Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I may have accidentally ordered a new Wrangler, with no options. In Rhino grey.

oops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Gingerbread House Music posted:

oops

Don't they have a pickup truck version coming soon?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Don't they have a pickup truck version coming soon?

I have a four ton truck, i'm set on that front. Plus, lol at waiting two years for a first year model Fiat/Chrysler.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Just watched the last hour of the 24h race. What a race! I was thinking Corvette was going to take the win and surprised at the turn of events on the last lap. Those things are hammers and anvils. Terrifying and loud and just work. Sad to see the tires get the best of him.
Not seeing the whole race I was surprised at how non existent Ford Racing seemed to be.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Just watched the last hour of the 24h race. What a race! I was thinking Corvette was going to take the win and surprised at the turn of events on the last lap. Those things are hammers and anvils. Terrifying and loud and just work. Sad to see the tires get the best of him.
Not seeing the whole race I was surprised at how non existent Ford Racing seemed to be.

odd, at the Rolex 24 Ford seems pretty good. They took first and were having a good showing till the rain changed everything.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I was rooting hard for Corvette Racing because they were so obviously there to run the full 24 hours. They qualified just OK and just worked their way up the whole time. It's a dang shame but that's Le Mans.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Gingerbread House Music posted:

oops
:krad:
I take that to mean all the options will be arriving via FedEx.

It's supposed to be 110* today so I thought I would get an early start on playing with some new toys but 9:00am wasn't early enough. I pulled the front wheels off the Silverado to confirm that all the rubber is trashed and that everything else looks okay. Things were actually better than I expected, no play or grinding from the wheel bearings and the brakes looked recently replaced, in the last 5k maybe.

I'm so glad I finally gave in and bough a 18v impact gun and a decent jack. It makes driveway wrenching so much easier. I think a rolling stool is next on the 'things I'm too cheap to buy that would make my life easier' list.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

monsterzero posted:

:krad:
I take that to mean all the options will be arriving via FedEx.

It's supposed to be 110* today so I thought I would get an early start on playing with some new toys but 9:00am wasn't early enough. I pulled the front wheels off the Silverado to confirm that all the rubber is trashed and that everything else looks okay. Things were actually better than I expected, no play or grinding from the wheel bearings and the brakes looked recently replaced, in the last 5k maybe.

I'm so glad I finally gave in and bough a 18v impact gun and a decent jack. It makes driveway wrenching so much easier. I think a rolling stool is next on the 'things I'm too cheap to buy that would make my life easier' list.

I'm just planning 315/75R16s. chopped flares and a teraflex leveling kit to start.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cars 3 is excellent. Absolutely redeems Pixar for Cars 2, and is probably better than the original.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Any Canadian east coasters on here? I'm heading to Halifax for a week soon and my plans include gorging myself on all of the seafood, whale watching tour, checking out Peggy's cove, and exploring the city in general. I've got a rental car booked so I'll be mobile.

Any recommendations on must-see's /experiences? It's my first time on the east coast.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I love it where you're doing the fantasy car shopping thing and you find these complete oddities.

That's as a "daily", with commuting etc. I guess people don't really crash these things, but you'd swear insurance companies are working on the "chicken bones and ouija board" method sometimes.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I found over a certain age and on certain types of car you get ok prices. Being young and wanting anything even mildly fun put you into the gently caress barrel. I still think Australia has the best insurance system, you get 3rd party on your Rego/MOT/Inspection and if you want more coverage you pay for it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Cars 3 is excellent. Absolutely redeems Pixar for Cars 2, and is probably better than the original.

Didn't it come in far under expectations? You're the first person I've heard good things about it from.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Father's Day gift: two hours on a steeply gabled roof in 95deg full sun, pruning back a shitload of oak so he'll pass this year's fire inspection. He's a bit too old to do it himself and he had a falling-out with his longtime handyman, so I did it sneakily while he was at a car/trailer show. Only almost slid off once!

Happy Father's day to you fertile dudes.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Chicken bones is the industry standard. A 98 SVT Cobra is $20 cheaper a month than an 05 civic for a 22yo single male with no tickets or accidents in Chicago

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

BigPaddy posted:

I found over a certain age and on certain types of car you get ok prices. Being young and wanting anything even mildly fun put you into the gently caress barrel. I still think Australia has the best insurance system, you get 3rd party on your Rego/MOT/Inspection and if you want more coverage you pay for it.

Thats only third party bodily on your rego, so if you prang into someone and put them into the hospital and a lifetime of disability your not on the hook for millions in compensation.

Doesnt cover you for any form of property tho, so if you prang into a Rolls, your well and truly up poo poo creek and will be paying that one off the rest of your life.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Didn't it come in far under expectations? You're the first person I've heard good things about it from.

I've never claimed to have perfect opinions, but I don't really see anything to fault it with. It won't end up as one of their best works, but it's solid.

It is pretty much the first one from different perspectives.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Bajaha posted:

Any Canadian east coasters on here? I'm heading to Halifax for a week soon and my plans include gorging myself on all of the seafood, whale watching tour, checking out Peggy's cove, and exploring the city in general. I've got a rental car booked so I'll be mobile.

Any recommendations on must-see's /experiences? It's my first time on the east coast.
We went there in 2015. Took the train from Ottawa to Halifax, rented a car, drove around New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and ended up in PEI.

Personally I'd skip Peggys Cove. It's nothing of value if you don't go there unless you want to go to the Swissair 111 memorial. It's just a little tourist trap.

Best food we had was ironically at the Old Triangle pub right downtown Halifax. It was a blast. Food was great, service was awesome, people unbelievably friendly and you won't want to go anywhere else. Get there at a decent time, the place packs early with locals and the tourists have discovered it too. There was a Guinness Toffee pudding and I swear to god, it was the best desserts I've had in my life. You must try it. Also, be prepared for cold lobster since that's how it seems like the locals eat it. Be sure to keep a few hours aside for Pier 21 in Halifax. If you have deep Canadian roots, they have a very in depth genealogy centre and very helpful people that will help you get family history.

Since you have a car, if you can swing it go for a drive to the Bay of Fundy, Hopewell Rocks specifically. If you can swing an extra couple of days, consider driving north to Cape Breton and driving the highlands loop.

Nova Scotia was awesome, but my heart is now in PEI.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely check out Cape Breton, I'm assuming the highland loop is the highway that goes around the national park there?

We're there for 7 nights so should hopefully be enough time to experience the area.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Ferremit posted:

Thats only third party bodily on your rego, so if you prang into someone and put them into the hospital and a lifetime of disability your not on the hook for millions in compensation.

Doesnt cover you for any form of property tho, so if you prang into a Rolls, your well and truly up poo poo creek and will be paying that one off the rest of your life.

Third Party Property is pretty cheap tho. Altho not as stupid cheap as the Forester's comphrensive... the Liberty costs me 68 bucks a month but the Forester is only 30.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

The insurance on the 100 series is absolutely hideous- around $1200 a year, but that covers me driving ANYWHERE in Australia unless its in a 4wd competition and its also market value of vehicle + accessories.

So $46-50K for a replacement HDJ100 and by the time you add up all the barwork, lockers, engine mods, suspension, radios, drawer units, the factory alloys (Which are $1200 EACH from the dealer) and everything else its about the same again. Their definition of market value is as if someone walked in off the street, ordered the accessory and had it fitted at market rate, so my rear bar which i paid $2500 for would be close to $5K if joe blow walked into ARB and bought it.

They also replace the accessories with the latest versions if they're superseded- so my HF radio, which is a 25yr old Codan cant be bought new any more. I paid $800 for it, but they've said if it got stolen they'd replace it with the latest Codan HF, which is a $4.5K unit without antenna!

So im happy paying my $120 or so a month for that!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That's about what I pay for my Saturn's insurance. :smith: I could probably knock a bit off if I dropped collision, but I'd rather pay a bit more per month instead of having to go "ohshit" and find another car if I gently caress up (or, as with what happened last year, someone with insurance hits me, but their insurance drags it out for 9 months).

Also, insert that famous "IT'S HAPPENING" gif. New compressor ordered. gently caress this loving heat, I drat near passed out a couple of times yesterday. Don't know how long the compressor will last, it's from Jim Bob's House of Taxidermy and Compressors on eBay, but if it lasts a year or two I'll be happy. Tried contacting several people selling used ones asking if they were Sanden or Delphi, nobody ever replied, so it looks like Jim Bob gets my money.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 19, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Father's Day gift: two hours on a steeply gabled roof in 95deg full sun, pruning back a shitload of oak so he'll pass this year's fire inspection. He's a bit too old to do it himself and he had a falling-out with his longtime handyman, so I did it sneakily while he was at a car/trailer show. Only almost slid off once!

Happy Father's day to you fertile dudes.

Good work dude.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

That's about what I pay for my Saturn's insurance. :smith: I could probably knock a bit off if I dropped collision, but I'd rather pay a bit more per month instead of having to go "ohshit" and find another car if I gently caress up (or, as with what happened last year, someone with insurance hits me, but their insurance drags it out for 9 months).

My Focus ST was just a hair over $80/month to insure when I bought it new in December of 2014. It is currently right at $112/month. Other than me and the car both getting older, nothing has changed in regards to my driving habits or record. Almost a 30% increase in 2-1/2 years is kind of bullshit, but it's not like I really have a choice about it. /sigh..

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Bajaha posted:

Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely check out Cape Breton, I'm assuming the highland loop is the highway that goes around the national park there?

We're there for 7 nights so should hopefully be enough time to experience the area.
No problem. Yeah, there is a highway which follows the perimeter of the park which is a great drive.

The old Citadel in Halifax is a must visit as well. If you do make it to PEI, be sure to go to a lobster supper. We went to New Glasgow and it was amazing.

A week really might not be enough time to do all of this though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The Locator posted:

My Focus ST was just a hair over $80/month to insure when I bought it new in December of 2014. It is currently right at $112/month. Other than me and the car both getting older, nothing has changed in regards to my driving habits or record. Almost a 30% increase in 2-1/2 years is kind of bullshit, but it's not like I really have a choice about it. /sigh..

I got smacked with a large increase (on the liability portion, wtf) when I moved last year.

It was about a $30/month difference.

I moved from a solidly upper middle class area to working class.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The insurance on my Accord dropped from $240/month to $140/month when I moved from Vancouver to Victoria.

This is on a '99 Accord, with a 30% good driving discount.

loving insurance in this province is fuuuucked.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I haven't moved in 12 years since I bought this house. Literally the only thing on my end that has changed is that 2.5 years have passed. There must be some real winners out there wrecking the poo poo out of ST's on a pretty frequent basis.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

12:35 am, it's still 86 degrees out.

This week: :supaburn:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
What the gently caress is it about white vans recently?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

By recently you mean "since the invention of the closed motor carriage for goods transport" right?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Learn how to rebuild compressors and keep the old one as a spare. That's what I do.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

rhyno posted:

Need a small, fast car
Have you checked out any VW R32s?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've never claimed to have perfect opinions, but I don't really see anything to fault it with. It won't end up as one of their best works, but it's solid.

It is pretty much the first one from different perspectives.

Do I need to see the 2nd one to see the 3rd, for plot points, dead characters, whatever?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

No need to. I don't think I saw a single throwback to Cars 2. Technically they killed off Doc Hudson (since who the gently caress replaces Paul Newman... nobody, that's who) but in Cars 2 it was a "oh he died a while back, we miss him, HEY HERE'S MATER" sort of thing.

Cars 2 was basically a feature length version of those "Mater's Tall Tales" shorts they did. In 3, Mater is back to just a side / background character.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

everdave posted:

I haven't shipped to Australia in a long time but I can get new Vostro 1400 motherboards for $50-100
I've given up on other options so where can I get one from?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

keykey posted:

The best part of letting your in-laws borrow your car is fixing it when they gently caress it up. Also finding more poo poo wrong upon inspection when they want you to fix their "initial" gently caress up. Driving it 25 miles back home with the temp light on and the needle pegged to max is the proper way to do things, right? "We managed to get it home..." Also "the tags are due and it DMV says it needs to be snogged, are you going to do that for me while you're fixing the cooling issue?" No you assholes, you've had it for a year without buying anything else yet. Get off your rear end and pony up to borrow it. Sorry. Rant over.

Yeah, I think you've got a right to bitch.
I've always been the opposite. I tend to fix things when i borrow a car. they get it back better than it was.

monsterzero posted:

Mid '90s here in DFW, TX, but humid, this past weekend (it's finally raining now today). And I was out in it all weekend doing the brakes on my Crown Vic. Power/Air tools help a lot. A box fan and some portable shade helps, too. I have the rolling stool, but it was still a bit tall for how i had the car positioned - I should have jacked it up as far as the jack and stands would let me. Ended up sitting on the removed tires, so worked out OK.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Also, insert that famous "IT'S HAPPENING" gif. New compressor ordered. gently caress this loving heat, I drat near passed out a couple of times yesterday. Don't know how long the compressor will last, it's from Jim Bob's House of Taxidermy and Compressors on eBay, but if it lasts a year or two I'll be happy. Tried contacting several people selling used ones asking if they were Sanden or Delphi, nobody ever replied, so it looks like Jim Bob gets my money.

If you need AC equipment (vac pump and gauges), I have them, and three major auto parts stores within a mile or two.

Regarding the aforementioned Crown Vic brakes:

Soooo much better than rust/semi-metallic brake dust.

Note the water on the ground where someone had to degrease and wash the engine compartment, frame, and driveway because they forgot to siphon off little brake fluid before compressing the caliper pistons, which were pretty much all the way out (front pads were reeeeeaaaally thin.)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Are you on Pistonheads? There's a lot of previous threads there, and people who know this stuff, and can give good advice on speeding punishments. Fair number of dickheads too, though.

I think you'll get 3 points and a £100 fine. Did they stop you for a chat at the time, or waiting on a NIP (Notice of Intended Prosecution, for those following along abroad)?

Got a letter today and I get to choose 3 points and £100 fine or I can take it to court (as much as it annoys me that they got me right after the limit change sign I'll just take the fine+points)

Then also today, a German car parts supplier who i bought a load of Saab bits from have messed up a partial refund for a single returned incorrect item and are attempting to give me the full order value back instead and I've been good and told them despite being tempted to get them to pay my fine for me.

I am hoping this results in some good karma rather than many confusingly translated emails and me not even getting the correct refund.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Fo3 posted:

I've given up on other options so where can I get one from?

I can order from a parts supplier here, message me if you really want to do this but new laptops are cheap these days, but I can help if you want to do a new mobo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

Got a letter today and I get to choose 3 points and £100 fine or I can take it to court (as much as it annoys me that they got me right after the limit change sign I'll just take the fine+points)
Probably best. Pity there's no SAC option for you, but there you go.

In today's news, someone messaged me on Ebay asking about a component for a car, and I did happen to have one lying around, so I said sure, you can have it for a tenner. Listed it and sent him the item number straight away (like within 10 seconds of the listing going up).

Some other bugger bought it five minutes later.

Now, I have sympathy for the guy, but I've had a slap on the wrist from ebay courtesy of their inane "selling outside of Ebay" policy*, so I have to play it 100% straight with listing anything requested directly, and not cancelling purchases without a good reason or buyer agreement. Messaged the buyer to ask if he feels like doing him a good turn and letting the original guy have it, but that's all I can do. Matey isn't very happy about it, but I'm kind of painted into a corner.

*Selling car parts used, say an engine, which funnily enough is something people want to actually come and look at before buying. So they turn up, want it, and give you cash. No matter what you say to them, you can't make them buy it on ebay, and trying to tell ebay that I'm perfectly happy to pay you what the fees would have been if you let me gets you nowhere except a warning your account'll be suspended if they find further fault with you.

• Locked thread