Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I gotta vote for A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

B

Vote Count so far...

A: 14
B: 13
C: 1
D: 3

Dead heat. Advantage A, don't vote for D over B to help the NRWR...

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I gotta go D cause I don't want all the work the goons did on Andurien to go to waste. Finish the Fight brave Demon Hawks and Cyber-Rimworlders.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

DatonKallandor posted:

I gotta go D cause I don't want all the work the goons did on Andurien to go to waste. Finish the Fight brave Demon Hawks and Cyber-Rimworlders.

This is the main thing keeping me from just slam dunk voting for B right now. :saddowns:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Zaodai posted:

This is the main thing keeping me from just slam dunk voting for B right now. :saddowns:

Then I will. Voting B to tie it up.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I feel like one of the possibilities for B failing the vote is Far Country

Dedagn
Nov 30, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

To be honest, that's first thing that came to mind when I read about the possibility of a misjump.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

dis astranagant posted:

I feel like it is one of the possibilities of B winning too. Who knows what dice rolls PTN does in the background? :v:

Dedagn
Nov 30, 2013
Let's see where B takes us. SQUAWK

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Aw crap i can't choose

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Ooh, this is good. Real good.

A

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Voting A, it's time to take back my home planet and dig up the sanguine corpse.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Xarbala posted:

Aw crap i can't choose

Vote B. Deus Vult!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I just can't not vote for the deep strike raid.

B

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

kingcom posted:

Voting A, it's time to take back my home planet and dig up the sanguine corpse.

:golfclap:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Gotta go in for A.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

B. Show the Clans they are not safe anywhere.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
It's been approximately 5 years, 4 months since the Counting Coup scenario ended.

It's time for a recount. :clint:

Voting A.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Better B-lieve that I want that Long Jump mission

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Go for B, I always love it when somebody reminds the Clans that war is not a happy fun game of counting coup, and this seems like the mother of all missions to do so.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I love the Draconis Suns idea, so I gotta support it. A

It's like this. The original timeline Federated Commonwealth seemed like a good idea that could have worked....but ultimately fell apart because of lovely leadership.

In THIS timeline, we have the Draconis Suns which sounds like an idea doomed from the start...so if we can provide the leadership that let's it succeed against all odds, how cool would THAT be?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Cyborgs and Demons going ham on clanners?

D

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
It's a super close vote so I'm gonna lobby for A again.

We haven't done too much with the DS for a while, and there's a lot of interesting stuff to mine there. If you're thinking of voting for B to stick it to the Clans - which is understandable - A would stick it to them too, in a proper, less questionable way. A stand-up fight with a lot of potential for interesting tension between units and some combined-arms mayhem, all on a battlefield where the thread had some of its most famous moments.

If you're really digging the NRWR and want to avenge Amaris, then you want D. Same if you liked the Demon Hawks a lot and that's why you're pro-NRWR, because they might show up again on D.

Could B end up being an interesting scenario in a gameplay sense? Sure. PTN's not gonna make a bad scenario. He's good at this. Is it easy to look at it and go "this is a batshit crazy plan and it shows us somewhere we haven't seen?" Sure. And it's not like a vote for a LP thread on an internet comedy forum is going to make anyone a bad person or anything. And it's understandable that the most "stick it to the Clans" option is popular, because, well, people want to stick it to them. I'm not exactly rooting for them to win either.

But this is so obviously the beginning of a big heel turn for the NRWR, where we see not only how creative their plans are, but how underhanded and downright brutal they're willing to be. It is the gazing into the abyss and it gazing back. B is not just a daring ploy to cripple the Clans, it's changing the rules. It's not just about factories and politics and taking control of land or citizens, it's about aiming to destroy a culture. Not seizing anything but crippling; not claiming dominion over but reducing to a pre-industrial society, punishing not just the warriors and Khans but everyone down to the laborers. It's going back to a First Succession War kind of thinking. It is taking a society and leaving it to rot as one that will have to transition quickly across the board, from feeding the population to medicine to government. Again, Amaris' words: "I just want the Homeworld Clan society reduced to an agrarian one." The literal best case is being cut off from the rest of known space for literal centuries unless someone comes looking for them, with a massively reduced population and a dead culture sitting in the wreckage of the SLDF's last gasp. Again, best case.

It's not quite Galedon, Galax or Alarion during the Jihad, no. It probably doesn't rate with Kentares. But, it's arguably more morally bankrupt than what Amaris' forces did during the Coup when they retreated from worlds in the wake of the SLDF's advance, and that's some of the worst poo poo the original RWR did in the original timeline (and presumably in this one too). And we, the thread, would be the ones helping to carry out Amaris the Younger's mission in his own words.

So, you know, think about all that before you vote.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

This is the hardest vote so far. But it's father's day so voting D for King Dadlas. Any choice here is a winner though.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

This is Battletech. We should be doing war crimes. On the Clans.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Skoll posted:

I mean, I'll give you credit, that's definitely an opinion.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Skoll posted:

The Clans that, in this same vote, have a plan on the table to come in and brutalize everyone in the Inner Sphere, including the Clans that are already there.

The Clans in this timeline aren't very nice people, and they were already kinda dicks.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
gently caress the Clans D

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
To be fair, it's entirely possible that the players would be given the roles of the defending Clansmen trying to preserve their culture from the depredations of the vicious Amaris war criminals rather than the vicious Amaris war criminals trying to end Clan society.

By this logic, a vote for D could be a vote for trying to kill the Demon Hawks and now I kind of hope that happens sometime to see the thread debating whether or not it is morally acceptable to throw the match.

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
Voting A.

This was a super difficult decision, but Luthien 2: Davion-Kurita Boogaloo seemed most appropriate after the political vote. Maybe we can even see Minobu again.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

B although this was a hard choice

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Fraction Jackson posted:

An impassioned plea regarding potential genocide

Goddamn, you have solidly convinced me like no other poster here has. Voting B. gently caress the Clans

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

It's been approximately 5 years, 4 months since the Counting Coup scenario ended.

It's time for a recount. :clint:

Voting A.

Goddammit you beat me to that one-liner. :argh:

Still voting A, though.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Zaodai posted:

The Clans that, in this same vote, have a plan on the table to come in and brutalize everyone in the Inner Sphere, including the Clans that are already there.

The Clans in this timeline aren't very nice people, and they were already kinda dicks.

Ah yes, the well-known corollary to the Ares Conventions where nothing matters if the enemy "are kinda dicks".

I mean not that the Ares Conventions actually matter anyway, but, you know.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

To be fair, it's entirely possible that the players would be given the roles of the defending Clansmen trying to preserve their culture from the depredations of the vicious Amaris war criminals rather than the vicious Amaris war criminals trying to end Clan society.

By this logic, a vote for D could be a vote for trying to kill the Demon Hawks and now I kind of hope that happens sometime to see the thread debating whether or not it is morally acceptable to throw the match.

This is definitely true, although some people are voting for B specifically because they want to warcrimes the Clans, which is the attitude that I'm questioning here.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Pretty sure the Clans didn't sign the Ares Conventions anyway? Do we even know if it happened in this timeline?

[EDIT]
And the counter to your moral argument regarding the PLAYERS wanting to vote for it is "It's just a game, we're not actually war-criming anyone."

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 19, 2017

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

A We shall avenge the bravest little office chair.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The Ares Conventions significantly pre-date the Exodus.

The SLDF also never really gave much of a gently caress about them, and the Clans (despite them, ironically, being basically the platonic ideal of the Conventions' terms) don't either.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Strobe posted:

The Ares Conventions significantly pre-date the Exodus.

The SLDF also never really gave much of a gently caress about them, and the Clans (despite them, ironically, being basically the platonic ideal of the Conventions' terms) don't either.

Yeah, but the Clans aren't the SLDF anymore. :pseudo:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Ares Conventions were like early Star League guidelines-of-honor stuff that predate the Succession Wars, which is what people usually think of when imagining a time when having agreed-upon rules of conduct for warfare probably would've been nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Zaodai posted:

Pretty sure the Clans didn't sign the Ares Conventions anyway? Do we even know if it happened in this timeline?

I have no idea, and it wouldn't matter anyway since no one ever follows them, just seemed a funny way of pushing back against "well if they're jerks then it's cool". Not that I think people voting for fake fictional warcrimes in a game means they're cool with actual warcrimes, because that would be an insane thing for me to think, but it's fun to argue like it's somehow meaningful.

mercenarynuker posted:

Goddamn, you have solidly convinced me like no other poster here has. Voting B. gently caress the Clans

I mean I appreciate the honesty. Can't fault you for that.

• Locked thread