Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

Cruise Missiles aren't considered ballistic.

oh right, they fly straight to a mother fucker.

edit:

For the record, this feels like a stupid thing to split hairs over. The US drops loving sick ordnance all the time it having to be fired in an arc just feels unnecessary.

FizFashizzle posted:

Iran isn't a rogue nation, whatever that even means.

I meant, "rogue state" which any state flippantly pursuing nuclear weapons qualifies for in my book.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/876616061671673856

:thunk:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

I meant, "rogue state" which any state flippantly pursuing nuclear weapons qualifies for in my book.

But they're not, nor have they ever really needed to.

cefte.txt

Caros
May 14, 2008

Chilichimp posted:

So... not Iran then?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Chilichimp posted:

Iranian Ballistic Missiles? Pretty sure we launched a fuckload of cruise missiles like 2 months ago, tops.

FizFashizzle posted:

Cruise Missiles aren't considered ballistic.

Yep. Times Of Israel says they're Shahab-3 medium-range ballistic missiles and that it's the first time that Iran has performed a combat launch since the Iran-Iraq war. The Shahab-3 is claimed to have a range of 1200km.

https://twitter.com/AbasAslani/status/876520907354853377

If you don't remember, the Shahab-3 was the missile that the Iranian Revolutionary Guards made a big spectacle over with photoshopping of it's tests and Israel made a big fuss over because the Iranians could deploy nuclear warheads with them. They seem to be a real thing and not a theory as well as have a combat record.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 19, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I'd consider a country like Pakistan more of a rogue state than Iran but WDIK.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

But they're not, nor have they ever really needed to.

cefte.txt

Is that where we are now? Iran has no nuclear weapons program and never did?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'd consider a country like Pakistan more of a rogue state than Iran but WDIK.

Neither countries are "rogue states". Iran is a near global power and tying desperately to exert their influence over their region, as they have been doing since the 1980's and, with the help of Russia, will continue. Invading Iraq in 2003 upset this precarious balance and we continue to see the consequences. Obviously the roots of this conflict go back much father, but we've seen an acceleration of power-plays since.

We are in the aftermath of a cold war that was declared won by the West, specifically the US, but it turns out the US has been losing for awhile now.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 19, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Chilichimp posted:

More knowledgeable people than I have opined that Iran only ever seriously pursued nuclear A) power and B) latency. The former would give them a fuckton more oil money to throw around in the medium term and the latter is obviously not amazing, but they were and are (well, maybe just were until very recently :v: ) apparently willing to trade B for A.

Edit: Kaddish, presumably you mean the 1980s BC

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Edit: Kaddish, presumably you mean the 1980s BC

I'm not including Persia in this scenario if that's what you're getting at.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kaddish posted:

I'm not including Persia in this scenario if that's what you're getting at.

It is but I was being a funnyman and it's not really that relevant to the topic.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Chilichimp posted:

Personally I take more umbrage with your use of the word 'flippantly'.

As Greyjoy pointed out, Iran never seriously pursued a significant nuclear weapons program. The simplest proof of this is in the pudding. North Korea and Pakistan both pursued and successfully developed nuclear weapons programs during the same period right wing hawks claim Iran was developing them. Iran is more competent than North Korea, if they wanted them, they'd have them.

Even beyond that, the idea that Iran would be so evil for pursuing proliferation is hypocritical, particularly when you claim it is 'flippant', as if defense for such a country is a non-issue. The US has been saber rattling against Iran for the better part of my lifetime, and history has proven that even if Iran completely dismantled any and all weapons programs, that would not stop the US from claiming they had them anyways. Considering their geopolitical foes, it is actually more shocking that Iran has not developed a functional bomb.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
Not out of character for the Daily Mail but still.
https://twitter.com/KeeganNYC/status/876621538853781505

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

FizFashizzle posted:

Iran isn't a rogue nation, whatever that even means.

From a page ago, but wasn't Iran part of the Axis Of Evil?

I'm sure that would resonate mopre in the mind of the average American than a fact. Sounds sheepish and lame, but that's where we are.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Bogatyr posted:

This actually seems accurate according to CNN. Apparently it was a gathering place for militants? Not sure if that's true now but it was at one point in the past. And Abu Hamza is serving a life sentence for supporting Al Qaeda so....

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

This actually seems accurate according to CNN. Apparently it was a gathering place for militants? Not sure if that's true now but it was at one point in the past. And Abu Hamza is serving a life sentence for supporting Al Qaeda so....

This may come as a surprise to you, but this framing after a terror attack is fairly disgusting.

Especially since Mr Hamza is no longer there.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

The wikipedia article seems to indicate that the mosque is now governed by a different group after Abu Hamza was arrested. Maybe they have cleaned up their act since then so it could just be a regular 'ol mosque now. But I have no context on the area or its history so that may be way off.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

At least they acknowledged that the driver was white right in the headline.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Paddy Dinham

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Data Graham posted:

At least they acknowledged that the driver was white right in the headline.

I honestly can't tell if its referring to the color of skin or the van.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I might still not be woke wrt Iran, you guys.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

This may come as a surprise to you, but this framing after a terror attack is fairly disgusting.

Especially since Mr Hamza is no longer there.

It's like reporting about an attack in Berlin and referring to it in the title as "The City Where Hitler used to Reign".

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
My understanding is the mosque is run by a completely different group top-to-bottom, and has been for at least 10 years. The Mail is race-baiting.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

would it have been ok to reference steve scalise's history with white supremacist groups in headlines when he was shot

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ralepozozaxe posted:

It's like reporting about an attack in Berlin and referring to it in the title as "The City Where Hitler used to Reign".

I was pondering some sort of tortured IRA analogy but this is better.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
A couple of ballistic missiles aren't going to do much, and they aren't all that accurate. But if you're Iran and you want to make a statement, lobbing some at a known ISIS territory is a good idea. At least the risk of hitting one of the other big power's personnel or BFF's is minimized.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

A rogue nation has fired cruise missiles through the air spaces of a US regional military ally.

Oh, almost forgot this one.

Iraq is also an Iranian regional military ally. :colbert:

if anything they're closer to Iran than to us

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nothus posted:

A couple of ballistic missiles aren't going to do much, and they aren't all that accurate. But if you're Iran and you want to make a statement, lobbing some at a known ISIS territory is a good idea. At least the risk of hitting one of the other big power's personnel or BFF's is minimized.

It's also a way to test some procedures and gain experience for your troops.

Im sure Iran has a lot of reasons to flex, considering Saudi's growing power

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Chilichimp posted:

Ah, so the US then

Bogatyr posted:

Is the van white or is the driver white?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

skylined! posted:

would it have been ok to reference steve scalise's history with white supremacist groups in headlines when he was shot

Sure, why not? When Bill Cosby dies is it okay if the article just talks about his standup years and the Cosby show?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Ah, so the US then

Is the van white or is the driver white?

The drivers white. The police are being mum while they figure out what happened which makes sense.

There was at least one media report indicating the driver intentionally targeted the worshipers and attacked people once he got out of his van. But that's still not confirmed.

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004

Eeyo posted:

The wikipedia article seems to indicate that the mosque is now governed by a different group after Abu Hamza was arrested. Maybe they have cleaned up their act since then so it could just be a regular 'ol mosque now. But I have no context on the area or its history so that may be way off.

No, you're right. You have no loving context, but your still talking out of your rear end.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Kaddish posted:

Neither countries are "rogue states". Iran is a near global power and tying desperately to exert their influence over their region, as they have been doing since the 1980's and, with the help of Russia, will continue. Invading Iraq in 2003 upset this precarious balance and we continue to see the consequences. Obviously the roots of this conflict go back much father, but we've seen an acceleration of power-plays since.

We are in the aftermath of a cold war that was declared won by the West, specifically the US, but it turns out the US has been losing for awhile now.

Invading Iraq in 2003 was probably one of the best things that could happen to Iran in a long time. Saddam was Iran's mortal enemy and we took him out. Then a Shia dominated government took over that was very friendly to Iran. The "Shia crescent" didn't used to include Iraq, but it does now very much.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

Invading Iraq in 2003 was probably one of the best things that could happen to Iran in a long time. Saddam was Iran's mortal enemy and we took him out. Then a Shia dominated government took over that was very friendly to Iran. The "Shia crescent" didn't used to include Iraq, but it does now very much.

And now we have a President who literally doesn't know the difference between a Shiite and Sunni.

Of course we may have already had that in W as well but who knows.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

And now we have a President who literally doesn't know the difference between a Shiite and Sunni.

Of course we may have already had that in W as well but who knows.

He's probably very much like the average american in that regard, to be fair.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

Sure, why not? When Bill Cosby dies is it okay if the article just talks about his standup years and the Cosby show?

ya ok it was a bad analogy but your question is also not analogous. still inappropriate to throw in obvious bait with a developing story, as until shown otherwise these were a bunch of innocent people.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Holy poo poo how is this loving real? :psyduck: :wtc:

Ffs Trump, you're the god drat President, act like one! Jesus Christ, I need a drink...

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Caros posted:

Personally I take more umbrage with your use of the word 'flippantly'.

As Greyjoy pointed out, Iran never seriously pursued a significant nuclear weapons program. The simplest proof of this is in the pudding. North Korea and Pakistan both pursued and successfully developed nuclear weapons programs during the same period right wing hawks claim Iran was developing them. Iran is more competent than North Korea, if they wanted them, they'd have them.

Even beyond that, the idea that Iran would be so evil for pursuing proliferation is hypocritical, particularly when you claim it is 'flippant', as if defense for such a country is a non-issue. The US has been saber rattling against Iran for the better part of my lifetime, and history has proven that even if Iran completely dismantled any and all weapons programs, that would not stop the US from claiming they had them anyways. Considering their geopolitical foes, it is actually more shocking that Iran has not developed a functional bomb.

The Iranian clerical establishment started the saber rattling first, fwiw. Much like with Saddam, things would've been substantially less toxic with them if they hadn't been so antagonistic to not just the US, but the UN and the Western world regarding the nuclear issue. Ahmadinejad almost seemed to relish the negative attention. His brand of right wing populism in a lot of ways is similar to Trumps.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Holy poo poo how is this loving real? :psyduck: :wtc:

Ffs Trump, you're the god drat President, act like one! Jesus Christ, I need a drink...

That's actually a pretty standard fundraising gimmick. At one point Hillary was raising money by a "win a lottery to have dinner with Hillary and then see Hamilton" event.

It's only laughable because no moral person should want to be in the same room with Donald by choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's actually a pretty standard fundraising gimmick. At one point Hillary was raising money by a "win a lottery to have dinner with Hillary and then see Hamilton" event.

It's only laughable because no moral person should want to be in the same room with Donald by choice.

It's still a drat dinner date with Trump. :colbert:

• Locked thread