Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Chapayev is Karlsruhe and Myogi tier bad, and needs a huge buff ASAP, it's a loving dire ship to try and drive without stealth firing

MikeC posted:

What? Why? They are really good at that mode?

You mean the ones that immediately drive away from the epicentre and spend the entire battle sniping in from the map edge, which is basically all of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

NTRabbit posted:

You mean the ones that immediately drive away from the epicentre and spend the entire battle sniping in from the map edge, which is basically all of them

And then blame the destroyers and cruisers for not capturing rings.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
IJN cruisers are pretty fun in general. Then you get concealment on a Myoko and they get great. My favorite thing about the Myoko ( besides the massive HE shells ) is firing off long range torpedoes that just meander toward the enemy and kill something five minutes later.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

NTRabbit posted:

Chapayev is Karlsruhe and Myogi tier bad, and needs a huge buff ASAP, it's a loving dire ship to try and drive without stealth firing

You mean the ones that immediately drive away from the epicentre and spend the entire battle sniping in from the map edge, which is basically all of them?

Thats the problem with the players not the ships. Those players need to be banned from any mode period

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Bought a Kutuzov.

It cannot fail, it can only be failed ( or citadeled by a lovely BB at max range ). The guns are extremely accurate, and when I actually aim a salvo, I routinely land ten shells at a time. If I could hit superstructures more reliably, and if I could reliably land shots at max-range, I would be doing a lot better.

I need to work on my ability to land long range shots, and this is the ship to do it.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

You know, I'm one of those who tries not to beat on you too much here, but this is just idiotically stupid.

Current cruiser stats:

Ignoring premiums, Chapayev is #2 in the three most important categories behind Charles Martel, with it merely falling to #3(and never below) in K/D, Survival, and Plane Kills.

On a side note, looking at those stats it seems like the Charles Martel seriously needs a nerf, as even including premiums it's #2 or #1 in every category. Damage is especially of note, with it ~8,000 ahead of the next non-premium (difference between #2 and #2 non-premiums is 3k, for instance). Even accounting for the lower number of matches played, numbers seem overall too high compared to the others.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

NTRabbit posted:

uh

All stats are post stealth fire removal. May I suggest you "git gud"?

No but seriously though, the Chapayev is fine. It's good, even. If you do bad in it you're simply bad at playing Russian cruisers and need to adapt your playstyle, or you're gonna get loving wrecked in the Donskoi. The Donskoi is like a gigantic Chapayev that gets outspotted by battleships (yes, it has something like 12.5 km concealment with module and CE, meaning it gets outspotted by NC's and Missouris). It is also good, by the way.

oh and buy a Kutuzov before they remove it from the store, that poo poo is retarded

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 17, 2017

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Lord Koth posted:

On a side note, looking at those stats it seems like the Charles Martel seriously needs a nerf, as even including premiums it's #2 or #1 in every category. Damage is especially of note, with it ~8,000 ahead of the next non-premium (difference between #2 and #2 non-premiums is 3k, for instance). Even accounting for the lower number of matches played, numbers seem overall too high compared to the others.

It's pretty good, but I think it's partially an artifact of how few people play them. Only the Eugen has fewer battles (and it's way ahead of its clone the Hipper).

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

wdarkk posted:

It's pretty good, but I think it's partially an artifact of how few people play them. Only the Eugen has fewer battles (and it's way ahead of its clone the Hipper).

Yeah, I noted the lower play numbers, and that is definitely accounting for some of the difference, I'm just not certain it's really accounting for enough of the difference. I'll fully admit it's possible though. It also hasn't been out too long admittedly, so it could settle down. If it stays where it is comparatively there's definitely an issue though.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Chapayev has no armour, no capability of dodging incoming fire, can be citadeled by battleship shells from any angle, and is worse at doing damage and starting fires than the immense 155 Mogami

The first thing that happens every time my Chapayev is spotted, is a Yamato strips 80% of the hp with a citadel, and then before you can get away another cheeky battleship does it again, or a Des Moines finishes it off in about 15 seconds. It's amongst the least competitive ships I've ever owned, and immeasurably worse than New Orleans and Hipper, let alone Mogami, which is far and away the best of the 4 tier 8 cruisers I own.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Were we saying the Mutsu wasn't that great before?

Also: Prinz Eugen? Is it worth anything because it has hydro? Or is it just meh?

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Bought a Kutuzov.

It cannot fail, it can only be failed ( or citadeled by a lovely BB at max range ). The guns are extremely accurate, and when I actually aim a salvo, I routinely land ten shells at a time. If I could hit superstructures more reliably, and if I could reliably land shots at max-range, I would be doing a lot better.

I need to work on my ability to land long range shots, and this is the ship to do it.

You're in for a real treat the more skilled your captain gets. I only have a 12 point captain on mine right now, but for the first 4 point skill I went with IFHE over CE. Ez 95k average damage with it. I'm way better with the Kutuzov than the Belfast oddly enough.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Lord Koth posted:

Yeah, I noted the lower play numbers, and that is definitely accounting for some of the difference, I'm just not certain it's really accounting for enough of the difference. I'll fully admit it's possible though. It also hasn't been out too long admittedly, so it could settle down. If it stays where it is comparatively there's definitely an issue though.

The Martel has everything it needs to be good at farming battleship-centric randoms but not so much elsewhere. It's unlikely to be successful dealing with a smoked DD because it can't radar, probably doesn't have sonar (and it's not GOOD sonar anyway), can't torp-saturate the cloud, and has a mediocre concealment so it can't get too close anyway.

That said it's great at getting Witherer on Bismarcks and such.

Its AP is decent at killing other cruisers but LOL at that mattering when there's like 2-3 per side.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Thundercakes posted:

You're in for a real treat the more skilled your captain gets. I only have a 12 point captain on mine right now, but for the first 4 point skill I went with IFHE over CE. Ez 95k average damage with it. I'm way better with the Kutuzov than the Belfast oddly enough.

Yeah, I figured. I went straight to IFHE when I bought it, using the free captain I got from the PVE event. Still thinking about what other skills I want. The turrets seem good enough that I'm not sure I need turret speed skills. Super In would give me more AAA and smoke, so that seems like a must.

It is a really good boat, I just need to Git Gud at long range shooting. Pointers?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Minenfeld! posted:

Also: Prinz Eugen? Is it worth anything because it has hydro? Or is it just meh?

Prinz Eugen is just a Hipper clone. Hipper has hydro as well.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

NTRabbit posted:

Chapayev has no armour, no capability of dodging incoming fire, can be citadeled by battleship shells from any angle, and is worse at doing damage and starting fires than the immense 155 Mogami

The first thing that happens every time my Chapayev is spotted, is a Yamato strips 80% of the hp with a citadel, and then before you can get away another cheeky battleship does it again, or a Des Moines finishes it off in about 15 seconds. It's amongst the least competitive ships I've ever owned, and immeasurably worse than New Orleans and Hipper, let alone Mogami, which is far and away the best of the 4 tier 8 cruisers I own.

The Chapayev has the same 100mm belt armor that the Mogami does (although the Mogami has 140mm under the turrets) and is quite capable of autobouncing poo poo. It's got a bigger and slightly higher citadel though, so there is that. Really though it's about as survivable as any other cruiser - gently caress up and you die. It does have less DPM than the Mogami but on the other hand it has longer range and far better ability to hit things at long range as well as far better turret angles (one of the turrets on the Mogami is unusable if you're getting shot at, because if you unmask it, you die). The concealment is OK at 10.5 and the radar range is like a full kilometer longer than the detection range so when you get lit up you just press button and make the scary DD go away. Also unlike the Mogami it has good AA. It's a good ship.

Flamu even did a commentary on it recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG0QJBht3No

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
As someone who really likes the New Orleans I hope people continue to perform terribly in it so it can continue receiving buffs

JuffoWup posted:

So what is the current feeling about the enterprise's 2/2/2 set up? AP bombs look quick fun. And then there is that weird torp drop which I guess was considered weak and easily dodge-able.
Like you mean what the people testing it think? I don't think I've seen many impressions on post-AP bomb Enterprise yet. If you mean like from the outside looking in from plebs like me, 2/2/2 is a good setup regardless of anything else. The AP bombs look quite fun and the fact that it seems like you can rely on your DBs to do damage somewhat alleviates the problems with the TB torp spread. The bad parts seem like the T7 planes, the weird plane distribution (43/25/28 or 45%/26%/29%, as opposed to a standard 33.33%/33.33%/33.34% that a 2/2/2 loadout would have) that is heavily tilted towards fighters giving you less bombers to work with, and the TB drop basically being set up so that if you can dodge the first row of torpedoes you're already set up to dodge the second row with no problem. In the end it looks like it'll end up being quite a fun CV but you have to somewhat know what you're doing (assuming they don't change anything of course).

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Minenfeld! posted:

Do not buy this ship. You will regret it. If you are going to give WG money, at least let it be a Pay to win ship. Lord knows there are PLENTY of those around

Minenfeld! posted:

Were we saying the Mutsu wasn't that great before?

I am expecting Mitsu to be an above average pick this season.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
I finally finished the Kirov, and now I have two games in the stock Budyonny. I like it:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

TheFluff posted:

oh and buy a Kutuzov before they remove it from the store, that poo poo is retarded

Isn't it cheaper to buy it with doubloons though?

8712 doubloons in-game = $38.81 (store sale price = $40.01)

Forgot about the port slot... cheaper in doubloons if you don't need more slots, otherwise same price.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 17, 2017

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Kutuzov is amazingly good.

I won't be buying any of the upcoming cruiser premiums, but Gallant looks like a lock.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Yeah, I figured. I went straight to IFHE when I bought it, using the free captain I got from the PVE event. Still thinking about what other skills I want. The turrets seem good enough that I'm not sure I need turret speed skills. Super In would give me more AAA and smoke, so that seems like a must.

It is a really good boat, I just need to Git Gud at long range shooting. Pointers?

Yeah the traverse on it is good enough that you can forego EM on the first pass. The skills I went for on it were PT, AR, SI and IFHE, and I am planning to come back and grab CE, DE and either EM or JoAT with the last 2 captain points. It just takes playing it to get the hang of the aim and lead. You probably know this already, but generally try to aim at deck level on battleships and maybe about halfway up the hull or superstructure on other cruisers if they're angled in some fashion. Hold onto your torps as much as you can, I tend to use them defensively and they've gotten me out of a lot of tight spots. You also want to constantly stay angled, in and out of smoke.

I normally try to position with the intention of playing area of denial and holding back the enemy push. BB either run from your cloud or run toward it at which point you can use your torps to punish them for it if they charge in close enough. I like to smoke up near islands to use as a torpedo barrier and if things get hairy I can just back up behind it. When I'm out of smoke or have used all my smokes I just kite at long range like the tech tree USSR cruisers do. It's pretty easy to do with 19km range, even T10 BB have a hard time hitting you if you're just running away peppering them and wiggling. Don't be afraid to switch to AP if you catch a ship broadsiding, it's not US AP but it's still really good.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Beach Bum posted:

As a new Bismarck owner, I have definitely thought "jesus loving gently caress, fuckoff" at many an RU DD harassing me.

Generally for me, it isn't me yelling at the rus dd to gently caress off. It is more of me typing "WHY IS NOONE SHOOTING THE DD I'M TANKING FOR THEM?!"

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

TheFluff posted:

Are they actually doing that, after all this time?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
More Chinese nicknames for ships:

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/6hr8wg/shiptost_pt_2_some_chinese_nicknames_of_the_ships/

Gotta tip my hat for calling GK the Big Monkey.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Bummer, Hugo was perfect.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
"I'm not afraid of god-like opponents, just pig-like teammates." - new thread title right here :mmmhmm:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
PTR ranked trip report:

Played 9 games of ranked so far on the PTR, 7 as the Bayern (6-1) 2 in a Nurnberg (1-1). Most players are very bad as I gathered was the norm on PTR, but still some lessons to be learned.

Performance wise, mostly as I anticipated with respect to BB performance vs each other and against the other ships. Cruisers and Destroyers make up most of the top XP gainers. Non idiot cruiser captains farmed a lot of damage but its still a rough environment for them if the meta is super BB heavy. The risk reward ratio is just not skewed well unless you have a ton of cover. That said if you have cover you can unload very good DPS.

The Battleships sub meta feels different than season 7 so far probably because no premiums are around in PTR. Last season I felt BBs shot each other into oblivion really quickly, especially when there were a lot of Colorados and Nagatos that just blasted each other super fast. This time around, lots of Fusos and New Mexico drivers and they can't really hurt each other. Even when they show each other full broadside they just shotgun their shells at each other and little damage gets done unless they are around 10km. The Bayern against those 2 feels like an immovable brick. Bow on, I usually used just the 4 front guns and if I had room to wiggle, I would do 1/2 speed turns to momentarily bring my 3rd turret in. The last turret was simply unusable given the amount of side you have to show unless you have max range.

I rescind my comment about Bayern being the best brawler though, it isn't. In fact the most terrifying moments are sub 10km fights when you accidentally give full broadside. You come out 2nd best everytime. The New Mex's all or nothing gives the same insane citadel protection as German turtle back while horizontal shots are overpens on them but full pens on you. Fuso has a really easy to hit citadel but German dispersion means its unreliable. They are the ones that are going to want to do broadside to broadside brawls with you. Getting overmatched sucks for them. They have the potential to take a lot of damage vs Bayern's guns at any range. I was getting 10k volleys in against NMs and Fusos at near max range if dispersion favoured me.

After the first game went into full nose on slow creep mode and everything was laughably easy. I only had 4-6 guns to work with but they could not damage me at all. Most games were just me sitting near some side cover trading 4-6k volleys from front guns while they would maybe get 1-2k off overpens on the superstructure. And I reloaded faster. Many times opposing NMs and Fusos were forced to give up ground or expose themselves once they found out that I was just grinding them down 4-6k volleys at a time and then they would get out of position and get hit by the rest of my team.

I would seriously reconsider if you are planning on USN or IJN BB as your main ship this ranked season. Seems subpar. If you do, be prepared to load HE against nose on battleships.

Biggest danger was Cleveland. Was very very annoying in every game against me. I made it a priority to shoot them ASAP. Leander's seemed to be under performing. DDs were a rare breed, they usually just went and did their thing and I couldn't get a look at how each was doing against each other.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 18, 2017

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
My instinct as a German battleship is just to waddle into the middle of everything.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Sperglord Actual posted:

Are they actually doing that, after all this time?

Not as far as I know, no. Same with the Belfast, it should've been removed long ago but yet here we are.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
With 25 mm bow on Tier 6 BBs, anything with 15+ inch guns will be superior when in bow-on situation. That will limit Ranked games BB to Bayern, Mutsu and Warspite. It's just a matter of whether shells will hit or not.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
New Yuro, maximum torpedobeats
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1EhHKuD_jQ

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

TheFluff posted:

Not as far as I know, no.

Oh good, then I don't have to rush out and dump forty bucks on one.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Aesis posted:

It's just a matter of whether shells will hit or not.

So Warspite, then.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Aesis posted:

It's just a matter of whether shells will hit or not.
About aiming :

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/6hewpj/some_shell_dispersion_commentary/

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

NTRabbit posted:

Jesus loving christ. Battleships will citadel any cruiser because random bullshit shells dispersing into areas where they can citadel. No CA is immune to being cit, some are just slightly better at turning themselves into that area. That is where the Mogami is better than the Chappy. Otherwise, the Chappy has a ton of very good things going for it.

The Chappy is far from useless, and trying to say its weak because you get killed by Yamatos is potato-level stupid. :ntrabbit:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Protip: just about every cruiser is weak against the Yamato (although the Montana is probably scarier).

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Cannot figure out what those pictures are trying to say. If anything it makes the BBs look MORE accurate at 17km than 9km but obviously I'm missing something.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

kaesarsosei posted:

Cannot figure out what those pictures are trying to say. If anything it makes the BBs look MORE accurate at 17km than 9km but obviously I'm missing something.

It's about vertical dispersion. The shells are coming in from the left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

kaesarsosei posted:

Because Fuso's guns are more railgun like and have a flatter arc, when fired horizontally just a little bit of vertical dispersion projects a much longer pattern of shell splash. Meanwhile the NM's shells arc and lose shells speed much faster meaning that verticle dispersion forms a tighter pattern on water.