Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Just in case anyone missed it last month: season 2 is a go!
http://deadline.com/2017/05/american-gods-renewal-season-2-starz-neil-gaiman-bryan-fuller-1202089641/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I didn't realize the extent to which they were betting on a season 2, because if they hadn't gotten renewed that would have been an exceptionally frustrating season of television, doubly so for non-book fans.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Mr World's statements in that episode were odd.

He's basically saying that the old gods will die out either through battle or through gradual neglect, and he doesn't care about them. I couldn't think of anything more likely to incite the old gods to war, particularly Ostara.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Plucky Brit posted:

He's basically saying that the old gods will die out either through battle or through gradual neglect, and he doesn't care about them. I couldn't think of anything more likely to incite the old gods to war, particularly Ostara.

My take on that is that the Old Gods believe in the reciprocal relationship: prayers = favors/attention. The New Gods, on the other hand, have abandoned the quid quo pro direct-arrangement for diffused belief from large masses. When population densities were much lower, gods needed direct worship to become powerful enough regionally to manipulate the world. Now that everyone on the planet, to some extent, believes in the New Gods of Technology, Media, and Information they don't need direct prayers: 7 billion people have some form of belief in them. We can see this a little bit at the end with Easter, who even though she has no "direct followers," still has the power to blight every crop: diffuse belief is powerful.

Wednesday in the finale is basically throwing down and saying "one fervent believer is worth more than all the chattel masses."

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if Easter blighting all the crops will serve as an excuse for Bryan Fuller to film season 2 of American Gods in the winter, like each season of Hannibal was.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Mameluke posted:

I wonder if Easter blighting all the crops will serve as an excuse for Bryan Fuller to film season 2 of American Gods in the winter, like each season of Hannibal was.

I'm cool with this if it means new eps next spring.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Plucky Brit posted:

I mean, it does makes sense to our world — just not in a world where gods definitely, provably exist and have ridiculously powerful magical abilities. Media was doing the same thing, talking smack to Ostara about how theirs is an atheist world. I think it's in line with their characterization, which is that the New Gods are cocky as gently caress (and possibly bluffing hard).

Also this episode was loving amazing, so glad we finally got to see Easter/Kirsten Chenoweth and it was everything I wanted and then some :dance:

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 18, 2017

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Plucky Brit posted:

Well most of it due to how similar to the police station episode, the new gods see their victory as inevitable and think the old gods have to take the one side buyout deal.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The music on this show feels like such a weird mishmash. Sometimes they just decide to loudly blast random jazz or 60's songs over a scene, ruining whatever mood the story is trying to tell, other times there are these beautiful pieces of orchestral music. There is probably some logic behind this but it feels strange.

Really liked this episode. I groaned a little when Kristin Chenoweth showed up, but she was actually pretty good in the part and not playing her usual character.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Santa Claus confirmed

We have a Santa.
Repeat Virginia, we have a Santa.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Wednesday's loving grin when he drives over the bunnies was wonderful. Bastard's having the time of his life.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

It's going to be a long wait until Season 2. :( Time to enter the Odinsleep.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I could watch the scene of Wednesday telling Shadow that he is, in fact, some book poo poo forever

Oasx posted:

I groaned a little when Kristin Chenoweth showed up, but she was actually pretty good in the part and not playing her usual character.

I am still amazed Fuller restrained himself from putting her in Hannibal

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I just want to say that the faceless goons' moves were adorable.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have no experience with the book and that poo poo was loving awesome right at the end there.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

vermin posted:

Santa Claus confirmed

We have a Santa.
Repeat Virginia, we have a Santa.

i'm glad that santa is real

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Well, this definitely goes to show that this is going to deviate more from the book than I had realized.

But then... House on the Rock!

Soothing Vapors posted:

I could watch the scene of Wednesday telling Shadow that he is, in fact, some book poo poo forever

It bothers me that it took this long for it to come, especially when they plastered his name on a rocket, for crying out loud. That said, the payoff was worth it.

Taintrunner posted:

I have no experience with the book and that poo poo was loving awesome right at the end there.

The only thing in this episode that happened in the book was Wednesday's monologue of his names. "Easter" is a new character.

Revol fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 19, 2017

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

etalian posted:

Another episode of Mad Sweeney getting owned

Sad Weenie.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Easter is not a new character. She just shows up later in the book.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

double nine posted:

I just want to say that the faceless goons' moves were adorable.

:agreed:

That was a killer episode, very excited for season 2. Also, I know that white Jesus' face but I just cannot recall from where

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Knorth posted:

:agreed:

That was a killer episode, very excited for season 2. Also, I know that white Jesus' face but I just cannot recall from where

Hannibal? Justfied? Lost?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Ah yeah he was the awkward animal guy in Hannibal wasn't he

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Knorth posted:

Ah yeah he was the awkward animal guy in Hannibal wasn't he

"....is your social worker in that horse?" is one of the greatest lines in television history.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
And Faraday on :lost:!

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
My boyfriend, who has seen Saving Private Ryan way more times than one person should, pointed out that he was also in Saving Private Ryan.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Crow Jane posted:

My boyfriend, who has seen Saving Private Ryan way more times than one person should, pointed out that he was also in Saving Private Ryan.

Oh drat! I always forget that! And he's the loving main character!

But, literally everyone who spoke in the movie went on to have a career. Nathan Fillion is the guy they think is Ryan with the brothers in grade school. :psypop:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
He was also Charles Manson

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Kristin Chenoweth is pushing 50?!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Oh drat! I always forget that! And he's the loving main character!

But, literally everyone who spoke in the movie went on to have a career. Nathan Fillion is the guy they think is Ryan with the brothers in grade school. :psypop:

I always forget Vin Diesel is in that movie too, with a pretty significant part!

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Brian Fuller posted this in twitter.

Spoilers for those who haven't seen this chapter:

Some of the Jesus!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

All I could think of during that scene was "Korean Jesus ain't got time for your problems. He's busy dealing with Korean poo poo."

Was Media dressed up as a famous person this time?

edit: vvvv That's brilliant

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 19, 2017

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
Think they were going for Judy Garland.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

pr0p posted:

Think they were going for Judy Garland.

Easter Parade, as a matter of fact.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

My wife was hyperventilating as soon as she appeared, or anytime they did something, and had to explain to me how perfect it was.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
everyone on this show kills it, but Gillian Anderson kills it the most

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Soothing Vapors posted:

everyone on this show kills it, but Gillian Anderson kills it the most

"You wanna see Lucy's tits?" had me dying.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Seriously, every time she appears it's like everybody else disappears off the screen.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Must've been a painful birth.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That scene where Wednesday declares who he is was some crazy poo poo. This was a great episode but I'm kind of bummed the season is already over. I'm enjoying the dichotomy between old gods who need specific worshippers who pray to them, and the new gods who simply exist because people think of a thing. The old gods understand its a give and take where they receive prayers and they give rewards. The new gods don't understand that, because they just receive worship even if the people worshiping don't even realize they are doing it. They don't give anything back because they don't need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Tigren posted:

That's what I was looking for. Thanks.

the book isnt very good in toto. sure there are good parts but the story arc is pulled outta gaimans rear end