Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Well, yeah, if you don't have any encryption keys, you're probably better off just selling the boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atari teenager
May 29, 2008

Jetamo posted:

Can you elaborate? Which fractals? And how are they profitable?

I'm desperately poor, but at least halfway decently geared, so I'd appreciate some info.

lucifirius posted:

Fractals are fun and I got some pretty good gold from the fractal boxes being sold on the TP.

TeaJay posted:

Well, yeah, if you don't have any encryption keys, you're probably better off just selling the boxes.

Nooo! This is a common mistake because as usual with this game it's explained nowhere! But you can buy up to 30 keys at the vendor at a discounted price furthermore it is very profitable to buy the 30 keys add that to whatever keys you have then just buy enough fractal chests from the TP to open and then you just vendor the trash items and that alone is very profitable! with a full run of T4's I usually make 15-25g a day with this method alone. Also convert the +1's in a +9's at the vendor it's 256 +1's + 3g80 to make a +9

Atari teenager fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jun 16, 2017

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm in the process of saving my relics, so I've usually bought the keys with stabilizing matrixes, since I haven't got any other use for them, and opened boxes. I will probably start buying the deeply discounted keys once I don't have an acute need for relics anymore.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

TeaJay posted:

I personally feel like these armor and weapon chests from Fractals are a thing of myth. All my time I've done Fractals I got maybe 2 weapons and 1 armor chest. Some guys I run with pull that on a weekly basis. But even if you won't get anything nice, you get a lot of gold by selling junk.

I calculated it out before based on some data people were collecting and the median drop rate is like 1/week if you do all 3 every day so you could reasonably go a couple weeks without getting one, or months if you're more casual or frequently skip.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
So I should buy the bulk keys and open the boxes?

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Yes, and the rate at which pinks drop is heavily dependent on your personal reward level, and in particular it being at the higher end of the spectrum.

Atari teenager
May 29, 2008

lucifirius posted:

So I should buy the bulk keys and open the boxes?

yes that's how you get raw gold from fractals.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Okay good to know.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
good job on ek red bl for reset my dudes

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Would it be worth it to go through the Caladbolg process again to get another one?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Not really, you can't do the collections again so you have to craft the two pieces instead. I believe they're pretty expensive to do that.

Edit: yeah about 60g based on the stuff you can buy and then you need 30 fulgarite.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jun 17, 2017

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

asc weapon for only 60g sounds pretty cheap to me

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

I just started a necro named Neck Fro Man Sir. Some random person mailed me 5 gold because he liked my name. I immediately purchased Heart of Thorns.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Uganda Loves Me posted:

I just started a necro named Neck Fro Man Sir. Some random person mailed me 5 gold because he liked my name. I immediately purchased Heart of Thorns.

you have good name sense

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

where the red fern gropes posted:

asc weapon for only 60g sounds pretty cheap to me

yeah, that's actually kind of a steal

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

lucifirius posted:

Would it be worth it to go through the Caladbolg process again to get another one?

If you've already got characters that have finished the HoT story, yea go for it. The fact that they are not only stat selectable but also type-swappable is great value.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

AnacondaHL posted:

If you've already got characters that have finished the HoT story, yea go for it. The fact that they are not only stat selectable but also type-swappable is great value.

What, it's not a one time account option? Oh I just got all the daggers I needed. :getin:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Sprite141 posted:

What, it's not a one time account option? Oh I just got all the daggers I needed. :getin:

Yep. I've got a sword and shield right now via the two characters I've completed the HoT story with, being used by an alt that has done nothing. It is good value.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I'm working on a viper condi set for my engineer. Armor and weapons are set, but am I correct in my understanding that viper back/rings/accessories are much harder to get? As far as I can tell I could craft the rings but the rest would have to come from farming LS3 zones or getting a LS3 meta for the amulet.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Fifteen of Many posted:

I'm working on a viper condi set for my engineer. Armor and weapons are set, but am I correct in my understanding that viper back/rings/accessories are much harder to get? As far as I can tell I could craft the rings but the rest would have to come from farming LS3 zones or getting a LS3 meta for the amulet.

Crafting isn't really worth it, just go for the LS trinkets.

The wiki page was re-written a while back to try and make it much easier to figure out what you need to do to get the stats you want on trinkets. Scroll down to the "All" section, and watch out for stuff that's Unique.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascended_trinket#Trinkets_with_selectable_prefixes

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Getting (viper) trinkets from LS3 zones is not really hard. Those zones really throw the currencies at you, even though there are limits on how many you can get per day. If you have alts, the winterberry farm run is really fast. Others take a bit longer.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Ah, that's helpful. Does seem to confirm my fear though: gotta grind one of the currencies for a LS3 zone to get these items. Guess it'll be a while before I'm really raid ready!

^^^ I'll give that a go!

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
The LS3 stuff is unique, so you can't have two blood Ruby bands at the same time. Learned that the hard way, but at least I can give it to an alt.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

lucifirius posted:

The LS3 stuff is unique, so you can't have two blood Ruby bands at the same time. Learned that the hard way, but at least I can give it to an alt.

You can still wear them both if you attune or infuse one of them. It's only a problem if you plan on running fractals and need the extra AR.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Unique

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

It has been almost 2 years (gently caress time flies fast) since I played this game.

If I buy the expansion now how likely I'm gonna get hosed if they announce another one soon and then make the current one free in the future or something like that

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

frajaq posted:

It has been almost 2 years (gently caress time flies fast) since I played this game.

If I buy the expansion now how likely I'm gonna get hosed if they announce another one soon and then make the current one free in the future or something like that

Don't buy it now. In the next month or two, they're going to announce a new expansion, with pre-orders going up not too long after. How expansions work in this is that when you buy it, you're automatically granted all previous expansions. So, if you can wait two months or so, Heart of Thorns will be basically bundled with the pre-order.

That said, they did reduce the price to $30 recently, so if you want to get in on HoT early, it's not as prohibitive.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

cool, thats what I thought, i'll just wait until they announce the new one then

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Papal Mainframe
May 3, 2017
Crafted my first two pieces of ascended gear today. Not a huge achievement, but pretty big deal for me!

Also, found out just how awesome having a bag opening alt is.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
I'm now an ascended greatsword away from full ascended. Then I need the correct rings and trinkets for vipers.

Edit: bad news, my work needs my help at the same time the Monday raid happens, so I won't be able to make it. My Power PS Berserker is coming along nicely, I just need more hero points for the specialization.

lucifirius fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 19, 2017

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Is there still life in this old carcass of a game? Is endgame PvE a thing, and how poopsocky is it?

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Is there still life in this old carcass of a game? Is endgame PvE a thing, and how poopsocky is it?

Yes, yes, not really at all.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

DJ Dizzy posted:

It's wild to think of how old this game is yet there are still tons of people playing it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I think you dudes are exaggerating the age of this game quite a bit, MMOs are usually around much longer than this

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

1) plenty of people still playing

2) because of megaserver technology, you'll always see people running around the open world, even at the oddest possible hours. sometimes I'll be exploring the rear end in a top hat end of some stupid map, an event will start up, and within the next minute people will roll up even though it's the middle of nowhere

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Inzombiac posted:

It's wild to think of how old this game is yet there are still tons of people playing it.

It's almost like their core concept of no subscription model + accessible non-poopsock gameplay works.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I was running around doing world completion and ran across the Wizard's Tower. After poking around a bit I'm very disappointed they never did anything with it. I bet it was planned to be a dungeon at some point, but when they switched away from doing those they just archived any plans with it. Fighting a lich in a floating sky castle sounds like the coolest loving thing.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

it went unused in GW1 too

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
gently caress the provisioner token system. That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

Erdricks posted:

gently caress the provisioner token system. That is all.

I have 1 token and I need 899 more. Shoot me now please.

• Locked thread