holland protected nick loving jensen who even cares anymore

It's more of a pathetic reminder of Detroit's defense that the only case for not protecting Jensen is Xavier Ouellet, who is ehhhhhhhhhhhhh

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
So what's the story with Bobby Ryan? He's not protected, he has a NMC and there was nothing about him waiving.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

i am the bird posted:

It's more of a pathetic reminder of Detroit's defense that the only case for not protecting Jensen is Xavier Ouellet, who is ehhhhhhhhhhhhh

It just reinforces the fact that they lost Marchenko for nothing, traded for McIlrath rather than more picks, and that Holland clearly didn't loving learn from Brian Lashoff. He mid-season extended and protected a future full-time Griffin because he's literally loving retarded

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Ken Holland Thinks Nick Jensen Is A Long Term Solution On The Blue Line is the working title of my suicide note

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015
I mean there is only like 4 good players on the Wings. I don't think there was any real chance that Howard would have been selected by Vegas anyway and Mrazek has been a mixed bag at best. You're right in the fact that Detroit media will say he's playing 3D chess or maybe even prep for some Mrazek is a headcase rumors if they haven't already started.

Long story short Wings suck, as long they protected Mantha and AA and get something for Green that's a step in the right direction. Teams boned as long as Holland is making the choices so idk hope the new arena is nice and pray something good comes from GR.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Teemu Pokemon posted:

It just reinforces the fact that they lost Marchenko for nothing, traded for McIlrath rather than more picks, and that Holland clearly didn't loving learn from Brian Lashoff. He mid-season extended and protected a future full-time Griffin because he's literally loving retarded

None of these dudes are worth anything. After Green and DeKeyser, the third pick means nothing. Detroit's defense is wretched.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Not waiving and protecting Marchenko, even if it was just to trade him when he clearly had enough value for a team to actually claim him on waivers, which never happens because NHL GMs are colluding wimps, might indicate that Ken Holland might have an outside infinitesimal chance at not burying this team in the dirt for the next decade. We're pretty clearly staring down the barrel of a 5y/20m contract for Nick loving Jensen in 2019 and that is so goddamn defeating. The fact that there was "no one better to protect" is immaterial

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Shawn Cotureier posted:

No Brock Nelson?

I don't mind them protecting Laughton, he's younger than Raffl, has a longer deal and shows they still have some faith in him becoming a solid NHLer

Yeah, it's just weird since Laughton's job was essentially taken by Cousins in 2016. Laughtons not bad, but I I figured he was done when he spent the whole season with the Phantoms.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Hmm, the knights could take a chance on Yakupov... or go a safer route with Paajarvi, or Perron from the Blues

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

MononcQc posted:

For Montreal:

Official Protected list
  • Goalie: Carey Price.
  • Defencemen: Jeff Petry, Shea Weber, Jordie Benn.
  • Forwards: Max Pacioretty, Jonathan Drouin, Brendan Gallagher, Alex Galchenyuk, Andrew Shaw, Philip Danault, and Paul Byron.
Unprotected list
  • Goalie: Al Montoya
  • Defencemen: Alexei Emelin, Brandon Davidson, Zach Redmond, Dalton Thrower (RFA), Keegan Lowe (RFA), Nikita Nesterov (UFA), Andrei Markov (UFA).
  • Forwards: Tomas Plekanec, Torrey Mitchell, Daniel Carr, Charles Hudon, Chris Terry, Jacob de la Rose (RFA), Connor Crisp (RFA), Stefan Matteau (RFA), Alex Radulov (UFA), Brian Flynn (UFA), Bobby Farnham (UFA), Dwight King (UFA).

Mostly okay with the list, aside from protecting Shaw.

:rip: Hudon. I fuckin knew he would protect Shaw. Then again, they got Drouin now so...

Vegas better take goddamn Emelin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
not sure why doug wilson protected 4 bottom 6 forwards while leaving half of the sharks' defense exposed

• Locked thread