Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Without question, that's why I would have understood if he had retired after last season. If you're afraid of getting hurt, then you should just hang it up because you won't be competitive. I don't blame Jr for that, if I were in his shoes I would be thinking the same thing, but that doesn't mean it isn't frustrating to see him so unable to race hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Yeah but at the same time I can understand the guy not wanting to end his career like that. I think he can still pull out a win this year and make it a worthwhile retirement tour before slaying Brian France and staging a coup on NASCAR's top brass.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
"Thats a great crowd" - Mike Joy/Donald Trump

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
let's try and keep the politics out of racing threads lest I call upon a dark army to ride forth

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

let's try and keep the politics out of racing threads lest I call upon a dark army to ride forth

Donald Trump is a lot like NASCAR in that I forget he exists a lot.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Peanut President posted:

:agreed:

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Peanut President posted:

Unlike NASCAR, most people eventually remember him, though.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Can his election be correlated to NASCAR in that he's a fad which was only in vogue amongst casual observers for a few years before they found other things to do, then?

Please?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

CBJSprague24 posted:

Can his election be correlated to NASCAR in that he's a fad which was only in vogue amongst casual observers for a few years before they found other things to do, then?

Please?

1999 - 2007 was 8 years sorry

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Bullshit caution

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
How many cars has danica destroyed this year?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
In another sign this is the end times, she's had some not her fault wrecks

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Larsowns

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I just feel bad for Danica at this point

Larson win :toot:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

In another sign this is the end times, she's had some not her fault wrecks
She is clearly cursed this year.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

kidcoelacanth posted:

I just feel bad for Danica at this point

Larson win :toot:

No Kyle and no JGR win either :toot:

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Chip has 2 more wins than Joe Gibbs this year.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Danica needs to retire, there's no point to this anymore. She can't be having fun, sponsors seem to finally be turned off, and she's not even really showing any signs of improvement. If she was running better, but having poo poo luck, that would be one thing, but she's running like she always has, and has poo poo luck on top of it.

I'm not even sure what she can do after she retires. It's not like she has enough of a resume to be an authority as a broadcaster, she won't be a car owner, and she's probably burned bridges in IndyCar, so what's she to do?

After Pocono and Michigan, I have mixed feelings on the impact of stage racing on the flow of the race. I've been pleasantly surprised by the stages, they have helped more than they've hurt I feel. But at tracks like Pocono and Michigan, it feels like they interrupt the strategy without the benefit of making for better racing. Michigan is what it is, it's a big fast race track where the cars get spread-out. If you aren't ok with that I understand, and there have been plenty of bad races there (years ago, many of us here thought it was in contention for the worst race of the year). But it did have a distinct flow and strategy, and I'm not sure the stages helped. Now we have boring racing, for shorter periods, without the upside of any strategy. Yes, in the end there was some concern about fuel, but I'm not sure it wasn't a little less interesting because of the stages.

Credit where credit is due, Jr did salvage a top 10. The car showed some speed on long runs, and he overcame some bad late race luck, so I feel better about the team. If he doesn't win next week though, he will not get a win this year without some kind of unforeseeable good luck.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I can tell you exactly what Danica does next: endorsements with fitness companies and yoga stuff

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I'm sure some Indycar team would take Danica in a second if there was some sponsorship to be had.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I don't see her going back to Indy. I more likely see her going to IMSA in either a GTE or GT3 deal. Maaaaaaaaybe LMP2/DPi.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
I just don't think she enjoys racing enough at this point. I'm not trying to question her as an athlete, but even the most passionate athlete eventually loses the fire- and a career of mediocrity doesn't seem like would leave much fire left. She's in her 40s, would she really want to start over again with a new racing series? I think the yoga endorsement is the way she ends up going.

Nature's Bakery probably lost a lot of money on their endorsement of her, but they probably saved a lot of money by breaking the contract and getting the hell out. The return on investment with her must be dropping by the day.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

She's only 35 I think

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Danica is 35.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I'm sure some Indycar team would take Danica in a second if there was some sponsorship to be had.

I only see her doing the "500" as a one off.

Even then I'm skeptical she's even interested in coming back to Indy.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I feel kinda bad for Danica. She obviously just doesn't care anymore, and I mean even when she started the xfinity series she seemed like she cared a little bit.

E- she still needs to get her first win before Chase Elliott though.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Just learned after reading the last few posts that Danica was teammates in the 2006 24 Hours of Daytona with Allan loving McNish. That has to be one of the greatest ever gulfs in talent between teammates, right?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

wicka posted:

Just learned after reading the last few posts that Danica was teammates in the 2006 24 Hours of Daytona with Allan loving McNish. That has to be one of the greatest ever gulfs in talent between teammates, right?

Massa and Stroll is bigger, even if Massa is in his fraud years.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

iospace posted:

Danica is 35.

Point still stands, she's made her millions, I doubt she wants to start all over again when she's never really found success.

And I don't think it's accurate to say that she doesn't care, she been pissed at her performance. I think the more accurate way to describe her attitude is that she's "over it." She isn't going to put anymore of her best effort into it when she's never seen results. She's perpetually back in the pack where poo poo happens, and she inevitably gets caught up in it. There's no way the troubles with Natures Bakery hasn't been both embarrassing and demoralizing. To have to settle for a third rate sponsor to begin with, only to have them cut bait and run after one year can't do much for your image of self.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

wicka posted:

Milka duno and whoever her grand am teammates were.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah, it's why I feel if she keeps racing, she'll go to IMSA after this.

Danica vs Christine Neilsen in GTD. :getin:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

dentist toy box posted:

Milka duno and whoever her grand am teammates were.

I was also gonna post Milka and Andy Wallace. Milka starting the races out in Milka fashion before Andy took over and carved back through the field like a Gran Turismo seasonal event was sure something.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Unless she enjoys mid pack at best she should never get into another race car since her days of getting a top tier ride are over.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

IndyCar/Early NASCAR Danica struck me as somebody who liked promotion, both of sponsors and herself ("The/My Brand") as much, if not more than racing itself. Remember the accidental slip of a headshot with her in a firesuit with a Chevy logo on it on her website amongst all the speculation that she was going to NASCAR? At that point, I couldn't stand her and wondered what her true motivation was.

Today, I feel downright bad for her. Not only has her career never gone anywhere despite being gifted top tier equipment her entire career (even though I think she bought into her own hype), but it's been mediocre at best and the sponsorships which made her career have dried up, as Spitz said. The ones who paid lots of money to get her to where she is royally screwed her in the end (GoDaddy with the "personal services contract" they never actually gave her and Nature's Bakery jumping ship, only to return and put half their four races on Clint Bowyer's car), and it's turned into a nightmare.

The interview at Kansas was the first time Danica wasn't Danica, other than the arm pat. The most alarming part was what seemed like a case of waiting for the other shoe to drop, which was worrying. I'll be curious as to what happens if SHR lets her go/shutters the 10 team. Really, she needs to get out and go find something she enjoys before it eats at her too much (because it's clearly not NASCAR right now unless she doesn't want to give it up and tries to find a ride somewhere in Cup). Other than maybe another Indy 500 to try and prove something to herself, I don't see her going to sports car racing; there's an opportunity to win, but is there enough spotlight?

wicka posted:

Rusty Wallace was on that team, too.

e- Kyle Larson makes two Good Winners in a row. :toot:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 19, 2017

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Danica's fine. She's got millions in the bank and is still a celebrity who can make a bit of money doing other non-racing related things..

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/TonyStewart/status/876579368029573120
https://twitter.com/TonyStewart/status/876581208343314432

quote:

“I just wish, with the stages, I don’t know why they’ve got to throw so many drat debris yellows,” Earnhardt said on his postrace Periscope session. “The purpose of having stages was really because the networks want more cautions, more restarts because people tune in when we have a caution. They tune in a for a restart. That’s the whole reason why we have the stages to try to create a little more drama, so I don’t know why we keep throwing the drat debris yellows and stuff.’’

AH LOVE YOU JUUUUUUUNYERRRRRRRRRR. :unsmigghh:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah, stages are cool, as previously mentioned.

Phantom debris cautions, are not. It's drama for the sake of drama and breeds more yellows.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
What pissed me off the most about the "debris" caution was that they ran no less than four laps under caution. Then, when the next caution was for an actual accident that left a car damaged they called a "quicky caution" and went back to green in like three laps. It didn't make any sense and my wife didn't understand why I was complaining about the governing body.

Edit- and another sub 40 car field today, 37 to be exact. I'm sure NASCAR can't be happy that they can't field full fields anymore. I remember back in the early and mid 90s the field was routinely short of 43 cars, but I'm sure NASCAR didn't think they were going back to those days when they reduced the field to 40.

Edit 2- Jr is like a senior in high school and it's May, he doesn't give a gently caress anymore and is ready to tell the principal to go gently caress himself.

SpitztheGreat fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 19, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SpitztheGreat posted:

Edit 2- Jr is like a senior in high school and it's May, he doesn't give a gently caress anymore and is ready to tell the principal to go gently caress himself.

Yuuuuuuuuuup. And I think because he's popular and has his image to uphold (with everyone else because he's effectively valedictorian here), he'll wait till his speech to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I haven't got angry watching a race in a while. But that loving debris caution gave me flashbacks to 2014 and I got a bit heated.

• Locked thread