Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Heh. Free development for our ailing/non-existent R&D please.

Sauber has been turning into those people who deliberately buy cheap property next to a race track and then spend a chunk of time trying to get noise regulations in place.

I'm not sure if that analogy made sense but it did when I was typing ' Sauber has'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

NtotheTC posted:

I watched a lot of LM24 this year. Is it supposed to be exiting? because it isn't. Wow some bad gt cars in a class noone gives a poo poo about had a slight battle after 24 hours. Truly the jewel in the motor racing crown.

Actually it is a jewel in the Crown in the way that monaco is a jewel in the Crown. Namely: it used to be good I guess and now skirts by on nostalgia and "tradition" while being dull as dishwater in reality.

Maybe you should look into formula 1? also mods?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Oh god, get hosed with the hilariously forced Sauber hate

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They are kind of right

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

NtotheTC posted:

I watched a lot of LM24 this year. Is it supposed to be exiting? because it isn't. Wow some bad gt cars in a class noone gives a poo poo about had a slight battle after 24 hours. Truly the jewel in the motor racing crown.

Actually it is a jewel in the Crown in the way that monaco is a jewel in the Crown. Namely: it used to be good I guess and now skirts by on nostalgia and "tradition" while being dull as dishwater in reality.

you need a new gimmick

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dont care about cost or regulations on F1 and im sure as gently caress i dont care about Sauber of all teams. If Ferrari is winning im cool with the sport, let them spend billions what do i care, its not my money.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Sauber Honda will be fun to watch.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Still think they need to change the name to Spirit and go with a retro livery.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I found out what Thierry Boutsen does now.

He runs his own private jet sales company based in Monaco and runs a bunch of lower-tier racing teams.

The older I get the more my desires shift from racing the car to owning a racing team.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Wirth1000 posted:

The older I get the more my desires shift from racing the car to owning a racing team.

:same:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I probably would've enjoyed it in the late 70s to mid 80s. Today it's such a precise science and you can't really come up with a radical concept that I'd likely get bored of it.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

1500quidporsche posted:

I probably would've enjoyed it in the late 70s to mid 80s. Today it's such a precise science and you can't really come up with a radical concept that I'd likely get bored of it.

What you're saying is that you want to be Hesketh and not Sauber.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wirth1000 posted:

What you're saying is that you want to be Hesketh and not Sauber.

I mean that's basically my kart operation so I guess.

Edit: Article on Suzuki's entry into 500cc class with a square four-two stroke in motorcycle racing, this is the kinda poo poo I wish still existed in racing.
http://www.sportrider.com/stroke-genius

quote:

The exhaust end-cans on the RG500 were modified green-tea cans. They looked the correct size, so I introduced this technology into the GP bike. The same tea company made the exhaust cans for the XR14 and updated XR22 model.

quote:

After each race the engineers and riders would sit down and hand-write pages and pages of notes on the bike’s performance and where it could be improved. These would be faxed or telexed to Japan, and I would have to imagine the issues and what they wanted. ... They would even cut disc valves with scissors to see if they could alter the performance.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 18, 2017

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

I mean that's basically my kart operation so I guess.

I doubt it, if you can't afford tyres, you definitley won't be eating lobster and drinking bolly

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Sounds like he could definitely afford tires but would rather win with a chassis-shattered kart on bald tires with a badly misfiring engine and you literally have to reach out to turn the wheels yourself cause the steering column seized up long ago and the exhaust is nothing more than a Tetley's green tea tin where he hasn't even bothered to strip away the branding.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wirth1000 posted:

Sounds like he could definitely afford tires but would rather win with a chassis-shattered kart on bald tires with a badly misfiring engine and you literally have to reach out to turn the wheels yourself cause the steering column seized up long ago and the exhaust is nothing more than a Tetley's green tea tin where he hasn't even bothered to strip away the branding.

please don't doxx me tia

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Wirth1000 posted:

He wins with HEART and GRIT.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Because I had a fathers day BBQ in my honour today I only caught the last 35 minutes of the Le Mans and holy poo poo it was epic.
I had to keep running into the house while doing steaks whenever the commentators got excited. Racing was great, no steaks were harmed during this viewing.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

NtotheTC posted:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/nico_rosberg/status/876335034923462656

Nico gives no fucks, looks like he's getting his midlife crisis out the way.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Nico is the greatest champion for what he's done to Lewis.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Who is the driver with the most grit?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

keevo posted:

Who is the driver with the most grit?

Lance stroll gets tons of grit in his car putting it in the gravel every weekend

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Toto throws Nico some serious shade (i believe the kids are calling it these days?)

Nico Rosberg: The Vicious One

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-4611948/Nico-Rosberg-vicious-one-clashes-Hamilton.html

e:fb

Ok, Ive seen how this thread constantly cracks wise about pro-Lewis bias in the British media but since Im in the US and dont see much British coverage of F1 I thought it was just a running gag. Apparently not that article is hilariously bad even by Daily Mail's standards.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Xisticide posted:

The accident that caused the damage was entirely his fault though so you are right in a roundabout way

I don't really think the accident was entirely his fault, he was almost entirely in front of the Manor and the Manor would have had blue flags to get the gently caress out of the way.

CoffeeBooze posted:

Ok, Ive seen how this thread constantly cracks wise about pro-Lewis bias in the British media but since Im in the US and dont see much British coverage of F1 I thought it was just a running gag. Apparently not that article is hilariously bad even by Daily Mail's standards.

The British media fellates literally all British athletes. It's what makes all British sports coverage insufferable if you aren't British.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
50 years ago this weekend: http://www.racer.com/f1/item/141565-50-years-ago-today-gurney-s-all-american-f1-win

My absolute favorite F1 car, so beautiful

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Lord Crapulus posted:

50 years ago this weekend: http://www.racer.com/f1/item/141565-50-years-ago-today-gurney-s-all-american-f1-win

My absolute favorite F1 car, so beautiful

197mph in this thing....

nope.gif

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Kilmers Elbow posted:

197mph in this thing....

nope.gif

Driving those era race cars in Asseto Corsa really gives you a great respect for the guys who raced them and the earlier cars. Basically anything pre-decent aero race cars are horrible to drive and I can't imagine how terrifying they'd be in real life at those speeds.

And yeah, those things are so simple and beautiful. Love 'em.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Schlesische posted:

I don't really think the accident was entirely his fault, he was almost entirely in front of the Manor and the Manor would have had blue flags to get the gently caress out of the way.

Blue flags really only mean that in F1, in WEC it just means "you're about to get passed, don't make any stupid moves." It's the responsibility of the faster car to get past the slower one, Lapierre's as much at fault there as the driver of the P2 car that punted the Risi Ferrari into the fence was.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Almost time for Baku to welcome us again. Interested to see how they navigate the castle section with the wider cars.

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jun 19, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Stroll will do it poorly

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
This is going to be a race between Williams, Renault, and Sauber to say which of their drivers is ill first.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I literally cannot remember who is racing for Sauber and Haas.

Ericsson, Grosjean and ? and ?

The thought occurred to me when I realized that Sauber running Honda engines next year means that they're possibly not going to be running as a pseudo driver development team for Ferrari. So I was trying to figure out who they'd drop for a possible Japanese pay driver. I was also trying to figure out who might be slotted in at Haas if they were to take Sauber's place as a Ferrari driver development team.

Edit: Magnussen and Wehrlein. I actually had to look it up.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Haas are already Ferrari's development team. K-mag got slotted in there in a hurry because they had been grooming Gutierrez and then realised that he really was poo poo after all. One or both of the Haas drivers are gone, k-mag will be dropped like a rock but Grossjean would end up with a NASCAR drive.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Xisticide posted:

Blue flags really only mean that in F1, in WEC it just means "you're about to get passed, don't make any stupid moves." It's the responsibility of the faster car to get past the slower one, Lapierre's as much at fault there as the driver of the P2 car that punted the Risi Ferrari into the fence was.

Lapierre thought he was past it and lifted off to harvest energy for the battery. The P2 car didn't have to lift off and appeared not to know P1 cars did that and kept going.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Hey guys, murder me if this happens: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/opinion-f1-mclaren-alfa-romeo-919226/

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

So is Baku going to have the hilarious pictures of nice buildings hung up in front of the terrible looking buildings again?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Oh no not a good rear end engine.

Would be really weird though.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I know Carlo loved dogs but taking in McLaren is a step too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Apparently Kubica is not an option for Renault?

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-kubica-not-list-renault-seat-919151

Silly season is going to be rightfully silly this year.

• Locked thread