Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
DJ Wilson is apparently a late bloomer, so this could change, but right now he feels like the kind of guy who looks like he should be much better than he actually is

I get the attraction of a guy with a legit PF body who has the mobility to guard 3-5 and shoot 3s, but based on how long it took him to become a productive college player he's one of the guys I would be most concerned about Figuring It Out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report/status/876558456676913153

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If they actually take Tatum that trade is going to be even funnier

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Tatum is literally Rudy Gay 2.0

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I get why they'd compare him to Pierce because he is skilled for his age and has some of that old man game, but playing like Pierce and being an efficient scorer is really hard to do. He's not a great athlete and a good but not great shooter so he's going to have to covert tough shots at a really high rate.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

MourningView posted:

I get why they'd compare him to Pierce because he is skilled for his age and has some of that old man game, but playing like Pierce and being an efficient scorer is really hard to do. He's not a great athlete and a good but not great shooter so he's going to have to covert tough shots at a really high rate.

Yeah, people have kinda forgotten how good Pierce was in his prime. He's easily a first ballot HOFer and he also was a defensive stud unlike Tatum.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jordan Bell is a 'film buff', here is his top 5
1. Transformers, the 3rd one
2. The Color Purple
3. Purple Rain
4. Con Air
5. Life

I'm taking him off of my big board.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

ButtWolf posted:

2. The Color Purple
3. Purple Rain
4. Con Air
5. Life

Yikes...the 3rd TF film was garbage.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Which draft prospect is most likely to come back with some obscure Ingmar Bergman film

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

That's actually a pretty cool list compared to most college students who would make the same claim but one imagines this guy would much prefer to play for Toronto, Phoenix, LAL, or Sacramento over any other teams. Do the Bucks still do a purple jersey?

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

ButtWolf posted:

2. The Color Purple
3. Purple Rain
4. Con Air
5. Life

Con Air was the first R-rated film I ever saw in theatres, so I'll give him a pass for Transformers

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Con air not ranked first? To China with ye

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

chunkles posted:

Which draft prospect is most likely to come back with some obscure Ingmar Bergman film

Lauri Markannen in a show of Nordic solidarity.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Tatum is literally Rudy Gay 2.0

You can really plug in any 6'8ish 3/4 scorer not a passer not a defender type that suits your fancy or your opinion of him, Tobias Harris, Harrison Barnes, a less good than young Carmelo Carmelo anthony, it doesn't quite describe him. He's a 3/4 who can score from isolation, shoots well from the midrange but not from three, and can get to the rim despite just being a good but not great run/jump athlete .

He only shot 34% from the college line but he's being projected as a great NBA 3p shooter. This is a red flag. His shooting motion is incredibly slow, it's a very nice shot, but it's very slow, so his shot gets contested more than you'd expect. But his midrange jumper is Tobias Harris-esque, he can start a drive and pull up into it at will (Anyone can, but you get my meaning). Tobias Harris esque in this case is a good thing. As a 4, he's again very Tobias Harris esque, he gets short jumpers that he makes easily over power forwards. HOWMEVER, he played the 3 as 4 role for Duke and might not get looks so easily in the NBA. That's a concern. Justise Winslow certainly looked like a much better scorer for Duke than he does now, in the same role, albeit as a very different player. The other problem with a Rudy Gay comp is that young Rudy Gay was a super athlete, people were saying "COULD HE BE THE NEXT LEBRON" because he had the body, the strength, the speed. Jayson Tatum is not the next Lebron.

He either looks like a really smooth scorer or nothing at all. He is not in the same galaxy as Fultz as a prospect. Fultz fits the NBA PNR everything pg mold perfectly, a little too perfectly, that's the only real mark against him other than consistent defensive effort. You have to be suspicious when someone is the next someone who's good right this minute, because they're not, nobody is anybody else except terrance ferguson who is terrence Ross but maybe worse.

In a vacuum, do the Caeltycs need a wing who can produce his own offense? Yes. Does this mean they know Gordog Hayward is re-signing in Utah? Yes, probably. I think he'll be productive as a 4 against bench players, mirroring Tobias Harris. Can he be a 20ppg scorer if he makes open jump shots created through Brad Stevens's offense, possibly. They've played so few true small forwards that I had to scratch the back of my mind to remember what 6'8 wings look like running Brad Stevens's offense, not 6'5 shooting guards without jumpers.

Ainge doesn't want to be ridiculed for taking a (probably very probably )better version of the guy who he took before prudence would have had him, in Jaylen Brown, last year. Jorsh Jackson has all the upside. But drafting another 4 who is now a three, rather than a 3 who did-play-4 would also limit choices for the next draft which might be big heavy.

Tatum is a compromise, the result of a lot of wishy washy decision making, they want to keep vying to be the second best team behind the Cavs while building a young core, they don't want to stack positions while leaving others unfilled. Drafting for need instead of bpa is a frightening prospect, especially since they already traded down. It's not the NFL. Even if Josh Jackson could bust hard if his jumper doesn't work, rulin g him out because Jaylen Brown showed flashes of competency is incredibly rash. And the way everyone universally flipped to Potatytum says that he is (PROBABLY) the pick.

Isaiah Thomas will definitely be re-signed.

In the end Taytum is a good scoring wing who probably got more points than his talent would have allowed was he not playing the 4. Scoring wings are always in demand. They're like centers, if you don't have one, you really really want one. Even if they don't pass, you want em bad, real bad. His ceiling is probably twice as low as Josh Jackson, but don't worry, there are more picks, and more picks, and more picks, more picks, they're almost going to trade for Kevin Durant, they're might be trading for Klay Thompson, they have a package and New Orleans is ready to Move On from Anthony Davis, etc

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 19, 2017

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really really dont like Tony Bradley. He seems like maybe you might take a chance at 55 or something, but he looks like a nothing to me.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

drat.

https://twitter.com/MarkelleF/status/876566556758745088

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

any time you choose to build your team around a 5'5'' pointguard that cant play defense, you gotta do it

my dream was taking fultz and selling isaiah off to anyone that is buying.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Con Air loving rules, Jordan Bell is welcome on my team

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Zyla posted:

any time you choose to build your team around a 5'5'' pointguard that cant play defense, you gotta do it

my dream was taking fultz and selling isaiah off to anyone that is buying.

No no,

a 5'5" pointguard that can't play defense who's almost 30 and wants max money!

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
i wish my team had a player as good as IT.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lmao.

ButtWolf posted:

2. The Color Purple
3. Purple Rain
4. Con Air
5. Life

That is awesome, he's moving UP my big board.

ButtWolf posted:

I really really dont like Tony Bradley. He seems like maybe you might take a chance at 55 or something, but he looks like a nothing to me.

I've never got him at all. Like he was a situational player in college, so now someone's going to draft him with a first round pick? Doesn't make sense. I guess he did have the play of the playoffs with that rebound but that seems like a rough reason to draft someone.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MourningView posted:

Con Air loving rules, Jordan Bell is welcome on my team

It rules as a bad fun time movie. Then again my favorite movie until I was like 25 was Bloodsport. Its mostly the Transformers 3 thing that bums me out. He had good answers to dX interview questions though. He can stay on my board but is penalized.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Bloodsport vs Kickboxer. Opinions.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Con Air is great and Life is a very funny movie, Bernie Mack, ahhh mwahh finger kiss. I think transformers 3 was the least bad of all of those awful awful movies. Rosie Huntington Whitely was strutting around with her face stuffed like a trick or treat bag at 8 pm with dermal fillers

WhyteRyce posted:

Bloodsport, man, come on
The compound fracture, the flashbacks, the accent, it's a perfect film. Just think of Jean Claude in his racerback tanktop, baby oil glistening as he does the splits. A work of art. Inspired the legendary fighter from the first Mortal Kombat tournament, Johnny Cage.

Kickboxer, just a fun B movie.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 19, 2017

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

WhyteRyce posted:

Bloodsport hands down. The Death Touch scene is one of my favorites.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
How could Con Air possibly be in your top five unless you've only ever watched Michael Bay movies and stuff that had Shia Lebouff in it

Five movies undeniably better than Con Air that wouldn't crack my top five:

The Shining
The Godfather
Layer Cake
Guardians of the Galaxy
Bad Santa

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Jordan Bell is actually a leading film critic specializing in Vulgar Auterism and movies about Purple

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

milk milk lemonade posted:

How could Con Air possibly be in your top five unless you've only ever watched Michael Bay movies and stuff that had Shia Lebouff in it

Five movies undeniably better than Con Air that wouldn't crack my top five:

The Shining
The Godfather
Layer Cake
Guardians of the Galaxy
Bad Santa

His list is better than yours and the only problem problem with con air in his list is that if he's seen that, surely to Betsy he's seen Face/Off??

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Con Air was good but with that ensemble it should be way, way better and not something that is only on par with The Rock or Face Off

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Con Air is a below average Nicolas Cage film, which is really saying something.

Transformers is for literal retards and they're all horrible, horrible movies

Idgaf about the rest of his list

Edit: Face Off is 100x better than Con Air:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6ljb8hyyHXA

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Getting a minor in film taught me that people under 25 who have a top 5 list that doesn't contain mostly fun movies are usually not fun to be around.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

WhyteRyce posted:

Con Air was good but with that ensemble it should be way, way better and not something that is only on par with The Rock or Face Off

I'm very confused that you seem to be implying The Rock and Face Off aren't also awesome.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Rick posted:

Getting a minor in film taught me that people under 25 who have a top 5 list that doesn't contain mostly fun movies are usually not fun to be around.

For sure.

milk milk lemonade posted:

Con Air is a below average Nicolas Cage film, which is really saying something.

Transformers is for literal retards and they're all horrible, horrible movies

Idgaf about the rest of his list

Edit: Face Off is 100x better than Con Air:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6ljb8hyyHXA

I wish John D'Amico's piece on how Bay (who has a grad degree in art and studied modernist painting alongside film) and his art team incorporate Italian cubism/futurism into the Transformers designs was still available for free use when people sling around ableist slurs like this but sadly it ain't.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Haha too bad I responded at all I now see you're being facetious well played

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Jota posted:

I'm very confused that you seem to be implying The Rock and Face Off aren't also awesome.

They are both awesome movies as well but did it with less. They shouldn't be able to go toe to toe with Con Air and that cast but they both had something extra in it that Con Air was lacking

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
goddammit I love you guys.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

WhyteRyce posted:

They are both awesome movies as well but did it with less. They shouldn't be able to go toe to toe with Con Air and that cast but they both had something extra in it that Con Air was lacking

The Rock is honestly just as stacked with great character actors, Cage, Connery, Harris, Biehn, Forsythe, McGinley, Todd, that guy from 90s sitcom Boston Commons

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

WhyteRyce posted:

Peak Travolta and Cage playing each other as each other playing each other is full on mind blowing, and Face/Off has a cast of sneaky great bit players, Gina Gerson, Joan Allen, CCH Pounder, John Carrol Lynch.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I rest my case: https://youtu.be/wPVAq94Tk9M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

WhyteRyce posted:

Only the Strong

• Locked thread