Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lumpy the Cook posted:

The confessions thread got archived so I may as well say it here, I bought the TW3 strategy guide just for its Gwent section.

i didnt touch gwent once and im not dong it on the second run either. i know it adds another layer to the game and theres a lot of unique dialogue behind it but i just wanna be middle ages batman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Fungah! posted:

th ghost also causes a plague that kills a shitload of people. nice goin geralt

god lmao will i just run into this eventually? or should i go somewhere specific

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

extremebuff posted:

i didnt touch gwent once and im not dong it on the second run either. i know it adds another layer to the game and theres a lot of unique dialogue behind it but i just wanna be middle ages batman

I couldn't get into it at first so I just ignored it. After beating all the regular missions I tried going back to it and actually enjoyed it but kept getting my rear end kicked because I just had the lovely starter deck and not all the cool cards I guess I should have been winning in Gwent games from the beginning so I gave up again. Maybe when I finally get around to playing it again to catch all the book references I missed the first time.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

extremebuff posted:

god lmao will i just run into this eventually? or should i go somewhere specific

i dont think it shows up in the actual game, just in th bestiary entry on the plague ghost or in dandelions quest summary or somethin

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Lumpy the Cook posted:

The confessions thread got archived so I may as well say it here, I bought the TW3 strategy guide just for its Gwent section.

Jesus

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I'm enjoying the quests and writing so far, but man it's a lot of talking.. I can see why this game takes so long to beat..

I was a little sad to see the alchemy collecting is the same tho. I don't know how to fix that but running around an open world struggling to get the camera just right to pick up the last flower you need is balls.

Haven't done much fighting yet aside from the random baddiez in the field but I'm suiting up for my first real fight. Does this game have special timed hits? I remember that being a thing but don't remember any tutorial mentioning it

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

extremebuff posted:

drat you will straight up miss out on poo poo if you're not paying attention.

theres a certain quest early on where you need to help with a ghost problem. you talk to the ghost, and they ask you to do them a favor. my first run, something was obviously up so i refused and a boss fight ensued, then it started this whole other chain of events that lead to more exposition and rewards.

this time, i decided to just trust the ghost to see what would happen. she murders a dude, quest completed. no boss, no more story, no follow-up quest, just, you did it geralt! :/

everyone can potentially be lying to you and theres consequences for believing them

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I'm enjoying the quests and writing so far, but man it's a lot of talking.. I can see why this game takes so long to beat..

I was a little sad to see the alchemy collecting is the same tho. I don't know how to fix that but running around an open world struggling to get the camera just right to pick up the last flower you need is balls.

Once you get a few hours in and you're making money and have some herbalist vendors to buy from you never really have to stop to pick up flowers or anything. I would loot them if I happened to be walking by them but never got off my horse just to do so or anything and I was never hurting for materials -- you can buy all the common ingredients without really putting a dent in your finances

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

i spent like two days of playing the witcher 3 just travelling the land buying gwent cards and doing quests to afford more so I could have a killer deck lol

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

theres actually an awesome payout via a quest if your gwent deck is powerful and your skills up to par

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
And no I don't think there are special timed hits, but positioning matters a lot. I know you do a shitload more damage to human enemies especially if you can get behind them or beside them (and I'm pretty sure it increases the odds of you pulling off an instant kill?)

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

epic questfeel

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Haven't done much fighting yet aside from the random baddiez in the field but I'm suiting up for my first real fight. Does this game have special timed hits? I remember that being a thing but don't remember any tutorial mentioning it
don't bother collecting alchemy stuff 90% of the time, just buy it off herbalists for cheap

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Once you get out of the first area and onto the big map the pace picks up a bit. The starting zone is slower and less combat heavy than the rest of the game, since it basically acts as a super long tutorial for all the different game mechanics

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

goferchan posted:

And no I don't think there are special timed hits, but positioning matters a lot. I know you do a shitload more damage to human enemies especially if you can get behind them or beside them (and I'm pretty sure it increases the odds of you pulling off an instant kill?)

attacking things in the back is generally smart and i think increases crit chance a shitload.

theres a counter you can do on humanoids using block but that stamina is better used on your magic IMO, the counter feels badass though

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

also yeah white orchard (the starting zone) is a little safe island for you to try out the game's mechanics. i'd advise exploring it though, it's really small and you'll find some reaaaally nice early boosts if you help out the locals. but i think the most dangerous thing in the area is like, a local bear lol

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

extremebuff posted:

also yeah white orchard (the starting zone) is a little safe island for you to try out the game's mechanics. i'd advise exploring it though, it's really small and you'll find some reaaaally nice early boosts if you help out the locals. but i think the most dangerous thing in the area is like, a local bear lol

I remember one spot having some drowners in the teens for level I had to go back eventually to clear out, but it was just a random ? in a lake iirc. Nothing too important.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the arbitrary mobs of random normal-looking enemies that are actually extremely powerful are the worst part of the game but they don't really matter too much

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

the arbitrary mobs of random normal-looking enemies that are actually extremely powerful are the worst part of the game but they don't really matter too much

Ironically its probably the only thing in the game that reminds me of typical western RPG horseshit

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

if its around guarded treasure or something, i dont mind since the treasure is intended for a higher level character and it'd just sit in your inventory forever anyway.

random mobs that aren't guarding anything usually aren't very powerful for the zone they're in. if something is just a few levels above you, you can take them on red skull or not even on hard.

if its a boss monster or they have ?? levels thats a different story lol. i love randomly running into a griffin on a hill, he's not guarding any treasure he's just a loving powerful legendary griffin and he likes this drat hill

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

HORMELCHILI posted:

theres actually an awesome payout via a quest if your gwent deck is powerful and your skills up to par

there's also a fun quest in B&W that has a bunch of drunk, violent dwarves angry that somebody is ruining gwent by adding more cards.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

tao of lmao posted:

I remember one spot having some drowners in the teens for level I had to go back eventually to clear out, but it was just a random ? in a lake iirc. Nothing too important.

Oh yeah this reminds me: your crossbow does like 1000000 damage when you and the target are both swimming so even much higher level enemies you can kill pretty easily

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

An important thing to remember is that quen does't have bleedthrough. If you are playing on death march or doing some kind of gimmick that makes you unable to take a hit just spam quens while you wittle the enemies down.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

An important thing to remember is that quen does't have bleedthrough. If you are playing on death march or doing some kind of gimmick that makes you unable to take a hit just spam quens while you wittle the enemies down.

Between quen and the quick dodge button, you almost have to try to get hit.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think the endboss of B&W can OHKO you even through Quen. It is pretty OP though

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

https://youtu.be/A3GEPkjNh6k

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

when you first look at the world map in white orchard

when you beat white orchard and look at the real world map

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

extremebuff posted:

when you first look at the world map in white orchard

when you beat white orchard and look at the real world map

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol @ touissant getting the ken doll treatment

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

An accurate depiction of the Statue Balls Quest.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

love how the crones are built up in the story

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

extremebuff posted:

love how the crones are built up in the story

Yeah, nothing until the first DLC comes close to the Crones as villains, particularly not the Wild Hunt. You feel their influence all over Velen long before they're so much as named.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i didnt know installing mods for this was so easy. auto apply oils is a must

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

at the date posted:

Yeah, nothing until the first DLC comes close to the Crones as villains, particularly not the Wild Hunt. You feel their influence all over Velen long before they're so much as named.

The Wild Hunt kind of suck lol

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

extremebuff posted:

There's an auto-loot mod that's a lifesaver.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

extremebuff posted:

Yah and auto loot and the thing that increases how much poo poo you can hold because gently caress that

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

tao of lmao posted:

There's an auto-loot mod that's a lifesaver.

Sounds like an awesome game. Not.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the weight limit is fine, keeps you from piling up a ton of crap and you can upgrade it a lot very early on.

theres "quality of life" mods that make it so that every vendor always buys your stuff for the maximum amount and poo poo like that breaks the game imo, just cheat in money at that point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The Wild Hunt kind of suck lol

yeah.

• Locked thread