Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

MedicineHut posted:

I feel grief for Btak

fe 1: Derek was right.

fe 2: well not yet really.

Turns out by "PVP slider" they really meant to say "variable conditions in our TOS".

Another successfully achieved promise! Good job Chris, you coded the poo poo out of that one! Bet it was an all night bender too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
For the mech fans here, imagine how badass MWO would be if it were made by :frontier: instead of :pgi:... like for example if the clan invasion was handled like Thargoids (I remember Beer/goons suggesting a similar introduction along these lines back then), VR compatible mechanics and implementation etc. I suppose there's at least a slim to none chance, but a side benefit of SC if they ever manage to make anything but a mess out of cigazon's 'lumberstar engineyard' or whatever the gently caress they call it ends up working even in a much more limited scope, is that Sean Tracy still has a hard on to make MWLL in that engine

I guess there's also a nonzero chance MW5 won't suck as well but I'm not holding my breath for either, just noting possible forks in the continuum of our timeline we occupy.

Happy father's day, relevant friendos.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Happy Father's Day to all the thread dads. :shobon:

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

The Titanic posted:

Happy Father's Day to all the thread dads. :shobon:

And to those that have fathered threads. They're the most precious legacy we shall leave behind.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

HycoCam posted:

It was a chili discussion, right? Beans don't go in chili. Beans and meat make a stew or soup.

Beans, after the actual chilies, are the most important part of chili. Like, :cmon:, do you think cowboys ate chili without beans?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Taxxe

http://i.imgur.com/UbqwIo5.gifv

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/876211677850607616

So CRobberts shows up for a funeral in wing commander 3. I wonder if he'll make a showing for star citizen's funeral or will he be too busy shopping for countries without extradition treaties.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/876492389694799880

HAPPY FATHERS DAY... sale. :negative:

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/SC_Facts/status/876385656171356162

The game lore is becoming self aware because the same will be said of this game.

They tried to build dreams and after 70 years it still wasn't complete and was a huge drain on the economy/whales.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Space Crabs posted:

MoMA came in here to say the first reveal of the thargolds or whatever was a boring, pointless cinematic
And I'm sure he wasn't sobbing quietly as he typed that out.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SieciowyToster/status/876514579353919488

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

tooterfish posted:

And I'm sure he wasn't sobbing quietly as he typed that out.

He doesn't work on weekends so don't expect a post about it until Monday morning.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

lol that's such loving horseshit, I regularly see comments over there accusing Derek of being divorced and/or lying about the existence of his wife and kid. What a bunch of assholes.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

He doesn't work on weekends so don't expect a post about it until Monday morning.

Lately they have only been paying him part-time for 2 days a week tops. I consider that a huge red flag.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

kayak need to step his game up

http://i.imgur.com/LNhnrPX.gifv

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Amazing Zimmo posted:

The game lore is becoming self aware because the same will be said of this game.

They tried to build dreams and after 70 years it still wasn't complete and was a huge drain on the economy/whales.

If only they'd financed their terraforming project by selling jpgs

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Ok with the serialized variables thing, are they talking about marshalling data or are they using some other definition of serialization? Because if they're treating marshaling data as a big feature, how are they not getting huge wtfs from anyone with a programming background?

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Then again this is probably like when they rounded up persistence as a feature. The star citizens did not seem to see that as a big red flag either.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
I mean I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when they say "Were working on serialising variables" expecting that to be a big deal and then their fan base actually treats it like a big deal.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Thoatse posted:

kayak need to step his game up

http://i.imgur.com/LNhnrPX.gifv

soccer dog owns. We'll put "kickin rad beach soccer" on Kayak's list of things to learn, right below "How to trust the vacuum robot" lol

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

ryde posted:

I mean I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when they say "Were working on serialising variables" expecting that to be a big deal and then their fan base actually treats it like a big deal.

This is the same fanbase that seems desperate to point out the development started later than it actually did, don't forget.

They would view fundamentals only being worked on recently as ammunition for their arguments.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ryde posted:

Ok with the serialized variables thing, are they talking about marshalling data or are they using some other definition of serialization? Because if they're treating marshaling data as a big feature, how are they not getting huge wtfs from anyone with a programming background?

So far, the answer is that they're getting huge wtfs from anyone with a programming background.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
why are basic programming tasks stretch goals or announceables?

"We're going to store serialised variables persistently" means "We're storing some poo poo in a database and transmitting it when the game runs" right?

Right?

W . T . F ?

Scruffyhawk
Jun 30, 2005

FHNNNNNNN
Ramrod XTreme
Anyone remember Thermidor? They're back with a new Kickstarter!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/222154173/thermidor-jrpg-by-hyperdevbox-japan

Looks like ol' Ron has raised about 900 dollars out of 150 grand in the last 3 days or so. Maybe they'll hit it big this time around!

Recommended reading if you're not up on the Thermidor saga: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793353&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Apparently cheetahs meow like regular kitties... who knew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb_Vu9YFqjE

Septic Tank Gulag
Jun 19, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
What if that time Ben went to the hospital, it wasn't a hospital at all. What if it was a secret underground mocap studio that crobber filled with actors to tell Ben everything was fine and he's actually not sick in any way and that Star Citizen will be done soon and the greatest space game ever?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Beet Wagon posted:

lol that's such loving horseshit, I regularly see comments over there accusing Derek of being divorced and/or lying about the existence of his wife and kid. What a bunch of assholes.

You mean like the following?

More examples here: 1, 2, 3.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Septic Tank Gulag posted:

What if that time Ben went to the hospital, it wasn't a hospital at all. What if it was a secret underground mocap studio that crobber filled with actors to tell Ben everything was fine and he's actually not sick in any way and that Star Citizen will be done soon and the greatest space game ever?

makes u think

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

Amazing Zimmo posted:

"We can build entire planets but still use mops from the 20th century." -Star Citizen

well HECK Phil fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 19, 2017

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Dementropy posted:

Mensa member? That's pretty offensive. Nobody over 30 would ever willingly admit to being in mensa. :colbert:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

ryde posted:

Honestly, it's secret code for "we are so out of our depth and once people realize Star Citizen is only going to be an arena shooter with maybe 16 players on a server we are going to lose future sales because Fleet action is impossible and our whole sales pitch for the game turned out to be wrong because we promised before we had the technology."

It's rather long, but it has to be because it's 5 years worth of people buying ships under the belief they would be in a twitch gameplay session of Eve Online with thousands of other players. Once they lose the "you are in a living universe with thousands of players and millions of NPCs" it's going to rain refunds like crazy.

It's going to be critical for CIG to put out the MVP prior to the admission that the MMO component is impossible. If that means "serialized variable uh... 6.7 will save everything!" for the next three years, it's gonna happen. There is no way in hell cig is going to admit MMO failure before they launch the MVP to seal away exodus refunders for feeling betrayed and lied to.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

What is it with Mods claiming they are in Mensa, first Franco then Derek? Sheesh

Septic Tank Gulag
Jun 19, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

The Titanic posted:

it's 5 years worth of people buying ships under the belief they would be in a twitch gameplay session of Eve Online with thousands of other players. Once they lose the "you are in a living universe with thousands of players and millions of NPCs" it's going to rain refunds like crazy.
This is the heart of the issue right here. I'm a couple of discord servers with some people who still believe in the project, and whenever they talk about the game, they're always describing "the vision" of the PU and never what's actually been shown. The vast chasm between the two is never, ever discussed and if I try to bring it up I'm shot down for being negative.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Dementropy posted:

If they went back into their archives, they would find that video he did from his Tesla. Maybe one of these days that archive will actually be utilized for its purported use.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

ComfyPants posted:

If they went back into their archives, they would find that video he did from his Tesla. Maybe one of these days that archive will actually be utilized for its purported use.

doubtful, those retards can't even be bothered to look back a week ago in their own """"archive"" when asked for relevant information let alone 6 months

Septic Tank Gulag
Jun 19, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
As the atmosphere sours, some will retreat to defensible "green zones" behind fences/barriers with armed checkpoints leading in to them. These zones will be large and clustered around key buildings like a large metropolitan hospital or research institute. The benefit of the hospital is that it provides accommodation and treated air handling to the bedside for the residents. It also has the ability to provide In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) services with carefully stored gametes (genetic diversity).

This is not a self contained biodome/biosphere concept. It's an extensive area of several city blocks that interact with the environment and concentrate what is needed from the atmosphere and scrub the interior air to keep it breathable.

As the surrounding population is excluded and carefully selected "survivor colonists" are brought into the "green zone" the need for electricity in suburbia will drop off due to the thinning of the herd through asphyxiation. This will result in a reconfiguration of the grid to direct the (now) surplus electricity from wind/solar/hydro/geo into the "green zone".

The "survivor colonists" (breeding stock) and support staff of military/agrarian/admin will be supplied with treated air through fully atmospherically controlled, hermetically sealed buildings. Foragers and outside technicians will be able to breathe through the use of portable systems such as back carry tanks or portable atmospheric gas concentrators.

The new Population Control Measures come into play:

*Each couple gets one normally conceived child and one IVF (sperm bank) child (insemination or embryo);
    *Once you've had the IVF child you go into the lottery for only one more natural child or opt for IVF;
    *Inadvertent deaths of a male spouse mean you get an extra child by their sperm insemination if it is recoverable otherwise another IVF child voucher;
    *Inadvertent death of a female spouse mean you get an extra voucher (natural or IVF) for you and your next partner;
    *Rights to a child voucher are non-transferable so if you don't conceive naturally or artificially within two years the default vouchers get added to the birthright lottery that everyone is eligible to enter.
    *Female same sex couples can mix and match between them;
    *Male same sex couples can bestow their child voucher on a surrogate where the surrogate has no parental rights;
    *Population shortfalls result in additional vouchers being added to the birthright lotteries;
    *Restrictions on abortion would be more strict if the fetus is female rather than male to encourage a population skew towards females.
    *With plenty of power now available the inside of multi story buildings will be repurposed as extensive "grow houses" (minimal atmospheric treatment) and livestock housing (enhanced atmosphere).

Existing water flows from reservoirs will gradually be replaced by well understood and time tested water gathering from green roofs and water treatment of effluent will be fed through the "grow houses" and livestock.

Everything expected to be needed for the next 1,000 years will be gleaned from the city/suburbs/countryside and stored in nearby "green zone" warehousing (no atmospheric treatment).

With directed research and animal breeding efforts we could develop "dumb animals" that could survive (hopefully thrive) in an atmosphere that we wouldn't find comfortable. These sheep/goats/cattle/horses/llamas/whatever are what I refer to as "biological accumulators".

This is a Permaculture concept where you use these animals to do the hard work of accumulating the energy from the sun (grass) in the form of protein and fat (with other nutrients thrown in) and these are periodically brought into the "green zone" during the muster.

Demolition of (by then vacated) housing near the green zone into open pasture could allow large areas of grazing. This could begin with simply fencing off a suburb and allowing access to front/back yards by removing a few fences. Over time a demolition crew would work on repurposing the "pasture suburbs" into a mix of grass and nut/oil trees (further biological accumulators).

For these sorts of thought experiments I look to the layout of my own city in Adelaide, South Australia. We have wide parklands around the city centre where all the administrative infrastructure of the state is based. These could become the initial pastures and if cleared of key trees/vegetation would provide clear defensive lines of fire.

This area includes the city council and state parliament as well as the Governor of the state. There are lots of accommodation areas both general residential and hotels as well as convention centre and several hospitals. Central Markets, Police headquarters, State Library, Art Gallery, many, many universities and lots of research facilities. Military administration is adjacent to the parklands. Basically all the infrastructure you might need for quite a large society that has undergone significant contraction.

You can see a map of sorts on the city council website here ==> http://www.adelaideparklands.com.au/explore-map/

Obviously borders of various areas would likely follow pre-existing streets and precincts. There is even the likely possibility (in the context of this scenario) of pockets of "green zone" in different parts of the Adelaide Plains with transport links being preserved between them. As an example we have recently electrified most of our trains and the train terminus (used intentionally for the Walking Dead reference) is in the City of Adelaide proper right in the "green zone". There is going to be a rail extension to our major Southern Area hospital with major north/south arterial road developments along South Road. Also electric tram lines from the "green zone" to the beach area of Glenelg which can be used as a beach port because of the jetty.

My expectation (again in the context of this scenario) is that there would be a staged withdrawal into the defensible area of the city and then consolidation of ecosystem services in the "green zone". After the general contraction of the population in the wider Adelaide Plains and a period of stability and reconfiguration of infrastructure electric/water/medical/food/logistics/etc there would be a staged expansion to incorporate useful surrounding features of the landscape and facilities such as developing satellite "green zones" as dormitory suburbs and service facilities like ports and other hospitals.

In this collapse scenario people outside the "green zone" become cheap/disposable; much cheaper than equipment. And they self organise. You just have to keep them alive at a subsistence level and they'll work for basic ecosystems services (food/air) just to keep alive. The foragers I envisage may not even have to be that smart so the forays out in the "red zone" could be entirely without atmospheric assistance.

Septic Tank Gulag fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 19, 2017

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

xiansi posted:

Clearly you understand game development.

Check out this whiny diatribe full of excuses about how animation actually 'works' made by a bunch of lazy amateurs who understand neither fidelity or motion capture:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1535515364/pathologic/posts/1912213

Can't believe I was dumb enough to back this.

(I am so glad I backed this, it looks incredible - check out dancing madness lady!)

"So this is what we did. We cheated by first creating the honest-to-god animations of turning 60°, 120°, and 180° left and right—due to the angles chosen, we only needed 6 unique animations. Then the game engine does the rest."

Oh, that is great. Didn't think of that.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Septic Tank Gulag posted:

As the atmosphere sours, some will retreat to defensible "green zones" behind fences/barriers with armed checkpoints leading in to them. These zones will be large and clustered around key buildings like a large metropolitan hospital or research institute. The benefit of the hospital is that it provides accommodation and treated air handling to the bedside for the residents. It also has the ability to provide In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) services with carefully stored gametes (genetic diversity).

This is not a self contained biodome/biosphere concept. It's an extensive area of several city blocks that interact with the environment and concentrate what is needed from the atmosphere and scrub the interior air to keep it breathable.

As the surrounding population is excluded and carefully selected "survivor colonists" are brought into the "green zone" the need for electricity in suburbia will drop off due to the thinning of the herd through asphyxiation. This will result in a reconfiguration of the grid to direct the (now) surplus electricity from wind/solar/hydro/geo into the "green zone".

The "survivor colonists" (breeding stock) and support staff of military/agrarian/admin will be supplied with treated air through fully atmospherically controlled, hermetically sealed buildings. Foragers and outside technicians will be able to breathe through the use of portable systems such as back carry tanks or portable atmospheric gas concentrators.

The new Population Control Measures come into play:

*Each couple gets one normally conceived child and one IVF (sperm bank) child (insemination or embryo);
    *Once you've had the IVF child you go into the lottery for only one more natural child or opt for IVF;
    *Inadvertent deaths of a male spouse mean you get an extra child by their sperm insemination if it is recoverable otherwise another IVF child voucher;
    *Inadvertent death of a female spouse mean you get an extra voucher (natural or IVF) for you and your next partner;
    *Rights to a child voucher are non-transferable so if you don't conceive naturally or artificially within two years the default vouchers get added to the birthright lottery that everyone is eligible to enter.
    *Female same sex couples can mix and match between them;
    *Male same sex couples can bestow their child voucher on a surrogate where the surrogate has no parental rights;
    *Population shortfalls result in additional vouchers being added to the birthright lotteries;
    *Restrictions on abortion would be more strict if the fetus is female rather than male to encourage a population skew towards females.
    *With plenty of power now available the inside of multi story buildings will be repurposed as extensive "grow houses" (minimal atmospheric treatment) and livestock housing (enhanced atmosphere).

Existing water flows from reservoirs will gradually be replaced by well understood and time tested water gathering from green roofs and water treatment of effluent will be fed through the "grow houses" and livestock.

Everything expected to be needed for the next 1,000 years will be gleaned from the city/suburbs/countryside and stored in nearby "green zone" warehousing (no atmospheric treatment).

With directed research and animal breeding efforts we could develop "dumb animals" that could survive (hopefully thrive) in an atmosphere that we wouldn't find comfortable. These sheep/goats/cattle/horses/llamas/whatever are what I refer to as "biological accumulators".

This is a Permaculture concept where you use these animals to do the hard work of accumulating the energy from the sun (grass) in the form of protein and fat (with other nutrients thrown in) and these are periodically brought into the "green zone" during the muster.

Demolition of (by then vacated) housing near the green zone into open pasture could allow large areas of grazing. This could begin with simply fencing off a suburb and allowing access to front/back yards by removing a few fences. Over time a demolition crew would work on repurposing the "pasture suburbs" into a mix of grass and nut/oil trees (further biological accumulators).

For these sorts of thought experiments I look to the layout of my own city in Adelaide, South Australia. We have wide parklands around the city centre where all the administrative infrastructure of the state is based. These could become the initial pastures and if cleared of key trees/vegetation would provide clear defensive lines of fire.

This area includes the city council and state parliament as well as the Governor of the state. There are lots of accommodation areas both general residential and hotels as well as convention centre and several hospitals. Central Markets, Police headquarters, State Library, Art Gallery, many, many universities and lots of research facilities. Military administration is adjacent to the parklands. Basically all the infrastructure you might need for quite a large society that has undergone significant contraction.

You can see a map of sorts on the city council website here ==> http://www.adelaideparklands.com.au/explore-map/

Obviously borders of various areas would likely follow pre-existing streets and precincts. There is even the likely possibility (in the context of this scenario) of pockets of "green zone" in different parts of the Adelaide Plains with transport links being preserved between them. As an example we have recently electrified most of our trains and the train terminus (used intentionally for the Walking Dead reference) is in the City of Adelaide proper right in the "green zone". There is going to be a rail extension to our major Southern Area hospital with major north/south arterial road developments along South Road. Also electric tram lines from the "green zone" to the beach area of Glenelg which can be used as a beach port because of the jetty.

My expectation (again in the context of this scenario) is that there would be a staged withdrawal into the defensible area of the city and then consolidation of ecosystem services in the "green zone". After the general contraction of the population in the wider Adelaide Plains and a period of stability and reconfiguration of infrastructure electric/water/medical/food/logistics/etc there would be a staged expansion to incorporate useful surrounding features of the landscape and facilities such as developing satellite "green zones" as dormitory suburbs and service facilities like ports and other hospitals.

In this collapse scenario people outside the "green zone" become cheap/disposable; much cheaper than equipment. And they self organise. You just have to keep them alive at a subsistence level and they'll work for basic ecosystems services (food/air) just to keep alive. The foragers I envisage may not even have to be that smart so the forays out in the "red zone" could be entirely without atmospheric assistance.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Star Citizen is truly revolutionary and will save pc and linux gaming.
what are your feelings on this fellow citizen?

See you all in the 'verse o7