Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Option B

Let's show them how it feels when someone kicks in their door!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I want to vote B, but I'm voting D because we need to finish the fight!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

These are all too good and you are a fiend and a villain for forcing us to choose between them.

A. I'm quite invested in how the DS plotline has developed so far ever since the Luthien mission oh so long ago.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I can't not vote B.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Well, if nothing else, I was right about this vote being an overwhelming abundance of riches. Jesus, there's only one of those options that doesn't immediately jump out at me as "OH, let's do that one!"

I'm going to have to think about this for awhile.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
B

Limitations are meant to be broken.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
It is a foregone conclusion that this thread will vote for B, which is unfortunate, because I believe that one will be the least fun to play however interesting the ramifications may be.

My vote is for A. Luthien. We fought there and took it once- it is our duty to take it once more.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I wonder if we'll ever revisit Carlos Marik sometime this year. I'm feeling pretty nostalgic about my turn playing. Also kinda regretful because man I was a dick.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
A

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Here's my thoughts on A, B, and D. I'd fully welcome counterpoints or more info to help me decide.

A) The Drac Suns going on the offensive to take back the Drac capital world? Together? Against the Clans? That sounds like a hell of a fight.
Upsides: The narrative for this has the potential to be even more interesting than the NRWR, there's a bunch of ways this Campaign could go, and you get to punch Clanners in the face.
Downsides: I kinda want to see the Drac Suns blow up comically, and having Goonlance play them doesn't really further that goal.

B) The NRWR sends their A-Team in on a one-way deep strike raid to gently caress up the Clan homeworlds!
Upsides: It's the NRWR, a daring raid with lots of potential for oddity, and we'd be smacking the Clans right in their stupid monkey faces where they couldn't deny it. Also, ostensibly a revenge raid for the loss of dear Uncle Stevie.
Downside: I can't picture in my head how this would work from a mission perspective, and I'm not sure necessarily if Uncle Stevie would back this or D.

D) Cyborgs (and possibly Demon Hawks) avenge Uncle Stevie.
Upsides: AVENGE UNCLE STEVIE! Cyborgs, possibly Demon Hawks, closure for the Andurien campaign. We get one last chance to punish the Clans that came to Andurien without calling for backup for being stupid. Probably the least work for PTN of the 3?
Downsides: Almost certainly less strategically important than option B as far as "beat up Clanners" goes. Uncle Stevie may have preferred us backing B with that in mind. Probably less varied missions than options A or B on the backend.

PTN, can we get an idea of what was in that message broadcast to the NRWR before the vote? I feel like it'd go a long way (for me) towards deciding whether B or D was what Amaris VI was shooting for in the wake of his death.

[EDIT]And I think this is actually a really good vote. There is no "foregone conclusion" option like a couple of the previous ones. Even the NRWR vote is split between two options, and the Luthien task force is super interesting in its own right.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Oh my god all of these sound so good.

But only one will give me the chance to see how sanguine our pilots are about their 'Mech selections - as well as revisit the location of one of the thread's most iconic battles. Voting A.

(who wants to bet that the Clanners have knocked down a bunch of buildings so that a Clanner's advance can never again be blocked by a single 'Mech standing there being a jerk?)

E:

Viva Miriya posted:

I wonder if we'll ever revisit Carlos Marik sometime this year. I'm feeling pretty nostalgic about my turn playing. Also kinda regretful because man I was a dick.

You weren't so much of a dick that I could remember what the hell you're talking about, so it must not have been too bad, man. ;)

And yeah, I want to see Carlos again. Carlos was awesome.

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 19, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

God I want B so much, but I can't pass up D for Manei Domini style cyberzombie bullshit.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If B wins I hope the players are the clans.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
A

Goonlance took Luthien once, we'll take it again!

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Voting B. Time to teach those Clanners eugenics by the sword.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
You know what? A

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Oh my god all of these sound so good.

But only one will give me the chance to see how sanguine our pilots are about their 'Mech selections - as well as revisit the location of one of the thread's most iconic battles. Voting A.

(who wants to bet that the Clanners have knocked down a bunch of buildings so that a Clanner's advance can never again be blocked by a single 'Mech standing there being a jerk?)

E:

You weren't so much of a dick that I could remember what the hell you're talking about, so it must not have been too bad, man. ;)

And yeah, I want to see Carlos again. Carlos was awesome.

I literally called someone a retard over shooting the gatehouse. That was p rude though brief.

e: also yeah Carlos Crusaders need to ride again.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Man, B, C and D are all so tempting. (Let the spheroid sword shatter against the Hell's Horses education and consideration of the peons.)

B, I want to see the NRWR with the gloves off conquering Strana Mechty and crashing the orbiting burial ship somewhere insulting.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Voting B.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I vote B, because I feel like it's the likeliest chance of the Clans managing to win a fight here and I like the Clans. :shobon:

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

drat I'm so torn between B and D.... hmm

B

While the demon hawks might be fun, let's see how this group deals with having no effective resupply

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
2nd Battle of Luthien? Pfft, who cares.
2 different ways that Uncle Steve is sticking it to the Clans? Yeah, that's actually pretty interesting.

But hot hot Clan on Clan action? This I gotta see. :getin: Voting C.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Zaodai posted:

Here's my thoughts on A, B, and D. I'd fully welcome counterpoints or more info to help me decide.

A) The Drac Suns going on the offensive to take back the Drac capital world? Together? Against the Clans? That sounds like a hell of a fight.
Upsides: The narrative for this has the potential to be even more interesting than the NRWR, there's a bunch of ways this Campaign could go, and you get to punch Clanners in the face.
Downsides: I kinda want to see the Drac Suns blow up comically, and having Goonlance play them doesn't really further that goal.

B) The NRWR sends their A-Team in on a one-way deep strike raid to gently caress up the Clan homeworlds!
Upsides: It's the NRWR, a daring raid with lots of potential for oddity, and we'd be smacking the Clans right in their stupid monkey faces where they couldn't deny it. Also, ostensibly a revenge raid for the loss of dear Uncle Stevie.
Downside: I can't picture in my head how this would work from a mission perspective, and I'm not sure necessarily if Uncle Stevie would back this or D.

D) Cyborgs (and possibly Demon Hawks) avenge Uncle Stevie.
Upsides: AVENGE UNCLE STEVIE! Cyborgs, possibly Demon Hawks, closure for the Andurien campaign. We get one last chance to punish the Clans that came to Andurien without calling for backup for being stupid. Probably the least work for PTN of the 3?
Downsides: Almost certainly less strategically important than option B as far as "beat up Clanners" goes. Uncle Stevie may have preferred us backing B with that in mind. Probably less varied missions than options A or B on the backend.

PTN, can we get an idea of what was in that message broadcast to the NRWR before the vote? I feel like it'd go a long way (for me) towards deciding whether B or D was what Amaris VI was shooting for in the wake of his death.

[EDIT]And I think this is actually a really good vote. There is no "foregone conclusion" option like a couple of the previous ones. Even the NRWR vote is split between two options, and the Luthien task force is super interesting in its own right.

I'm thinking similarly on this and would love to see all three scenarios play out here. I'm going to hold off on actually voting for now because I genuinely can't decide which I want.

Excited by the possibilities no matter what we end up with.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
A is my top choice, though they are all tempting

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
A. We've seen a metric ton of NRWR stuff, and having a front where they aren't involved at all would be nice for a while. And the internal tensions with the DS are really cool and might make for a really interesting battle. It also ties into the political vote nicely, and shenanigans are guaranteed no matter whether the operation is successful or not.

Also B is pretty hosed up when you consider that even in the most charitable reading, "I just want the Homeworld Clan society reduced to an agrarian one" means isolating the entire society hundreds of LY away from the next non-Clan humans and dooming them to probably centuries of not even having the ability to communicate the Kerensky Cluster worlds, depending on how thorough the NRWR decide to be. I mean, yeah the clans are jerks, and yeah every faction in BTech has its share of war crimes, but seriously, that's really hosed up. And that's assuming that Stevie the Younger wasn't just being quippy and actually just means "bombard them back to the stone age and kill everyone" in which case it's even more problematic. Either way you slice it, it pretty much puts the NRWR in "...are we the baddies?" mode.

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
I had to think carefully between A, B, and D. I'm throwing my vote in for B.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

We already know he doesn't mean bombard them back to the stone age because he explicitly said that if he wanted to do that he'd just bombard their worlds with jump torpedoes. It's not like hitting a planet sized target is hard when they've been observing the homeworlds for years, or that the Clans could move the planets out of the way even if the NRWR fires 200 near misses before getting hits.

I'm not saying it's not war crime-y, I'm just saying, we do actually know he's not sending them to just do orbital bombardment.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I think the most interesting choice here, narratively, is how the FedSuns work out in an actual scenario, so it's A for me.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Zaodai posted:

We already know he doesn't mean bombard them back to the stone age because he explicitly said that if he wanted to do that he'd just bombard their worlds with jump torpedoes. It's not like hitting a planet sized target is hard when they've been observing the homeworlds for years, or that the Clans could move the planets out of the way even if the NRWR fires 200 near misses before getting hits.

I'm not saying it's not war crime-y, I'm just saying, we do actually know he's not sending them to just do orbital bombardment.

I mean, his concerns are primarily about ecological damage and he's also sending the units mostly likely to go all genocide-y if they get out of control so it's not 100% clear cut as to whether he's actually perfectly okay with worse poo poo happening than his explicit orders state.

And again even in the most charitable reading it's still probably one of the most hosed up things a faction has done in this timeline and I don't think PTN is really intending it to come off as A Good And Totally Cool Plan.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I don't think any of the plans anyone has enacted in this timeline are supposed to come off as Good and Totally Cool on the moral scale. Let's All Play Battletech: Everybody is a monstrous dickbag.

Does anybody remember what that broadcast Amaris left the Clans said when they raided that base in the FWL with their ghost mechs? Wasn't it basically a "kill me now or forever stay your hand" type deal? I get the feeling he gave them the chance to walk away, even if he never really expected them to take it.

I do have to say, though. You're selling me on B.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Zaodai posted:

I don't think any of the plans anyone has enacted in this timeline are supposed to come off as Good and Totally Cool on the moral scale. Let's All Play Battletech: Everybody is a monstrous dickbag.

Does anybody remember what that broadcast Amaris left the Clans said when they raided that base in the FWL with their ghost mechs? Wasn't it basically a "kill me now or forever stay your hand" type deal? I get the feeling he gave them the chance to walk away, even if he never really expected them to take it.

I do have to say, though. You're selling me on B.

I mean it is the most Cappellan-like option so that's not really going to surprise much of anyone

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Fraction Jackson posted:

I mean it is the most Cappellan-like option so that's not really going to surprise much of anyone

I'd contend that option D is probably more Cappellan. Take all our wondrous super toys and have a dick-waving contest that will destroy them all for nominal gain.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Voting A

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
A has the most potential for shenanigans. Seeing two former rivals trying to work together in one of the most important battles to date is something I can't pass up.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

B misjuuuuump fun times?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
A, if only for the potential reuse of the previous Luthien map.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Throw out my vote for A

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Holy poo poo I cannot choose between these to save my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Gwaihir posted:

Holy poo poo I cannot choose between these to save my life.

A wise man once told me, "Roll a die for it, then pick the one you were secretly hoping would turn up."

• Locked thread