Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Hopper posted:

Right I bought 4 veal schnitzel for tomorrow. I will prepare Vienna style schnitzel, I.e. lightly dust in flour then dunk in egg then bread and then fry in a pan with a lot of oil.

I will make 2 of these the traditional way and 2 sous vide. Now these things are very thin, I'd say 1/3" 0.7-0.9 mm at most, how long so you recon they need? I wanna say 54 c for about 45 mins, but maybe I should use a slightly lower temperature as they will be in the pan until the crust is good, which means they will become more done, so I could go for rare instead of medium rare and hope the pan sorts it out.

kannst du mal einfach ein wienerschnitzel kochen, schlappschwanz? gott im himmel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I cooked schnitzel for 12 on fathers day on an unfamiliar electric stove at a vacation house. my jager-mushroom sauce loving sucked because the person in charge of packing didn't fuckin pack the chicken stock - but made a roux and used some bullion and white wine, and worcestershire. searing off a million cutlets on 4 lovely electric burners and holding them in an oven goddamn sucked, but my takeaway was 'add enough salt, and anything tastes good.' I think my cutlets were all over but it literally didn't matter because it was salty fried thin chicken breast with some mushroomy sauce, and everyone loved it. protip : add more butter to the frying pan.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

mindphlux posted:

kannst du mal einfach ein wienerschnitzel kochen, schlappschwanz? gott im himmel

ein richtiger fickschnitzel

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

mindphlux posted:

Hab ich gemacht, Experiment musste ausfallen zwecks Zeitmangel du Brezensalzer. Zefix.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a reason I can't use a Joule in the sink? I want to barbecue for six people and I don't think my pot is large enough.

Would it heat enough to sous Vide in a bathtub with about three inches of water?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a reason I can't use a Joule in the sink? I want to barbecue for six people and I don't think my pot is large enough.

Would it heat enough to sous Vide in a bathtub with about three inches of water?

Sink yes, bathtub no - water won't get high enough to circulate and if it was high enough there'd be too much water.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

How would you guys modify a traditional Sauerbraten to a modern spin and SV instead.

By traditional, i mean with the whole brine then braise. (http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Classic-Sauerbraten)

I'm thinking a 2-3 day dry brine with the aromatics and a reasonably salty rub, a 127f puddle for ~6-10hours. then bag juices into the sauce. then give the roast a quick trip into the hot oven for color.

Thoughts?

edit: Sauerbraten Short Ribs!

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 20, 2017

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
If she claims to have eaten it in Cologne in 1963, I'd start by using horse meat instead of beef. Rheinischer Sauerbraten used to be made from horse meat until people got squeamish about their animal friends.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Gents, avoiding the "why don't you just cook it a normal way?!" chatter, I am making a warm spinach salad for dinner. I want to have some nice soft boiled eggs for it. (Bright orange, viscous...) but no white shot. Anyone have a good temp and time for this? Bonus if I can leave it sit in the puddle for an hour or two...
Thanks!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

boiling > 6 minutes > ice bath

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

boiling > 6 minutes > ice bath

Yeah? I don't know if I've just had poor luck or what but I feel like that amount of time has left me with runny whites near the interior.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Feenix posted:

Yeah? I don't know if I've just had poor luck or what but I feel like that amount of time has left me with runny whites near the interior.

Altitude?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Sea Level, basically. Maybe I just hosed it up?

See when I look up Soft Boiled Eggs.. I see a lot of deviation:

6 minutes: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/jammy-soft-boiled-eggs

6 minutes: http://assets.simplyrecipes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/cut-hard-boiled-eggs-6-10-16.jpg

I want them on the thick side of runny (yolk) but not snotty in the whites.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Feenix posted:

Sea Level, basically. Maybe I just hosed it up?

See when I look up Soft Boiled Eggs.. I see a lot of deviation:

6 minutes: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/jammy-soft-boiled-eggs

6 minutes: http://assets.simplyrecipes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/cut-hard-boiled-eggs-6-10-16.jpg

I want them on the thick side of runny (yolk) but not snotty in the whites.

Simplyrecipies photo must be from cold to boil then 6 minutes.

Use less water than you think you need with a lid and try again, I hardly cover my eggs. If you just want a custard yolk there's a 67c @ 45min egg iirc but double check that. I don't really SV eggs anymore except for scrambled so my memory is fading.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 21, 2017

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/the-egg-calculator

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So I've got a duck thawing in the refrigerator, and was hoping to do the duck breasts tomorrow, which seems easy enough...what about the legs-any ideas? I'm guessing confit, but not sure how I'll get the duck fat to cook it in as I won't be rendering any fat (I don't think I will).

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Appreciate the link but this was so far off base for me. I put in exactly how I wanted the eggs. Firm white, runny yellow. I gave it specifics on egg size, temp (refrigerated) etc...

What I got was unpeel-ably soft whites and a gummy hard yolk.

Weird. That's the first time in my experience that a chef steps recipe has led me astray.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Feenix posted:

Appreciate the link but this was so far off base for me. I put in exactly how I wanted the eggs. Firm white, runny yellow. I gave it specifics on egg size, temp (refrigerated) etc...

What I got was unpeel-ably soft whites and a gummy hard yolk.

Weird. That's the first time in my experience that a chef steps recipe has led me astray.
to be fair, eggs aren't suited to be cooked all the way through at the same time. the only other thing I can think to do is to get the yolk however you like it -> drop it into freshly boiled water for a few minutes to firm up the white -> ice shock to stop cooking

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Oh yeah no I totally appreciate the link and the assistance. Just found it odd how far off base that calculator was.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

probably too many variables for it to work reliably, eggs being effected by age and whathaveyou. pity they took away the time/temp page that showed what temps produced what.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
It's hot here. We're doing a dinner party where we're going to eat outside. I'm going to pat my SV steak dry and throw it on my gas grill instead of a hot pan. First time using my grill after an immersion bath. I'd love some pointers...

How hot? How long per side? I want it with a nice crust but leaving the inside medium rare.

Thanks.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Grill as hot as you can get it. Flip every 15-20 seconds. No more than 2 minutes total on the grill, preferably less.

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

Feenix posted:

It's hot here. We're doing a dinner party where we're going to eat outside. I'm going to pat my SV steak dry and throw it on my gas grill instead of a hot pan. First time using my grill after an immersion bath. I'd love some pointers...

How hot? How long per side? I want it with a nice crust but leaving the inside medium rare.

Thanks.
I've had good luck throwing my cast iron directly into the grill for searing. It's very hard to get a gas grill hot enough to get the crust without cooking the interior on radiant heat alone

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So use the cast iron on the grill. Intriguing. Ok.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'd be careful. My grill at least can get north of 650 easily, and that's around the temperatures you use to strip a cast iron of its seasoning if you want to re-season.

It's steak, so what's wrong with using the grill grates themselves?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
The cast iron holds heat allowing for faster searing and thus a thinner crust.

E:This would be another good use for a pizza steel, maybe?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I was actually going to re-season Lodge 12 inch so maybe I'll do it on the grill (in the pan, that is...) anyway. :) but that is a good warning to know...

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have some baby backs I'm going to grill tomorrow, after sous viding. I'm following the 4-hour joule recipe.

I want to put barbecue sauce on them. Should I put the sauce in the bag and then sous vide it, or should I put something else in and just finish with the sauce? Should I put them in bags with something else and marinade overnight first?

e: I have liquid smoke but no molasses, and I have a dry rub I can do instead. If so, should I dry rub and let it sit overnight and then bag it to cook with oil tomorrow?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 24, 2017

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have some baby backs I'm going to grill tomorrow, after sous viding. I'm following the 4-hour joule recipe.

I want to put barbecue sauce on them. Should I put the sauce in the bag and then sous vide it, or should I put something else in and just finish with the sauce? Should I put them in bags with something else and marinade overnight first?

e: I have liquid smoke but no molasses, and I have a dry rub I can do instead. If so, should I dry rub and let it sit overnight and then bag it to cook with oil tomorrow?

I've done 12hr good eats and it's just dry rub then bag for 12hr. The extra time sitting with the rub might help. I've never added oil to them in the bag though. Then pull them out of the bag. Add another sprinkling of rub after patting dry. Then to the smoker/grill/oven for 2-3 hrs depending on temp.

sterster fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 26, 2017

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

nwiniwn posted:

So I've got a duck thawing in the refrigerator, and was hoping to do the duck breasts tomorrow, which seems easy enough...what about the legs-any ideas? I'm guessing confit, but not sure how I'll get the duck fat to cook it in as I won't be rendering any fat (I don't think I will).
Duck fat is something you can find at some upscale grocer's and butchers' shops. You can also buy it from e.g. amazon, although last time I checked the prices were pretty crazy unless you were buying like a gallon or more at a time (it keeps well in the fridge and even better in the freezer, but you're looking at like US$50+ for a bucket of duck fat).

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
My experience with breaking down whole ducks is that throwing the carcass and the scraps into a pot over low heat is good for at least a cup of fat. That should be sufficient for two legs' worth of sous vide confit (since you don't need to fill a pot with it). It probably wouldn't be enough for traditional confit. I just end up roasting a lot of potatoes.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
People keep posting and talking about this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHk275ZOc_Y

But I thought using garlic was a big no-no due to botulism? Are the guys in this video idiots?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Knifegrab posted:

People keep posting and talking about this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHk275ZOc_Y

But I thought using garlic was a big no-no due to botulism? Are the guys in this video idiots?

you can sous vide with fresh garlic. Just don't hold the finished product for more than a week. IE garlic confit should be eaten promptly.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jun 30, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It varies wildly depending on factors, but botulinum generally takes a long time to grow in the fridge. You're going to be safe for a week at least.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I've done 18 hour cooks with split whole cloves and my family is still alive

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

CrazyLittle posted:

you can sous vide with fresh garlic. Just don't hold the finished product for more than a week. IE garlic confit should be eaten promptly.

I thought garlic could like be sold in stores for a really long time because they perserve so well naturally?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Knifegrab posted:

I thought garlic could like be sold in stores for a really long time because they perserve so well naturally?

botulism grows in anaerobic environments, so it's not a concern until you put garlic in oil or mayonnaise etc. for long enough for spore growth

e: or stick it in a vacuum bag for extended lengths of time i guess

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I don't know what to believe anymore. Bear in mind I am an idiot too.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't it help to blanch the garlic before using it? My understanding is the bacteria are on the outside right? So quickly lob it in boiling water and then into a bag. Or does that not work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Hopper posted:

Wouldn't it help to blanch the garlic before using it? My understanding is the bacteria are on the outside right? So quickly lob it in boiling water and then into a bag. Or does that not work?

C. botulinum spores can survive boiling, so unless you're basically autoclaving your garlic it doesn't really work to kill those.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 1, 2017