Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Mendrian posted:

In my experience, shallow characterization is basically the order of the day for everybody in D&D. If someone is content to write 'Drow' on their character sheet and stop there you probably would have had to twist their arm to explain how their dwarf is new and interesting too.

Yeah, if it's someone who cares about writing backstory then they'll probably take some time to look into the culture of the race they wanna use to find elements to either blend or contrast into it instead of going with the purely superficial take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I really think you guys are leaning too hard on extremes there. Yes there are people who will never characterize anyone ever, but they're not the only players. There's totally people who pick Dwarf or Variant Human or something for its mechanics and then realize "okay how do I make this guy not boring" but would be content with a surface characterization for a kobold or goblin because even though it's shallow, it's weird enough that it's fun right out of the can.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I really think you guys are leaning too hard on extremes there. Yes there are people who will never characterize anyone ever, but they're not the only players. There's totally people who pick Dwarf or Variant Human or something for its mechanics and then realize "okay how do I make this guy not boring" but would be content with a surface characterization for a kobold or goblin because even though it's shallow, it's weird enough that it's fun right out of the can.

There are a couple MTG terms they use for design, that I can't remember. One is designing the mechanics and making the fluff fit, and the other is designing the fluff and making the mechanics fit.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Admiral Joeslop posted:

There are a couple MTG terms they use for design, that I can't remember. One is designing the mechanics and making the fluff fit, and the other is designing the fluff and making the mechanics fit.

Bottom-up vs top-down design. Bottom-up is: "we want a race with +2 str +1 int and gets advantage on con saves once per day, write the fluff." Top down is "this is a race of peaceful crab-people from the land of Clawtopia, figure out their stats."

I dunno if that describes the above so much as getting into different player archetypes.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Unrelated, someone shared a link with me about how Find Familiar doesn't need a brass brazier and holy poo poo I'm done with ever listening to wotc staff for anything other than the barest description of how a confusing mechanic works, because they're clearly just making everything up on a whim.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Krinkle posted:

Yeah that's what I came up with too but people see d and d wiki dot com and say nopeeeee.

Also I don't have the DMG but are there rules for how a large creature using the exact same weapon as a medium creature bumps up the damage die by 2? Would a tiny creature bump it down? Haha would I be doing 1d4 longsword damage?

Pretty sure the "can use weapons normally" bit means the author intended for them to deal normal damage with the shrunken weapons. They basically seem like elves that get a fly speed and once per short rest invisibility as their subrace abilities. I'd put a big fat nope on that if I was running a game, too.

Bias against homebrew races is almost always justified.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Homebrewing races seems hella easy in this version since it's basically +2 to one stat, +1 to another, and a couple minor abilities. Fly speed or a short rest invis aren't minor.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Hello Sailor posted:

Pretty sure the "can use weapons normally" bit means the author intended for them to deal normal damage with the shrunken weapons. They basically seem like elves that get a fly speed and once per short rest invisibility as their subrace abilities. I'd put a big fat nope on that if I was running a game, too.

Bias against homebrew races is almost always justified.

Say you had those DMG rules in front of you. And a (1d4 -1) hp pixie creature picks up a tiny little longsword and attacks with it even though the monster manual says they abhor physical violence. What's their damage roll? That's what i'm curious about. What are the rules for a tiny creature. Carrying capacity is gonna be like five pounds tops. I get that part.

I hate d&d wiki for making GBS threads up my search results and every time I think I found something pertinent to show to the DM they read it and say "no this is homebrew' and after the fifth time of it happening I realized it was literally always d&d wiki. They hide that "this is fake homebrew' disclaimer inconsistently and it fucks me up every time.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 16, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Unrelated, someone shared a link with me about how Find Familiar doesn't need a brass brazier and holy poo poo I'm done with ever listening to wotc staff for anything other than the barest description of how a confusing mechanic works, because they're clearly just making everything up on a whim.

Well, share the link.

Or is it because a brazier has no cost and therefore your component pouch is full of them?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Well, share the link.

Or is it because a brazier has no cost and therefore your component pouch is full of them?

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/07/30/find-familiar-component/

There's no explanation at all. It's just "hi here's a direct contradiction to what's written for no reason whatsoever."

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Unrelated, a great thing happened last night. We got into a situation where a back room had a Dwarven hostage we were looking for and.... another of the same. We'd dealt with doppelgangers enough to assume one of them was just that. Our Paladin had this idea about taking a long rest (which everyone rejected) so that the cleric could prepare Zone of Truth.

I'm like "one of these dwarves is [cleric]'s cousin. We don't need to do all that. We can just talk to them and find out which one knows something only the real one would!"

Paladin: "What, just sit down and have a beer with them like everything's fine?"

Me: "Y- .... wait a minute. Do you still have that special Dwarven ale? The kind that poisons anyone without a hardy Dwarven constitution? Let's just wake them up one at a time and have them both drink!"

I think the DM had completely forgotten about that random throwaway flavor item of the ale cask and took a moment before he'd sign off on it. But it meant not only was it easy to identify the real foe, but once we did, he had the Poisoned condition while we kicked the poo poo out of him.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Nehru the Damaja posted:

This is why I reject people who try to insist on playing 5e RAW. It's one thing to want to rigidly adhere to the rules as written for a well thought out, well designed, finely tuned game where even tiny adjustments can throw things off. 5e is not that game. 5e is being made up as it goes along even at the official level. Don't worry about messing up the game balance, it's all made up!

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Yeah RAW is good for being a common authority to which we can go and resolve something and agree to work under the same rules, but when it is unclear or inadequate, it's better to just go with something that's fair and if possible adds to the story, rather than try to get all Founding Fathers on the empty whims of some nerds.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Last night:

Paladin: "I go up and Gallagher the corpse's head with my hammer."
DM: "What's your alignment?"
Paladin: "Lawful Good?"
DM: "Not anymore it isn't."
Paladin: "What? The cave is full of undead. I'm taking precautions to make sure he doesn't become one too."
DM: "Okay, I need you to roll a persuasion check."
Warlock (me): "What, against the DM!?"
DM: "Yes. I need him to roll persuasion against God."

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Last night:

Paladin: "I go up and Gallagher the corpse's head with my hammer."
DM: "What's your alignment?"
Paladin: "Lawful Good?"
DM: "Not anymore it isn't."
Paladin: "What? The cave is full of undead. I'm taking precautions to make sure he doesn't become one too."
DM: "Okay, I need you to roll a persuasion check."
Warlock (me): "What, against the DM!?"
DM: "Yes. I need him to roll persuasion against God."

That's either awesome or awful, I'm not sure which. Probably both?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The roll itself ended up not mattering because they talked it out some more and came to an understanding. He legitimately was thinking about all the undead we came across while to the DM and myself set against the context of him being a bit of a loose cannon lately, it really looked like he flew off at the handle. It was a perspective thing.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

I would allow your Pixie in a game I ran, Krinkle. :)

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Tir McDohl posted:

I would allow your Pixie in a game I ran, Krinkle. :)

The concept is fun and neat, just that custom race is hilariously more powerful than it should be - which is a bad homebrew standard, to be fair.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

I don't think it's so powerful that it'd ruin a game tbh

I have a pretty lenient style, however

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I love how "an elf but black" is just too far out there for some D&D tables.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Elfgames posted:

You don't understand, it's too zany for my serious table of make-believe!

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Tir McDohl posted:

I don't think it's so powerful that it'd ruin a game tbh

I have a pretty lenient style, however

The problem isn't entirely that flight and invisibility are super OP or whatever, it's that other races get nothing similar and that's not fair to other players. If I were gonna accept a race like that, I'd want to give other races suitably buffed abilities, too. People notice discrepancies like that in play, and speaking as a player it's not a great feeling when you see someone else do a really cool thing that they just get as a bonus when what you get as a bonus is sort of cool sometimes I guess kinda but not really that great. So, as a DM, I'd want to go after that proactively.

Or just devise a couple lower-powered options for the Pixie that still fit the theme, it's actually pretty fun to engage with a player and figure out what's nifty and thematic but's not going to make other players feel like they got cheated.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Elfgames posted:

The marketing of 5E is basically a love letter to the kind of people that want Drow to always and forever be discriminated against, because it's the accumulated fluff (that is pretty strongly influenced by real-world racist [and let's be honest misogynist too, because naturally the most evil in Drow-ness comes from WOMEN WHO WANT TOO MUCH HOW DARE THEY] ideas).

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Re: pixies – maybe just use the 4E pixie rules as far as possible? They could fly but had an altitude limit of 1 square/5 feet, and their only noteworthy other features were Speak with Beasts as a passive ability and an encounter power that let a nearby ally fly up to 6 squares. (And shrinking an item made for Small/Medium creatures down to their size, again as an encounter power.)

It'd be a starting point at least.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Also saying that no other race gets anything like it is rather wrong. There are races, not many but some, that get Flight. They are generally not allowed in Adventure League, because that does not want you to have Flight before 5th level, but that is the only reason. The Invisibility is just another 1/short rest spell. Now generally the races that get spells get like a cantrip and a few other spells 1/day depending on their level, so the fact it is a short rest recharge might be a little faster but not really out of the bounds of actual races.

The shrinking thing really only lets them use items without needing a special item for their size. Now maybe since they are Tiny you can limit them to the same weapons as Small races? Which would mean not certain things like greatswords, greataxes, and probably longbows. But still allow Rapiers or Longswords.

Honestly it isn't that different from the 4e Pixie. Except actual Flight instead of just hover limited, but again 5e has at least 2 official races that have Flight.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Ryuujin posted:

Also saying that no other race gets anything like it is rather wrong. There are races, not many but some, that get Flight. They are generally not allowed in Adventure League, because that does not want you to have Flight before 5th level, but that is the only reason. The Invisibility is just another 1/short rest spell. Now generally the races that get spells get like a cantrip and a few other spells 1/day depending on their level, so the fact it is a short rest recharge might be a little faster but not really out of the bounds of actual races.

The shrinking thing really only lets them use items without needing a special item for their size. Now maybe since they are Tiny you can limit them to the same weapons as Small races? Which would mean not certain things like greatswords, greataxes, and probably longbows. But still allow Rapiers or Longswords.

Honestly it isn't that different from the 4e Pixie. Except actual Flight instead of just hover limited, but again 5e has at least 2 official races that have Flight.

"Some races get a 0-level spell once a day" and "this race gets a 2nd level spell every short rest" is... not even similar at all. Combined with natural flight it is, yes, very overpowered in the context of other races as the system presents them. That's my point. It's not that the race is a god-race that dominates all that stand before it, it's that it's distinctly better than other races, and that's not a great thing to go for.

edit: Honestly the 4E pixie is a solid example, and it seems to have been the inspiration - only the author, as homebrews stereotypically do, wanted it to be more and better.

double edit: Even in the context of granted spells, Invisibility is really powerful; it's not something like Suggestion that Yuan-ti might get, it's got much more narrative weight especially when taken as a whole with other racial abilities

Darwinism fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jun 17, 2017

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Ryuujin posted:

The Invisibility is just another 1/short rest spell.

So is Nystul's Magical Aura, it's even the same level. You'd have to be a special kind of idiot to think that having the ability to cast either that or Invisibility 1/SR are at all comparable.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Darwinism posted:

The problem isn't entirely that flight and invisibility are super OP or whatever, it's that other races get nothing similar and that's not fair to other players. If I were gonna accept a race like that, I'd want to give other races suitably buffed abilities, too. People notice discrepancies like that in play, and speaking as a player it's not a great feeling when you see someone else do a really cool thing that they just get as a bonus when what you get as a bonus is sort of cool sometimes I guess kinda but not really that great. So, as a DM, I'd want to go after that proactively.

Or just devise a couple lower-powered options for the Pixie that still fit the theme, it's actually pretty fun to engage with a player and figure out what's nifty and thematic but's not going to make other players feel like they got cheated.

All of these arguments apply to class balance which makes it pretty funny how in one case (race) it's totally unacceptable and in the other (class) it's expected.
hm, race vs class, perhaps wotc is on to something...

edit: if you want to play a homebrew pixie just bring back the 2e one where it fly and turned visible at will, resulting in a dispel against it turn it back to invis

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 17, 2017

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

The important thing here is I'd only ever be a pixie vengeance paladin, whose armor would probably limit flight to jugular height in short bursts, or a pixie barbarian, who would never go invisible, ever. Those homebrew skills are bad and I agree but I wasn't looking at them I was looking at a tiny playable race and nothing further.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

All of these arguments apply to class balance which makes it pretty funny how in one case (race) it's totally unacceptable and in the other (class) it's expected.
hm, race vs class, perhaps wotc is on to something...

class imbalances affect the entire campaign, while flying and turning invisible become less upsetting when flying and turning invisible are level-appropriate class abilities

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Cease to Hope posted:

class imbalances affect the entire campaign, while flying and turning invisible become less upsetting when flying and turning invisible are level-appropriate class abilities

so you agree playing a pixie is less worse than using a party composition like an original ranger and a wizard together?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

so you agree playing a pixie is less worse than using a party composition like an original ranger and a wizard together?

bad along different axes of progression.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Cease to Hope posted:

bad along different axes of progression.

ha, fair enough. The intersectionality of 5e

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Cease to Hope posted:

This is pretty much the same reason that Variant Human can swing from "very best race, period" all the way to garbage/meh, depending on who's at the wheel.

bookkeeper
Jul 14, 2010

it means "the kapital"

I house rule heavily to make character concepts come to life and play a little fast and loose with the rules of combat to make sure my players are having fun (high damage rolls on enemies that leave them with less than 3 hp do something special, cursed items with benefits, etc). One of my players wanted to play a Protection-style eldritch knight with a shield as his "bonded weapon". I invented this thing:

quote:

Tower Shield. This tall, rectangular metal shield grants a +4 bonus to AC and allows its wielder to set the shield on the ground as an action and take shelter behind it, gaining half cover. Other creatures may also take shelter behind you while you do this, gaining half cover themselves.

The hefty weight of a tower shield reduces its wielder's movement by 2 squares (10 ft). A character whose speed is not reduced by wearing heavy armor has its movement reduced by 1 square (5 ft) instead. A character with the Shield Master feat reduces this penalty by 1 square (5 ft).

Additionally, if you take the Attack action on your turn, you can attempt to bash an enemy with the shield as a bonus action, making your attack roll with disadvantage but dealing 1d6 + Strength modifier bludgeoning damage.

It hasn't really caused many balance issues that our group has been able to detect; the player mostly gets to live out his immovable wall fantasy while not dealing too much damage and being especially tripped up by fast enemies or area of effect spells, but is there anything obvious that I'm not seeing that will crop up later? The party is currently level 4.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I know this thread occasionally appreciates session stories so here is mine from Saturday, as told to a friend of mine.

https://twitter.com/thayelf/status/876526442426769408

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Reene posted:

I know this thread occasionally appreciates session stories so here is mine from Saturday, as told to a friend of mine.

This is fantastic, thank you.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Reclaimer posted:

This is fantastic, thank you.

Waiting for the follow up explanation to the fighters when they get back.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

They're used to things being on fire whenever they miss a game. Things are actually significantly less on fire than they usually are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Darwinism posted:

The marketing of 5E is basically a love letter to the kind of people that want Drow to always and forever be discriminated against, because it's the accumulated fluff (that is pretty strongly influenced by real-world racist [and let's be honest misogynist too, because naturally the most evil in Drow-ness comes from WOMEN WHO WANT TOO MUCH HOW DARE THEY] ideas).

Agreed. It's pretty absurd to think women are capable of being evil in any way, or even more ridiculous, capable of running a civilization.