Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bad Seafood posted:

If you're playing the GBA version, you can abuse quicksaving to avoid the fight altogether.

I could hardly ask you to donate if I just cheesed my way through the pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

I haven't seen a blue magic guide here, so here's my attempt at writing one. I'm using the GBA names here, so you'll have to look up the translation if you're playing a different version.
  • L3 Flare: Useful for getting Mighty Guard.

A surprising amount of endgame enemies are multiples of 3 and it's stronger than single target Aeroga. Sadly it only hits the physical part of ned without several casts of dark spark. Notably Almagest can be taken down to level 33 in one cast, crippling it and letting you dish out some extra damage.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Am I still supposed to tweet Gilgabot when I hit the water crystal if I've got Berserker risk, or do I need to do something special?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Am I still supposed to tweet Gilgabot when I hit the water crystal if I've got Berserker risk, or do I need to do something special?

Yeah, nothing changes because you're risking, aside from the cards you get dealt.

(the cards are berserkers)

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Exdeath

Full Powered Brave Blade

Victorious Captain Basch fon Ronsenburg of Dalmasca

I tried for a triple crown, but holy poo poo does Wave Cannon suck.

Next up!

... was it A Butt? I think it was A Butt.

A Butt the Blue Mage (Wow this is a nice year)

Blue/Knight/Thief/Dragoon/Blue

Ignoring the Dragoon, that's all Wind. Neato.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 19, 2017

RME
Feb 20, 2012

brother

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Omega still difficult due to all the statuses he throws out, and I don't have any ribbon-able classes. Or spellblades. Any suggestions? Aren't there usually equipments that can cast haste/shell/etc when used as an item?

Edit: Guess not, you have to be able to equip it to use it like that. :negative:

Bad Seafood posted:

:siren: Calling all Captains Courageous! :siren:

This year, like every year, I plan on using the Chicken Knife like the dirty little coward I am. But you know what? I think you can do better!

For everyone who completes their run with a fully functioning Brave Blade either equipped or in their inventory (which is to say, a Brave Blade at full power; no running), I will donate $5 to Child's Play, up to a total of $150. For proof, all I ask is a screenshot of your party, standing before Exdeath in the Rift, with another screenshot of your untarnished Brave Blade boasting 150 attack power.

http://imgur.com/a/oNOcJ

I am very brave!

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jun 19, 2017

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Edit: Accidental double post

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Fhqwhgads posted:

Just hit the Fire crystal and Gilgabot has given me Knight/Mystic Knight/Ninja/? so far. What's better for a Mystic Knight? Two Handing or Dual Wielding? Also, is this setup decent so far? Kind of worried about not having mages yet (Normal Run).

You're probably not going to get Dual-Wield until World 3, so Two-Handed will be your default option for most of the game. Late-game, dual-wielding is generally slightly better because it lets you bypass the damage cap. Though there are some fights where you'll probably rather have a shield and Equip Swords instead.

And don't worry about your setup. Those three are among the strongest physical classes in the game.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Austere things posted:

Ah, thanks for the tips. I was wondering how much of a pain the fire ship would end up being, but I guess I can spend a little time grinding there. Also good to know that Geo will be more or less useless, so I might as well Zerk out until after everything to do with the fire crystal is over.
Just to add to that, I beat Sandworm with Quadzerks this year again (get at least one other class soon!) at 36/35 with Death Sickles. I did it at 40 last year so I'll take that as an improvement!

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

So it's my first Fiesta - I went with Popular because it's shiny and new, and threw a little Risk on there too.

Time/Ber/Sam/Bard

It doesn't look like a tricky composition or anything, but I've not really used any of the above much before - guess that's just part of the Fiesta.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Make sure you get the three songs before leaving World 1. AoE Stop and Confuse are wonderful things.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Man, I love having Bard for Drakenvale. In addition to the usual Requiem shenanigans, I remembered that Drippys will cast Return when confused, so every time I get ambushed by one of those rear end in a top hat Drippy/Eagle/Dragon groups, Alluring Air takes care of that bullshit right quick.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Broke Soul Cannon before it got a single Old in and I've been blessed with a third Berserker (after missing the speed trap). Excited to actually try Mix with my one controllable character!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Gah, got my first wipe this year to Titan's parting shot. Guess I'd better buy a few more potions. Brave you are, but I need to know you're facing Exdeath.

Nat
Apr 3, 2012

Doom Goon posted:

Just to add to that, I beat Sandworm with Quadzerks this year again (get at least one other class soon!) at 36/35 with Death Sickles. I did it at 40 last year so I'll take that as an improvement!

I did it at 43 with 4 Zerkers. I'm just happy I get to use my three other jobs now!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Excellent, just beat the Crystals. Now to Fifth Job and get rid of Dragoon! Hopefully I get a decent job like Samurai or Chemist instead of

Getting real tired of your poo poo Gilgabot!

The thing that really pisses me off is that I was going to take the full-power Brave Blade for :toxx:, but if I do that I don't know if I'll have the offense needed to take down Shinryu; Apollo Harp is beastly against him, but without Chicken Dance support it probably won't get the job done quickly enough.

gently caress it, I might just get crazy and go for it anyway. Perhaps Runezerker with Equip Harps and BBKnight can lend enough offense while the Dancer sings or something.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jun 19, 2017

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

RME posted:

brother

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Bufuman posted:

The thing that really pisses me off is that I was going to take the full-power Brave Blade for :toxx:, but if I do that I don't know if I'll have the offense needed to take down Shinryu; Apollo Harp is beastly against him, but without Chicken Dance support it probably won't get the job done quickly enough.

If nothing else works, there's always the Reflect + Zombie strategy. A bit tedious, but guaranteed.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
Did y'all know that Blue mages can stun the Grand Cross part of Ned indefinitely with mind blast? Because blue mages can stun the Grand Cross part of Ned indefinitely with mind blast. Also: A butt.

Don't mind the three dead people, that's because I somehow miscounted by 15000 loving health and almost got eaten by a Ned.

rundxdi
Feb 3, 2004

Soup Of The Day

Gettin worried about having nothing but time mages until the earth crystal... mostly archaeoavis since rods rods rods for everything else (once I have the patience to get some gil)

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Samuel Clemens posted:

If nothing else works, there's always the Reflect + Zombie strategy. A bit tedious, but guaranteed.

I forgot about that one because I've honestly never had to use it; Bard usually has enough support to take Shin out with Apollo's Harp damage. In this case though, I might have to consider it.

Might be a bit cheesy, but assuming I can take out Omega with Romeolock + Rune Axe hits, it would allow for me to Triple Crown my first run of the year, a feat I've failed to accomplish at all in the three previous years I did this thing (though in my defense, I do BR every year too).

Sushi Face
Oct 11, 2006

Tastes like funk
Well I was Ranger/Zerk/Zerk/Zerk but I guess I was killing things too quickly because the Krile job replaced the last Zerk with a Thief!

Magic is for chumps.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Samuel Clemens posted:

You're probably not going to get Dual-Wield until World 3, so Two-Handed will be your default option for most of the game. Late-game, dual-wielding is generally slightly better because it lets you bypass the damage cap. Though there are some fights where you'll probably rather have a shield and Equip Swords instead.

And don't worry about your setup. Those three are among the strongest physical classes in the game.

And rounding it out at the Earth Crystal is Dragoon. So somehow I've gotten a purely physical setup in Knight/Mystic/Ninja/Dragoon.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

rundxdi posted:

Gettin worried about having nothing but time mages until the earth crystal... mostly archaeoavis since rods rods rods for everything else (once I have the patience to get some gil)

Make sure to get the Main Gauche, but Haste, Slow, Regen and the Healing Staff will see you through pretty trivially.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

I want you all to know that this is utterly obscene in how simple it's been so far. I just did all the Dragon Grass stuff, for a progress report.

I have barely used Chemist stuff yet but I've got it all on hand for when I need it. Bad things will happen.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I got Blake Mage as my first job, that was pretty fun. My second job is Berserker. It's been too long since I've played this game, is Berserker actually bad, or is it just bad to have all Berserkers all the time?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Fhqwhgads posted:

And rounding it out at the Earth Crystal is Dragoon. So somehow I've gotten a purely physical setup in Knight/Mystic/Ninja/Dragoon.

Well, congrats on your second !Spellsword user, I suppose.

FreezingInferno posted:

I want you all to know that this is utterly obscene in how simple it's been so far. I just did all the Dragon Grass stuff, for a progress report.

I have barely used Chemist stuff yet but I've got it all on hand for when I need it. Bad things will happen.

I believe I had the exact same team last year. The fun really starts once you get Apollo's Harp.

Cavelcade posted:

It's been too long since I've played this game, is Berserker actually bad, or is it just bad to have all Berserkers all the time?

Both, kinda. They're slow (and bugged, so their first turn comes much later than anybody else's), they tend to mess up strategies revolving around Sleep, Confuse, !Control, or anything like that, they often hit for half-damage if there are targets in the back-row, they can't focus down a particular enemy, their weapons are inaccurate and do random damage, they can't switch rows or equipment in battle, and they just plain don't benefit from all active abilities which don't confer stats.

All that being said, they are very durable and can actually do respectable damage under the right conditions (especially with a useful passive). Moreover, unlike the other commonly-cited "worst" classes (Red Mage, Monk, Geomancer), their damage doesn't get continually worse as you progress through the game. Having one definitely isn't the worst thing in the world.

Edit: I should point out that the iOS release adressed some of these issues, making the class considerably stronger overall.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 19, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cavelcade posted:

I got Blake Mage as my first job, that was pretty fun. My second job is Berserker. It's been too long since I've played this game, is Berserker actually bad, or is it just bad to have all Berserkers all the time?

Berserkers do heavy damage, and their weapon, axes, partly ignore defense (which is extremely relevant at parts) and often have useful attributes. They don't have any tricks, but over all they're fairly strong.

The problem is that you can't control what they target, and there are a handful of fights where that is a tremendous liability. It's still not that much of a problem if you only have one, but more than that and winning certain fights becomes extremely difficult.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

One berserker is fine, the benefits tend to outweigh the detriments in most situations (sadly getting blue magic that requires confuse is one of them). It's when you get more than one that the downsides really ramp up and limit your options.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Berserker isn't so bad when you have decent passive abilities to stick on them. Having three of them really sucks if only because if my one controllable character gets killed or incapacitated I'm in a lot of trouble.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Welp, couldn't take Shinryu in a straight damage race. He just hits too hard too fast, especially since half the team needs Coral Rings (or have !Hide as their secondary command, but obviously that's not an option for Berserker, and my Knight likes dealing 4000 damage a turn too much to give up Two-Handed).

So now I'm settling in while Zombiezerker Lenna knocks back Atomic Rays with her Reflect Ring for 200 damage a piece. :sigh:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sushi Face posted:

Well I was Ranger/Zerk/Zerk/Zerk but I guess I was killing things too quickly because the Krile job replaced the last Zerk with a Thief!

Magic is for chumps.

That actually sounds like an upgrade to me, because your thief just becomes a fast, controllable Berserker.

Rudicron
Oct 30, 2013

It's Lunchtime!

Get yourself a hotdog!

derra posted:

First time making a .gif. Am I doing this right?

https://twitter.com/D_Amagai/status/876440120492261376

Looks great, I've started a list with your name at the top.

I'll be rolling the donations into a lump sum every two weeks, for ease of bookkeeping.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Poque in the discord asked for Krile to stop staring at the player.

I obliged.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Blessed with Chemist! How many Turtle Shells should I try to get before going to W2?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I've had six attempts at Liquid Flame with the Zerks at level 19 and I'm not getting her below 1500 hp. I'm not seeing this happening without some impossible luck--like she switches to tornado right away and the party all misses three full rounds so she runs out of MP and then she only switches back and forth from tornado to hand without ever going human. I think that's one too many coin flips in a row to count on.

Pretty sure they gained an M at 19, anybody know when the next one is?

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

White/Zerk/Zerk/Zerk. I thought I was done when Meteor + Almagest went off but Basch was clutch and finished off the last part on the next swing.

Edit:

Free with Berserk + Blink

blakelmenakle fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Alxprit posted:

Blessed with Chemist! How many Turtle Shells should I try to get before going to W2?

Depending on your other team members, the answer lies somewhere between "zero" and "a lot".

• Locked thread