Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
New Rift owner, bought it two weeks ago mainly for my sim racing rig, where I'll definitely use it regularly but the resolution is not high enough yet to really replace a monitor. This week I spent some time setting up space to do room-scale stuff and been really enjoying that. However after all is said and done most of the software - as awesome as some of it is (Superhot VR) - is definitely on the lighter/gimmicky/tech demo side. Yes, the tech works, and I'm pretty convinced it's here to stay, but I'm not sure when (or if) it'll leave the enthusiast/sim niche. Resolution, cables, performance are all issues that the progress of technology will solve anyway, but on the software side? For example if there's no better solution to motion sickness issues than teleporting that seems to put a big restriction on the types and depth of gameplay experiences you can create especially for the most important "genre", i.e. any kind of first person action game.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Very very cool and if you are a big nerd with "disposable income" it's a great toy and a joy to put on other people's heads to see their reaction, but in general I'd wait.

Edit: Also Google Earth VR is the craziest poo poo.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Try out The Unspoken as well as Star Trek: Bridge Crew if you haven't. The Unspoken is a 1v1 pvp game that does use teleporting, but it does a really good job of creating a game you couldn't do outside of VR, with each hand independently doing aiming/throwing/blocking and stuff like that. Star Trek is the best social vr game that I've played and does a fantastic job of making you feel like you're in a different place with a bunch of people.

Overall I totally agree with your point but there are games that are more full experiences that are less tech demo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
We're stuck in this doldrums of people afraid to make full games because the hardware is too niche, plus the people with the hardware don't want to spend full price on top of the hardware, and people who don't want to buy the hardware because there are no games.

There are supposed to be some more affordable headsets coming out this fall. Hopefully people will pick those up and VR will kick off some more.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Reporting that IronWolf VR is still awesome. Me and two mates just finished The Duel scenario where you take on a destroyer that tries to depth charge you and guns you if you surface near it. Slowly learning how to adjust depth to avoid charges and how to manage air/battery when you can't surface. Won after maybe four attempts, nice to have a scenario end without water rising up over your head.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
UK only at the moment, but it looks like Oculus may be rolling out a refund policy the same as Steam
https://www.oculus.com/legal/return-policy/

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Poetic Justice posted:

UK only at the moment, but it looks like Oculus may be rolling out a refund policy the same as Steam
https://www.oculus.com/legal/return-policy/

Finally, now maybe I'll give revive a shot.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

quote:

This Content Refund Policy ("Policy") is only applicable to users in the United Kingdom, may be available for a limited time only, and can be closed at any time for any reason.

AKA "We need to cover our asses real quick, but we don't want to give refunds."

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

EdEddnEddy posted:

Also Star Trek Bridge Crew is amazing as said plenty earlier, but warping out 1 second before an exploding star gets you while finishing a transport of survivors is always a satisfying feeling. One pubbie I played with shouted "That is why I got VR" a bunch of times after we did that. It was pretty epic.

As Helm, I've had this almost happen to me three times, the first it was spectacular. The other two I was frantically pulling the warp engage switch, again and again with no response, only to see the ship explode in a fiery disaster.

At the time I thought it must be a bug or lag, but now I'm thinking perhaps there wasn't enough power to engines?

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

AKA "We need to cover our asses real quick, but we don't want to give refunds."

How does this even count as a policy? "We will do something, unless we don't."

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Cojawfee posted:

There are supposed to be some more affordable headsets coming out this fall. Hopefully people will pick those up and VR will kick off some more.
Are you thinking about the Win10 only, $399 bundled with wand-ish controllers, inside-out tracking ones? Gotta keep an eye on those and the hacking of them.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

AgentF posted:

How does this even count as a policy? "We will do something, unless we don't."

I think they need to check a box on some legal form saying they have a policy in place.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I'm pretty sure it's a legal requirement to offer refunds for digital products in the UK, so don't get your hopes up that they'll roll it out elsewhere.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

..btt posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a legal requirement to offer refunds for digital products in the UK, so don't get your hopes up that they'll roll it out elsewhere.

Wasn't Steam's whole deal because of Australia and then they went "ah gently caress it" and just gave refunds to everyone? Suppose that has to do with just how massive Steam is vs. Oculus in regards to dealing with software purchases.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Wasn't Steam's whole deal because of Australia and then they went "ah gently caress it" and just gave refunds to everyone? Suppose that has to do with just how massive Steam is vs. Oculus in regards to dealing with software purchases.

European rules started to come in at around the same time as the Australian rules. Australia might have been the only country to start proceedings against Steam about it, though?

I'm particularly impressed in Oculus's rules by the "You must request refunds on the same device you used to purchase the content. You may not log out between purchasing and refunding the content" clause. That's an amazing gotcha.

Even so, the combination of refunds and a sale might actually be enough to get me to try Edge of Nowhere so overall it's a win for them.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
JFC have Oculus just discounted their entire store for their summer sale? Had a quick look out of idle curiosity and the sale page is ridiculously long

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

El Grillo posted:

JFC have Oculus just discounted their entire store for their summer sale? Had a quick look out of idle curiosity and the sale page is ridiculously long

Yeah, almost everything is on sale, and it looks like they will have daily specials and bundles.

This and Steam Summer Sale right after Sony E3 sale are gonna hurt me.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Picked up Unspoken, The Climb, Edge of Nowhere, Kingspray, Overkill, and Airmech so I'll try to come back with trip reports on all of those.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I really loved Edge of Nowhere. I suppose mechanically its a simple adventure platformer stealth type game, but the story and setting were superb. I've always been a fan of lovecraftian stuff and they did a great job, it feels like a good mishmash ripped from some old stories of his just... you know... minus the massive racism. At the very least, there are far too few polished single player experiences in VR. Chronos was another, and they've got that pretty cheap, really they've got a ton of stuff discounted I'm kind of surprised how much.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
My VR room was initially a nice living room with an elaborate wall decoration incorporating lots of fancy mirrors.

I now have them covered with masking paper like some sort of crazy person.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Bought a third Oculus sensor and tracking was worse than before with 2 sensors at opposite corners of the room. With 2 there was some light occlusion, with 3 the occlusion was gone but it jumped ever so often. Until I noticed the 3rd sensor giving tracking warnings and started to experiment. For some reason it only works on one out of 6 USB 2.0 ports on my motherboard. Doesn't even matter which devices are connected to all the other ports, just that one single port does it. Weird.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

GhostDog posted:

Bought a third Oculus sensor and tracking was worse than before with 2 sensors at opposite corners of the room. With 2 there was some light occlusion, with 3 the occlusion was gone but it jumped ever so often. Until I noticed the 3rd sensor giving tracking warnings and started to experiment. For some reason it only works on one out of 6 USB 2.0 ports on my motherboard. Doesn't even matter which devices are connected to all the other ports, just that one single port does it. Weird.
My best guess is that you are overwhelming your USB chipset, apparently many of them are quite terrible and can't deal with more than one device running at the rated speed. Or sometime even one device.

Is it an ASMedia USB chipset, by chance? A lot of people have reported problems with them on Oculus/Vive (such as constantly losing tracking).

Easiest remedy is to buy a PCI card with a few USB ports on it. Though you need to make sure that too doesn't have an ASMedia chipset.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Couldn't figure out the controller for the 2.0 ports, Gigabyte only list the 3.0 controller as NEC D720200. I already bought a 4x 3.0 card because I was missing one 3.0 port, and of course on that one I can only use one port for reasons? Right now that's just enough, it works, not going to touch or buy anything any more until later this year when I'll upgrade, I wanted to move past my i7-2600 for a while anyway. Guess I'm going to have to pay attention to USB port configuration the first time ever when buying a motherboard.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

USB2 ports are probably just the Intel controller built into the chipset. USB2 is mature enough that there shouldn't be any issues regardless of the controller used, but hey, poo poo happens. Regardless, you should have fewer issues on a newer motherboard, and you might even be able to run all three cameras off of USB3 once you upgrade if you keep that USB3 card.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
I have only had a vive for a week now but I spent today playing Holoball and Pavlov VR. Mostly Pavlov. It's really tricky getting used to movement with a touchpad but I think I am going to be able to do it without too much nausea in the future. By the time I stopped playing I was mostly good. Although I did notice that if I walked out of a second story window, even telling myself I wasn't really going to fall, I would still get a strange adrenaline response in my legs like I was bracing for impact. I really wonder what extended periods of this is going to do to my nervous system.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

We're stuck in this doldrums of people afraid to make full games because the hardware is too niche, plus the people with the hardware don't want to spend full price on top of the hardware, and people who don't want to buy the hardware because there are no games.

But Skyrim VR, Doom VFG, and Fallout 4 VR are officially announced. Also there's Star Trek bridge crew which I've played for 20 hours and I still want more Star Trek.

Also in my opinion VR is growing slowly but at a very steady pace. Vive sold like 190k units in the first quarter of 2017 which is impressive especially for something that needs an expensive PC.

I think VR is doing alright and won't fizzle out.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 18, 2017

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Helter Skelter posted:

USB2 ports are probably just the Intel controller built into the chipset. USB2 is mature enough that there shouldn't be any issues regardless of the controller used, but hey, poo poo happens. Regardless, you should have fewer issues on a newer motherboard, and you might even be able to run all three cameras off of USB3 once you upgrade if you keep that USB3 card.

I don't even see the point in bothering with all USB3, I used to have 3 set up all connected to usb3, but when i moved and set up a dedicated VR room my other usb3 cable wasn't long enough any more so i switched one to 2.0 and my tracking is even better (though thats more to do i'm sure with the better positioning). Still, I've got my full room tracked from head to foot everywhere perfectly so I don't even know what more you'd get.

Anyways, so, hey. I posted last year a bunch about photogrammetry after learning how accessible it could be from Pi Mu Rho, and I thought I would offer a little update in case anyone is curious about photogrammetry from the complete idiot amateur experience. I could get my previous scenes to work in valve's destinations (now just SteamVR home) but I wasn't happy with all the limitations of valve's program. Namely the graphical adjustments they did for performance that made complex scenes look bad, lack of some little bits of flair, and most importantly the reliance on being tied to steam and not being able to have a stand alone exe I could send someone, or even a non VR build to send to folks. I decided to try and figure out how to use unreal, as it looked like the most accessible. Boy was that hard for a novice thats never done any development work of any kind...

Using unreal's VR bluprints was easy enough, but i've spent the last months and months on and off trying to figure out one thing after another that has had me completely stumped. How to make the textures unlit, how to remove all the post processing unreal throws onto everything (which was a right pain), how to create a mirror, attaching a model to your head so you can see it in the mirror, unrestricting the teleportation, and a dozen other little things that probably sounds laughable to anyone with even a tiny bit of modding or game creation experience but for a complete novice, uuugh. I also worked in 3ds max to repair as much of the geometry as possible that the photoscan software couldn't reconstruct. A lot of the 2x4's, the whole ceiling, some walls, a couple tables, the lanterns, chimney pipe and a bunch of other stuff had to be manually fixed and then retextured. Theres still a lot I could keep going over and over repairing, but at some point I had to call it quits after I had done 100-150 or so pieces of geometry. However at the end of the day I'm quite happy with how it came out, and now that I finally have a work flow I can finish building the other locations that I want to save for posterity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUzpRSuO8wo

I'm so in love with this because I'm in awe of being able to save a space forever, and come back and visit it again if it blows over, burns down, or is halfway around the planet. 360 photos are nice and that was my initial interest because i saw Pi Mu Rho posting about using photogrammetry themselves, but its such a dull, ugly, and flat experience that can't come close to having the actual space captured.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Could you explain what is going on there to someone who is a total newb?

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Regarding USB woes, I'm sure it's been posted before but I recently picked up this StarTech quad bus card after having all kinds of troubles with onboard ports (and the often-recommended Inateck card), and it works perfectly with four sensors, each one with an active 3.0 extension cable. It's significantly more expensive than other cards but it's well worth it if you're running into power or bandwidth limits. I did need to update my motherboard BIOS and chipset drivers but other than that it's been smooth sailing.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Ok wow that is amazing. I'm not the one to explain how he did it cause I know nothing about photogrammetry but holy poo poo--that is amazing. The future is here. The prank possibilities if you can get good at sneaking headsets onto sleeping drunk people

Also the idea of uploading your apartment/house/palatial summer estate into Pavlov or Onward or whatever is prettttty cool

Unrelated, enjoy the latest in lolocomotion:
https://www.3drudder.com/

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

mellowjournalism posted:

W....why do I want to sit down??

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So, as someone who has never seen it before am I right in assuming that is a photo of a cabin that has been converted into a 3D model?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

So, as someone who has never seen it before am I right in assuming that is a photo of a cabin that has been converted into a 3D model?

Photogrammetry is when you take a bunch of pictures of an area and then you use software to analyze the images and create a 3D model of and textures from whatever you took pictures of.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
That's really cool. I don't think I'll get into photogrammetry, but I've been thinking about building a 1:1 of my VR area and room (using geometry and props) so I can safely move around the whole room, then put a sniper outside the window or whatever.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

mellowjournalism posted:

That literally existed as a motion controller since the 80's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gg-SrWSFRQ

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

mellowjournalism posted:

Ok wow that is amazing. I'm not the one to explain how he did it cause I know nothing about photogrammetry but holy poo poo--that is amazing. The future is here. The prank possibilities if you can get good at sneaking headsets onto sleeping drunk people

Also the idea of uploading your apartment/house/palatial summer estate into Pavlov or Onward or whatever is prettttty cool

There were a bunch of these tilt based foot controllers at GDC and they were all awful, my friends who have never gotten motion sick in VR before were getting sick moments after using these. Also none of them were hooked up with any sort of intuitive control scheme with the games they were running.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Unspoken daily sale today, very neat game.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Wow, nice work on that!

Also, from your video I understand now how VR can trigger nausea and other reactions from free-movement. Initially my brain was thinking I was looking at the room through your eyes, then in the video you made odd "head-turns" and at the same time moving down, that my brain immediately registered as not being normal.

I didn't get sick but definitely started have a physiological reaction in my head that was a little weird.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

mellowjournalism posted:

I wonder how well that compares to rudder pedals. Might be a cool thing for E:D.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Less move-y but if you have a Wii fit board in your attic it'll give you an idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Why does the Xbox One Controller keep randomly disconnecting?
Why does it sometimes connect just to go immediately to sleep?
Why does it sometimes not connect at all unless I resync with the receiver?
What the gently caress is this piece of trash?

Edit: Apparently there's a controller update available, gonna give that a try.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 18, 2017