Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Yes, I'm sure a demon named Cat-Master will in no way be involved with cats from here on out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Those cats know the risks involved. This isn't their first rodeo. They're willing to accept a bad hand if that's what fate deals them.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I'm pretty sure most of these awesome devil designs are dead men walking so I'm going to enjoy their presence as long as I can

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its at the very least insanely difficult to actually murder a devil in throne

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Tollymain posted:

its at the very least insanely difficult to actually murder a devil in throne

Even assuming this is true, and you aren't thinking of angels,

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im assuming that its plausible but also complicated and inconvenient to permanently murder a devil even for a demiurge

as for after, mammon's plots seem to grind slow but finely, which is great for when you're an uncontested ruler of the universe but maybe not so effective when the conquering king's heir is about to set the universe on fire

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Hard to permanently kill a devil, but on the other hand if no one cares about them enough to actively go to the effort of trying to bring them back you've as good as permanently killed them.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im p sure you have to hunt down a devil in the void to finish them off in like 99% of cases, loving them up in the real world just means they get banished is all usually

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Poltergrift posted:

Can confirm -- I follow the blogs of the people who came up with them, and they confirmed that Xand and Nxor were logic gate jokes.

Yeah, I found it especially fitting since another character's name Preem Nand can also be considered a logic gate reference...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tollymain posted:

im p sure you have to hunt down a devil in the void to finish them off in like 99% of cases, loving them up in the real world just means they get banished is all usually

You're thinking angels.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tollymain posted:

It seems like a tremendous task to bring back a devil that's been killed. It took Ciocio's husband months to reassemble her mask, and he had all the resources of his slave empire. Even then, Ciocio seems to be a very different person than Yabalcoath.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

MikeJF posted:

You're thinking angels.

even then won't they slowly come back to life after aeons or w/e?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Yeah, for devils, it's just about breaking the mask. The mask is the only thing keeping the chunk of raw chaos that is the actual devil in a human-like form. The mask, functionally, is the devil that we actually are familiar with. Angels exist in a true form in the void and an animate shell that that form inhabits. You can kick them out of the world by breaking the shell, but killing the real angel involves destroying their real form, which can either be done in the void or by destroying their body in a sufficient traumatic way. Devils just return to being part of the black flame, whereas angels will gradually reform into a new shape over many, many years. (Long enough that a dead angel is effectively out of the comic.)

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SniperWoreConverse posted:

even then won't they slowly come back to life after aeons or w/e?

For a value of 'comes back to life' that involves having basically no recollection of their past life and functionally being a new, different angel. But on a long enough timescale there's a fixed number of angels in the universe, no matter what you do.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I guess we'll get a good look at the process when Allison murders White Chain with extreme brutality.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Yeah devils do not have a true form outside the masks unlike angels. Without the mask they have no personality or selfhood or anything like that, they're just burning black tongues of chaos. That's why Cio describes what her husband brought back as "me, or something like me." She is literally not really the same person anymore, she merely possesses some of the components that once made up Yabalchoath. Enough to remember what kind of devil those components used to make up, but distinct in important ways.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I guess we'll get a good look at the process when Allison murders 2 Michael with extreme brutality.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Schwarzwald posted:

It seems like a tremendous task to bring back a devil that's been killed. It took Ciocio's husband months to reassemble her mask, and he had all the resources of his slave empire. Even then, Ciocio seems to be a very different person than Yabalcoath.

That was reassembling the mask. If the mask is broken than its all over (and even than not completely) but if you had the intact mask I imagine its not all that hard to stick some new flame in it and call it a day.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

A similar mask and a similar flame is apparently good enough as far as the devils are concerned; that devil who was bargaining with the freelance warlocks for a fresh mask probably wasn't committing elaborate suicide. Cio claims to be a somewhat altered Yabalchoath, the other devils all agree with her, and she has about as much grounds for saying she's the same person as a devil that went up or down a color does.

Devils don't seem to get too worried about whether the self who wakes up in the morning is the same self who went to sleep the previous night

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 20, 2017

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

A similar mask and a similar flame is apparently good enough as far as the devils are concerned; that devil who was bargaining with the freelance warlocks for a fresh mask probably wasn't committing elaborate suicide. Cio claims to be a somewhat altered Yabalchoath, the other devils all agree with her, and she has about as much grounds for saying she's the same person as a devil that went up or down a color does.

Devils don't seem to get too worried about whether the self who wakes up in the morning is the same self who went to sleep the previous night

Which I guess means they sidestep the Star Trek transporter philosophical issue. Though thinking of that that makes me wonder if you can copy a devil in some fashion with an identical mask, or if their inherit chaos prevents that. Maybe similar masks to start with is how you get a "brother"/"sister" like Xand/Nxor in the first place, unless it's just a factor of being crafted by the same "parent".

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I just assumed all the 'family' relationships were entirely invented, part of human culture that devils liked so now they'll adopt 'grandchildren' or 'brothers' or whatever relation suits their dynamic from time to time

Same as, like, they don't reproduce like people do, but they clearly like the idea of loving

ziggurat
Jun 18, 2017

by Smythe
he bought the mask back piece by piece on devil ebay over many years and then when cc came back he was like welcome home sugarplums do you like my new big cat dick :dong: and she immediately turned gay

ziggurat
Jun 18, 2017

by Smythe
like when yab died it looks like they were about the same size and shape but then she comes back as tiny cc and is confronted with a spiny blue erection that's bigger than she is, it would be like unbirthing sonic the hedgehog

ziggurat
Jun 18, 2017

by Smythe
k6bd reminds me so much of early clive barker (the good stuff) that i automatically approach it on the same level so i'm just picturing everything's dick/s all the time

ziggurat
Jun 18, 2017

by Smythe
it's very confronting

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
this... took a strange turn

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

this... took a strange turn

But not unwelcome :q:

ziggurat
Jun 18, 2017

by Smythe
i can't stop thinking about devil dicks and it's ruining my life

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

ziggurat posted:

Oh god it's Homestuck's trolls all over again.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What tune should I be singing these lyrics along to?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

ziggurat posted:

same but nipples tbh

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Reene posted:

Yeah devils do not have a true form outside the masks unlike angels. Without the mask they have no personality or selfhood or anything like that, they're just burning black tongues of chaos. That's why Cio describes what her husband brought back as "me, or something like me." She is literally not really the same person anymore, she merely possesses some of the components that once made up Yabalchoath. Enough to remember what kind of devil those components used to make up, but distinct in important ways.

Yeah, broken

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Reene posted:

same but nipples tbh

:wink:

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Do devils have belly buttons. How many devils can you fit on the head of a pin.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

If there is one devil on trolley track A and five on track B, and there's a switch that will switch the oncoming trolley to track A, how much time will goons spend wondering what the switch's dick looks like.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

:catstare:

I hope Abaddon is okay.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

blastron posted:

:catstare:

I hope Abaddon is okay.

Is this a devil dick thing or did something else happen?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
It's a superstition from another thread, hoping the author puts up another update because the thread's discussion is going to poo poo.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

White Coke posted:

Is this a devil dick thing or did something else happen?

It's an Order of the Stick joke. People get concerned about Rich Burlew because he's got chronic health issues and doesn't update for a long time, and then for a while it just so happened that people would say that and he'd immediately update and the existing discussion would be totally derailed, so after a while people started saying "BOY HOWDY I SURE HOPE RICH IS OKAY" during especially terrible conversations in the hopes it would happen again.

Conversations like this one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

In a cruel ironic twist KSBD updates tomorrow with a bunch of stick figure drawings and longwinded observational comedy about rolling critical failures