Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iverron
May 13, 2012

https://medium.freecodecamp.com/welcome-to-the-software-interview-ee673bc5ef6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I don't think I've ever been to a programming job interview where I didn't have to do programming in some form.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

"web engineer"

Iverron
May 13, 2012

qhat posted:

I don't think I've ever been to a programming job interview where I didn't have to do programming in some form.

I've been in a few. Granted those didn't seem great places to work.

Said programming comes in a lot of shapes and sizes though.

carry on then posted:

"web engineer"

I try not to judge titles given how many silly Developer titles I've seen / been given. I just turned down a "Programs Analyst III" offer.

Iverron fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 18, 2017

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if they don't ask you coding questions during the interview gtfo because that means they didn't ask your colleagues either and probably hired a lot of smooth talking worthless people

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

qhat posted:

I've had one interview like this. I even asked them near the end if that was typical for their interviews, which it was, but they assured me that it has worked well for them. i took the job anyway, because I'm a moron, and they offered figgies.

that place was a clown show in almost every regard

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Honestly imo from my experience both as interviewer and interviewee, programming interviews in general are pretty fair and don't assume obscure knowledge that you wouldn't need to know in the job. Often people who complain they get asked irrelevant questions are, miraculously, the same people who are failing programming interviews. I think asking things like implement quicksort and poo poo like that is a bit silly, instead get them to write a parser for something; but not knowing what inheritance is, or not knowing the difference between recursion and iteration, is utterly unacceptable. Yes, a lot of people fail on those last two questions.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The Management posted:

if they don't ask you coding questions during the interview gtfo because that means they didn't ask your colleagues either and probably hired a lot of smooth talking worthless people

On the other hand there are positions for which you would be the top technical personnel and such questions may end up comical: 6.5 figgy interviews for one.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Like those people who complain that driving tests are rigged after failing their 5th test in a row because they went up on the curb when turning a corner, lol.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

my github and my resume (and references) all illustrate i know how to write the computer codez p decently, like you can just go look at real actual code i've written

is it actually valuable for me to implement some code for some toy problem? not really

i mean, I will, but it's basically a waste of everyones time

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

my github and my resume (and references) all illustrate i know how to write the computer codez p decently, like you can just go look at real actual code i've written

is it actually valuable for me to implement some code for some toy problem? not really

1) Nobody has time to critically analyse your github
2) Resume and references, especially references, are always misleading

It isn't rocket science why these two things aren't enough.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

but what if you cheated

also https://twitter.com/iamdevloper/status/818476923882008576

I did find that interviewers cared far more about a couple of 20-25 minute blog posts than they did about anything on GitHub.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

qhat posted:

1) Nobody has time to critically analyse your github
2) Resume and references, especially references, are always misleading

It isn't rocket science why these two things aren't enough.

a resume and screen(s) should pare down the pool to a small enough number of candidates such that you have time to analyze their GitHub / whatever

I know that that almost never happens in practice (see brutal indifference tweet), but it should

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

you should be able to trivially solve those problems. if you can't, you are a bad coder. the code you write is a basis for a conversation about your problem solving skills.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Iverron posted:

a resume and screen(s) should pare down the pool to a small enough number of candidates such that you have time to analyze their GitHub / whatever

I know that that almost never happens in practice (see brutal indifference tweet), but it should

Sure I'll look at it if I'm interviewing a candidate in person and I want to find something interesting to probe them on, but not for more than 15minutes or so before the interview. And to be clear, I'll be looking for actually impressive contributions, not dogshit sideprojects that were abandoned after a week of development, which is 90% of githubs that get submitted.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
I've seen people get through a whiteboard gauntlet who can't write code and seen people fail who singlehandedly implemented software lots of people use everyday.

The recommendation from people giving the interviews is to take two weeks off work to practice doing interviews and study things you do not and possibly never will use day to day. If the interviews were testing something directly applicable to day to day work, this would not be necessary.

The worst part is half the time you get someone who wasn't trained how to interview looking for their preferred solution to their pet problem. Any deviation from the code they wrote for it ends up burning 10 minutes because they stop you from continuing to tell you you're wrong until you ignore them and finish your implementation. Upon which they begrudgingly admit that you were right.

Tech interviewing is a cargo cult and tech interviewers are garbage.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

qhat posted:

Sure I'll look at it if I'm interviewing a candidate in person and I want to find something interesting to probe them on, but not for more than 15minutes or so before the interview. And to be clear, I'll be looking for actually impressive contributions, not dogshit sideprojects that were abandoned after a week of development, which is 90% of githubs that get submitted.

how many hours per week should developers devote to side projects?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

carry on then posted:

how many hours per week should developers devote to side projects?

as many as you want, nobody cares anyway

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

of loving course you should be able to do whiteboard coding, but that doesn't change the fact it's a massive waste of everyones time that doesnt tell you a single thing about what someone is like at their actual job other than 'probably not a complete fraud'

if you're really patting yourself on the back because your pop quiz hotshot coding interview can filter out utterly incompetent frauds, lol well good luck with that

in summary:

leper khan posted:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Doing coding in person in controlled examined conditions is a waste of time, but phoning up someone's cherry picked references isn't. Gotcha.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

I interviewed someone who listed their github account. It was 3 repositories, mostly copy/pasted HTML files, and no modifications. Why would anyone put that on their resume? If he'd been slightly more competent then he would have at least copied some real code, so a superficial look would have convinced an interviewer that he could code.

I also did a coding screen for someone who listed absolutely no languages on their resume. And hey hey, they couldn't code at all. No idea how they got past the recruiter.

I recall reading somewhere (possibly here) that being able to complete FizzBuzz puts you in the top quartile of candidates. I can believe it.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

leper khan posted:

I've seen people get through a whiteboard gauntlet who can't write code and seen people fail who singlehandedly implemented software lots of people use everyday.

The recommendation from people giving the interviews is to take two weeks off work to practice doing interviews and study things you do not and possibly never will use day to day. If the interviews were testing something directly applicable to day to day work, this would not be necessary.

The worst part is half the time you get someone who wasn't trained how to interview looking for their preferred solution to their pet problem. Any deviation from the code they wrote for it ends up burning 10 minutes because they stop you from continuing to tell you you're wrong until you ignore them and finish your implementation. Upon which they begrudgingly admit that you were right.

IAWTP

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

so what does the ideal programmer interview look like, then?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
like an interview for basically any other kind of job?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

JewKiller 3000 posted:

like an interview for basically any other kind of job?
in the thread about interviewing for programming jobs, do you think the majority have interviewed for other kinds of jobs

I interviewed for service jobs in high school where the interview process was "show up and be able to sign a piece of paper" but I'm assuming that's not what you're going for

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

he wants programmers to take an in basket test

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
hi there, nice to meet you! let me tell you a bit about our company and the details of the position we're interviewing you for. it involves a lot of x. you're here because i see on your resume that you have lots of experience with x! can you explain your contributions to this most recent project on your resume? how did you handle the problems y and z that often occur when working with x? what was the team structure like at your previous jobs, and how do you feel about it? at this company we mostly do things this way and use these tools, is that something you'd be interested in? great, when can you start?

the problem with interviews at places like google is that there is no x. you aren't being hired to do a specific job, you're just going into a pool, because they are hiring poo poo tons of you. oh and you're probably a fresh grad with no experience on your resume other than your stanford classes so my technique above doesn't really work. there's a reason google does things the way they do it... but that method doesn't and shouldn't apply to basically any other company out there. people just do it because the valley culture promotes this 10x programmer notion so they think they have to Hire The Best, but they don't know how do to that, so they just imitate google because it's google

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

JewKiller 3000 posted:

hi there, nice to meet you! let me tell you a bit about our company and the details of the position we're interviewing you for. it involves a lot of x. you're here because i see on your resume that you have lots of experience with x! can you explain your contributions to this most recent project on your resume? how did you handle the problems y and z that often occur when working with x? what was the team structure like at your previous jobs, and how do you feel about it? at this company we mostly do things this way and use these tools, is that something you'd be interested in? great, when can you start?

This... is exactly what a lot of programming jobs ask?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

fwiw interviewers aren't always looking for correct solutions to the dumb problems. The whole point is to see how you approach and deal with a problem that you don't have a pre-prepared answer for. I've seen people get rejected, even though they got a correct solution to the problem, because they either sat in silence the whole time or took a dumb approach, or sometimes had clearly memorised the question from glassdoor and wasn't able to elaborate on his process. Likewise, I've been successful at interview before even though I wasn't able to produce a correct solution. There's more to it than just a result.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

qhat posted:

This... is exactly what a lot of programming jobs ask?

sure, i've had interviews like this, such as the ones for the company i'm working at now. i've also had interviews that consisted of an all-day gauntlet, with one person after the other coming into the room and presenting a new shiteboard problem. no discussion of resume or experience or anything, just straight to toy problem live-"coding". and the gateway to this onsite fun time was... you guessed it, more toy problems, but over the phone/internet. no details about the specific position or chat with the hiring manager because neither exist

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
how do you know if someone is a good programmer other than having them write code?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

The Management posted:

how do you know if someone is a good programmer other than having them write code?

just ask them, duh

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

I think it's mostly just trying to quickly filter out the absolutely terrible candidates and then try to gather if they're someone you'd want to spend 8 hours a day with. everything beyond that is just unanswered prayers that they'll work out once hired

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

JewKiller 3000 posted:

the problem with interviews at places like google is that there is no x. you aren't being hired to do a specific job, you're just going into a pool, because they are hiring poo poo tons of you. oh and you're probably a fresh grad with no experience on your resume other than your stanford classes so my technique above doesn't really work. there's a reason google does things the way they do it... but that method doesn't and shouldn't apply to basically any other company out there. people just do it because the valley culture promotes this 10x programmer notion so they think they have to Hire The Best, but they don't know how do to that, so they just imitate google because it's google

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

JewKiller 3000 posted:

sure, i've had interviews like this, such as the ones for the company i'm working at now. i've also had interviews that consisted of an all-day gauntlet, with one person after the other coming into the room and presenting a new shiteboard problem. no discussion of resume or experience or anything, just straight to toy problem live-"coding". and the gateway to this onsite fun time was... you guessed it, more toy problems, but over the phone/internet. no details about the specific position or chat with the hiring manager because neither exist

I'll be honest I put little weight on things people claim to have done in their resume, the only way to know if someone can code is to see if they can code. Anyone can put poo poo on their resume and its really easy to be completely dead weight on projects. I can't count the number of resumes I've seen that claim loads of software engineering experience who can't write code.

If you can actually do the poo poo your resume claims then coding basic things shouldn't be hard. :shrug:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

There's a lot of people itt drastically underestimating how many absolutely terrible programmers there are out there

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i got the house. the landlord is super nice and facetimed us a walk through. it's bigger than my current house and has a back yard fenced in. just need to sell this house and i am out of the woods on this poo poo.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

qhat posted:

There's a lot of people itt drastically underestimating how many absolutely terrible programmers there are out there

and overestimating how hard it is to spot these people like a mile away if you put in 5 minutes of effort screening before you setup an interview

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I had an interview recently where they sent over a bunch of programming problems via email with a 3 hour time limit to complete and mail back. Nothing too obscure, write a parser for this basic html, write a SQL query to do this given these tables, write a recursive function to do this, implement these functions and write a bunch of test cases for them. I found that to be a pretty good way to tell who are imposters and who is not, and the best thing about it, it requires no time on your part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
ive never written a parser from scratch. who expects that from people when there's already good libraries for it in every non poo poo language?

• Locked thread