Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/vvanwilgenburg/status/876491887246487552

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

milk milk lemonade posted:

What's not great about America again. Why do white people love complaining so much.

You guys have the weirdest persecution complex about your country. America is just fine, it isn't going bloody anywhere.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Hexyflexy posted:

You guys have the weirdest persecution complex about your country. America is just fine, it isn't going bloody anywhere.

you forgot to add "now that Trump is here to save everything"

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Hexyflexy posted:

Wronggggg

Those homos and those thugs and those feminazis (aka liberal snowflakes) are trying to ruin the country and must be stopped.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Hexyflexy posted:

While being poor and white in America is not as lovely as being poor and black, it is still quite lovely, and continues to get shittier as low skill jobs are displaced and the gap between rich and poor continues to grow.

Why people believed that a loudmouth egomaniac millionaire would correct this is beyond my ability to understand others' thought processes.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Poor white people in the US are usually dumber than a box of poo poo, tricking them en masse is as easy as tricking a baby boomer

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Dead Reckoning posted:

While being poor and white in America is not as lovely as being poor and black, it is still quite lovely, and continues to get shittier as low skill jobs are displaced and the gap between rich and poor continues to grow.

Why people believed that a loudmouth egomaniac millionaire would correct this is beyond my ability to understand others' thought processes.

Have you heard of one Benjamin Ghazi? I hear he had emails that proved the former president was born in Kenya before being targeted for assassination.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Dead Reckoning posted:

"Not as lovely" being a shorthand for describing being in a better position by an order of magnitude.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Kawasaki Nun posted:

"Not as lovely" being a shorthand for describing being in a better position by an order of magnitude.

Even if I agreed that it was literally an order of magnitude worse, it's utterly irrelevant as an argument. "Oh, don't you know that little kids are starving in Pakistan? Shut up and be happy with your lot in life." If you remove someone's leg without anesthetic, explaining that doing invasive abdominal surgery, or both legs for that matter, would be worse will not ameliorate their pain.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Ever notice how Trump is obsessed with "losing" and "winning?" Trump and his trumpeters have the mindset that if someone is winning, it must be at the expense of others. So any time they see a black person, a gay person, a woman, an immigrant doing better than they did in 1980 (i.e. "winning") they necessarily believe that they, the white man, must be "losing."
If another nation has a growing economy ("winning") it has to be because they are doing it at our expense ("losing").
Trump and the deplorables cannot conceive of anything but zero sum games.
America was great when white Americans were winning and everyone else was losing.

There are two reasons for the obsession with winning and losing by Trump supporters.

1 - They are loving stupid. Literally. They are unable to understand anything beyond a binary choice. Either you are getting everything or you are getting nothing. Its why they call anyone who disagrees with any singular idea a "liberal" or some other version of the imagined pejorative that they have created for someone who doesn't think exactly like they do. Regardless of actual fact. Remember back to when Tomi Lahren got fired from the Blaze and devoured by Trump supporters for saying that the government shouldn't be allowed to regulate women's bodies and her being pro-choice? Thats the mentality of these fucks. It also creates....

Dead Reckoning posted:

I mean, in a certain sense, it's true. Previously, if you were a white man, you could more or less expect to have access to a job market wherein minorities and women were shut out of many positions, improving access for you. If you demanded that women, children, and minorities show you deference, society agreed with that expectation. Given that wages have been stagnant and job numbers have not kept up with population in some regions, access to limited employment resources may actually be zero sum. You can quite reasonably say that allowing minorities and women access to the full job market and all of society's other benefits is a good thing, but it's disingenuous to pretend that there isn't a loss for those who used to enjoy privileged access.

A situation where this may be true to a degree but a much more ugly situation has developed.

2 - They don't want a bigger pie. They want everyone who is not them to suffer. They will sacrifice success to a degree just so others don't get anything. Its not even gently caress You Got Mine. Its literally "I will give up X,Y and Z just to make sure that those people don't get anything".

Trump supporters are a cancer on society and the human race as a collective.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Let's go back to cruise ships and London fires, I regret my question.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Zeris posted:

update on destroyer collision:

deckies at fault
engineers blameless
:smugdog::pipe:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Genocide Tendency posted:

There are two reasons for the obsession with winning and losing by Trump supporters.

1 - They are loving stupid. Literally. They are unable to understand anything beyond a binary choice. Either you are getting everything or you are getting nothing. Its why they call anyone who disagrees with any singular idea a "liberal" or some other version of the imagined pejorative that they have created for someone who doesn't think exactly like they do.
Sort of like labeling everyone who disagrees with you politically a hostile mass that you call "stupid", racist, and "a cancer"?

Genocide Tendency posted:

2 - They don't want a bigger pie. They want everyone who is not them to suffer. They will sacrifice success to a degree just so others don't get anything. Its not even gently caress You Got Mine. Its literally "I will give up X,Y and Z just to make sure that those people don't get anything".
You're basing this on what, exactly? Do you seriously find the most convincing explanation for someone voting contrary to you that they're the lizard aliens from Rakka, except with diabetes instead of nanotechnology?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Zeris posted:

What do cruise ships and the London tower fire have in common?

The 1% wouldn't be caught dead in either

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

Even if I agreed that it was literally an order of magnitude worse, it's utterly irrelevant as an argument. "Oh, don't you know that little kids are starving in Pakistan? Shut up and be happy with your lot in life." If you remove someone's leg without anesthetic, explaining that doing invasive abdominal surgery, or both legs for that matter, would be worse will not ameliorate their pain.

Studies don't actually back this up.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/clas...820a_story.html

Rural Americans feel detached over culture way more than they feel detached over economics. It is a culture war, and while economics and the decline of the white middle class might play a part in it, framing it in those terms oversimplifies things. Being gay, being black, being Catholic or Muslim. A generation ago, all of those things were considered very bad in many parts of the country. Now people are being told that they have to accept it, and even embrace it. That's a major culture shock.

psydude fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 18, 2017

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Except that God Capitalism has always preached that the great thing about capitalism is that the pie can grow larger so that everyone can benefit without hurting someone else.
I share your beef with some of the underlying assumptions of neoliberal economic policy, but it isn't really a devastating comeback to why some whites might feel anxious and unhappy despite having racial privilege.

psydude posted:

Put another way, uneducated white men are discovering how much it sucks to be everyone else and are holding everyone else accountable for it.
Let's be clear though, pretty much everyone who isn't living on top of some of the greatest wealth inequality since the abolition of the feudal system are at risk for finding out how much life sucks for the global masses. West Virginia coal miners might be the ones sloughing off the tail of the wealth distribution curve into third world poverty today, but as computer algorithms start to displace white collar jobs too, a lot more people are going to start sliding towards the global mean of living off about $10,000 a year and where stuff like single family dwellings, riding mowers, and big dad lawns aren't really A Thing.

I feel like if it was any given Gipper's portion getting smaller, they might feel a little bit differently about fighting tooth and nail to maintain the unfair and essentially arbitrary inequality that separates them from Bangladeshi landfill pickers, despite their shared humanity.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

I feel like if it was any given Gipper's portion getting smaller, they might feel a little bit differently about fighting tooth and nail to maintain the unfair and essentially arbitrary inequality that separates them from Bangladeshi landfill pickers, despite their shared humanity.

Not really because the underlying problem is the greedy as gently caress dipshits who amass wealth to literally no end other than to have it.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Bolow posted:

Not really because the underlying problem is the greedy as gently caress dipshits who amass wealth to literally no end other than to have it.

And a system that encourages it.

Tax capital,

support labor,

I'm a commie bastard, etc.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Bolow posted:

Give me a billion dollars and I will immediately be a greedy gently caress.

Give most people a billion dollars and they are likely to be the same way.

Out of sight and out of mind. It's why we don't care to do much about the starving kids in Africa. If I'm rich, you're likely to be out of my sight and out of my mind if you are poor.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Ask someone if they'd rather have $20 and another $20 given to another person, or just $10 to them. They'll take the $10.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Ask someone if they'd rather have $20 and another $20 given to another person, or just $10 to them. They'll take the $10.

From an economics standpoint my $10 is more powerful than your $0 than my $20 would be if you also had $20. But most people would choose the $10 out of spite, not out of economic reasoning.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Two Finger posted:

update on destroyer collision:

deckies at fault
engineers blameless
:smugdog::pipe:

CIC lets out huge sigh of relief.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Well that's gonna go over well :thumbsup:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Missionary Positron posted:

This truly is the worst loving timeline.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

no jury in the world is going to convict whichever mom eats his still-beating heart on tv.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I take you away from inane bullshit to bring you this special bulletin.

:siren: We just shot down a Syran jet after it bombed near US forces :siren:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/18/middleeast/syrian-warplane-shot-down-coalition/index.html

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Bolow posted:

Getting rid of the rich isn't on the table in reality, but for a lot of people, all the non-automatable portions of their job being done by people teleworking from south Asia very much is.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I hope one of them shoots him dead and then starts a conspiracy theort that there never was an Alex Jones.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

ded posted:

I take you away from inane bullshit to bring you this special bulletin.

:siren: We just shot down a Syran jet after it bombed near US forces :siren:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/18/middleeast/syrian-warplane-shot-down-coalition/index.html

Ah good. Monday morning here, kicking off the week right.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Two Finger posted:

Ah good. Monday morning here, kicking off the week right.

I'm also seeing chatter about Iran launching a ballistic missile at targets in Syria. :getin:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I really don't have a problem with us shooting down Syrian planes.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Friendship ended with Bashar, now Mushroom Cloud is my best friend.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Casimir Radon posted:

I hope one of them shoots him dead and then starts a conspiracy theort that there never was an Alex Jones.

What proof do you have that there's a Alex Jones now?

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

psydude posted:

Studies don't actually back this up.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/clas...820a_story.html

Rural Americans feel detached over culture way more than they feel detached over economics. It is a culture war, and while economics and the decline of the white middle class might play a part in it, framing it in those terms oversimplifies things. Being gay, being black, being Catholic or Muslim. A generation ago, all of those things were considered very bad in many parts of the country. Now people are being told that they have to accept it, and even embrace it. That's a major culture shock.

I moved from downtown big city to the sticks in the middle of nowhere and I can say this.

gently caress rural "culture". Meth, pills and rampant alcoholism isn't​ a culture. There's no little farms left that aren't a rich retirement project. It's all drop outs, teen pregnancy, cammo and brodozers. I moved to a town of 4k people trying to avoid the crush of urban life, but now I'm super glad that most people out here are getting pushed out of their hovels by commuters who buy and bulldoze. Better than wife beating Harley try hards and lovely Churches as far as the eye can see.

And I live in Washington!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

BigDave posted:

What proof do you have that there's a Alex Jones now?

Somebody had to come up with all that stuff

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

Getting rid of the rich isn't on the table in reality, but for a lot of people, all the non-automatable portions of their job being done by people teleworking from south Asia very much is.

I don't give a poo poo if people are wealthy but they need to actually do something with their money besides just hoard it like a loving dragon.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Bolow posted:

I don't give a poo poo if people are wealthy but they need to actually do something with their money besides just hoard it like a loving dragon.

They do. They use it to lobby the government to gently caress over poors more and get more for themselves.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Two Finger posted:

They do. They use it to lobby the government to gently caress over poors more and get more for themselves.

Then I'd like it if our government at least had the common loving courtesy to not be so goddamn cheap when it comes to being bought out :colbert:

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I guess Iran lobbed some missiles into eastern Syria as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Bolow posted:

Then I'd like it if our government at least had the common loving courtesy to not be so goddamn cheap when it comes to being bought out :colbert:

They aren't. Congress (on average) is wealthy as gently caress.

• Locked thread