Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

From what I've seen, the LE will be $5k more to start, but include the RS package. The dealership I bought my RS at has another two right now for MSRP, and I've been reading some of the higher volume dealers are even going below MSRP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

xsf421 posted:

From what I've seen, the LE will be $5k more to start, but include the RS package. The dealership I bought my RS at has another two right now for MSRP, and I've been reading some of the higher volume dealers are even going below MSRP.

Good luck. In other news, CTRs are going for 50k...

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

PaintVagrant posted:

Listed for maybe. No one will pay that.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Heh, dealers are actually planning on being able to mark the Civic R up. I don't understand who to. Anyone that can afford it is easily too old to want to drive a car that ugly :p

While we're on tires, do auto manufacturers just get their tires for next to nothing? The continental 5p that came on my car seems like a great tire, but its loving 300 bucks a pop. I can't imagine VW spends any fraction of the retail price.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

PaintVagrant posted:

One near me has a $25k added market value, puts it right around $61k. Thats like an additional fully loaded normal civic on top of the price.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

veedubfreak posted:

Heh, dealers are actually planning on being able to mark the Civic R up. I don't understand who to. Anyone that can afford it is easily too old to want to drive a car that ugly :p

While we're on tires, do auto manufacturers just get their tires for next to nothing? The continental 5p that came on my car seems like a great tire, but its loving 300 bucks a pop. I can't imagine VW spends any fraction of the retail price.

The best part is that money doesn't buy taste :v:

Also, OEM versions of a tire are generally different than the actual ones sold by the tire company.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

BlackMK4 posted:

The best part is that money doesn't buy taste :v:

Also, OEM versions of a tire are generally different than the actual ones sold by the tire company.

But enough about Trump :)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
24 hour review, had some serious rain today and I couldn't make the car hydroplane even when I was charging in to puddles trying. Highway manners are great too.

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm a fan of vocal tires... you can hear them through a helmet :v:
Totally agree, the RE050s (and the RE-01Rs on the BMW) were unusually quiet at the edge compared to most tires I've experienced. It's just taking some getting used to, but I'd rather have the tires tell me clearly when I'm getting too stupid.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

GutBomb posted:

Listed for maybe. No one will pay that.

For the exclusivity of a model that will only bring 6k to the States, and the omg type-rrrrr, some people will pay it. They did for the RS.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

For the exclusivity of a model that will only bring 6k to the States, and the omg type-rrrrr, some people will pay it. They did for the RS.

Yeah but this isn't the RS. It's a pre-riced hideous civic.

I'm curious to see what the modders do to the car. Will they make it look a bit more restrained?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I wonder if they'll be more or less stolen than the ITR.

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

Any real reasons not to get a '16 RS if I can get it cheap? Except for the early ones blowing motors, and leaking ptus. All that is warrantee anyway. I have a feeling now's the time to get one, Unless the '18s just end up sitting on the Lots too.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Unsane posted:

Any real reasons not to get a '16 RS if I can get it cheap? Except for the early ones blowing motors, and leaking ptus. All that is warrantee anyway. I have a feeling now's the time to get one, Unless the '18s just end up sitting on the Lots too.

New or used?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah the R will sell out comfortably.

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

New or used?

New, there are a few still sitting on the lot around here.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Not useful data point, but the first American Type R went for 200K as a donation for pediatric brain cancer.
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2017-honda-civic-type-r-for-charity/

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I'm keen on an RS but something crazy is stirring in the back of my head.....

Just how unreliable could I expect a used 2015 Audi S1 to be? Yeah yeah VAG etc but no DSG! I imagine you could tune one to go pretty fast
I know ists smaller (like much smaller) then a focus, but that doesn't really concern me. I just want a fun hot hatch again

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

fickle poofterist posted:

Just how unreliable could I expect a used 2015 Audi S1 to be? Yeah yeah VAG etc but no DSG! I imagine you could tune one to go pretty fast
I know ists smaller (like much smaller) then a focus, but that doesn't really concern me. I just want a fun hot hatch again

Might not get many answers since lot of the posters here are American and we don't get the Polo/A1 here to really have input on it.

That said, it seems like it's basically running the Golf GTI engine and we get that in a lot of forms here across the VW and Audi FWD platforms. It doesn't seem to be horrible in any meaningful way. That engine in such a small car with AWD has to be a rocket off the line. My only question would be what transmission is in use and how much can it hold up to.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Went to the Firestone shop by my house today. No Indy 500's in stock anywhere that they can get.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fknlo posted:

Went to the Firestone shop by my house today. No Indy 500's in stock anywhere that they can get.

discount tire direct? they are the way to go for cheap tires, just hold out for a holiday sale

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

discount tire direct? they are the way to go for cheap tires, just hold out for a holiday sale

They don't list them in my size at all on their site. Tirerack is back ordered too. I figured an actual Firestone store would be my best bet but was wrong.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Guess you're just going to have to get a set of Cup 2s. :getin:

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I swear this is an honest question and I'm not trying to troll, but is there a point where the tires you put on a car outperform what the car is capable of? I've pretty much only considered tire differences on higher performance cars, where more grip is almost always a good thing. But, if we're talking about a stock GTI is there a big benefit going with the stickiest tire you can?

It seems like I read a thing about the FRS where they were talking about the "prius tires" it supposedly came with and that it was better to have those tires because if you put bigger tires on with more grip, it made the car less fun. Is this a difference between FWD and RWD? Someone educate me.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I swear this is an honest question and I'm not trying to troll, but is there a point where the tires you put on a car outperform what the car is capable of? I've pretty much only considered tire differences on higher performance cars, where more grip is almost always a good thing. But, if we're talking about a stock GTI is there a big benefit going with the stickiest tire you can?

It seems like I read a thing about the FRS where they were talking about the "prius tires" it supposedly came with and that it was better to have those tires because if you put bigger tires on with more grip, it made the car less fun. Is this a difference between FWD and RWD? Someone educate me.

I'm doing the same research now about my brz and initially I didn't like the tires that came on the car (I used to have super sticky tires on my e30) but I really like how predictable the "Prius tires" are, and unless I supercharg the car soon, I think I'll end up with something similar!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

You're just going to make the car less fun to gently caress around with, at least in the case of a RWD car. FWD might be less fun too, I don't know, but a stock GTI will benefit from nice tires.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Stickier tires will make the car faster around the track. Crappier tires will make the car easier to drift / break the wheels loose, reach the limits of.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

KillHour posted:

Stickier tires will make the car faster around the track. Crappier tires will make the car easier to drift / break the wheels loose, reach the limits of.

The first time I got cheap tires for my e46 I could feel the difference immediately and hated it. But we're talking about a FWD car with 220hp here.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I've honestly never been able to push any tire past it's point of no return, but then again I don't track the car, and only drive at about 75% rear end in a top hat when on the streets.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I want some tires that keep my traction control from constantly kicking on in straight line acceleration. Taking turns at ludicrous speed because you have good tires is also fun.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
There is something to be said for the fun of having worse tires on a low-powered RWD vehicle. When I test drove a BRZ that thing just wanted to get sideways in the best way. My E46 as well was stupidly fun to burn off the winter tires in when I knew I wasn't going to put another season on 'em. Basically reduced traction with a low-powered RWD is slow motion virtual horsepower.

Chris Harris demonstrates here it works just fine with high powered RWD as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPh90yNX-mY

That said it doesn't really apply to FWD the same way. The front wheels are already often hunting for traction and the fun part with RWD is the back end stepping out.

There's also the legitimate point to be made that while the reduced traction can be more exciting it's also objectively less safe as it limits your ability to perform evasive maneuvers.

To me the only "too much tire" criteria as far as street tires go is when the wear rate is bad and the vehicle isn't used on the track. Other than that I say get the best ones you can afford that make sense for the way the vehicle is used.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
When I'm anywhere that isn't meant for doing dumb poo poo with my car, I want all the traction possible all the time. This means using the best tires I can reasonably afford for street use, and not turning the traction control off. Anything less is stupid.

There are places to have fun and do foolish poo poo, but it doesn't belong on public roads ever.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
thats why i drive a fit on hoosiers daily

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Doesn't uh, braking performance also depend on tires? Like good tires mean you stop sooner?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

It's ok to go a bit too fast into turns (when safe, no traffic) to see where your car's limits are. It's also good to practice moose swerves in unfamiliar cars, if you're not confident in what your car is capable of at that speed you can get yourself into a shitload of trouble reeeeeeal quick. Knowing how hard I could swerve at 60mph+ has saved me from really nasty accidents at least three times so far, probably saved my life in one case.

Or you can just panic and slam on the brakes and get hosed by your insurance company regardless of fault.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KakerMix posted:

Doesn't uh, braking performance also depend on tires? Like good tires mean you stop sooner?

Yes, of course. Any car that's not a total pile of poo poo or absurdly over-tired is limited in braking performance by its tires, at least the first time. If you stomp on your brakes at speed you should get lockup or ABS engagement. The limits of the brakes themselves come in with repeated use over a short period of time, like being on a race track or maintaining speed down a hill.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Braking distance is why those Prius tires scare me.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
I almost wrecked a BMW i3 during a test drive because i didn't take into account that the bicycle tires would perform much worse then normal when braking (was snowy, non-studded winter tires). Came up on a 90 degree turn a bit too quick and plowed straight into the (shallow) ditch. Managed to back it out again and the dealer was none the wiser. Good thing i didn't have a rep with me.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Pryor on Fire posted:

It's ok to go a bit too fast into turns (when safe, no traffic) to see where your car's limits are. It's also good to practice moose swerves in unfamiliar cars, if you're not confident in what your car is capable of at that speed you can get yourself into a shitload of trouble reeeeeeal quick. Knowing how hard I could swerve at 60mph+ has saved me from really nasty accidents at least three times so far, probably saved my life in one case.

Or you can just panic and slam on the brakes and get hosed by your insurance company regardless of fault.

Just bear in mind if you successfully avoid an accident that would be the other driver's fault but end up in a ditch that liability decision is going to be against you.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I think I'm going with avoiding accidents as a reflex, and not thinking about it much past that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

wolrah posted:

Yes, of course. Any car that's not a total pile of poo poo or absurdly over-tired is limited in braking performance by its tires, at least the first time. If you stomp on your brakes at speed you should get lockup or ABS engagement. The limits of the brakes themselves come in with repeated use over a short period of time, like being on a race track or maintaining speed down a hill.

Right yeah this is what I thought. It was just weird that the whole conversation was about performance outside of stopping. Going fast is cool but useless without being able to stop once you are there, like when people talk about having four wheel drive in winter. Yes you can get going much easier with four wheel but you can't stop any better than someone with two wheel drive.