Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Sadly, completely untouched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Christ. Are they just pretending it's not a problem?

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Half the patch is new unit models for Russian and other steppe countries so if you're not interested in that then probably wait for a sale. The new Russian mechanics are pretty neat and help you grow and manage a big empire and build a big army quick.
Honestly the new DLC is pretty light and kind of poo poo I'd skip it and wait for it to be on sale it doesnt really add anything interesting. Mandate of heaven was kind of fun because you could bug abuse the gently caress out of Ming to become a Asian superpower easily.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Randarkman posted:

They haven't mentioned it at all. I'm definitely not buying any more DLC until they at least acknowledge that the system doesn't really work very well and that it will be revisited soon..

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Too Poetic posted:

Honestly the new DLC is pretty light and kind of poo poo I'd skip it and wait for it to be on sale it doesnt really add anything interesting. Mandate of heaven was kind of fun because you could bug abuse the gently caress out of Ming to become a Asian superpower easily.

It adds Siberian Frontiers which is extremely overpowered as a tradition in a gimmick America custom nation run. Worth it just for this:

Also, being a Norse Manchu gives real silly names. I got an heir and consort at the same time, and the consort is named "No Heir" (which I don't know if it's an actual Manchu name or just the game trolling me)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

reignonyourparade posted:

drat, for some reason as a Manchu Norse Western Tech Ambrosian republic I'm getting counted as a Primitive Nation and can't embrace institutions?
I accidentally forgot to make myself Western when I restarted one of my games. Can you build boats? Can you see Europe? My guess would be you missed something when setting your nation up.

Randarkman posted:

Pretty much, yeah. On the previous page someone was posting about how Nogai was a Ming Tributary in 1500. He was playing as Muscovy and that kinda curds you development hahaha

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Randarkman posted:

More just ignoring it and sort of looking the other way when it's brought up. Not helping is the group of fans pretending it's not a problem. It's kind of weird because they presumably spent a lot if time developing the Mandate of Heaven mechanics for them to effectively be "Ming gets a bunch of bonuses about 100 years into the game"

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
There was some half assed attempt in the hungary patch and they can't offer tributary status diplomatically if there's a lack of trust anymore, that's all they did.
In most of my games they have all the hordes to the Ural and large parts of India.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Ming are still broken but the good news is if you're american with siberian frontiers you can easily be #1 GP by like 1500 and crush them when you own the entirety of north and south america on your own.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Pretty much every gameplay problem introduced after 1.20 has been politely ignored

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

spectralent posted:

Ming are still broken but the good news is if you're american with siberian frontiers you can easily be #1 GP by like 1500 and crush them when you own the entirety of north and south america on your own.
Any details how to best do this? I've tried three times, starting in Columbia, and each time I get horribly crushed by any combination of two or three of Spain, Portugal, France, and England.

Edit for more content/context: I bum rush both Peru and Mexico, seed Renaissance and Colonialism in some grassland provinces, and build as big a Navy as I can afford. I selectively State things, but maybe too slow? I picked one province in Central America to go with my Columbian province (to be on two continents).

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 18, 2017

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Are you starting as western tech? If you're not primitive, you get all the institutions and so can keep up on tech.

also @ all talking about Ming, there's a thread on the Paradox forums with a dev responding to it today (although he hasn't acknowledged the issue, to be fair), so it'd be a good time to post a suggestion or weigh in: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/there-should-be-events-on-ming-decline.1030215/

also keep in mind you can always post a thread on their suggestion forum rather than just whining into the wind in SA, they read (or at least look at) literally all of the threads on that subforum from my understanding. I posted a suggestion there and they put it in the game a week later.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Any details how to best do this? I've tried three times, starting in Columbia, and each time I get horribly crushed by any combination of two or three of Spain, Portugal, France, and England.

I'm not sure, since it sounds like you're doing the right things. You're just spamming frontiers whenever possible, right? Definitely also go for any easy age goals you can since the +1 tax/manpower/production one is just hideously broken and equals hundreds of free MP.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Edit for more content/context: I bum rush both Peru and Mexico, seed Renaissance and Colonialism in some grassland provinces, and build as big a Navy as I can afford. I selectively State things, but maybe too slow? I picked one province in Central America to go with my Columbian province (to be on two continents).

What kind of armies are you finding they land on you? I didn't even worry much about my own navy, but with Manchu banners and like 1000 development I could just wipe aside any army that landed on me, but then none of them were more than like 20 at a time.

Also I was actually a bit selective about bum rushing Peru (and hadn't even reached Mexico when they arrived). Take provinces so you can expand your frontiers more, but losing a ton of manpower and so on attacking into the Peruvian mountains is maybe more hassle than it's worth for their land alone at the start. Every Siberian frontier in the first age is a free no unrest same culture same religion 6 development province, so that's where you wanna be doing most of your expanding and statifying, rather than the Andean stuff.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

By the time I was in contact with more than Portugal I owned basically all of South America, had conquered meso America and was pushing up into California and Florida.

Always expand your borders, just eat the corruption from being behind on Diplo tech. I didn't bother seeding institutions, I left some islands in the Caribbean that were in the same sea zones as the mainland uncolonized and everything just spread to me naturally from them. I just stated anything that's relatively high income and Manchu so I could raise more banners. Navy was useless until I started spreading to Africa and by that time I had a larger force limit than England even without any ideas helping it.

Trying to figure out how to invade SEA without becoming a Ming tributary. Maybe become a tributary for a few years, conquer a horde and feed them 300 development so ming collapses?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Monarch points are...bad? Like how am I supposed to juggle tech AND ideas AND development and hope to actually do any one of those three things well? Either I'm up to date in techs and have no ideas, or I get ideas and fall behind in tech, or I develop my provinces so they're not poo poo and I can do neither.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Monarch points are...bad? Like how am I supposed to juggle tech AND ideas AND development and hope to actually do any one of those three things well? Either I'm up to date in techs and have no ideas, or I get ideas and fall behind in tech, or I develop my provinces so they're not poo poo and I can do neither.

Well, that is part of the challenge of the game. Using a limited resources in the best manner possible for your situation.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Also you're not supposed to juggle development, it's a thing to do when you're running over the point cap, not as an all the time thing.

uPen posted:

I didn't bother seeding institutions

Oh yeah this is a good point too. I seeded Renaissance (although I probably didn't need to) but you probably shouldn't seed Colonialism. It's thousands of MP down the drain and you'll be in contact with the nations that are guaranteed to have it soon enough anyway.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yeah i got renaissance while i was still "small" but by the time colonialism hit i wasn't going to seed it and spend hundreds embracing it

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Don't attack their colonies, wait until they form a colonial nation! Colonial nations are not protected by their mother country if the attacker has its capital on the new world.

So spam siberian frontiers everywhere, build up a good army, wait until they colonize 5 provinces and then attack the CN. Nobody will give a gently caress.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

also don't fully annex a colonial nation if you haven't locked down the region yet. any other colonies the parent nation starts in the region will get added to the cn you leave behind and you can farm provinces off them

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Randarkman posted:

It sure seems like it. I'd really consider editing the title of the thread to say not to buy Mandate of Heaven. Johan, you're either being stubborn or naive when it comes to that expansion and how broken it is.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

I just loaded up my First Come, First Serve attempt and now I can't build boats anymore, so I can't colonize anything that's not adjacent to my provinces. This is weird. Any idea how to fix it?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

do you have enough sailors

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

Yea, I literally don't have the option to build ships. In my technology tab it has all the ship icons grayed out and no text next to them. It's like the game is treating me as a native nation.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Node posted:

It sure seems like it. I'd really consider editing the title of the thread to say not to buy Mandate of Heaven. Johan, you're either being stubborn or naive when it comes to that expansion and how broken it is.

Johan is a modern day Marie Antoinette.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Thank for all the replies regarding Siberian Frontiers in America.

I never attacked and Colonial Nations - their overlords simply came straight for me around 1500-1515 with 45+ heavies and army stacks of 30+.

I can field a single stack of 40; Banners dont help me that much because they are 100% cav - my army of 40 is like 20 infantry, 15 cav, and 5 artillery.

I tried to have a Navy so I could ferry troops around, but I always get horribly crushed by the two or three major euro powers that are tag-teaming me (I really hate that its even possible that England and Spain will go "Sure, Portugal, we will commit 100% of our army and navy to invading the Americas for the next 10 years, no sweat buddy!" without a second thought, and then no one in Europe does anything about it either.

I lose the war because I get swarmed by ants, essentially. Each country and their colonial subjects show up in force, but at every end of my massive empire. I die by a thousand cuts. I have a few forts here and there but they all always fall in less than a year to any sieging force and then the AI's crazy good micromanagement means that I get occupied in a matter of months. My one stack of ~40 just cannot move fast enough to fend off all of the invaders and I gradually go into a death/debt spiral because I run out of money and my WE stacks up hard.

I spam the Siberian Frontiers as fast as I can and never had a problem affording them.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
How much development do you have? By the time the Euros show up you should be easily in the 1000 range and one of the greatest powers in the world, too big for them to even think of attacking you.

40 stack is a little small maybe but you always have fewer armies than you want in this run because such a high proportion of your land is territories. Really though the Euros should be too scared of your gigantic rear end to ever declare.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Yeah sounds like something is funky. I started around panama and had zero problems after conquering the Peru / Colombia minors , I had south America pretty much locked down by 1550 and nobody attacked me. I am only starting having trouble in 1650 or so because england managed to snag two caribbean provinces and Portugal has Bermuda (no idea how to get those provinces but once I finish eating up North America I guess I will find a way...)

Mind posting a screen or two so we can maybe spot what's going wrong?

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 18, 2017

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I think the key to taking the Caribbean is counter-intuitively letting them have it. If you fight for it and colonize it then they won't form colonial nations and you need to fight Britain/France/Spain in a mega war. If you let them take it they'll form a colonial nation who you can beat the snot out of at your leisure.

Baconomics
Feb 6, 2012

I followed the thread's advice and went Norse/Manchu with a capital on mainland South America in the Caribbean node, playing an Ambrosian Republic and constantly reelecting my starting 6/6/6 20 year old ruler (and buffing republican tradition with military points when it began to sink too low). For my traditions I took Siberian Frontiers and +20 global settler growth.

I aggressively expanded through the Andes, trying to reach those empty provinces to the south of the Incan nations as quickly as possible. I force-vassalized an OPM and fed them as much as possible (you only need a one-line string of provinces to keep using Siberian Frontiers). I found it was incredibly useful to annex a nation, build Siberian Frontiers colonies outwards from that new territory in every direction, and with a continuous string of my colonies wrapping around the conquered territory I would grant it all to my vassal to avoid coring costs and overextension. This mechanic is so hilariously broken and I love it

The route around the south of the Amazon allowed me to colonize huge swaths of territory - I was only two provinces away from Rio de Janiero when Portugal started colonizing it! I took Exploration as my first idea for the colonist could lock down the Caribbean as much as possible. I found admin points to be much scarcer than diplo, even while diplo-annexing my vassal and constantly expanding there was only one point where I ran out of diplo points and had to wait to make new colonies. I made the mistake of granting statehood to a lot of small states near my starting location, and wasted a lot of admin points moving states around (it took me way too long to realize I had states with ~12 dev while I had territories with 30+)

My force limit was 80 before the Europeans arrived, now it's 100 (in 1524). Thanks to Andean gold, money hasn't been an issue for a while. For decades I've been simultaneously colonizing three Caribbean provinces at a time (the "normal" way) and the 16 colonial maintenance barely puts a dent in my income.

I'm not sure if/when to take the English/Portuguese colonies (only Portugal has a colonial nation so far, in Brazil). I'm also only a single province from Mayan territory and I'm going to try to snake through just like I did to the Incan nations. According to the DoW menu, If I attack Portuguese Brazil it will bring Portugal into the war, as well as its allies Castile and France. Is that a war I can win? My instinct says it wouldn't be hard to stackwipe anything that lands but honestly I have no idea how good the naval invasion AI is these days. Do I need to wait until they're distracted with a European war?

PS: stupid newbie question: what exactly is the Manchu Banners mechanic and how does it work? I've never used these mechanics before and have no idea when I should press the "raise banner" button or what it will do.

Baconomics fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 18, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

that country name is beautiful

iirc each state lets you raise banners, check the state interface

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 18, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
If you DOW the colonial nation rather than their overlord, it will not bring in the overlord or any of their allies. The overlord can still enforce peace on you if you take long enough about the war but realistically unless the CN is huge or has loads of forts you don't need to worry about it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

oddium posted:

do you have enough sailors

Do you know where I can find some sailors.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
It's possible for the AI to give you a bad time once you've hit the holy poo poo cancer stage, but it seems rare. In one of my runs (went a little frustratingly hairy) a giant France decided to invade with everything they had and gently caress me. They had maaaaybe twenty less troops than me and of course much better ideas all around--I think they had at least +35% morale. And I'm not great at optimizing economy so just dropping a shitload of mercs wasn't really an option.

But for the most part, they aren't a problem.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Baconomics posted:

PS: stupid newbie question: what exactly is the Manchu Banners mechanic and how does it work? I've never used these mechanics before and have no idea when I should press the "raise banner" button or what it will do.

Manchu banners are raised from Manchu-culture, stated territory. Flip to the province State tab and you should get a button to raise banners. Note that banners are raised equal to your max cav/info ratio relative to your *current* force limits. So since you're not running 50% cavalry almost certainly, banners will get you only cavalry most of the time it's a bit of a dumb mechanic. Add it to the list of things they need to clean up with Mandate of Heaven.

So for example if your standing army is 50/50 inf/cav, raising banners will get you 50/50. Having less than 50% cav you will just get cavalry. Probably the best way to handle this is once you're wealthy enough, hire a bunch of merc cav way over 50% then raise your banners and you'll get a good ratio of inf/cav.

I'm also trying out this goofy custom game setup before it's patched. I'm going for Ideas Guy so started with a 0/0/0 ruler and lovely ideas but lucked into a 5/3/5 heir who's now on the throne as of 1465. I started with only the province of Darien which lets you instantly get the Splendor ticking from having provinces on two continents.

Edit: some suggestions on good things to include in your idea picks for a Norse/Manchu custom start in the New World abusing Siberian Frontier-

-inflation is good since you're gonna have a LOT of gold
-development cost
+Missionaries and Missionary Strength if you plan on invading Europe
-core cost
+heir chance isn't bad since your marriage options are limited, combine with prestige from your religious decisions and maybe some Legitimacy and you can reroll heirs a lot
+institution spread

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 18, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TorakFade posted:

Yeah sounds like something is funky. I started around panama and had zero problems after conquering the Peru / Colombia minors , I had south America pretty much locked down by 1550 and nobody attacked me. I am only starting having trouble in 1650 or so because england managed to snag two caribbean provinces and Portugal has Bermuda (no idea how to get those provinces but once I finish eating up North America I guess I will find a way...)

Mind posting a screen or two so we can maybe spot what's going wrong?

England has 70,000 troops committed to Mexico; Portugal and her colonies have a good 40k running around at any one time, and there are a combined 30 Heavy ships between the two of them. I can win battles but I cant win them all. Its the most annoying game of whack-a-mole ever.

England burned 5 of my Siberian Frontier colonies down and Portugal at least another 10. I'm on par with tech but I just dont make enough money with the land I have to buff up to a point of stopping them.

Pellisworth posted:

Manchu banners are raised from Manchu-culture, stated territory. Flip to the province State tab and you should get a button to raise banners. Note that banners are raised equal to your max cav/info ratio relative to your *current* force limits. So since you're not running 50% cavalry almost certainly, banners will get you only cavalry most of the time it's a bit of a dumb mechanic. Add it to the list of things they need to clean up with Mandate of Heaven.
Yeah I cant figure that poo poo out. Even if I am 50/50 I get all cav, so I just stopped recruiting them because they dont do me any good.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 18, 2017

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Also I think it might be an equally good (or better) strategy to start on the East Coast of North America. Snaking your way from SA through Panama to conquer a path through the Mesoamericans is pretty slow, while if you start in NA you don't get Splendor as fast but you do have a lot faster expansion from Siberian Frontiers and your provinces are a lot cheaper to develop. You'll probably want to buy Renaissance.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
^that's probably a good idea. It's generally higher dev too I think, so with the age bonus you'll end up getting some pretty decent states to have as the core of your nation. Fighting around the Amazon wasteland is also a colossal pain in the rear end. I put extra movement speed into my ideas which helps a bit though.

Can't you guys just disband the excess normal cav you have so you can use the banner cav? After I had a bunch of banners active I recomposed my armies with that in mind. Plus I put the +15% cavalry ratio into my ideas, so extra cavalry are working fine for me. Since the hard parts of this run take place in the early game, you want as much cav as you can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
How do you get renaissance in the Americas before the colonizers come--do you just keep developing a province or is there something else to it?

• Locked thread