Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
meanwhile, when exorcists go bad
http://www.thedailybeast.com/this-secret-catholic-exorcist-cult-in-brazil-is-making-a-deal-with-the-devil?via=twitter_page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i take it all back, aesthetic taste can definitely be evil :mad:
it's good ugly though, just like that durer. that corpsey christ is good as poo poo.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Your sense of aesthetics should be subservient to your sense of morality, and if it isn't I don't think you have sufficient control over either.

I can't imagine trying to subordinate aesthetics to morality any more than subordinating morality to aesthetics. I find it nauseating to see someone happily letting a dog lick their face, but I don't find that immoral, or even dislike-able, it just turns my stomach. I think it is immoral to remarry after a divorce, but I don't feel revulsion at the sight of a happily-remarried person with their second spouse. Watching someone put lotion on their hands makes me shudder, but watching someone pick their teeth doesn't, even though the latter's less socially acceptable. Hearing an adult tell a child, "You're so stupid - how could you be so stupid?" gives me the same aesthetic reaction as watching someone pick their teeth, even though I think it's wrong to talk to a child that way.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

zonohedron posted:

I can't imagine trying to subordinate aesthetics to morality...
if this, then terrible art with a good message is good

quote:

... any more than subordinating morality to aesthetics.
if this, then like numerical anxiety said, people with burns are evil

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Kinda, sorta, not really related to the current discussion:

One in six young people are Christian as visits to church buildings inspire them to convert

quote:

Around 13 per cent of teenagers said that they decided to become a Christian after a visit to a church or cathedral, according to the figures.

The influence of a church building was more significant than attending a youth group, going to a wedding, or speaking to other Christians about their faith.

Jimmy Dale, the Church of England’s national youth evangelism officer, said his team had been “shocked” by the results.

[...]

The study suggests that new methods invested in by the Church, such as youth groups and courses such as Youth Alpha, are less effective than prayer or visiting a church building in attracting children to the church.

[...]

“Things which we would class as old hat methods are some of the more effective ways.

“It’s a real wake-up call for the church – we’ve got lots of young people who are coming into churches with school groups and that’s a really integral part of them becoming a Christian,” Mr Dale added.

Turns out that aesthetics in religion... are good? :wth:

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

zonohedron posted:

I can't imagine trying to subordinate aesthetics to morality any more than subordinating morality to aesthetics. I find it nauseating to see someone happily letting a dog lick their face, but I don't find that immoral, or even dislike-able, it just turns my stomach. I think it is immoral to remarry after a divorce, but I don't feel revulsion at the sight of a happily-remarried person with their second spouse. Watching someone put lotion on their hands makes me shudder, but watching someone pick their teeth doesn't, even though the latter's less socially acceptable. Hearing an adult tell a child, "You're so stupid - how could you be so stupid?" gives me the same aesthetic reaction as watching someone pick their teeth, even though I think it's wrong to talk to a child that way.

wait you don't get all stomach churning, anxiety sweat reaction when you hear a parent saying stuff like that to their kid?

huh, what's with me then

System Metternich posted:

Kinda, sorta, not really related to the current discussion:

One in six young people are Christian as visits to church buildings inspire them to convert

Turns out that aesthetics in religion... are good? :wth:
i mean to be fair how many converts do they think an old dude going "yo yo yo jesus is good" is gonna get? like from what i've heard (i was never in a youth group so it's second hand for me) youth groups rarely actually treated kids seriously, instead they just made condescending overtures to them based off what they expected kids to care about. so like, of course buildings are more effective, sacred architecture takes kids more seriously than a lot of people in youth ministry

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Senju Kannon posted:

i mean to be fair how many converts do they think an old dude going "yo yo yo jesus is good" is gonna get? like from what i've heard (i was never in a youth group so it's second hand for me) youth groups rarely actually treated kids seriously, instead they just made condescending overtures to them based off what they expected kids to care about. so like, of course buildings are more effective, sacred architecture takes kids more seriously than a lot of people in youth ministry

Basically songs and stories for children tend to be made by adults who have certain views about what being a child is like. Meanwhile, children tend to want in on the adult stuff, and are sensitive to being patronised. I know that I as a child was certainly more impressed by the gold-clad skeletons in some churches than by the "on a boat with Jesus" hand-print collage we made to hang in ours.

That said, some of the youth group activities were pretty great and have left me with good memories. And among people I know it's a reasonably common experience that they were either attracted to the church because of youth activities, or stuck around because of them.

I think the stew they served at one altar servers' meeting also set me on the path to becoming a vegetarian. :henget:

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
The architecture thing rings very true to me. One of my strongest childhood memories is visiting the Aachener Dom. One of the few times I felt true awe in my life. Unfortunately for christianity, most of that feeling went into an overwhelming urge to restore the Empire, not a conversion.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I was an odd kid in that I always preferred churches with more austere architecture growing up. Visiting big cathedrals and whatnot as a kid just made me think "Man, that's tacky."

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cythereal posted:

I was an odd kid in that I always preferred churches with more austere architecture growing up. Visiting big cathedrals and whatnot as a kid just made me think "Man, that's tacky."
you can't be catholic without PILES of kitsch

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Sometimes I wonder if maybe The Simpsons was on to something in that episode where Bart is attracted to Catholicism by the gruesome martyrdom stories.

"And in art class, we painted St. Joan burning at the stake, and mine was the grossest!"

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Keromaru5 posted:

Sometimes I wonder if maybe The Simpsons was on to something in that episode where Bart is attracted to Catholicism by the gruesome martyrdom stories.

"And in art class, we painted St. Joan burning at the stake, and mine was the grossest!"
oh, i had my deathbed scene all planned out, even got a rhinestone rosary to thread through my lifeless fingers... :allears:

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 18, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GAIL posted:

you can't be catholic without PILES of kitsch

Fortunately, I am not Catholic and have no desire to be. :v: Honestly, I think the Amish and Mennonites and other such groups are kind on to something. It's not a lifestyle I have any interest in embracing, I'm far too attached to the modern world, but I appreciate that impulse towards staying humble and plain, particularly in regards to church. I've always thought the most beautiful churches are often the simplest, even bordering on stark or brutal in appearance.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

This is great. The best is this:

quote:

The conversation was stilted, as one might expect with the struggle for the possessed person’s soul, but the gist was that Plinio was randomly “breaking people's computers so that they can’t go on the internet” and that he is changing the climate and was “therefore the author of the climate change, and the increase of heat. It is Plinio who does everything,” according to the devil as channeled through the exorcist. Then, the devil predicts that a meteorite will crash into the Atlantic ocean. “North America will disappear,” he warns.

Climate change, continental destruction, yeah sure... wait, the demons are after my wifi connection? In Jesus' name, back!

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
that is some alex jones poo poo in the best possible way

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HEY GAIL posted:

if this, then terrible art with a good message is good

It is, though?

Beauty cannot redeem vile things, but good things remain good whether they look nice or not.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Hey guys, you know why fundamentalists can't read music?

It's just a theory.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

OwlFancier posted:

It is, though?

Beauty cannot redeem vile things, but good things remain good whether they look nice or not.

For reference, here is an example.

This is good hip-hop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOgApjGFmnU

While this is awful hip-hop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvqYabGI6HQ

Numerical Anxiety fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 19, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Hey guys, you know why fundamentalists can't read music?

It's just a theory.

It's the only thing that explains how awful the music's been in fundy churches I've been to.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Numerical Anxiety posted:

For reference, here is an example.

This is good hip-hop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOgApjGFmnU

While this is awful hip-hop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvqYabGI6HQ

Both equally listenable but both strictly inferior to the best hip hop adjacent thing marrying both form and message:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNqlSrhUOgs

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

hi it's corpus christi and im drunk as hell

it's alternately really cool and kinda hosed up taht we literally cannibalize God and it owns

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

Numerical Anxiety posted:

Help, I'm being oppressed! Someone else has an aversion to a thing I like and dared articulate it!

If you can't defend why you don't like something, even if it is a thing with legitimate reasons to dislike, you are being slightly foolish.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

If you can't defend why you don't like something, even if it is a thing with legitimate reasons to dislike, you are being slightly foolish.

"my lover is beautiful"
"actually I think you'll find that other men and indeed women are in fact also beautiful, and furthermore you should only make aesthetic judgements insofar as they relate to universal law and moral truth" - some atheists in this thread, bafflingly

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

pidan posted:

"my lover is beautiful"
"actually I think you'll find that other men and indeed women are in fact also beautiful, and furthermore you should only make aesthetic judgements insofar as they relate to universal law and moral truth" - some atheists in this thread, bafflingly

Where did I say this or anything close to it?

If it was implied I apologise, but if you are asked "Why don't you like [thing]" and you can't provide an answer then it does look fairly silly.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

quote:

Dr. Plinio, as he is still known by his devout followers, was a right-wing Catholic figure who founded the ultra conservative Tradition, Family and Property Association, known in Catholic circles as the TFP.

Well of course

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

OwlFancier posted:

It is, though?

no wonder you have terrible wallpaper opinions!!!!

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Josef bugman posted:

I don't know about you, but as far as I am concerned "I don't like the taste of sweet potatoes," or "I don't see any appeal in water sports," are reasons legitimate enough in themselves for an individual not to partake of either.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
it is annoying when i cook something and someone says "i don't like it" and they can't articulate what exactly about it they don't like, because that means i can't avoid recreating the same thing they don't like about it again

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Folks, whatever value this conversation had has clearly ended. Let's drop it now, okay?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cythereal posted:

Folks, whatever value this conversation had has clearly ended. Let's drop it now, okay?
disagreement in a discussion is fine :shrug:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Senju Kannon posted:

it is annoying when i cook something and someone says "i don't like it" and they can't articulate what exactly about it they don't like, because that means i can't avoid recreating the same thing they don't like about it again

Sometimes, you just don't have the tools to describe what's wrong with things like cooking. For example, I'm terrible at it and I avoid it whenever I can, so criticism is limited "too salty/not enough salt" and stuff like that.

W/R/T to awesome churches: school going children quickly turn against the friendly hippie stuff because they see it as something aimed at children, and they're not children. They want the good (read: gruesome) stuff.

That's the idea behind Horrrible History books, and it made me in part the man I am today.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Fortunately, I am not Catholic and have no desire to be. :v: Honestly, I think the Amish and Mennonites and other such groups are kind on to something. It's not a lifestyle I have any interest in embracing, I'm far too attached to the modern world, but I appreciate that impulse towards staying humble and plain, particularly in regards to church. I've always thought the most beautiful churches are often the simplest, even bordering on stark or brutal in appearance.

Oh hey, the Mennonite Signal* just went off.

I can't really speak for anyone other than the (pretty modern, so no shunning of technology or anything like that) Mennonite church I grew up as part of, which wasn't that different from other Protestant churches, but in my experience, you can't really eliminate aesthetic expression like that, you can just redirect it. (So you can have a plain building but if there's any outlet for decoration, those decorations will be super-elaborate.)

And from what I hear about some of the Amish communities around where I grew up and where friends of mine did, it's even more of an exercise in finding loopholes in The Things We Reject. Mostly it's a question of what the local bishop will allow, as I understand it, and it's not exactly consistent. Mobile phones being allowed, because they didn't involve wires being attached to the home (and sometimes only if they were kept in a location away from the home) was a pretty common thing you heard.

My cousin made pretty good money while he was in high school driving Amish people around, in a van he nicknamed the Yoder Toter.

Anyway, not to make My People out to be a bunch of hypocrites (though of course we are because we're, you know, people), but going back to the thing about aesthetics, I think that Mennonites (and others with more austere traditions) typically see some things as distractions from worship and it's hard for us to embrace the idea that, for others, those things aren't distracting at all. (And I'm sure it goes the other way as well.)

Ultimately, I think there's beauty to be found in simplicity, and also in the elaborate, and beauty in all its forms is a gift from God.

___
It's this entire thing with weather vanes and quilts and...it's kind of hard to explain, honestly.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

docbeard posted:

I think that Mennonites (and others with more austere traditions) typically see some things as distractions from worship and it's hard for us to embrace the idea that, for others, those things aren't distracting at all.
yeah, for us it's not a distraction from worship, it's how we worship, which is why we have such exacting norms for what the chanting is supposed to sound like and how the icons are supposed to be painted

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Also, my mom helped out with cleaning our church while I was growing up, which meant that my sister and I did as well, and trust me, ain't nothing strips away what little mystique a place of worship might otherwise have like cleaning its bathrooms does.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Note that these guys have some capital a AESTHETICS for this thread http://www.heraldsusa.org/habits-uniforms-and-symbols

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Keromaru5 posted:

Puritans were all over this poo poo. The Stories Of Boys And Girls Who Loved Their Saviour was insanely popular and is basically about children who were really devout and then died. A very happy and joyous children's book about dying children, it was popular up until the 19th century when I guess kids decided they would rather read Heidi and The Jungle Book rather than develop PTSD.

The Martyrs of Carthage was also pretty popular; it's a delightful novelization of early church history, where people convert due to their convictions and die horrifyingly gruesome deaths by being boiled in oil or decapitated. It was recommended reading for young girls.

I'm only familiar with old Puritan children's literature, not any Catholic stuff, but I'd say the biggest difference between older catechesis and modern catechesis is that holy poo poo the older stuff did not pull any punches. Greenham's Youth Catechism opens up right away with total depravity. YouCat is like "God is really awesome, guys! Also please don't masturbate" and 17th century Puritan youth catechisms are like "look at you, wretched creature of sinew born of sin, repent or face eternal hellfire."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Phlegmatist posted:

Puritans were all over this poo poo. The Stories Of Boys And Girls Who Loved Their Saviour was insanely popular and is basically about children who were really devout and then died. A very happy and joyous children's book about dying children, it was popular up until the 19th century when I guess kids decided they would rather read Heidi and The Jungle Book rather than develop PTSD.

Well, it didn't quite go away. See The Last Battle.

Although I still generally recommend The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe and Voyage of the Dawn Treader for kids.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Phlegmatist posted:

I'm only familiar with old Puritan children's literature, not any Catholic stuff, but I'd say the biggest difference between older catechesis and modern catechesis is that holy poo poo the older stuff did not pull any punches. Greenham's Youth Catechism opens up right away with total depravity. YouCat is like "God is really awesome, guys! Also please don't masturbate" and 17th century Puritan youth catechisms are like "look at you, wretched creature of sinew born of sin, repent or face eternal hellfire."
catholic early childhood education is still bloody as hell and i loved it
i assume the orthodox ones are the same way

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

In that vein, check out Martyr's Mirror sometime, especially the woodcut illustrations (which are the source of my avatar).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

HEY GAIL posted:

catholic early childhood education is still bloody as hell and i loved it
i assume the orthodox ones are the same way
I wouldn't know, but when our Metropolitan made one of his rare visits a couple years ago, the kids did a presentation where they read him biographies about their patron saints. I think there were only a couple patrons who didn't die horribly, and that's because they were the Virgin Mary and the Archangel Michael.

• Locked thread