Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't open with it, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Summer 2017: Pool Time? POOL TIME!

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Davincie posted:

fannysonally, feel like we can skip that chapter

Agreed, and also congratulations on your creation of a new word.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Davincie posted:

fannysonally, feel like we can skip that chapter
You're gonna make Isabeau sad! :mad:

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
no one will keep watching CW unless they open with that chapter, because after that it's hundreds of pages of the authors weird political beliefs

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
now i have to read centaur's worries just to see if relin is just being an idiot

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Relin posted:

no one will keep watching CW unless they open with that chapter, because after that it's hundreds of pages of the authors weird political beliefs

Define 'weird'.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Darth Walrus posted:

Define 'weird'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y65BLY4FDI

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

please, theres enough fanservice in cw to keep anyfur going

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
why is the first chapter of cw a meme when the same level of frank, open-minded sex talk is in the rest of the series, just interspersed throughout instead of frontloaded

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Centaur's Worries is the woke monster girl anime

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

an actual dog posted:

Centaur's Worries is the woke monster girl anime
Wasn't that the one with the beefy teacher?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Summer Season 2017: ADTRW's Worries

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

now i have to read centaur's worries just to see if relin is just being an idiot
even if he's right about the author's political beliefs, he's still an idiot.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Space Flower posted:

why is the first chapter of cw a meme when the same level of frank, open-minded sex talk is in the rest of the series, just interspersed throughout instead of frontloaded

It's exactly that I think. It's the first chapter of what is ostensibly a cute slice of life, so it's just surprising. Audience expectation being different than what they get leaves a big impression, regardless of if it's good or bad or uhh . . . SFW spoilers

:perfect:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Darth Walrus posted:

Define 'weird'.

He's what you might term a... SJW

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
mangaka of a story that opens up with mythological beasts comparing vaginas: i think everyone should kiss everyone, and minorities shouldn't be oppressed

relin: well this got weird

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

mangaka of a story that opens up with mythological beasts comparing vaginas: i think everyone should kiss everyone, and minorities shouldn't be oppressed

relin: well this got weird
wait is that actually the weird political beliefs he was referring to

holy hell

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i loving love ascribing views to others

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i don't know many sjws who support the death penalty for prejudice. if anything the hyperbole is a critique

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Relin posted:

i don't know many sjws who support the death penalty for prejudice. if anything the hyperbole is a critique

I didn't read all the chapters, but while the society depicted had strict laws and unwritten rules regarding hate speech, etc., I don't remember any mention of the death penalty.

I didn't get the impression that the author was either fully endorsing or fully criticizing the way the society worked, so much as depicting the way he felt a relatively harmonious society with several ethnic groups of roughly equal sizes and with distinctive appearances would probably work. (It sounds odd to talk about that as if it's a fantasy scenario with no real-world equivalent, but in a way it is.)

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 19, 2017

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

wow, this manga is woker than I thought

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

an actual dog posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Summer 2017: wow, this manga is woker than I thought

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

an actual dog posted:

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Relin posted:

hundreds of pages of the authors weird political beliefs

Ah yes, the same reason I dislike the works of Tolkien. After all, he was clearly in support of a society of murderous orcs led by a wizard. You know, because he depicted that in a work of fiction.

an actual dog posted:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mentat Radnor posted:

Ah yes, the same reason I dislike the works of Tolkien. After all, he was clearly in support of a society of murderous orcs led by a wizard. You know, because he depicted that in a work of fiction.

You joke but stuff with orcs did become a point of contention, for some good reasons that someone more well-versed in tokien than me could elaborate on.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Endorph posted:

wait is that actually the weird political beliefs he was referring to

holy hell

to be fair, if he just meant the politics in the manga are heavy handed and it only gets thicker later on, that'd be understandable. but I'd still disagree because the politics is part of the detailed world building that makes the series interesting and relevant.

woke: an in-universe magical girl show about a girl who fights against political ideologies to protect the happiness of her classmates

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Srice posted:

You joke but stuff with orcs did become a point of contention, for some good reasons that someone more well-versed in tokien than me could elaborate on.

Well poo poo, it figures. Actually that highlights my point; an author could write a fiction book about cute yeast cells going about their lives, eating sugar and farting CO2, reproducing by budding, and someone somewhere would call out the author for supporting fascism.

Space Flower posted:

but I'd still disagree because the politics is part of the detailed world building that makes the series interesting and relevant.

Yeah, this.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Srice posted:

I'm not super well-read on it but I thought the controversy with orcs wasn't about whether Tolkein supported orc society or anything but that creating an entire race of creatures that exist to be the murderous villainous bad guys can be read as having some unfortunate implications. Though that could have just been one part of it I suppose.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm not super well-read on it but I thought the controversy with orcs wasn't about whether Tolkein supported orc society or anything but that creating an entire race of creatures that exist to be the murderous villainous bad guys can be read as having some unfortunate implications. Though that could have just been one part of it I suppose.

Tolkien himself came to regret the inherent evilness of orcs because it went against his beliefs regarding free will.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Talking about Tolkein having weird political views, and somehow no one brings up that like half of Return of the King was a dumb plot line that only existed so he could rant about industrialization being bad? I mean they even had to awkwardly skip it in the movie.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The wonderful world we could live in, if we jailed and executed all the racists.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
thanks centaur obama (i'm not making this one up either)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
this is the future liberals want

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

lol

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

The Ballroom and Quiz shows look like they could be interesting. And the Clean Soccer Player show is suitably bizarre

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Cup Noodle seem to be turning Kiki's Delivery Service into some kind of after story commercial series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPXyzfCvNDs

Not sure the world needed this.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

an actual dog posted:

This is loving stupid.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i agree, grouchio is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Colonel posted:

i agree, grouchio is
I keep getting pinned for stuff and I don't get it.

• Locked thread