Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Time for a bit of non rant:

http://www.mylicence.sa.gov.au/my-motorcycle-licence/lane_filtering

Thank you government-legislature-Jesus for formally lumbering out of the dark ages and implementing some good road rules. Now if we could just tidy up that bit about bus and bike lanes so I can use the miles and miles of lane narrowing bikeways that are almost virginal due to being shunned by the lycra brigade we'll be on to something.

rant bit: and give me back the $650 for the 2 times I got caught :ninja: riding down the bike lane in stopped traffic. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
sigh, parked at a bar on uneven terrain and when i went to leave later accidentally knocked it over into the new camry next to it

didn't look too bad but we'll see what insurance says i guess

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yikes. Good luck.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

Thank you government-legislature-Jesus for formally lumbering out of the dark ages and implementing some good road rules. Now if we could just tidy up that bit about bus and bike lanes so I can use the miles and miles of lane narrowing bikeways that are almost virginal due to being shunned by the lycra brigade we'll be on to something.

rant bit: and give me back the $650 for the 2 times I got caught :ninja: riding down the bike lane in stopped traffic. :argh:

Sidling up the lycra warrior secret corridor is immensely satisfying from a smugness perspective, but it's even better when someone using it is dawdling up to the intersection and you beat him to the line by cutting between the cars. Expert mode.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

Yet another thing I never understood about the lycra warriors; despite being vastly slower than the surrounding motor traffic, they will eschew clean, empty, separated by curbs and medians, dedicated bike lanes, instead preferring to use the lovely gutter lane on the roadway and get run over by dump trucks. :psyduck:
Then there was this old Chinese guy is saw with a case of beer on the front of his utilitarian bike going like 2mph on a busy city street (with a separate bike path) holding up everybody behind him and giving zero fucks at all. I get that at least.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Don't ride in bicycle lanes you tards.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Chris Knight posted:

What every spandex warrior says every morning.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

nsaP posted:

Rev said it better than I can but yeah, the only time the accelerate away argument works is if you're boxed in, and even then, not really. But if you got yourself in a position where you are boxed in, what is you doin??

Braking is almost always a better choice and every bike stops quicker than it accelerates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRR31NaXoVw

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I'm agreed with this although it's an easy to say, attentiveness doesn't save you from everything.

I'd challenge anyone to produce details on a situation that really did require acceleration to escape danger, and on top of that a situation that required more than Rebel 250 acceleration, though. I think it's one of those theoreticals that basically never happens.

What are the ground rules of this? Is it good enough that acceleration was an accepted way to escape danger but not the only way? Or will it be if I present a situation you will move the goalpost and say "you could have done this to escape the danger" due to it not meeting your personal unstated standards for acceleration being the right tool to escape the situation?

Coredump fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 18, 2017

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Chris Knight posted:

I'd gladly give way to any cyclist who uses them. Except there aren't any. :shrug:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Chris Knight posted:

We are on cycles too, fuckstick.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Coredump posted:

What are the ground rules of this? Is it good enough that acceleration was an accepted way to escape danger but not the only way? Or will it be if I present a situation you will move the goalpost and say "you could have done this to escape the danger" due to it not meeting your personal unstated standards for acceleration being the right tool to escape the situation?
Well that I already mentioned the scenario in that particular video, getting rear ended, which is one of the exceptions, but is not as common as you might think according to a recent motorcycling study I read. In that scenario a 125cc scooter can get you off to the side of the road quick enough to avoid a car rear ending you like that, though. Do you need to have R1 acceleration with launch control to go straight ahead as fast as possible instead of swerving off to the side a bit? I guess you could argue that depending on the situation.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Coredump posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRR31NaXoVw

You quoted me by mistake right? Oh no of course not, because this is where you quote me talking about a motorcycle on a highway and post a video of a car on a roadway.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Well that I already mentioned the scenario in that particular video, getting rear ended, which is one of the exceptions, but is not as common as you might think according to a recent motorcycling study I read. In that scenario a 125cc scooter can get you off to the side of the road quick enough to avoid a car rear ending you like that, though. Do you need to have R1 acceleration with launch control to go straight ahead as fast as possible instead of swerving off to the side a bit? I guess you could argue that depending on the situation.

I won't argue on the frequency. The bar I'm trying to meet is " produce details on a situation that really did require acceleration to escape danger, and on top of that a situation that required more than Rebel 250 acceleration, though. I think it's one of those theoreticals that basically never happens." and I think I've met that, especially if there's a embankment on the side of the road where driving off to the side is not an option. Especially if there is cross traffic on a two lane road, I don't want to bank on the oncoming car moving towards the center lane to avoid me because they will probably want to avoid a head-on collision with the cars coming the other way.

nsaP posted:

You quoted me by mistake right? Oh no of course not, because this is where you quote me talking about a motorcycle on a highway and post a video of a car on a roadway.

If you look what I quoted you saying that will clear it up bud.

But what it comes down to is acceleration is a valid tool to use in defensive driving and having move gives you a bigger margin of error when you decide to use it. If a SV650 is a valid beginner bike then so is a Ninja 650 so what hell are you all ablublu about. He went from one beginner bike to a slightly bigger beginner bike. Laffo

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Acceleration is a tool in defensive driving, but one that you will almost never need to use and which will almost always be a worse choice. It's far more likely to get a new rider into trouble than help them. People are making fun of him for pretending he wanted a bigger, faster, heavier bike because it's safer (the opposite of true) rather than because he wanted one.

Also, that video is stupid and there's no indication of any speeds, distances, or acceleration numbers to show that Tesla level *INSTANT ACCELERATION* is necessary, nor is there any context for what is in front of or around the car, so who knows what a rider could have done in that situation. Ride to the side would be my suggestion.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

The two times I use acceleration defensively, both happening to be on the highway, are: 1. Passing a truck (especially one that's blowing soot and smells like the Gowanus) and 2. Making space for people merging onto the highway. Every other time I use braking/deceleration.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Accelerating to avoid danger is always the worst option because if something fucks up you have just added more energy to the situation instead of removing it.

Braking and swerving are energy-reducing events and thus are safer, but they also take more skill than just pinning the throttle, which may be part of why inexperienced riders look for an alternative.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 19, 2017

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Don't mind me, I just want to ask for some clarification:

You're not supposed to brake and swerve at the same time, right?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

The Bananana posted:

Don't mind me, I just want to ask for some clarification:

You're not supposed to brake and swerve at the same time, right?

Swerve then brake if at all possible. Chances are if you're swerving it's in a panic or near-panic situation where your instinct will be to jump all over the brakes. Grabbing a handful of front brake + swerving makes you more prone to washing out the front.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Yeah that's what I thought, but based on that post, I wanted to make sure he wasn't saying to brake AND swerve together.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

The Bananana posted:

Yeah that's what I thought, but based on that post, I wanted to make sure he wasn't saying to brake AND swerve together.

Braking is a quicker action than changing direction, so brake first and use the increased thinking time to see if you can spot an escape route, then let the brakes off and go for the escape route. It's a very over-simplified bit of advice but it's a good starting point. Don't forget not to target-fixate into whatever the hazard is, though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You can do both at once depending on how strongly you're braking and how sharply you're swerving. There's no hard-and-fast rule. But yes, it's best to do only one at a time if the situation allows it. Sometimes you'll want to swerve out of the way first and then slow down (for instance if you have a lot of open space on both sides); other times you want to try slowing before swerving (if you don't).

Over time you develop the instincts to handle these situations properly, but it takes time and experience.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

Accelerating to avoid danger is always the worst option because if something fucks up you have just added more energy to the situation instead of removing it.

Braking and swerving are energy-reducing events and thus are safer, but they also take more skill than just pinning the throttle, which may be part of why inexperienced riders look for an alternative.

Accelerating to avoid danger is not ALWAYS the worst option. Acceleration is an option that needs to be weigh with all other options. One downside is it adds energy into the system, true. One upside is your accelerating into a direction you're already facing and are more aware of. Each option has its pros and cons and that's why it needs to weighed in each situation. Something can go wrong with braking just as well, how many videos have we seen of people grabbing a handful of brake and dumping the bike? Each volume of no prisoners must contain that situation happening dozens of times.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Literally the only thing having lots of power is useful for from a safety standpoint it's escaping psychopaths/crackheads trying to run you off the road.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Apparently whatever plastic the back clamshell and bar mount Trail Tech uses for the "Vapor" gauge is extremely reactive with brake fluid. Even just a couple drops wiped off pretty much immediately dissolved the bar mount and caused the clamshell to crack because of the stress concentration at each through-hole for the machine screws holding this piece of poo poo together. The actual bit that goes on the handlebar and the rest of the gauge are different thermoplastics and don't show any damage. It's been a long time since polymers lab but I guess maybe the other half of the gauge is PPE or something and the melty bits are ABS or PC? Also they don't sell replacement parts for the cluster so I guess I'm getting out the JB weld and running it until it falls off.

I need to get a mill.

edit: it's $20 for half of the handlebar mount. loving nope.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 19, 2017

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Coredump posted:

I won't argue on the frequency. The bar I'm trying to meet is " produce details on a situation that really did require acceleration to escape danger, and on top of that a situation that required more than Rebel 250 acceleration, though. I think it's one of those theoreticals that basically never happens." and I think I've met that, especially if there's a embankment on the side of the road where driving off to the side is not an option. Especially if there is cross traffic on a two lane road, I don't want to bank on the oncoming car moving towards the center lane to avoid me because they will probably want to avoid a head-on collision with the cars coming the other way.

If you look what I quoted you saying that will clear it up bud.

But what it comes down to is acceleration is a valid tool to use in defensive driving and having move gives you a bigger margin of error when you decide to use it. If a SV650 is a valid beginner bike then so is a Ninja 650 so what hell are you all ablublu about. He went from one beginner bike to a slightly bigger beginner bike. Laffo

If you look back you'll see people are ripping him for his attitude, not the bike. In fact I said exactly that in a previous post. But now that you've shifted the goalposts to something that only you are arguing about, do me a favor and look up the 60' times for a 300 and a 650 and tell me what kind of difference that is going to make in your super specific tesla video.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

nsaP posted:

If you look back you'll see people are ripping him for his attitude, not the bike. In fact I said exactly that in a previous post. But now that you've shifted the goalposts to something that only you are arguing about, do me a favor and look up the 60' times for a 300 and a 650 and tell me what kind of difference that is going to make in your super specific tesla video.

Shifting goalposts? Why I'm just replying to statements you made my good nsaP.

Also, people were ripping him for his attitude about his bike.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 19, 2017

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Coredump posted:

Well in that video I see several feet of clear flat looking grass that could be pulled off onto, so I don't see that that one quite meets the test, although it's close. I'm sure if you go through the NHTSA archives or all of youtube you'll find something. It's not an impossible scenario. But I haven't seen one that really looks like it to me yet.

And of course the reason I brought it up is that the scenario is used as an excuse for gixxer bros to get their gixxers ASAP. Weigh that against the number of youtube videos of people simply going in too hot in a corner and running wide. You can barely even count how many times that happens. A scenario where you need braking control or steering control or better forethought.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Coredump posted:

Shifting goalposts? Why I'm just replying to statements you made my good nsaP.

Also, people were ripping him for his attitude about his bike.

Nah, you weren't replying to the statements I made, that was the point....and you still aren't by nitpicking poo poo and avoiding the question I asked, which shows the flaw in your thinking. It's cool tho, you know you're right and that's all that matters.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Hey for what it's worth I've been exclusively riding 8-horsepower-or-less scooters for 13+ years and haven't died from lack of speed. Read ahead, ride roads appropriate for your bike and/or have a bike appropriate for the roads you ride, and read ahead again.

If you're in a situation where power was the only way out you already hosed up.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I wish I had more power when I crashed into the back of that BMW. I could've just sailed over the top with a twist of the wrist.

E: Seriously, though, I've been in waay more situations where it was easier to just slow down or swerve than speed up.

EE: And there are plenty of those situations where I could've been in a better place, thus avoiding any action to begin with.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 20, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the theory of general relativity states that time slows down as your velocity increases, so by extrapolation, the faster you go the more time you have to react. it's obvious really

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Yes, but the faster you go, the more friction there is. Eventually, you'll just end up in a flaming ball.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

its all nice on rice posted:

Yes, but the faster you go, the more friction there is. Eventually, you'll just end up in a flaming ball.

Yes, but the faster you go, the more you experience length contraction in the direction of travel. As you flatten out, you increase your clearance to the vehicle in front. Really it's win-win

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Eventually I'll pass the event horizon of a black hole and send a message to myself in the past via making the bike's tach needle jump in morse code. Alas, this message will not succeed, and I'll wake up in a hospital after five years in a coma. The person I tried to speed through will still be out there, though...

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I regret that I understood that reference.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Carth Dookie posted:

I regret that I understood that reference.

Never regret interstellar.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Well in that video I see several feet of clear flat looking grass that could be pulled off onto, so I don't see that that one quite meets the test, although it's close. I'm sure if you go through the NHTSA archives or all of youtube you'll find something. It's not an impossible scenario. But I haven't seen one that really looks like it to me yet.

See, that feels a lot like the "Or will it be if I present a situation you will move the goalpost and say "you could have done this to escape the danger" due to it not meeting your personal unstated standards for acceleration being the right tool to escape the situation?" that I was referring to. For what its worth I have lived the situation where I had to dump the clutch and get the hell out of there when I was trying to make a left turn one night as I had an embankment to my left. So there you go, there's your one.

nsaP posted:

Nah, you weren't replying to the statements I made, that was the point....and you still aren't by nitpicking poo poo and avoiding the question I asked, which shows the flaw in your thinking. It's cool tho, you know you're right and that's all that matters.

No I really did reply to your statements. Go back and look, I quoted exactly what I was replying to and everything. You feeling ok nsaP?

Coredump fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 20, 2017

tjones
May 13, 2005
Everyone should ride a busa at least once.

EDIT: I'm lost, what was the point again?

tjones fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 20, 2017

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Considering the person who started this whole discussion went from a Ninja 300 to a Ninja 650 every time someone brings up gixxas and hayabusas to try and make some sort of point I lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coredump posted:

Considering the person who started this whole discussion went from a Ninja 300 to a Ninja 650 every time someone brings up gixxas and hayabusas to try and make some sort of point I lol.

I think maybe I'm confused about this argument. Are you suggesting that there is a use case for more acceleration and that therefore it is the good and safe thing to do to buy a 650 if you are just learning? Or are you just arguing that there is a use case for more acceleration but not the second part?

e: I suppose my related question is really about whether you're defending the way this particular decision is made or if you're trying to make a broader point, as well.