Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Here's a thought.

6 straight days. 8 hour shifts. 90 degree days outside with a barely working AC.

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

iospace posted:

Here's a thought.

6 straight days. 8 hour shifts. 90 degree days outside with a barely working AC.

:suicide:

Have you become an accomplished hunter/gatherer?

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
i cut off part of my fingertip chiffonading basil yesterday lol

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

As long as I don't gently caress up my tasting tomorrow, I'll be taking a sweet exec banquet sous position that pays better and doesn't have poo poo hours.

If I only knew how to cook.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

As long as I don't gently caress up my tasting tomorrow, I'll be taking a sweet exec banquet sous position that pays better and doesn't have poo poo hours.

Study up tonight. Learn how to.... pan? food. You'll rock it, I have faith.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Stack food in the middle of the plate, spread sauces around it. You're welcome.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Good luck duder. I believe in you.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Its gonna be so goddamned stupid when you leave, lmao

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

Its gonna be so goddamned stupid when you leave, lmao

You're gonna be either supervisor or sous, I guarantee it, lolololololol. Because hash brown isn't getting sous.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I don't want that! I am running out of nice ways to tell y'all I really, really don't want that! I don't want to be the immediate subordinate to the guy who sees 30-odd key lime pie slices come back and says, in total earnest "hey this icing is good! cut the florets off the top and ~~Make Something~~ out of it! this is a good idea, yeah? *walks off assured its a good idea independent of confirmation whether it is or is not*" I don't want to be answerable in any capacity for the failings of a stupid STUPID loving guy who likes the special "but maybe change the shape of the fish, yeah? Yeah. *walks away assured we can just change the shape of the fish*" I don't want to be the one who does all that poo poo, while the absolute worst exec I have ever worked with in my life takes all the credit for whatever silk purses I can frantically cobble together out of a kitchen full of sow's ears when between SB4 and attrition/churn one hundred percent of our actual talent is in jeopardy in a two month timeframe because when you die there is no score screen scrolling blandly across what used to be your vision giving you a bonus for putting up with that for any length of time.

I do not want that even more than i want $40k a year. that $40k means i just buy an Epic Gun to shove under my chin after more than a month of that.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

If it makes you feel any better, I got the job, and they actually gave what I asked for, and I get a 3k bonus after 90 days if I meet my goals.

What I'm saying is, get on Mr. Bones' wild ride with me.

e: for the thread, as it turns out, I can actually cook good. Whodathunkit.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If it makes you feel any better, I got the job, and they actually gave what I asked for, and I get a 3k bonus after 90 days if I meet my goals.

What I'm saying is, get on Mr. Bones' wild ride with me.

e: for the thread, as it turns out, I can actually cook good. Whodathunkit.

RIP Willie Tomg

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Thumposaurus posted:

RIP Willie Tomg

He was a good man.... But now he's dead.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Thumposaurus posted:

RIP Willie Tomg

But congrats CDC. Now live the hell that is finding staff for an omelette station in the morning and a risotto station at dinner every day from now until forever.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Naelyan posted:

But congrats CDC. Now live the hell that is finding staff for an omelette station in the morning and a risotto station at dinner every day from now until forever.

Hahahahaha. We don't have an omelette station. A la carte or banquet functions only. I have nothing but Rational ovens, and approx $50k a month for equipment purchases. And I've got a 2nd banquet kitchen opening in January with a new expansion with 60k square feet of meeting and banquet space, increasing our yearly F&B revenue to 50mil.

I did it guys, I hit the mid-career jackpot.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hahahahaha. We don't have an omelette station. A la carte or banquet functions only. I have nothing but Rational ovens, and approx $50k a month for equipment purchases. And I've got a 2nd banquet kitchen opening in January with a new expansion with 60k square feet of meeting and banquet space, increasing our yearly F&B revenue to 50mil.

Do you need any servers? :heysexy:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

iospace posted:

Do you need any servers? :heysexy:

Yep

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

I'm in love with Rationals :bigtran:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Congrats dude. You deserve it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Holy poo poo dude, congrats.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Our GM is on vacation for a week, and it's very unlikely our annoying rear end DM will turn up, since the GM is "testing" us to see if we collapse when she leaves (we generally don't because we are, in large part, not complete idiots).

This is relevant largely because for the first time in three months it won't be 85 degrees in the entire back half of the restaurant, since she won't be controlling the temperature. She's 5'9", the general shape of a toothpick and apparently cold-blooded, so the AC is happily cranked to 80-85 at all times. It's central Texas in June so not dying of heatstroke is kind of important

Also CDC if you need a faithful robot to clean and organize things on a control freak OCD level while being really good at following orders, I'm in

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Our manager just returned at my store. We had a trainee who, for lack of better words, had her priorities backwards, in probably the best way possible. She was more focused on keeping the store presentable than focusing on customers.

She ended up quitting when the boss returned, go figure.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

iospace posted:

Our manager just returned at my store. We had a trainee who, for lack of better words, had her priorities backwards, in probably the best way possible. She was more focused on keeping the store presentable than focusing on customers.

She ended up quitting when the boss returned, go figure.

That's kinda my problem too. :( My weird laser focus tends to be on efficiency/inventory/presentation rather than on customers, but I work entirely dinner/nights and am the only one who can close the line/front half of the kitchen worth a drat (because I've done it five nights a week since we opened), which is where my particular talents shine. I'm not -awful- with customers, but it's not really my strong point. Luckily we have a niche that I fit in, I'm not sure how it would fly other places though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

TheKennedys posted:

That's kinda my problem too. :( My weird laser focus tends to be on efficiency/inventory/presentation rather than on customers, but I work entirely dinner/nights and am the only one who can close the line/front half of the kitchen worth a drat (because I've done it five nights a week since we opened), which is where my particular talents shine. I'm not -awful- with customers, but it's not really my strong point. Luckily we have a niche that I fit in, I'm not sure how it would fly other places though.

At least you're admitting to it. When I called her out on it she said I was being rude, and I just laughed to myself going "you don't know what rude is dear" because the boss, while awesome, has low tolerance for work related BS.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

iospace posted:

At least you're admitting to it. When I called her out on it she said I was being rude, and I just laughed to myself going "you don't know what rude is dear" because the boss, while awesome, has low tolerance for work related BS.

I'm weird but at least I'm self aware. We fired a guy after less than a week for not understanding that interrupting the GM to try to explain your thought process every ten seconds was really disrespectful, just shut up and do things, she cares about her restaurant, not your personal life

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

grats CdC :)

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Congratulations, internet friend. Seriously, that's an accomplishment and loving awesome.

I had a talk with my restaurant owner today that ended with us having a 3-month plan to open up a new 25-30 seat space because we're currently making money (the restaurant, not either one of us personally) so why the gently caress not. I'll be stuck making no money and working obscene hours in sub 60-seat restaurants forever! Huzzah!

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
"Well I don't the think anyone on staff is qualified to be sous" --the GM

"You aren't qualified to be GM, or else you'd know four people are, and they're all leaving in a couple months because you are THAT TOXIC you astonishingly basic bitch" --me

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

"Well I don't the think anyone on staff is qualified to be sous" --the GM

"You aren't qualified to be GM, or else you'd know four people are, and they're all leaving in a couple months because you are THAT TOXIC you astonishingly basic bitch" --me

F&B director. The temp GM thinks hashbrown can do it. Just gotta convince the retard chef and F&B director.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Yeah, that. Fuckin' alphabet soup. I just get sore that after so long in the woods I'm so close to having just a little bit more control over my life again and the two folks most directly responsible for everything being awful are like "hrm well i dont know if youre ready for this"

And like, you should be so lucky you overwhelmed fuckboy. Your almost-freudian aversion creating a department worth staying in is costing you horribly at a notably crucial time, and I'm not gonna see it with you because you smoothbrains took what passion I had for the industry and snuffed it! It gives not a launchpad property feel, but a catapult. Y'know?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I think yall should find new jobs. Just saying.

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart
Coworker on Tuesday: "Tomorrow's my birthday! I'll bring some pastries for everyone. Let's get drinks after work!"

Manager on Wednesday: "Uh yeah we fired your coworker because uhhh it's confidential. I guess I'm covering her shift. Also let me know if you have friends who want to work here, we're a little understaffed now."

This happens like every four months.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

beanbrew posted:

Coworker on Tuesday: "Tomorrow's my birthday! I'll bring some pastries for everyone. Let's get drinks after work!"

Manager on Wednesday: "Uh yeah we fired your coworker because uhhh it's confidential. I guess I'm covering her shift. Also let me know if you have friends who want to work here, we're a little understaffed now."

This happens like every four months.

So, stealing? Being high ar work?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I hate and love father's day

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, stealing? Being high ar work?

Probably neither since the owner just decides she randomly doesn't like people and fires them without notice, and then complains about labor costs when we have to hire and train new people.

e: also everyone knows my other coworkers are high all the time

beanbrew fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 18, 2017

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Are immersion blenders actually used in professional kitchens? I really want to buy one for myself after seeing a bunch of youtube vids showing them off but aside from making mayo or hollandaise it doesn't really seem like there's a huge practical use for them.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
they're also great for soups in my not-at-all-professional opinion.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Yes, immersion blender are used in pro kitchens. More often that standard blenders. We just use giant fuckoff Warings that can blend 10+ gallons of stuff.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Yes, immersion blender are used in pro kitchens. More often that standard blenders. We just use giant fuckoff Warings that can blend 10+ gallons of stuff.

Absolutely this, but I've also got a $40 black and decker piece of poo poo in my kitchen that gets used constantly. No sense in dirtying and washing an entire blender when I can just throw something in the litre container it's going to be stored in and puree the poo poo out of it (or mix it, or emulsify it, or whatever).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

pentyne posted:

Are immersion blenders actually used in professional kitchens?

JESUS GOD YES

basically every dressing and sauce are made with them.

Cuisinart makes a really good home model with plenty of torque for whatever you need it for.

• Locked thread