Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Makoto encouraging that guy to keep loving up his leg is really rustling my jimmies. What sense does it make to tear up your leg to tell someone else to fix theirs?

Because it raises his affection levels, duh! Kaz is a loving hard-headed moron who doesn't want none of yo pity. Besides, you kinda HAVE to game the system in P3 and P4 if you want 100% S-Links in a single playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Makoto encouraging that guy to keep loving up his leg is really rustling my jimmies. What sense does it make to tear up your leg to tell someone else to fix theirs?

Kaz is just another person that Makoto is an enabler for. Just like how he is for that guy who wants to be with his teacher.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Yeahhh... Bear in mind that they were just figuring out how to implement this social link thing, and while even at its earliest, roughest draft I like it more than I dislike it, there are still... very distinct problems with seeming natural. So yes, Kaz relationship is uncomfortable when approached correctly because it seems like we are encouraging a friend to destroy their leg in the name of points... fortunately, P4's social links are better on that score, and P5's better still; I seem to recall there are marked improvements in P3Portable that make things feel not quite so creepy.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, I mean Kenji is one of the biggest examples of 'oh hey maybe SLs shouldn't just be about enabling people'.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
listen sometimes if you don't want someone to do something stupid you gotta do it yourself to show them how stupid it is

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The lesson of Persona is that it is a bad idea to date your teacher unless you're the protagonist.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

There's a reason people joke about the P3 protag being a sociopath. Kazuki and Kenji are some of the worst instances of this, and there's at least one other that's equally awful if I'm remembering it right.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Mzbundifund posted:

The lesson of Persona is that it is a bad idea to date your teacher unless you're the protagonist.

Joker's already a criminal, might as well make his girlfriend one for dating him :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Haifisch posted:

There's a reason people joke about the P3 protag being a sociopath. Kazuki and Kenji are some of the worst instances of this, and there's at least one other that's equally awful if I'm remembering it right.
Yeah, I can think of at least one other, and it's probably the same one you're thinking of. Not all of the Social Links in P3 are Makoto encouraging people to self-destruct, though! There are some good ones, like Hierophant and a few we haven't seen yet!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Fairly close to the end of May already. We do need to finish Arqa in Tartarus soon though....

Want To Be Close (Reincarnation)
even if you dont like the regular version or are super sick of it by now, i still recommend at least checking this out

But we'll worry about that later, I'm sure. For now, we have a quick day. No pre-school chatter, no lessons, just a skip right to the end of the day. Not complaining at all.

Not very many obvious options to hang out with today, so I suppose Yuko sounds good to me.

Joy

Can you hang on a sec? I'll finish the story after I put my shoes on.

How childish...

> Yuko is standing by the shoe rack with a strange look on her face.

What's wrong?
Oh, it's nothing, really...

> It seems like something is bothering Yuko.

It's the same stupid prank again...

...Phew, they're safe.
It wouldn't be funny if I had gum all over my shoes.
Do you know who did it?
I have my suspicions, but I don't plan to confront her.

> Yuko seems disgusted.

I was pissed off at first, but then I just got used to it...

...But if I catch her in the act, I'll grab her and slap her.
...Hey! That was a joke, okay? Don't take it so seriously.
I'm not like that at all! Alright?

> You left school with Yuko.

Like I thought, brains are just as important as brawn...

No, we're not dating. He's just a friend from the team.

Black Socks: ...You don't have to hide it. I'm surprised you can get such a handsome guy. Maybe I should become a team manager too.

You've got the story all wrong, like usual.

White Socks: Maybe you should quit. You have to do so much running, after all...

So these two folks don't even have names but are meant to be generic High School Antagonists as far as Yuko cares. Stellar.

Black Socks: Oh, stop. Her boyfriend might hear you.

...If you wanna give it a try, I won't stop you, but I wouldn't bother if you're just looking for a boyfriend...
Because being a team manager isn't easy. You won't have time to be sticking gum on the shoe rack.

Of course not. It was just an example.
...What's wrong? Did I say something to offend you?

Black Socks: ...N-No.
White Socks: H-Hey... We should get going now...

> The two girls disappeared...

...Let's go sit down.

No worries.
...Thanks.

...Maybe I should tell you the whole story...
That girl with the black socks... She went to the same middle school as me.
Back then, there was this boy on the basketball team who asked me out, and we started dating.
But, he was seeing her at the same time!

She blamed me because I was the manager of the basketball team. Does that make any sense at all?
That gum on my shelf... It was probably her. She still holds a grudge.
Girls can be so unforgiving sometimes...

Are you mad?
I'm honored.
Um... How can you say that with a straight face? And how many other girls have you used that line on?

When it comes to relationships, you should never play with a woman's emotions.
Trust me, I've been there before.
...You know, if people see us sitting together like this, they may think we really ARE dating...

> Yuko seems embarrassed.

> Your relationship is stronger now!

By the way... That guy I was going out with... I broke up with him a long time ago!
...You probably figured that out already, huh?

Well, obviously. Not sure I necessarily care though; it's not like it's my business.

S-See ya later.

> Yuko ran away.

> ...You decided to go back to the dorm.

Iwatodai Dorm

Not everyday that Ikutsuki's here, so we'll definitely remember to talk to him at least!

It is quite difficult to find someone who has the potential.
Would you feel more assured if you had more team members?
I'm okay with who we have.
But, if any of you become ill, the strength of the team will drastically decrease.
Depending on so few members puts us in a very precarious position.

But, its skills don't really change that much...
Is that why my grades are so low...?

Haha... I was just joking...
*sigh* Now I'm depressed...

Status lowering skills are very useful.
Power isn't the only thing that wins battles...
Heh... I can't believe my Persona is actually teaching me something.

Though the weather is colder this year, many tourists are still enjoying the early island summer.

Yukari and Mitsuru just repeat stuff from before, so there's no point in worrying about that. Disappointing, really.

We should be getting fairly close to maxing Courage now. Should.

Academics keeps proving itself to be a lot further off Rank 3 than I expected. It's... not really a bad thing, honestly.

Want To Be Close (Reincarnation) / Time

About what?
About Fuuka Yamagishi, of course. I haven't given up hope that she'll join our team.
Dude, her face looks so familiar.
She does look kinda weak, but it only makes me wanna protect her, ya know?

N-No... I can't say that I do.

Oh dear... after spending all that time in the Nurse's Office already I am worried about where this is going.

In this class, I'll ease all your worries. It's psychotherapy through magic!
All right, everyone, be very, very quiet. No talking... Silence!
Were you surprised to hear me bring up magic?

Not as much as you would think.

It's a recent proposal, so it's not well known yet...

Study hard, and I can beat your weak minds into shape! Eeeheehee...
Now then! Let's get on with our first lecture, on the basics of magic.
Who can use magic, and who cannot? That'll be our starting point.

Well, even Junpei can but he's not very good at it...

Some of you might think that magic lets you do absolutely anything...
Pulling pranks on people, hurting your enemies...

It's true of both eastern and western sorcery...
Those with wicked hearts will either be powerless, or be driven to ruin.
There's one more thing that can't be forgotten When learning magic.
That is... a "master."
You should aspire to become as good as your predecessors, especially if you're studying difficult magic.

When you begin your training, you'll have to live in two worlds at once: the real world, and the dark realm.
If you can't distinguish between the two. you're headed for certain disaster.
That's why the presence of a master is of the utmost importance!
With that in mind, I'll move on to meditation, a standard practice in magical training.
I've got some handouts for you...

If you're interested in the subject, try meditating before going to bed.
Slowly recall the events of the day... It's like traveling back through time.
If you can do that flawlessly, you may just make a good magician. Eeeheehee...
That's all for today!

This feels like it was earned for the exact opposite reason to usual. Goddamn it, Edogawa.

Oh well, let's see what we can accomplish today shall we?

Um, the other day, when you, um, asked me out...
I-I've been thinking...
Um, if it's okay with you, would you, um, like to...
Let's walk home together.
O-O-O-Okay!
Um, then, I'll go get ready...

Joy

I mean, um, I'm glad you're willing to... b-but...
Just relax...
*sigh* Y-Yeah... I-I'm not very good at talking t-to boys...
There are a lot of guys in Student Council, so I-I should work on that...
...Oh! School is almost out. Let's go.

...Oh! I-I'm sorry! I was just thinking about... what to say...
I was trying to come up with a topic you might be interested in, Makoto-san...
...but I couldn't think of anything...
This is... Iwatodai Dorm. right? You live here, Makoto-san?

You should have told me!
S-Sorry!
I knew we were going the wrong direction. but... I-I couldn't bring myself to say anything...
Th-Thank you very very much for... um, making time for me, Makoto-san.

> Chihiro seems to appreciate your company.

The Power of the Heart

> A mysterious voice rings in your head...

Joy

And with that, she immediately runs away. Must not be many trains left at this point... even though we were able to get one at midnight...

Iwatodai Dorm

The number of victims seems to be on the rise again... Apparently, the decline was only temporary.
Huh? Does that mean that no matter how many Shadows we defeat, more will just keep coming?
If that's the case, then what's the point of fighting...?

Our efforts have prevented the crisis from escalating.
I guess you're right. ...Ya know, it's kinda creepy when you think about it...
If we couldn't use our Personas, then the whole city would be crawling with zombies...

I don't know the details, but it's causing some sort of unforeseen error.
If you have time to examine it, I'd appreciate it.

This is effectively just a(n optional) reminder that there's a thing to check out there. There's nothing new added at the moment, don't worry.

Junpei and Akihiko are hanging out on the second floor for a bit of a change.

Of course. Why would you ask such an obvious question?
Well, y'know... I was just thinking it might be nice to get some kind of thank you...
From the ladies, at least...

Junpei... Junpei, please. Focus man. This is a bit more important.

I know that makes things harder.
But, if we don't fight, then more people will become victims of the Shadows, like The Lost.
We ARE making a difference, though. We're making the city more peaceful.

According to his doctors, he was a victim of Apathy Syndrome.

Well, at least it was nice while it lasted...

With how quick Courage ranks up anyway, it should hit max before the next full moon. Should. I'd be more surprised if it doesn't.

Academics is just gonna keep on being a bit of a slog to get anywhere, I see.

...Especially with stuff like this sabotaging tomorrow's gain. At least we get an extra Courage point now.

Studying having a chance to self-sabotage like this is really weird but until we max Courage I am going to remain okay with it.

Gossiping: What, like bullying him? Poor kid... What's his name?
Listening: I don't know... All I heard is that it's really a problem. I thought our school was peaceful, too, but I guess it's not so much.

> The first bell has rung.

oh god why are you back

Mr. Ekoda left work early today, so today's lecture will be a little different. He looked fine, but he claimed he didn't feel well...
Make sure you know what you're eating, everyone, before you take a bite.
Last time, I related some basic magical knowledge...
Today, I'll add to that with a discussion of meditation. But first, let's review the ways that magicians meditate.
To heighten your creative impulse, the source of all magical power...
Carefully observe a real-world object and recreate it in your head to the last detail.
That's the Western style, but I'd also like to talk about the Eastern style of meditation.
Modern magicians adapted Eastern meditation for their own original style.

Those are the basics of Eastern meditation.
You don't need much to meditate. All that's required is a quiet environment and some time.
It doesn't take long, but you should allot at least 15 minutes for it.
Now for the practicalities... First, your posture. Choose a position you're comfortable in.

You can also meditate while sitting on a chair. Any position will work, as long as you're relaxed.
Once you can breathe comfortably, cover or close your eyes and relax.
Now that you've prepared yourself physically, let's focus on your mind and soul. Imagine a symbol... Perhaps a large tree, or the moon.
If you wish, it could even be the god of your own faith.
However, do not empty your mind.

...So what have owe learned? To practice meditation is to imagine some sort of symbol.

The imagined symbol is there for other reasons besides helping the meditation go smoothly, however.
It can be very dangerous to plumb the depths of your consciousness...
By keeping a clear symbol in mind, you can avoid plunging over the edge.
Go ahead and try meditating if you'd like. That's all for today.

This really feels dirty and wrong. This so shouldn't give Academics but it does.

...And now for something different.

And?
She freaked out and started crying.
...Like it was the end of the world. You should've seen the look on her face... It was priceless.
Oh my gawd!
I've never laughed so hard in all my life!

Gossiping Girls: Hahahahaha!

Don't they have anything better to do?
Huh...?

What voice? I don't hear anything.
What's wrong, Maki? Maki!

Are you okay!?
Sorry... What were we talking about?
I can't stand girls like that...

Well, that sure was... something I guess.

Now, what are we gonna do today? We have a lot of options...

She must have some kind of iron will to follow me around this much.
She'll probably be a detective or something when she grows up.

He just threw a rock at a bird resting on that branch!
That's so cruel...

Anyway, uh, we're close to the gym but we're also close-by to something else...

We haven't been in here yet. There's other rooms along this corridor too but we can't get into any of them...

> There's a note on the door.

We need Academics rank 2 or higher to read this note. If we can't do that, then we can't enter the room. Yeaaaaah this one's pretty arbitrary. Oh and we also need our Hierophant S.Link to be at rank 3 or higher just for good measure.

Joy

> The foreign exchange student you met at the bookstore is busy sewing.

It's been a while, I forget; did we give him our name? I don't think we did...

I 'aven't seen you since ze bookstore!

I am very 'appy!
You know my name?
Yes, I asked ze teacher, my sensei. We are in ze same grade!

Sure, okay. Whatever you say, Andre.

Zis eez tanoshii, very fun! Would you like to try?

> It seems Bebe wants you to join.

Sure.
Honto!? Really!? Arigatou, thank you!

But, now I am 'appy!

> You have joined Fashion Club.

> You now understand Bebe a little better.

The Power of the Heart

Joy

Well zen, Makoto-sama, goodbye! ...Oh, by ze way...
I was wondering 'ow you bid farewell in Nihongo--Japanese...

...Let's be honest, they pretend like there's four options but there isn't. There's only one.

Hasta la vista.

> You decide to go back to the dorm.

Iwatodai Dorm

...Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD, Akihiko!

I don't suffer much damage from electricity. But, ice is a different story...

If my Persona is another side of me... and ice is my weakness...
Is it just me or does there seem to be a connection there?

I don't really care.
Be careful...
Not caring is a form of bullying.

Not really sure I agree but sure, okay, whatever.

The water was tested and found to be radioactive, but fortunately, it did not leave the plant.

This sure seems important but, uh, since it's an aside on the telly it's not really that big a deal. Weird.

...Bah, I guess my math was a little bit off. Alright, fine. Guess we're not gonna get max Courage before June but that's not really a big deal.

Speaking of June, we're really unnervingly close now to that 6/6 deadline for Liz's one request that still has it. And it is the one for getting to document at the top of Arqa... guess I know what we're doing next.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 27, 2018

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, I can think of at least one other, and it's probably the same one you're thinking of. Not all of the Social Links in P3 are Makoto encouraging people to self-destruct, though! There are some good ones, like Hierophant and a few we haven't seen yet!

Yeah, and the ones where you do the opposite are probably my favourites of the bunch. If I'm remembering correctly they're also the ones that most seem like you'd be enabling their self-destruction, too.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Why would you use socks to differentiate between two people? Couldn't Yuko just have used the different skirt lengths or just said 'that girl to your right' or something? Who even looks at socks when you first meet a person?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Clearly she read the game script.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
wtf @ those girls not noticin yukari!!!

wtf is goin on!!! spooky!!!

also lmao "I don't really care." lil sociopath!

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I don't know what is it about this game I've already experienced or about this LP that makes me feel excited about making friends with more quirky students

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Sai-kun posted:

Are...are you channeling the Hermit Social Link or something?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Sai-kun posted:

M. Night Shyamalan plot twist: Yukari was dead all along!

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?

vdate posted:

Are...are you channeling the Hermit Social Link or something?

i'm easily spooked okay

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I was really expecting this to be either still Tired or, more likely, to get Sick. Well, there goes that free Courage...

Listening: Oh, yeah! The one who was lying on the ground this morning, right? I hope she just ran away from home... But I feel like this is the start of something big.
Gossiping: Yeah... There might be reporters and camera crews and stuff. *sigh* I don't want to deal with it.

> The first bell has rung.

The Rumor Mill

Classmate: Yeah, they haven't got a clue...
Student: Isn't that bizarre!?

> Everyone is talking about a rumor.

So, did you hear the details?
I'm not interested.
Stop acting like you don't care.
You really should hear this...

Nobody knows what happened, and supposedly, she's still unconscious.

This is a tough case, even for Junpei Iori, Ace Detective.
Ace Detective?
...Are you stupid or something?

Hey! I resent that.
Anyway, where've you been?
I was talking to the teacher.

She seemed okay then...
Whoa... Now, that's really strange.

End

So that random scene from before was relevant to... this, huh? I guess we'll end up finding out more about this sooner or later...

For now, we've got very valuable information to learn from Yuko.

I heard there's a monk who goes there. He even drinks and picks fights!
I can't believe a monk would do something like that...
That's what I heard, at least.

I suppose this can go on the pile of things to look into later, along with the Gourmet King and I think that's it for outstanding intel right now.

So it can help begin to rebuild the pile.

Anyway, we're here and we have Valkyrie still so let's put her to use.

Joy

I'm not as tall as you, so I can't walk as fast...

...I was just joking; I don't mind. Do you think I'm acting weird?

Well if I didn't before, then I sure do now.

I'm used to dealing with big dumb jocks from working on the team. *giggle*

Heeey!
Do you know him?
Yup. He lives across the street from me.

...After the last scene with Yuko, this is seeming like a big ol' random non-sequiter, huh? Don't worry, it totally definitely isn't. Honest!

Yellow Shirt: Ms. Nishiwaki!

(some things can absolutely be translated better. this is one of them.)

...This is no place to be playing tag.
It was okay this time, since it was me... but what if you had bumped into a stranger?
Go play at the playground.

Yellow Shirt: They said they'll move if we beat them in a race, but we're only fourth graders! We can't win... So, we had to play tag here instead, Ms. Nishiwaki.
I'll let the "Ms." slide this time, but only because I feel sorry for you...
...Alright. come with me.

Blue Skirt: This field is soooo big!
If you see any strangers, run away. And boys, make sure you protect the girls. Promise?
Blue Shirt: We promise!
Practice until the big hand is on the 12, and don't touch anything around here.
I'm gonna have a look around...
Yellow Shirt: Let's run!

Wait, come here for a second...

and don't lift your legs so high, or you might pull a muscle.

> Yuko is teaching the kids how to run faster...

Give it a try! Believe in yourself!

Yellow Shirt: Wooohoo! Check this out!
Blue Skirt: ...Me too! Me too! Come help ME, Coach!
Blue Shirt: I'm gonna win for sure!

Uhhh.... not quite so sure you should be looking so down as you say that.

But... I've never been a coach before...
...Am I doing the right thing, Makoto-kun?
It's up to you.
What am I waiting for...?

I'll do it! I'll be your coach!
But, I'm not gonna go easy on you guys! And no one's allowed to quit, either! Got it?
Kids: Got it, Coach!
Checkered Skirt: Is that your boyfriend, Coach? Is he gonna teach us too?
What? Uhh... Don't worry about that.
Think positive! If you think you're gonna lose. you will!
Don't be afraid of them just because they're sixth graders!
Kids: Whatever you say!

> You watched Yuko as she coached the kids.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to keep you so long...
...But, is there any chance you'd be willing to help me train them?
I only know a little bit about racing... and besides, you're pretty athletic...
I'd be really grateful.
Well? Will you help me? Pleeease! I'll be lonely coaching them all by myself...

> You sense that Yuko really trusts you.

But, I'll make up for it one of these days.

> You left school with Yuko.

Oh, I guess this did have absolutely nothing at all to do with the previous scene. Kind of a weird progression here.

Iwatodai Dorm

People can be so immature, sometimes. I mean, it's just a ghost story.

...dammit yukari no this is not the time

I'll prolly just watch a little TV and then go to bed early.

Yeah, you don't say.

Mitsuru is training and Yukari has a "weird" feeling...
Tch, I wonder what that means...

Actually, that's quite common.
Dealing with Shadows has a tendency to enhance other... senses.

Junpei's up on the second floor again, along with... Yukari?

All I said to her was that someone might be in her room... or under her bed... or in her closet.
I mean, come on, that's nothing to get all worked up about, right?
What? You scared her!
Yeah, I guess you're right.
All she'll probably see is one of those big-rear end cockroaches. ...Well, I guess that would be pretty scary too.

I'd be happy to sleep with you, if it helps...
*sigh* Maybe I should call the police, or better yet, Mitsuru-senpai...
Please... Anything but that!

Mitsuru, of course, is back up on the fourth floor again.

The others appear to be busy as well, so let's postpone going to Tartarus tonight.

For extra luck, try sticking your thumbs up all day long!

Well, this fits no one we know this time. It's not even close to being relevant to this point in time either.

Well, there's no Tartarus so we might as well see if we can find this monk I guess.

Adventured act

Bartender: ...Well, I guess you can stay. Just don't cause any trouble, alright?

How generous. Well, let's see... there's no monk near here at all. Hrm...

But there's a bit of an upstairs area where we can find this guy hanging out all on his on. He sure looks like a monk with a cigar at least.

> The lazy-eyed monk is drinking.

This had to be rank 2 before we could do this. It makes more sense than the requirement for Andre before at least.

...Booze! Where's my booze?
I don't got nothin' to say to anyone who doesn't have any booze.

Sure, why not. Let's do this!

Bartender: ...Oh, it's for the monk upstairs, huh? I see. In that case, how 'bout you do me a favor first... Can you go around and take everyone's order? If you do that, I'll bring a drink upstairs for him.

A couple folks in Escapade are switched around for this.

It's also not really all that complicated. Four folks around the bar have orders now.

Just gotta remember that, and it's always the same so it's really quite simple.

There's a bit of obfuscation from some of them changing their mind once (or twice) but it's easier than an actual dedicated minigame could be.

That's all of 'em so we'll head on back to the bar and tell the bartender.

Bartender: ...So, what was it you wanted? Oh yeah, a drink for that monk upstairs. I bet he wants brandy again. Okay, I'll take it to him.

This Mysterious Feeling

> That must have impressed him, because he started talking with you...

What're the employees here thinkin', lettin' you in...?

...Well? C'mon, kid, sit down. Havin' to look up at ya is strainin' my neck.
So, you wanted to see where adults spend their time, eh?

Just take it easy, kid. You'll be legal before ya know it. No need to rush.
Actin' like an adult only makes ya look more like a kid.

What's a cigar taste like?
...Like leaves. It may sound funny, but I can't describe it any other way. I just smoke cuz it clears my head.
You seem to be optimistic about the future...
Well, don't get your hopes up too high, kid. That way you won't be disappointed when things don't work out.
Cuz then you'll hafta smoke and drink just to get through the day...

...Always bein' taken in by the police for questioning...
...I'm gonna remember your face, kid. And next time you come in here, I'm gonna have you thrown out. Got it?

> You became acquainted with the monk.

The Power of the Heart

And we don't even know the guy's name yet or anything. Honestly makes this somehow even more impressive than Maya...

This Mysterious Feeling

Well, when you've had your fill, go home... and don't come back.

> You decided to go back to the dorm.

Man, we're not even going to get a Tower persona until we're over level 30. Probably won't be seeing this guy too often until then...

Although, hanging out with a drunk monk would give us a good power boost by then... hmm..

Worry about that one later, I guess!

Current Net Price Tanaka

Just the one set of shoes here, but it also comes with 1 Diet Food for good measure. Nice and cheap (less than 4k!) so definitely gonna get me them pills... er shoes, and their Evasion bonus. Yeah, that's it.

Iwatodai Dorm

The school makes us send them updates on how things are going here at the dorm.
See, that's what Mitsuru's doing right now.

It may just be a coincidence, but something doesn't seem right about it.
What do you think, Makoto-kun?
It's just a coincidence.
Yeah, that's what I thought.

It just isn't normal, but I have no idea what's going on...

Hmm, yes. I see that Mitsuru's update writing is going very well indeed. Seems to be doing as good as I do on an average day.

I'm still holding out hope that we'll finally get to see at least a part of an episode sometime. We've had two months of failures, but who knows...

Some people got hurt, so you know word is gonna get out all over town about this one.

So, today is Sunday. As a result of that, we won't get to Tartarus today or do anything at night because, well...

Joy

the weathers nice today huh? let's go outside! (> ' ')> ingame, duh
Traesto! &=( ^o^)/

> A gray-colored sky stretches as far as the eye can see.

> A barren wasteland lies before Tatsuya and Maya.

> Maya is stretching.

The air is nice, even tho the world has ended ;P
pshyeah right... it's just a game... we should go lvl or sumthing
i'm so lazy irl tatsu... i havnt even gotten dressed or put on makeup T_T

> Maya stands at attention!

Mr. E is such a stupid eh so bee!! t(-__-t)
Don't you mean S.O.B.?
see!? u understand!! wooooo! tatsuya and maya ftw! xD

> Maya seems happy.

> Maya is looking around.

there were alot of dupers an goldfarmers, but still... =/
its good tho cuz it lets us talk about personal things rite? >=p
...maya IS a shy girl, u know... ::blush:: lol

...oh noes! u can't figure out what my job is can u? O_o
A drunken master?
well being drunk does make me stronger =P
...i wish.

> Maya is enjoying herself.

hey! i just figured sumthing out o_O
when i complain to u, i feel better afterwards! xD
from now on we HAVE to group together promise, k? >=|

> Maya feels comfortable telling you about her real life.

it's been 2 months o_O

...That is insanely gross!

> Maya's player signed off.

don't mention that "SOB" stuff, k? its our little secret! >_>

> Maya's player signed off.

> You decided to log off as well.

...There seems to be a sense of restlessness in the air.
Really? I didn't notice.
You don't feel it...? Well, I just hope it doesn't have anything to do with Shadows.
Akihiko said we may be receiving a new member, but we don't know when we'll be attacked...
So remain alert at all times.

So, we've been dragging our feet with the Student Council a bit. Should probably do something about that, since we did kind of get shanghai'd into this anyway.

Joy

> You help out on various Student Council projects.

> The hours fly by as you work on the tasks.

Some students feel the school uniform should be abolished, and they're recruiting supporters...
It's a waste of time.
You're right about that.

They think life without rules is freedom. It's ridiculous, plain and simple.
Without rules, the whole system will collapse. They're mistaking selfishness for freedom.

Hello Hidetoshi, welcome to SMT. We generally call that the Chaos route, though that probably doesn't quite exist in the same way here.

...Sorry, I may have overreacted.
I hate people with no common sense. Sometimes, I can't believe the things that come out of their mouths.
I don't mean you of course. I just want you to understand where I'm coming from.

> It seems you've gained Hidetoshi's trust.

> You decided to go home.

Story Time
gonna recommend watching this one

This Mysterious Feeling

You know how last week, that girl was found by the front gate?

H-Hey! C'mon... Nobody believes that stuff!? ...R-Right?
So, what is this ghost story about?
Wha--!?
It-It's probably made-up... so why bother!?
I'm interested. Go ahead and tell us.
Uh...

> Junpei leaned forward and spoke in a mysterious voice...

Fearful Experience

Oh my. This is going to be special!

...There are many strange things in this world...
According to one story...

The other day, this friend of mine--let's call him Shu...
He said to me, "Junpei, I saw something strange."
He sounded serious, so I asked him what he'd seen.
He said it was about the girl in 2-E...

I couldn't believe it.
She's not the kind of girl to be out at night...
But Shu was as white as a sheet. He insisted it was true...
Then, it hit me...

And that's why they found her lying on the ground by the gate!
I felt a chill run down my spine, and I broke into a cold sweat...
Yes, there are strange things in this world...

This Mysterious Feeling

I think it's worth investigating.
Wow, I didn't know you were afraid of ghosts, Yuka-tan. That's kinda funny.
Hey, watch it!

We'll each ask around for the rest of the week.
I'll prove to you that this ghost story is just an urban legend!

Then, I'll let you guys handle it.
Just make sure you sleep with one eye open...

End

Iwatodai Dorm

Goddammit Yukari! I just want to get this done and now we're pushing it really, really close to the deadline and it's almost entirely your fault!

However, there may be ghosts haunting the school...

Everyone at school knows about it... and soon everyone in town will too.

So many inquiries from parents and reporters alike...

Why? Well, just go check out what she's doing, and you'll know right away.

T... Turn the computer on first.

So I'm going to pass on Tartarus today.

For those who are fighting, the light has not yet broken through. That was our special report. Coming up next, the news.

We did it. We finally did it! Max Courage on the first day of June. That's a little slower than I would necessarily like but that's because of rescheduling earlier.

To try and get this up to Rank 3 in time for the midterms. Didn't work out as I'd have liked, but we're still ahead of the necessary curve for the time being so that's fine.

...This however is not. Normally I'd reset here just to not get this but getting thwarted from going to Tartarus for one last day due to terrible RNG is just pretty great really.

The Voice Someone Calls

It's you...
I'm glad you remembered me.

And the next ordeal will be upon you. So, be careful.
...I'll come again.

Great, so the next full moon is also an inevitable boss fight. Welp!

...So much for maybe having a chance to go to Tartarus today.

Ya know what...? From this day forward, I'm gonna do my best!
At?
Duh! The ghost story! Did you already forget what we talked about last night?
...You're hopeless.
You better find out as much as you can, too... Remember, you only have until Friday!
I'm counting on you, Makoto-kun.

I really wouldn't count on me for that, because ghosts don't exist.

Of the "Ugetsu Monogatari" stories, I'm particularly fond of the one about the ghostly wife.
Such an eerie, yet poignant story... Speaking of which, I know a good ghost story. Would you like to hear?

"There's a girl right behind you!"
Frightened, they ran back home. But he started to hear scratching noises each night...
And a faint voice, saying... "Let me in... Let me in..."
But as far as he knew, the room adjacent to his was vacant.
One night, he decided to knock on the wall where the sounds were emanating from.
Hmhmhm...
Right next to his ear, the voice came loud and clear... "I'm here!"

I'm just dreading the day he'll say he wants to marry some poor girl...
Oops, there's the bell. Okay, class, that's all for today...

...Okay, no, this one makes even less sense than the lessons on Magic and Meditation.

....well never mind then. Not gonna use that door anymore if Andre is just gonna stand there, staring at it. Waiting. That's kinda creepy!

we dont have a justice persona but is fine we dont need one yet and also i just want to get away from here now

Joy

> You browsed through the used book store with Chihiro.

Don't worry about it.
If you say so... But, um... thank you...

I was so busy searching through the books... I'm sorry if I ignored you, Makoto-san...
Um... I'm sorry I took so long...
This place has so many interesting books, I was having trouble deciding.
...Do you read much, Makoto-san?
I don't read very often.

This isn't Persona 4 or 5. Not only is there no mechanical benefit to reading stuff, there's nothing to read!

Yeah... With the internet, it's kind of a waste of money to buy books.

> Chihiro seems a little sad.

We may be disturbing other patrons.

Yeah, I hear sometimes this asocial, introverted blue haired guy wanders in here. And that's basically it.

Um... Makoto-san?
Is it boring to hang around with, um, a nerd like me?
Not really.
I-I'm glad to hear that. I've been worried about it for a while...

T-Today, I was able to, um, be myself with you, Makoto-san.
Th-That's a big step for me... Thank you.

> Chihiro seems grateful for your time together.

G-Goodbye...

> You decided to go back to the dorm.

Iwatodai Dorm

The Lost are everywhere, and it seems like it's only getting worse...
Plus, there's those freakin' rumors goin' around school...
We need to let off some steam.

I would 100% be down for that. Unfortunately, I am not in a condition in which it's realistically doable. I blame Yukari and that one weird kid.

However, there is still no explanation for it.
So I believe it's worth researching. Please let me know what you find out.

But, she seems to be doing research on them.
Is it the power of the Junpei Zone?
Huh!? What did you just say!?
Oh poo poo... I pissed her off...

Even if we don't learn anything from it, it still seems like fun research.
I'll be looking forward to the results.

Yeah, it's Junpei's fault...! Everything's his fault...!
The Junpei Zone!? Psh! You really are dumber than you look!

At the close of trading today, the price per share had gone as low as 4,242 yen.

Since we're not getting to go to Tartarus... again... and with max Courage we have to do something new.

When The Moon's Reaching Out Stars / Way of Life

This'll do. We've been to the cafe before, but never for its real purpose.

> ...You feel people looking at you.

> Is this an effect of the coffee...?

This is marginally cheaper than the Karaoke was but it's just as effective. 300 yen a day doesn't seem like much, but it'll add up over time.

We only have 4 days left to Tartarus now, so we really need to get a move on there. We're definitely going to get that done immediately now. I mean, it's not like Yukari's going to obstruct it for the rest of the week because that'd be stupid and bullshit.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 8, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Wasn't there a Shadow earlier on called Cowardly Maya or something? Maybe we've been playing an MMO with a Shadow this whole time. :ohdear:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Is there any reason you never try to hit the restrooms for the rare chance it'll improve your condition?

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

You know, now that it's been a long while since I last played P3, this lp made me realize Joy is a fuckin banger.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Blue Labrador posted:

You know, now that it's been a long while since I last played P3, this lp made me realize Joy is a fuckin banger.

They remixed it for Persona Q as well.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

Is there any reason you never try to hit the restrooms for the rare chance it'll improve your condition?

I have been. :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Dragonatrix posted:

I have been. :v:

Fair enough!

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
Not sure on spoiler tags regarding the other persona games, but on the safe side, spoilers for roughly a third of the way through both P4 and P5

Managed to catch this the other day, which tickled me seeing it in the last update:

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Junpei's Believe It Or Don't is a masterpiece of a scene, in part because Vic's voice acting was top notch for that scene.

But we have three new Social Links, so three new Arcanas to cover:

Justice Arcana

Justice is fairly obvious in what it represents: Justice, fairness, the search for truth (Insert Persona 4 joke of your choosing here) and the law. It can also represent objectivity, rationality and the ability to understand and accept the consequences of your own actions.

Makoto's Justice Social Link is represented by Chihiro Fushimi, the treasurer of the Student Council. She may not be a perfect representation of the ideals of Justice right now, we'll be seeing more sides to her as the link progresses. For Hamuko, we have yet to meet her Justice representative, so I've nothing to add here for now (I'm thinking of going back and adding stuff to the segments where I just say "We meet this character later" after we meet them for the sake of completion. Regardless, Chihiro is another character we can romance, and, again like Yuko, we'll cover romance when we get to it because... well what's the nicest way to call something a minefield? But Chihiro turned out unexpectedly popular, to the point where she made a cameo in Persona 4.

Personas of the Justice Arcana are also fairly straightforward in terms of what they are and their gameplay style- every Justice Persona, barring the one used by a party member later, is from an order of angels from Judeo-Christian lore. They're all about the Light spells too- if you want some Hama, grab a Justice Persona (Though be careful around Dark-using enemies since most Justice Personas have a weakness to Dark).

Temperance Arcana

Temperance represents harmony, prudence and balance- specifically, a balancing of opposites or a reconciliation between two extremes. It's one of the later Arcana in the deck, so it's more of an abstract concept rather than an actual ideal or characteristic of a personality.

Minako and Hamuko both share Andre Laurent Jean Geraux, or "Bebe" as their Temperance Social Link, a French exchange student who dabbles in being a bit of a Japanophile. That Bebe is French and is balancing both Japanese and French culture not only ties in to the core of Temperance, but also may be a reference to Paris Syndrome- a mental disorder where people have such a culture shock upon arriving in Paris that they require therapy. Bebe's Link is quite unique in that not only will your dialogue have impacts down the line, but the Link determines whether or not Bebe will appear in school events as the year progresses.

Temperance Personas are quite well balanced. They don't really have one specific pattern in terms of mythology or gameplay. They're generally well-rounded. The only connections are that they tend to be beasts rather than people, and that Temperance has the four symbols from Chinese mythology.

Tower Arcana

Portrayed as a tower stricken by lightning, from which two small figures fall down, the Tower Arcana wears its heart on its sleeve. It is a straight Tower of Babel allegory about pride preceding the fall. The Tower Arcana is commonly associated to overly arrogant, prejudiced and authoritarian organization, which walk to their own ironic demise. Furthermore, it is also more generically used as an omen of doom and disaster. It can be seen as the worst card of the deck, as it rarely has a positive meaning. Fittingly, Tarot Arcana characters in Persona tend to be arrogant, often finding themselves in an ironic hell of their own creation. Even reversed, Tower holds few positive connotations; namely, reversed Tower speaks of one delaying an inevitable downfall.

To date, Tower is one of the least represented Arcanas among playable Persona characters, with the only playable character who uses Tower as his Arcana being Baofu in Persona 2, and that was only because he was the one party member without a negative affinity to it.

Hamuko and Minako both meet the same person for the Tower Arcana- Mutatsu, a monk constantly visiting Club Escapade to drown his sorrows via alcohol. Tower is locked until you reach Strength Rank 4 with Yuko (Chariot Rank 3 for Hamuko), where she mentions rumors of a drunken monk at Escapade. Something I find interesting is that "Mutatsu" is a Buddhist given name which literally means "without achievement".

Tower Personas often reflect the negative nature of the Arcana by representing either mythological figures who were once well regarded but fell from grace, or simply deities tied with ruin and destruction. They're often heavily aligned around physical attacks. Tower Arcana Personas are usually mythological figures that were once heroic or well-loved, but have since fallen from grace. Alternatively, the Personas represent deities associated with destruction, righteousness or otherwise.

Oh, and this is the Arcana Mara comes from. You'll see why that's notable later.

GoneRampant fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 7, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Tower is an interesting Arcana in Persona in that it's such a negative card that usually it's difficult to spin something positive out of it. Persona usually deals with it by having characters that, while skilled, have their own insecurities which make things worse for themselves, but after seeing the harm caused by their actions on other people, express guilt and reform. I generally like what they do with the Arcana, even if none of the Social Links that they've done are hardly my favourite.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

No update yet, because I am a stupid jerkbutt :v:

No, but seriously, sorry about that. I've just had a spontaneously increased workload as of late that I prioritised over this for a while. That's not quite going to be as big an issue soon. Probably will have an update sooner rather than later, at least.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

May is done, so I think it's time for a quick jaunt through another timeline once again, don't you?

Since not every day will be unique to this reality, we'll just hit the highlights as per usual.

After School

Oh, guys can't really come to places like this with each other...

> Junpei seems a little embarrassed...

Where do guy friends go?
Uhh... Karaoke, Wild-duck Burger, the manga cafe...

Still, this is some drat good coffee.
You can tell that the guy who owns this place is really picky about the beans.
He probably roasts them all differently using special waters for each type...

Even before Persona 5 came into being, we had Coffee Trivia. Completely okay with that!

You know a lot about coffee.
Heheh... I just really like coffee. That's all.

Oh yeah, what did you order, Kotone?
Hot cocoa.
Oh, hot chocolate? That's a girly drink.

> The two of you chatted about different things for a while...

By the way, are there any guys you're interested in?

Well, that changed gears quickly!

If you want I'll totally help you out. It'd be fun being your Cupid.
Oh yeah, what about Akihiko-senpai? You know girls are crazy about him.
You'd better be careful that he doesn't play you!
Wait... Akihiko-san's not that type of guy, so you don't need to worry.

Actually, why don't you try and get him? Seriously?
A transfer student swoops in and steals the heart of the boy every girl wants...
Don't you think that would be totally cool?
Haha, it'd be something right out of a manga.
Maybe I should give it a try, then.
Ahaha! What do you mean by "then"!?
Well, if you're serious, feel free to talk to me about it.

> The two of you chatted about different things for a while...

> You feel like you understand Junpei a little better now...

Man, I really enjoy being around you, for some reason.
Well, let's head back.

> You and Junpei went back to the dorm together.

Joy

We have no choice over this one. Unlike before, this is a scene we get no matter what on the 8th of May.

You haven't joined any committees yet, have you?

Does student council not count...?

I know this is sudden, but there's some positions that just became vacant that I'd like you to take on.
I mean, students are obligated to join a school committee.
I'll let you choose which one you'd like to join.

Well, if I have to pick right now... uhhh...

Inside Kotone's Head Right Now posted:

That'll do.

Library committee.
All right, thank you. Well, go on over to the library after school today.

> ...You joined the library committee.

> You must go to the library after school is out today...

Freedom is illusion, and we are all shackled to fate.

Allow me to introduce Kotone Shiomi from class 2-F to you. She'll be joining the library committee.
If there's anything you don't understand... Oh, let's see... Hasegawa!

You're on duty today, right? Teach her how to get around here.
Well then, I'll leave the rest to you.
Understood.

Oh... I'm sorry, I didn't notice.
Please feel free to go home. I'll take care of the rest for today.
We're really sorry. See you later...

> The other members leave...

They're all just very busy...
Um... Let's see, where should I start explaining things to you...?
...Oh, I'm sorry. I haven't even introduced myself yet.

I'm very pleased to meet you.
Heh... There's no need to be so formal. I'm a junior, just like you.
You don't have to be so polite to me.
But that senior a moment ago...
Did you notice?

I'm the oldest student in the school right now.

Gee, I wonder what her problem that we'll have to talk through is going to be about...

...That's why the upperclassmen all speak politely to me.
I really wish they'd stop... but I've pretty much given up about it.
...Still, considering that we've just met, it'd be nice if you didn't feel you had to be like that around me.
...Could you just try?
Of course I can!

> You get a mature and quiet impression of Saori, probably because she's older than you.

The Power of the Heart

Whew boy, so, it's not a big surprise that there's more than two different S.Links this go around. The vast, vast majority of the changes are generally agreed to be for the better (don't really see any people clamouring for more Kenji, for example). Saori is the exception. Most people would think that she's worse than "Maya" for the Hermit and I... kinda agree, really. I know I'm normally contrary and snooty about SMT opinions but this time I am the mainstream. Sorry.

Joy

We meet on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but we do get a couple of days off before exams.
First, let's go over how to check books out. Each book has a barcode on the back cover, so...

> You were taught the skills you need in order to perform your duties as a member of the library committee.

> You spent time with Saori in the library until it was time to leave...

Time

Minor sidebar: since we have manual control, after beating up The High Priestess we don't get new AI commands. We still totally could but we don't. Instead, we get this extra bonus.

It's like an All-Out Attack but not. It focuses on one target that is not yet knocked down and, well, knocks that Shadow down. It's not very exciting but it comes up sometimes.

Also, the prices for the compendium here are identical to the prices in Hard in FES. Maniac isn't actually any more difficult (it's easier in fact!), it's just the hardest here because it doesn't let you have NG+ goodies carry over. Doing it fresh means, uh, basically nothing really. At least it sounds fancy.

Anyway, where were we? Right, hanging out with cool new people.

rio please sleep at home and not in class

Joy

> You can hear Rio's coaching voice...

Short Hair: Rio, can we take a break yet...?
Huh? But we're just getting started!
Short Hair: But we're all tired! It's not like we're gonna make the finals or anything anyway!

I see someone needs to watch Haikyuu!!

We could if we tried!
Club Members: Huh...?

> The club members look at each other in confusion...

Club Members: ......

> The club members fall into a sullen Silence...

Member: You're the only one that wants to take it that far...
...Who said that?
Club Members: ......

> Rio sighs...

Hair Buns: ...I don't think we're in the mood to keep going today. Let's just go, guys.
But the bell hasn't--

> All the other members leave...

Wh-Why don't you leave too? Looks like practice is over for today anyway...
I'll be fine on my own...
I can't leave you alone.
...You're so weird.

> You and Rio finished practice together...

Ah, it's almost time... Um... About today...
Is it always like this?
...Yeah.

> Rio laughs...

All I want is to play volleyball.

Oh, I shouldn't be saying this to someone who just joined up.
If... you wanna play volleyball, it'll be a lot of work. But you're welcome to change your mind if you want.

> Rio laughs...

> You feel like you understand Rio a little better now...

I'm so hungry. Why don't we go grab a burger or something?

> After finishing up with the club, you decided to stop by a burger place before returning to the dorm.

Like, okay, I kind of get that there'd be some people here who just signed up because Student Club Is Mandatory or whatever, right? But the entire club is a little extreme. There has to be something else to it than that, surely...

Oh well, worry about that later. For now, we'll hang out with Yukari since we can do that.

I dream about having a room just full of flowers one day.
Hey, what's your favorite flower?

Garde you gave me a list and its not on it? wow that sucks

I like gerbera.
Oh, I like those too. It's like they're cute, but full of energy too.
I like how they come in so many different colors.

...Back in the day, my house used to be filled with flowers.
My mom really liked flowers, so she always bought a lot of them. She'd decorate with the ones I'd pick, too.
That's probably why I like them so much... But for a while, there was a time that I didn't like seeing flowers.
They would bring back memories... And they reminded me that what is beautiful can quickly wither away.

It's appropriate that we're in high school, because this is some textbook high school level philosophy right there.

But, I don't feel that way lately. I even feel like getting some flowers for my own room.
*chuckle* I wonder why... I don't really understand this myself.

> Yukari stares at the flowers with a nostalgic look in her eye...

> You feel like you understand Yukari a little better now...

Excuse me! Can you make me a big bouquet for something like 3000 yen?
...Huh? No!?

> You decide to purchase a small bouquet and return to the dorm...

Y'know, I'm thinking we keep this SEES train rolling right on along...

Plus it's nice to have a Magician S.Link available here that doesn't annoy me.

After School

Ramen or a meal... Maybe a beef bowl... Oh wait, what about takoyaki...?
Uh, what do you want to eat?
Ramen!
Ooh, you're up for it, too?

Okay, let's go.

> Junpei is looking at a middle-aged man standing off to the side...

> He's also yelling something...

Do you think he's okay?
He's fine.

> Junpei grimaces...

> The drunk notices you looking at him and approaches you...

Whaddya want...? Get outta here.

> Junpei looks disgusted.

Did something happen, Mister?
Kotone! Just leave him alone! Let's go!

> Junpei seems to be in a bad mood...

I mean you're a girl... It'd be bad if anything happened to you!
*sigh* Uh... Sorry.
I... don't like seeing drunks like that.

> Junpei laughs dejectedly...

You...

I know that this'll make me sound like an rear end...
But I kinda envy you...

That's not true!
Oh... Sorry.
You must've had good parents.
...Sorry.

Honestly, I know the music notes are just a visual cue for "you got points" and all, but between that and the happy music I'm getting some real tonal dissonance right now.

> The ramen you ordered arrived.

> But, the heavy atmosphere makes it taste oilier than usual...

He'd just sit there and drink, all by himself.
And every time he did, he'd get violent over the stupidest stuff...
But... it doesn't hurt at all anymore.

No really, what? This music is super inappropriate for "Junpei's dad was a drunk and also beat him sometimes."

Also, man, that is one hell of a bomb to just drop on someone like that.

When I was a kid and I acted up, I'd get spanked and it would really hurt.

Whoa... Sorry for bringing that up. I must really be boring you.

Bored is the wrong word for it. By, like, a lot. It's a good thing this is in the timeline where the main character actually can do empathy.

C'mon, let's talk about something fun!

> Junpei laughs...

> You feel like you understand Junpei a little better now...

*munch munch*

> You and Junpei returned to the dorm together.

Way Of Life

So, this Sunday we're gonna do something a little bit different. We're gonna use this thing here. This is the first time that's happened, but the long and short of it is...

It uses your daytime slot to give you 10 points with the person you choose.

There's also a random event that is actually random.

Since it costs 100 yen to use, we just made a profit out of this. Nice!

Junpei still acts like a creep when he finds out about Fuuka, but at least here we can double-team him with Yukari. And it's deserved, let's be honest.

Right, anyway, back to school we go!

Joy

> ...Most of the members are missing...

No clue.
Girl's Voice: Excuse me! Could I borrow some of you guys' tape?

Well, here's an unexpected surprise. It's a girl we've definitely never met before, honest.

...Doesn't look like you have too many people here today, huh.
...Yeah.
I wonder where they heard about that group date...
Seriously, I don't know if I should be appalled or jealous...
Hey, you idiot!

Oh... Ohhhhhh... You didn't know...
Sorry, I heard the girls in the tennis club talking about it at the shoe lockers...
So, everyone went to that?
That's stupid...

...You'd get angry if we told you.

She also got angry because you didn't tell her. Perfect plan.

Of course I'd get angry!
W-Well, calm down...

You call a group date "taking a breather?"
Yes! I don't expect someone who's never been in a relationship to understand it, though!
And what's with that attitude of yours all the time!? Who do you think you are!?
What...!? I'm your leader! You're the ones that nominated me! Or did you all forget about that!?
If we knew you'd turn out like this, we never would've nominated you!

No, wrong argument! Abort mission! Abort mission!

Screw this! This isn't worth my time... I'm done with this stupid club.
You're a pain in the rear end, and I don't care about keeping up with you. I bet everyone else is gonna quit, too.

> The other members left...

Hey! I'm not done--

...It's not your fault, Yuko.
...Hey, I know that I'm butting into another club's business here, but...
You... really should make peace with them. I'll try and help, too...
They're the ones that are wrong.
Uh... That's true, but...
...Oh.

> The .girl approaches you and whispers something in your ear...

She doesn't know how to interact with people sometimes... To be honest, I'm kind of worried about her...
I try to lend a hand when I see things aren't going great, but I don't know much about your club...

Nice to meet you.

> Yuko left, still concerned about Rio...

...Sorry, but I want to be left alone right now.
Not gonna do it.
Haha... You really are strange.

> Rio seems hunched over and sad...

> You feel like you understand Rio a little better now...

No, you didn't miss anything there and neither did I. That's really just how it ends.

Time

Speaking of ends, since it's easier to get a reward in this reality, we managed to get something from Mitsuru even without coming first.

It's just a small set of cards for upgrading our Personae, mind you.

Since each card does Luck and another stat, we can upgrade all five stats. Strength, Magic, Agility and Endurance once and Luck four times. Gonna hold onto these for later, though. When something actually warrants them, I'll... probably forget I have them to be honest, but you never know.

We would hang out with Yukari again here, but since it's basically identical to Rank 3 in the "main" timeline we'll hold off on that for now I think.

So, instead, we'll hit up the last thing that is unique in this version of May. And that means more Junpei.

After School

C'mon, eat up!

> Junpei is awfully generous...

Thanks for the food!
Yeah, dig right in!

...You look like you're in high spirits, like always.

> Junpei seems relieved for some reason...

Were you worried about me?

I, uh... what?

> ...?

> What is he talking about...?

> ...You decide to ask him about it.

Uh, well...

> Junpei seems hesitant to speak...

Guess I shouldn't have brought it up...
...Okay, okay, I'll tell you.

Troubled

Um... Don't get mad at me, okay?

What did you do, Junpei?

...Supposedly, there are these photos of you going around.

...That's pretty weird!

There are other girls in them, too, but you're right up in the center, so...
I think whoever took the pictures was aiming specifically at you.
That's disturbing...
Yeah, seriously.
I mean, school is a public place, but it's kind of like peeping on you.

Kind of, nothing. We're getting into some real major violations of privacy with this one. Dang.

One of the guys in a different class found it.
He came over to me and was like, "Isn't this the girl in your dorm?"

> Junpei looks troubled...

After School

Still, you must really be popular. This kind of thing isn't normal.

That is really not helping!

I'd have to find who it was and kick his rear end if that happened, heheh...
But seriously... Be careful, alright?

> Junpei seems genuinely concerned about you...

> You feel like your bond with Junpei has grown a little stronger...

...Well, I'll think about it. Don't let it bother you too much.
But man, photos...?

Oh... No, never mind, haha...

> You and Junpei talked for a while before heading back together.

Well, that ended on a bizarrely heavy note. At least it was made pretty clear that despite coming across as a scumbag a lot of the time, Junpei DOES have the ability to actually be a cool dude and not creep on people just because they are girls. Alas, this is relegated to the S.Link Zone but it's nice to know it's there all the same.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 12, 2017

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Dragonatrix posted:

Since each card does Luck and another stat, we can upgrade all five stats. Strength, Magic, Agility and Endurance once and Luck four times. Gonna hold onto these for later, though. When something actually warrants them, I'll... probably forget I have them to be honest, but you never know.

Haha, seriously.

It's funny, I was just playing P3P myself and this updates.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dragonatrix posted:

At least it was made pretty clear that despite coming across as a scumbag a lot of the time, Junpei DOES have the ability to actually be a cool dude and not creep on people just because they are girls. Alas, this is relegated to the S.Link Zone but it's nice to know it's there all the same.
Yeah, Junpei suffers in the "main" timeline due to not having a Social Link to flesh him out more than the plot does. I think that if Magician had been Junpei instead of Kenji in the original, a lot of people would have been happier.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

quote:

Saori is the exception. Most people would think that she's worse than "Maya" for the Hermit and I... kinda agree, really. I know I'm normally contrary and snooty about SMT opinions but this time I am the mainstream. Sorry.

I'm sorry but this LP is no longer hipster enough for me to follow, I'm out.

Saori is garbage

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Shut up, Junpei. Hot chocolate isn't girly. Not everyone likes coffee. :argh:

Saori is clearly less cool than Maya considering she probably never says lmaonade.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Seconding this. Nothing's better than a nice hot cocoa on a cold winter's day and I will fight anyone who disagrees.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Seriously, I tell people I don't like coffee, they always can't believe it... But I have never heard of hot cocoa being called girly before, so maybe Junpei is just weird.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Glaive17 posted:

Seriously, I tell people I don't like coffee, they always can't believe it... But I have never heard of hot cocoa being called girly before, so maybe Junpei is just weird.

I worked at a Starbucks, despite hating coffee, so I never drank anything there. But I'm pretty sure I was the weird one in that case.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Glaive17 posted:

But I have never heard of hot cocoa being called girly before, so maybe Junpei is just weird.

Nah, it's just a dumb gender stereotype from :japan:. Sweet things are perceived as being childish and feminine, while spiciness, saltiness, bitterness and sourness are perceived as being mature and masculine.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Nah, it's just a dumb gender stereotype from :japan:. Sweet things are perceived as being childish and feminine, while spiciness, saltiness, bitterness and sourness are perceived as being mature and masculine.

And suddenly the whole thing with sour drinks in FLCL makes a lot more sense.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Hi, I'm a filler post. Please ignore me as I exist solely to put the update on the next page.